AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

I think that the Crawler is meant to be our 'answer' to horde armies piling bodies onto objectives. 

I don't know if that will prove to be effective though. It could get tied up by backline ambushes. Perhaps they figured that the Leige Kavlos would then be able to dig out the Crawlers it has been buffing?

I really hope that Crematorian with Harvesters proves to be effective.  It looks like a thematic playstyle and at least the artifact bumps the Leige Kavalos' damage output up.

But I can see Petrifex being our Hagg Nar.  Every single ability is good. The command trait and artifact can be swapped around to a Leige Kavalos or to give a support hero an annoying jump in survivability. 

Very interested to see how things shake out over the next month.

@Scurvydog thanks for the batreps.

Just a thought i think our spells offer us some realy intresting answers to issues, a few that stand out

Drain vitality, drain vitality would make things such as a keeper of secrets upset as they fish for 6s and our rend is good enough that they may only be on a 6 to save

The othere is mortal contract, outside of the fact that its been suggested that it may stack. It would cripple units like darkling sorcerous on dragon. Magic phase, combat phase, ranged phaze and my combat phase would have the option of dealing d3 wounds

I've been looking at a 2k list it feels kind of hard to really get all I want in any one list or even like most of what I want. 

Kratakaros 

Soulmason 

Boneshaper 

20-10-10 mortek guard 

2 mortek crawlers 

Gothizzar harvester 

Mortek Bastilla 

1990/2000

I really wanted to fit in immortis guard but everything is pricey and I find I always get stuck with weird chunks that no unit can fit most of the time. 

3 hours ago, Scurvydog said:

My second game was against slaanesh (oh boy) with a keeper, chariot hero, masque, 2x20 marauders and 10 demonettes. Went as expected and was forced to commit wo the center objective (in rearguard action) with no way to get around him in time. His KoS stood behind a wall of marauders, using his 2" reach and forcing my to strike last. The big battle came down to my stalkers and morghast striking last. my Mortek killing a good bunch of screening demonettes, then the keeper killed all the stalkers, then struck again on killed 1 morghast. The morghast whiffed and got killed by 20 marauders.

My mortek held fast, but then his turn came and I was out of discipline points, the keeper then killed them too.

For some reason my opponent and onlookers complained about how overpowered my units were, with 3+ saves and rerolls, 6+ minion save etc. while my army just got hacked to pieces by nearly 1 model... 

This gave me the chuckles.  It really does sum up the typical reaction to Death in general.  If you can Scurvydog it might behoove you to explore other groups.  Some stores or clubs are just toxic.

Our über terrain piece is going to generate somewhat justified hate.  In that regard we’ll be in the same boat with those stupid water-logged elves.

• Haha 2

Sorry for the double post but I also have a 2nd list I've been considering which is a different outlook than the first. 

Kratakaros 

Vokmortian 

10-10-10 Mortek Guard 

3-3 Immortis Guard 

2 Morghast (not sure which) 

Gothizzar Harvester 

Aegis immortal 

Endless spell maybe carrion? 40 left for it. 

1960+ endless spell 

1 hour ago, Izikail said:

Just been making lists with katakros useing mortis preatoriams so i still get the 1 better save then realised that petrafix get a better ca, atrifact and ct so its still not realy worth it :(

You can still include Katakros in the other subfactions, he just won't gain the benefit of them. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DioRa said:

I'd assume you could've casted the shrieker on a support wizard like the soulmason? Sure the -1 to cast hurts him more than Arkhan (thanks to his own buffs to casting).

I like the carrion on paper for Arkhan and Nagash. But also like the shrieker a lot just to help out our units. Not convinced on the predator sadly.

The Carrion only heals the caster who is soul-linked with it, and Arkhan was the one getting into the thick of it.

The shrieker I didn't get to cast because the Soulmason was doing the Relentless Discipline spell and the Soul Guide Spell as his two castings each turn. Next time around I would not give him the RD cast (which is so crucial) so that he can do a soul-linked spell.

@Gwendar 

You may of course, sharing is caring!

Mark 2 of the list would bump up the size of the Guard, and maybe swap 1 unit for some Deathriders for the objective grab. I'm not sure Morghast are best use of points, or that you would need all those endless spells, but that is the fun of trying things out. 

Ah, new army releases are such magical times. 

Edited by Tronhammer NZ

So i'm thinking of starting off with a 1k list here, and I remember seeing something similiar to what I have a while ago. But was just looking for some feedback on it.

Petrifex Elite

Liege Kavalos - 200 

BoneShaper (Empower Nadirite Weapons) - 130 

Soulreaper (Reinforce Battle-shields / Or maybe Drain Vitality) - 120

Mortek Guard 1x20 swords - 260

Mortek Guard 1x20 swords - 260

Endless Spell Bone-tithe Shrieker - 30

1000/1000

So what does the math say about Mortek Guards and the greatsword? Is it better than the nadirite blade?
Someone said it won't count towards the nadirite blade rule and that it might be FAQed.
So I am kinda wondering how to build my 20 Mortek Guards..
Haven't decided if I should build tjhem as one block of 20 or 2 blocks of 10 (1 or two hekatos).
And haven't decided if I should add my greatswords to the hekatos or not.. It kinda depends on whether it's better  or not..
Looks wise I would say I want Hekatos with just a sword and board, but wondering if I am missing out on a lot of damage potential or if it's actually the beteter choice to use nadirite blade sicne you get 2 attacks on that and thus have a better chance of getting 6s..
Not sure I am making much sense, but any thoughts on the matter?

And also, while I'm on the subject.. I assume no one (including the rules) would mind if I dont follow the paint scheme of the Petriflex Elite and still go with that subfaction? Since I like the purple and bone paint scheme more.. 

Edited by Nuradin

Looking for opinions for a hyper competitive list, this is what I'm trying this weekend

Petrifex elite

Liege general with the trait and artifact 

Soulmason

Boneshaper x2

20x mortek guard x3

Crawler x2

3x stalkers

1980 points

Edited by Blitzd

19 minutes ago, Blitzd said:

Looking for opinions for a hyper competitive list, this is what I'm trying this weekend

Petrifex elite

Soulmason

Boneshaper x2

20x mortek guard x3

Crawler x2

3x stalkers

1980 points

With 20 points left, you could throw in a carrion for funsies?

Edited by Arcian

20 minutes ago, Blitzd said:

*snip*

12 minutes ago, Arcian said:

With 20 points left, you could throw in a carrion for funsies

This. 

I think with this army, every point counts and if you can squeeze in anything else, then do it. If you don't use it, it is there if you end up needing it. It can't hurt can it?? 

Edited by Heijoshin

I am really liking the look of this army, and it is a good thing that building a list is so hard (varied lists are good for your mental health). However, It would have been nice to have some battleline if's for our more expensive heroes

• Nagash
    • Morghast Harbingers/Archai as battleline (like LON)
      • Probably won't use it, but its nice to have the option for more friendly games
  • Katakros
    • Necropolos Stalkers as battleline
      • Immortis Guard are probably more thematic, but stalkers are probably more balanced

Our battleline units are pretty good though, so at least it is not a tax to bring them, but of course I would not have been against even more diversity in builds.

3 hours ago, gronnelg said:

I haven't had the chance to look at OBR all that much. But what kind of army are they? Charge and hit hard, grind game, summoning, shooty list..?

The best part about this army is the amount of options they have. Many AoS armies these days are very thematic and a bit one note in that regard, but the bonereapers function a bit more like classic armies, having access to tough but slow troops, fast and decenly hard hitting cavalry, artellery, elite big guys and a bunch of varied hero options.

I recommend reading the community article showing of 3 very different army lists, including a crematorium list with Arkhan the black leading a bunch of mortek guard infantry backed up by harvesters to exlode on death and regen again. A cavalry focused list and another focused on a shieldwall guarding a bunch of catapults is also shown. Some things will be objetively stronger than others, but there are options for many lists and themes if you want to pursue them.

I do think you will like the army the most if the idea of somewhat more classic medieval warfare appeals to you, but with a significant death twist on top and a monster or two. The infantry behaves a lot like you would expect trained soldiers to do back then, forming shield walls and holding the line. While the cavalry is very fast and packs a hard punch when charging, while also being able to dig in pretty deep on the charge (with +3" to pile in).

Even the wizards are more supportive characters than mortal wounds spamming powerhouses and commanders are important for actually commanding. Karakros embodies this, by standing there on his rock, by default hardly moving or fighting at all, but simply improving everything else and hindering the opponent.

The army fits the lore well and the mentality of Nagash, it is a patient army, deliberate, methodical, imposing and impervious to fear, but also somewhat predictable and "easy" to counter plan against, as they do not have many really nasty surprise tricks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, christophe said:

I will try to fit deathriders mounts skulls on my immortis guards for an egyptian god-beast look

That's an excellent idea. Too bad I decided to give my Nighthaunts the egyptian look already or I'd do that too. ^^

4 hours ago, Blitzd said:

Petrifex elite

Soulmason

Boneshaper x2

20x mortek guard x3

Crawler x2

3x stalkers

1980 points

I'd consider swapping the stalkers to Immortis Guard. They don't hit as hard, but they have a 2+ save and eat wounds for your heroes on a 2+, so your opponent can't just pick off your heroes to start dismantling the list; it's especially good with the relatively fragile hero core you're bringing.

I think any hyper-competitive list should run Arkhan unless it's bringing Nagash though. He gets all the spells in the lore, gets the subfaction benefits, can heal 4 units every round (including himself, because he gets the keyword as part of the army), and is good in combat for a pretty cheap point cost of 360, and he's basically only 2nd to Nagash in terms of magic.

If it's true that the deathriders can use their ability multiple times on the same charge, that'll probably end up being the most competitive list. 20-30 mortal wounds because 1 model out of 10-15 is within range of a unit after the charge and you burned 6 command points is brutal.

Edited by Asamu

What do you guys think of this as a starter list?

Petrifex Elite

Liege Kavalos: General, +2 Wound trait and ignore first wound item.
Boneshaper: Empower Weapons.
Soulmason: Empower Shields.

20 Guard: Blades.
20 Guard: Blades.
6 Stalkers: Blades.
5 Deathriders: Blades.

Crawler.
Harvester: Bludgeons.

Bonetithe Shrieker.

2000pts

Kavlos and Deathriders roll together.  I figure I need something fast for grabbing objectives and this is all we have. I think the Guard with blades are actually pretty solid models. I also really wan Stalkers with blades to be amazing. The Crawler seems good, but it's going to end up sitting there undefended. Maybe I'll break one of the 20 Guard units into 2x10.

Is it weird I haven't bothered with the extra two-handed swords in any of the units?

It's also interesting that the Shrieker buffs all hit rolls- not just melee. So it'll buff the Crawler and Harvester's guns.

The more I look at it, the more I feel like I need less characters and more actual meat. Everything is so expensive. There's this weird Skornergy between wanting to run min-max to get more discipline points and being able to get the most out of buffing units.

At least with this, I'm generating 4 points and rolling 9D6.