The Rumour Thread

29 minutes ago, Aryann said:

. It's supposed to be well balanced...

Says who?

That's the biggest thing that pushes me from 40k miniatures - the space marines all over the place. Grey Knights, Ultramarines, Deathwatch, Blood Angels - for me that's a one faction and it doesn't deserve to be put in every single box.

Sales would say otherwise. ☺

21 minutes ago, Bjarni St. said:

Well, love it or hate it the market apparently demands infinite Space Marines and it's hard to fault GW too much for picking low-hanging fruit.

I can imagine other factions to sell better if they received as many updates. Perhaps some armies are omitted by players because they are afraid those factions are dead and won't be seeing any updates soon.

• Like 1

Guys. GW has always had a flagship faction or two for each of their properties. It's how they roll. At least in Age of Sigmar, they have two flagship factions - Bloodbound and Stormcast - and they aren't really neglecting any of the other factions (at least the ones that they actually intend to support, as opposed to the compendium factions, which I have a feeling are going to be supported in name alone).

55 minutes ago, Aryann said:

I can imagine other factions to sell better if they received as many updates. Perhaps some armies are omitted by players because they are afraid those factions are dead and won't be seeing any updates soon.

This is totally why I've not blown like  £600 into chaos dwarves, 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ElectricPaladin said:

Guys. GW has always had a flagship faction or two for each of their properties. It's how they roll. At least in Age of Sigmar, they have two flagship factions - Bloodbound and Stormcast - and they aren't really neglecting any of the other factions (at least the ones that they actually intend to support, as opposed to the compendium factions, which I have a feeling are going to be supported in name alone).

So they aren't neglecting any of the factions... except for the ones they are? :P 

Even with the AoS factions, some of them are already stretched wafer thin, like the Fyreslayers and the Bonesplitterz.

Not that I am in the complaining camp when GW announce a new Stormcast, but I can certainly see how some players feel their faction gets neglected. 

Edited by bottle
  • Like 1

So they aren't neglecting any of the factions... except for the ones they are? [emoji14] 
Even with the AoS factions, some of them are already stretched wafer thin, like the Fyreslayers and the Bonesplitterz.
Not that I am in the complaining camp when GW announce a new Stormcast, but I can certainly see how some players feel their faction gets neglected. 

It is my thoughts and opinions that GW is releasing factions as it pertains to the evolving AoS background. Last we knew... Slaanesh had ate most of the Elven souls. I think when the story catches up to Slaanesh, we'll have a LOT of Aelf releases.

- Cedric

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bottle said:

So they aren't neglecting any of the factions... except for the ones they are? :P 

*Sigh* I guess I deserved that.

What I meant was that some factions aren't being "neglected" so much as they are being sidelined. Permanently back-burnered. Unofficially pseudo-squatted. Technically they exist but they aren't going to play a central role in the narrative and they aren't going to get new models.

Kind of like the Sisters of Battle, except GW continues to throw them some narrative love even as the codex and model line languish.

I think that there's a difference between the way GW is treating those factions that they just abandon for years at a time, all the while claiming that they are still important and continuing to include them in the narrative, and the factions in Age of Sigmar that are clearly not viable. It's a matter of clarity.

I think the smart thing did with fyreslayers etc was make it clear that it is a small faction. If you want to play fyreslayers here are the units, here are the minis. That's all you are getting. If you want more variety do a grand alliance army.

Whereas with the Stormcast it was clear from the beginning that more was coming. Look at these mysterious chambers. I wonder what they could be?

People shouldn't treat the smaller factions as though they are intended to be played on their own. The intention is that you would not play a 100% spiderfang grots army... they only have 3 models. I guess you could, but it would be very boring to paint. Smaller forces are intended to function as groups in larger armies.

1 hour ago, Karlbonner said:

People shouldn't treat the smaller factions as though they are intended to be played on their own. The intention is that you would not play a 100% spiderfang grots army... they only have 3 models. I guess you could, but it would be very boring to paint. Smaller forces are intended to function as groups in larger armies.

That kind of distinction is really troublesome. How could you tell which factions are the main ones and which are only for the fluff? Especially when Fyreslayers receive their battletome long before any of the Aelfs? It was one of the first AoS factions so I expected them to play an important role. And what about Beastclaw Raiders? Thats a major faction, small or something in between? They had rather made that clear. It would save many bad emotions and disappointments for many players.

Edited by Aryann

I've messed around with sharpening the image of Rob and the artwork.  Light sources are muzzle flashes without a doubt, pretty positive it's Thousand Sons too as you can just about make out the odd head piece.  The winged bit Rob has covered is Magnus - you can see his head horns.  Not 100% convinced it's a Gaunt Summoner although the silhouette is similar it seems too large and more similar to Thousand Sons Sorcerer - although time will tell on that one.

I still reckon Magnus is going to be a "character" upgrade that uses sprues from a Lord of Change in the same way Skarbrand uses sprues from the Bloodthirster.  I'll stick my neck out and say he won't have a warscroll as the leaked box art is branded up Thousand Sons which are all know are 40k (Glotkin doesn't have a 40k profile so there is some basis here).  However I fully expect to see people using him as a Lord of Change - and why not :D

What I'm curious about is to see is when he's released.  I read one rumour that it was Q2 next year which makes sense as Inferno (Horus Heresy Prospero campaign book - including Russ and Magnus) was/is due for release this year - but we know that GW tweak scheduling so who knows, he may come out sooner than originally planned.

Also agree the weekend release could be a new Lord Relictor - and although I understand the comments on "more stormcast" don't forget that there are 6 character models you cannot buy outside of the Age of Sigmar starter set.  If this is the start of them releasing those as clam packs (or at least models that you could use for those 6 characters) this could also hint at us getting a new starter set next year to reflect the next age of AoS?

Don't you love official rumours that just allow for more guesswork :D

sharpened.jpg

• Like 1

You're right - that is Ahriman's staff. Dang.

This is totally why I've not blown like  £600 into chaos dwarves, 

Number of new models released for Chaos Dwarves = 1 in July 2016 or so (Shar'Tor).

Number of new models released for Death = 0.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nico said:

You're right - that is Ahriman's staff. Dang.

Number of new models released for Chaos Dwarves = 1 in July 2016 or so (Shar'Tor).

Number of new models released for Death = 0.

More the threat of the army not being any significant feature of the story.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Beasts of Nurgle said:

Main GW are doing the daemon primarchs for 40k! Of course will give the guy the benefit of the doubt until I see it in person, plus I heard somewhere it'll be a dual kit for a regular Lord of change maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the rumor; dual-kit with a new Lord of Change + Daemon Magnus.

I, for my own opinion, am 100% sure the new Stormcast model will be a wizard.

Since we are entering the Tzeentch phase of the story it only makes sense for Sigmar to unleash his equivalent of sorcerers and magic users.

The big question in my mind is will there be more models and a battletome ala Extermis ?