The Rumour Thread

31 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

Sorry, it was second hand knowledge from a buddy who read it while he was coming home on the bus.  Pretty sure it's all gone.  Apparently a dragon and rider and the army is based on poison attacks.

Sounds a bit like the Cities stuff in Broken Realms: Morathi.

1 hour ago, Aelfric said:

Sounds a bit like the Cities stuff in Broken Realms: Morathi.

Without knowing the thread, that was what I was thinking too! I guess we'll find out relatively soon enough - although I suspect Malerion will probably leave the dragon imagery back in the World-That-Was and poison attacks would be a nice way to differentiate a CoS city from those we already have~

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

Without knowing the thread, that was what I was thinking too! I guess we'll find out relatively soon enough - although I suspect Malerion will probably leave the dragon imagery back in the World-That-Was and poison attacks would be a nice way to differentiate a CoS city from those we already have~

Misthavn in Ulgu seems to be a centre for drugs, from the Community article, so poisons are probably a business they also deal in.  Looking forward to getting my hands on the book.

2 hours ago, Popisdead said:

Sorry, it was second hand knowledge from a buddy who read it while he was coming home on the bus.  Pretty sure it's all gone.  Apparently a dragon and rider and the army is based on poison attacks.

not sure if it means anything but a side note is that Poison attacks (poison weaponry) is a Dark Eldar mechanic. speculation is that the rumors is basing that they are bring that kind of theme/mechanic to Malerion's Aelves. 

5 minutes ago, novakai said:

not sure if it means anything but a side note is that Poison attacks (poison weaponry) is a Dark Eldar mechanic. speculation is that the rumors is basing that they are bring that kind of theme/mechanic to Malerion's Aelves. 

Only reason why I am sceptical is that AoS has in the past always tried to have unique (read: immune to cheaper third-party alternatves) armies. We didn't get regular duardin, we got naked crazed fire duardin and hyper-capitalist steampunk duardin. We didn't get High Elves, we got Cow-Worshipping Elemental Magic-wielding Vulcans. We didn't get regular skeletons, we got a vaguely byzantine bone mafia. We got soulless elves riding flying sharks! Copying Dark Eldar (or having someone riding a dragon akin to Malekith riding his trusty drake Seraphon) feels...almost out of place from current Age of Sigmar. Almost too mundane. While I am myself a fan of both the Dark Eldar and the classic Dark Elves of yore, I expect some unique twist upon the 'Umbraneth' (if that is their name!). And while poison weapons could otherwise fit, the fact GW would be borrowing the mechanic from Dark Eldar, combined with the previously mentioned dragon rider, makes me feel a bit cautious to believe the rumour yet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

The core of the Lumineth is spearmen, archers and cavalry backed up with some hammer infantry. That's almost the same as the high elf army; in fact I'd wager there's more than a few "high elf" models being used instead of lumineth models. The whole "GW is trying to avoid cheap copies" doesn't really work as a concept. If you're going to use a cheaper elf with a spear then any elf with a spear will do as such. 

Plus that only accounts for things like Kings of War; meanwhile groups like Wargame Exclusive make sculpts which are unique in their own style and yet copy GW themes and concepts. Granted there's way more of this for 40K than AoS in genera; but you've got groups like Raging Heroes doing their own take on fantasy and sci-fi armies in abundance and GW's efforts don't stop them.

As for an elf riding a dragon, that's very much in AoS. We've got them already in fact. Granted AoS does have fewer dragons in general, but I don't see it as a theme GW is trying in any way to avoid. Heck Daughters of Khaine come right form greek mythology; Khadorans are jsut steampunk dwarves; 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Overread said:

The core of the Lumineth is spearmen, archers and cavalry backed up with some hammer infantry. That's almost the same as the high elf army; in fact I'd wager there's more than a few "high elf" models being used instead of lumineth models. The whole "GW is trying to avoid cheap copies" doesn't really work as a concept. If you're going to use a cheaper elf with a spear then any elf with a spear will do as such. 

Plus that only accounts for things like Kings of War; meanwhile groups like Wargame Exclusive make sculpts which are unique in their own style and yet copy GW themes and concepts. Granted there's way more of this for 40K than AoS in genera; but you've got groups like Raging Heroes doing their own take on fantasy and sci-fi armies in abundance and GW's efforts don't stop them.

As for an elf riding a dragon, that's very much in AoS. We've got them already in fact. Granted AoS does have fewer dragons in general, but I don't see it as a theme GW is trying in any way to avoid. Heck Daughters of Khaine come right form greek mythology; Khadorans are jsut steampunk dwarves; 

Counterpoint would be IG since I feel many 40K player agree that the range  doesn’t get much love is that they are way to similar to bolt action minis, that GW doesn’t bother updating them because they can be easily rip off or proxy by other companies minis

55 minutes ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

Only reason why I am sceptical is that AoS has in the past always tried to have unique (read: immune to cheaper third-party alternatves) armies. We didn't get regular duardin, we got naked crazed fire duardin and hyper-capitalist steampunk duardin. We didn't get High Elves, we got Cow-Worshipping Elemental Magic-wielding Vulcans. We didn't get regular skeletons, we got a vaguely byzantine bone mafia. We got soulless elves riding flying sharks! Copying Dark Eldar (or having someone riding a dragon akin to Malekith riding his trusty drake Seraphon) feels...almost out of place from current Age of Sigmar. Almost too mundane. While I am myself a fan of both the Dark Eldar and the classic Dark Elves of yore, I expect some unique twist upon the 'Umbraneth' (if that is their name!). And while poison weapons could otherwise fit, the fact GW would be borrowing the mechanic from Dark Eldar, combined with the previously mentioned dragon rider, makes me feel a bit cautious to believe the rumour yet.

yeah that I would put skepticism on the rumor (well is a second hand 4chan rumor) but I think GW using A similar poison weaponary mechanic for thé AoS dark elf spiritual successor army sound about right in my head

Edited by novakai

28 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

I read a comment on Facebook someone made about the Rumour Engine. King Brodd. 

Did you read or write that comment 🤔

I keep thinking that it could also be a very early teaser for a new destruction faction that we are currently unaware of. I will say Ogors and Gargants are much closer in terms of aesthetics than what we currently have. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

Malekith have merged with his dragon (seraphon) and they are now one person named malerion,so yes the deagon is gone and now he is a human with dragon parts(as morathi with serpents)

13 minutes ago, Doko said:

Malekith have merged with his dragon (seraphon) and they are now one person named malerion,so yes the deagon is gone and now he is a human with dragon parts(as morathi with serpents)

That's just one very old image. It doesn't mean his model has to turn out to look like that. In Soulbound, which came out this year he is described as such:

"When the Shadow King deigns to show himself to others, he often appears as an Aelf of dread aspect, encased in black iron and coiling tendrils of shadow, but the truth is that he can appear in any fashion he chooses."

So, much more like the old Malekith. But then, the picture they show in the same article is the same merged Aelf/Dragon picture you mention. What we most hear though about him lately is about Shadow Demons, and we don't know exactly how those look like. 

So a lot of possibilities and room for speculation : )

1 hour ago, Doko said:

Malekith did not merge with his dragon. That was something someone made up on a forum.

• Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

Did you read or write that comment 🤔

I keep thinking that it could also be a very early teaser for a new destruction faction that we are currently unaware of. I will say Ogors and Gargants are much closer in terms of aesthetics than what we currently have. 

Hahaha just read mate.

17 hours ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

I thought it also.

I also want to dig up the old City pdf for Dark Elves from 6th edition WFB to see how much AoS Cities of Sigmar DE matches.  GW is great at recycling over editions in a sneaky way.

At any rate, it's great we have stuff coming :)  exciting time for new content and support.

17 hours ago, novakai said:

um.  That was a little tricky to read.  

Correct, it is a Drukhari mechanic and I wouldn't be surprised to see it mirror in AoS.  GW likes that.  Luminenth mirrors the Craftworld lore re: hedonistic lifestyle.  

20 minutes ago, rosa said:

Boring rules...

More mortal wound spam and denying battleshock... Meh!

I don't really rate the boxed set battalion rules as that important personally.

The Ironscale ability is pretty interesting. She'll need to activate before the Melusai and successfully kill something, but +1 attack is a pretty juicy payoff if it works. Melusai scale really well with extra attacks.

I should note that model is a default model from the Witch Aelf pack. So I'm guessing the free model is just a model from the Witch Aelf pack, which would make sense, GW takes existing boxes and the store manage spends half an hour snipping the parts off to give to customers. 

Paint set system sounds very neat and its nice that the free pot is the most expensive not the cheapest (as many multibuys often are).

The coins are a bit of a pain, they look nice, but at the same time you've got to spend £60 to get them and its only in person in the store. Which is a problem if you're avoiding shops/going into town in general even when regions are not on lockdown. So this makes them rather tricky to get from "loot groups" and the like because you've got to up front spend a fair bit to get your one coin.