Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If I were to be a little cynical about it I would guess that these are probably an effort to shift older stock, unsold season 1/2 underworlds teams and terrain, old space marine kits to make way for primaris stuff, that kind of thing.  Personally I think the hobby is probably a little too pricey for me to get excited about the idea of discounted, random kits.  Would I buy a blind hero for a tenner?  Maybe, sure.  But a potential £120  worth of products I might have no interest in is not that appealing.

Oh they are very much aimed at shifting dead-stock or stuff that just isn't selling fast. 

I've seen them be pretty popular in certain gaming circles; competitive wargamers not so much because that breed tends to only want to buy very specific models. More build/paint fans or DnD/roleplaying groups though often love them because they are more interested in something to build and paint and random things to play with. An RPG DM might well have loads of models, some of which might only see use a few times for campaigns or once if at all. They are happy with it because what they want is variety for their games. Meanwhile builders and painters are fully into the construction and art sides of things so having spare parts and random projects can be fun for them.

Heck if they did one for armies I collected I'd be tempted; or one for Adepticus Titanicus etc...

They also don't really harm models sales; the only time is if you end up with a situation like Warmachine/Hordes has had where the company wound up on a LOT of deadstock and a bit of a dwindling marketing campaign because they then somewhat flooded their own market with models. GW is on the up and its very unlikely that they are sitting on vast amounts of unsold stock. So chances are that they won't hurt anyone.

My guess is the Underworld stuff will be outdated season 1 warbands, dice, card sleeves and other accessories. They'll probably throw a newer release in there so their 'influencers' can go, "s-see! It's not all old stock!"

• Haha 2

Two very different things, with very different ethical and legal considerations:

1) Loot crate for $80 with an amount of random stuff in it worth $160 (and maybe even the box is always the same so the first time someone buys one and posts online you know exactly what's in it).

2) Loot crate for $80 with an amount of random stuff in it that could vary from $40 to $4,000 based on increasingly unlikely odds.

1) is fine.  2) is very questionable. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

My guess is the Underworld stuff will be outdated season 1 warbands, dice, card sleeves and other accessories. They'll probably throw a newer release in there so their 'influencers' can go, "s-see! It's not all old stock!"

But 1st season warbands are still playable? You only need to replace non-specific cards? And there is no way to buy them with cards right now? So it's not the best but also not the worst deal.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

vary from $40 to $4,000 based on increasingly unlikely odds.

A loot box with 100skryre Acolytes, would sound incredible😂

Edited by Skreech Verminking

On 8/4/2020 at 9:49 AM, WarbossKurgan said:

I don't think so. I think there are Orcs, Goblins and  a Troll, but all of them are the existing (and still really nice!) BB versions.

Happy to be wrong! So happy!

*** MOD EDIT *** Sorry, no leaked pics please

• Like 8

I didn't realise people would be so negative about the mystery boxes. 

I'm under no delusion I'm going to get lots of warbands, I'm expecting  tokens, a playmat, objectives, cards, dice and a couple of warbands. 

If they do a AoS one I'll more than likely get one. 

On another note, those bb orcs look amazing! 

1 minute ago, Ogregut said:

I didn't realise people would be so negative about the mystery boxes. 

I think some of it is blowback because "loot boxes" have a very negative connection with online gamers right now (and we are on a forum so there's likely a lot of people who don't like loot crates and such in computer games). The other aspect is that some people just don't like random boxes and fear them becoming the norm; whilst others worry that its devaluing the brand/game etc...

In general its likely also taht its not as "interesting" as new models which is what people want. There's a lot of stuff that people are impatient for that, without Corona, we'd have had already.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Overread said:

I think some of it is blowback because "loot boxes" have a very negative connection with online gamers right now (and we are on a forum so there's likely a lot of people who don't like loot crates and such in computer games). The other aspect is that some people just don't like random boxes and fear them becoming the norm; whilst others worry that its devaluing the brand/game etc...

In general its likely also taht its not as "interesting" as new models which is what people want. There's a lot of stuff that people are impatient for that, without Corona, we'd have had already.

If it was a complete lucky dip then I wouldn't have got one, but I know the products and as the boxes are all the same I'm not to worried. 

I can see why they are doing them as well, with the new factory built, why transfer dead stock when you can sell it. 

I fully expect a AoS and Blackstone fortress one to drop. 

Edited by Ogregut

I see the supply drop boxes already sold out in GW EU.

I was tempted to buy one for Underworlds but then i remembered that the 50% off is for the standard Games Workshop retail prices.

I bought most of my Underwords products from retailers at 20% so the 50% off Games Workshop prices for random products doesn't sound very appealing.

It will be interesting to see what these boxes come supplied with though :)

16 hours ago, WarbossKurgan said:

These blokes would make for some awesome Ironjawz!!

Yeah I mean I have enough models unpainted. I don't need random ones to sit there unpainted. Lol

• Like 1

These loot boxes are $220 AUD each.

I'm frankly astounded anyone would want to pay that much for a lucky dip of what is probably old stock that isn't selling well.

I mean, most of us have a pile of shame already...

3 hours ago, 123lac said:

These loot boxes are $220 AUD each.

I'm frankly astounded anyone would want to pay that much for a lucky dip of what is probably old stock that isn't selling well.

I mean, most of us have a pile of shame already...

Yeah same here. On the german GW page the boxes sold out instant.

First i was also thinking about getting some UW-box, cause i havent bought the most of beastgrave stuff (but maybe there are 90% Season 1 and 2 stuff?). 
Then i saw it is only in english language (i don't like to mix the languages in 'one game') and while i was bickering .... 

aaaaand it's gone!

Well if it were a box set with which you could get any number of random skaven sets, I would have probably bought one.

But considering that it could have anything in it, really puts me off.

22 hours ago, Sleboda said:

Good for you! That's cheating.  If you want options, get more toys. :)

Cheating who? GW? I can't recall any warnings on the box that people are not allowed to make any physical modifications to the miniatures they bought. If magnetizing is cheating, so is kitbashing or any kind of conversion including bases made from other products than those sold by GW.

So far I didn't have to magnetise anything but never thought it was unfair to anyone. If at all, I'd rather think GW is cheating us forcing to buy several copies of the same product to have more options.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, WarbossKurgan said:

Those are looking nice. Seeing as my Ardboyz are converted from the current BB orcs, looks like i'll be able to expand the unit with these. 

Also will be interested to see the "Trained Troll" miniature.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aeryenn said:

Cheating who? GW? I can't recall any warnings on the box that people are not allowed to make any physical modifications to the miniatures they bought. If magnetizing is cheating, so is kitbashing or any kind of conversion including bases made from other products than those sold by GW.

So far I didn't have to magnetise anything but never thought it was unfair to anyone. If at all, I'd rather think GW is cheating us forcing to buy several copies of the same product to have more options.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joke

😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Aeryenn said:

You um, you did see the smiley, right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Necro team seems to be coming for Blood Bowl too. 

+++ MOD HAT +++ Please can we avoid leaked pictures!  They'll be on the WHCommunity site soon

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

FFS, well it looks like I really am going to have to start playing* Blood Bowl now aren't I and also I'll clearly need at least two of this team, one for BB and one to proxy into my Gloomspite army.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/08/06/waaagh-ere-come-da-black-orcs/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Twitter&utm_campaign=BB&utm_content=BBOrcs06Aug20

*or at least buying the models and thinking about playing

Qv5g9BBxuBb8KjkM.jpg

Edited by JPjr
  • Like 5