The Rumour Thread

1 minute ago, Luperci said:

"speeds up the game" followed by an entirely overwhelming and unnecessary chart to memorise

Lol. what to memorise? If conga lines are a concern just give units a fixed foot print. No piling in or measuring if the bases are in the correct coherency.

The KoW one is just an example how it can be done.

The KoW basing system is very, very, very simple to understand.

With the fixed melee range and 0.5" coherency AoS just wants to become a rank/file game without the tactical use of flank/rear charges.

They also removed the tactical use of pinning a unit in combat to reduce attacks back.

• Confused 1

That was a good shot for the goat bois. Really grazed me. 😅

I do wonder what their Legends rules will be? Maybe 2 Traits & 2 Battleforces focused on monster hunting for a last hurrah to chase some gargants into the horizon?

BoC I imagine are gonna be Rend crazy since it’s such a rarity in the game now. Plays on the Rend powers they had in AoS3 and it’ll be mooved out in  a year so they don’t hurt the meta for being an exception to the rule.

Edited by Baron Klatz

By the way was the whole

It’s also a big Chaos shindig with new looks at the Slaves to Darkness and Chaos Space Marines, so put on your spikiest helmet and join us all week

was that just the Darkoath spreus and the soft confirmation of Emperor Children? They word it as a big & mysterious deal but that pretty average 

1 hour ago, Luperci said:

"speeds up the game" followed by an entirely overwhelming and unnecessary chart to memorise

I know it's very "trust me bro" from someone who likes/knows the system, but the KoW unit plate thing is actually pretty easy to memorise when playing, I got used to it very quickly.
It's much like the common coherency formations you expect to see for units in AoS and memorise when you look at someone's list and think about how you're gonna verse them, or the common block facings and rows for WHFB.
It's actually a bit easier when you're used to the idea because theres a fixed amount across all armies and units.

I do understand though that some people don't like the idea of rectangles fighting rectangles. It's a very rank-n-flank centric concept. Anyway, doesn't matter much because we're not getting that system for this edition and probably never.

It's kinda funny how close this change moves us back towards WHFB unit blocks. I love it and hate it at the same time!

Edited by GloomkingWortwazi
  • Thanks 1

Whoa whoa whoa!

Was this mentioned here and I missed it? Had spotted it on Discord for a new Omnibus for the Mortal Realms.

Seems it has stories jumping between the first ever AoS novel “Gates of Azyr” to the newer stuff like Dominion.

Very nifty to see with how much AoS4 has felt like a big callback to AoS1 so good to get newbies caught up and absolutely beautiful cover. That’s an insta-buy for me! 👌 ️ 

(Plus anything Josh is a must)

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 4

44 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

Whoa whoa whoa!

Was this mentioned here and I missed it? Had spotted it on Discord for a new Omnibus for the Mortal Realms.

Seems it has stories jumping between the first ever AoS novel “Gates of Azyr” to the newer stuff like Dominion.

Very nifty to see with how much AoS4 has felt like a big callback to AoS1 so good to get newbies caught up and absolutely beautiful cover. That’s an insta-buy for me! 👌 ️ 

It will be gates of Azyr, Soul wars and Dominion. Those are the three edition tie in books. 

• LOVE IT! 2

3 hours ago, Dragon-knight77 said:

By the way was the whole

It’s also a big Chaos shindig with new looks at the Slaves to Darkness and Chaos Space Marines, so put on your spikiest helmet and join us all week

was that just the Darkoath spreus and the soft confirmation of Emperor Children? They word it as a big & mysterious deal but that pretty average 

I mean, that’s on you. It was not worded as some big reveal. We got rules for Darkoath, an article looking at the models, and the EC stuff. All were new looks. Sure, they used the word shindig, but that’s just a fun word. 

8 hours ago, Tonhel said:

If they really wanted to avoid conga lines or whatever the problem was with 1" coherency. They should have done something like KoW. Give each unit a fixed dimension / Footprint. It speeds up the game and you don't have to pile in. All the new rules still would work with it. (I think).

I prefer Turnip approach: 1" for all models and a fixed distance between the models all of them (turnip28 has 8") in the same unit.

01.jpg.4c9ec057411b42452c7d5a34767e7939.jpg

AoS is a little bit more tricky cause there are a lot of diferent bases and a range of 3 to 20 models for each unit. But I wound't mind to see a new "stat" on each warscroll to fix that (like Malifaux bases/size on each card).

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tonhel said:

Yeah, but I think most is looking fine. I quite like how strong those Kroxigors are now and I can appreciate the rock paper scissors approach which gives each unit a well defined task. It's clear that the game is focussed on competive play with lots of casualties once in melee. 

But that 0,5" approach I really don't see the benefit of it. I only see negatives. What is the purpose of it? I don't play in a competive environment, so nobody really abuses the rules. Same as we don't abuse the rules with TOW. 

My first thought was that they intended the shorter coherency distance to close the loophole where miniatures on 25mm bases, but nobody else, can deploy in a long line.

Based on my personal experience, this change won't affect me a lot. I already have my 25mm base dudes in base-to-base contact all of the time, and now with 3" combat ranger there will be even less reason to ever take them off their movement trays.

I wish, though, that we had gone back to "within" instead of "wholly within" on measurements, since the conga lines that originally necessitated that change are now completely impossible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Beliman said:

I prefer Turnip approach: 1" for all models and a fixed distance between the models all of them (turnip28 has 8") in the same unit.

01.jpg.4c9ec057411b42452c7d5a34767e7939.jpg

AoS is a little bit more tricky cause there are a lot of diferent bases and a range of 3 to 20 models for each unit. But I wound't mind to see a new "stat" on each warscroll to fix that (like Malifaux bases/size on each card).

Yes, that and i.e that 8" for Turnip could be higher for "horde" units.

There are many solutions to avoid conga lines. Here is an example of Barons War ruleset. Lots of possibilities that could have avoided the 0,5", but I guess they secretly want back to WFB/TOW basing 😄 

image.png.8ce572247dc2d2d485a288bd54c77f87.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

Whoa whoa whoa!

No. I don't think it was mentioned here. The cover is ACE!

With a bit of luck it gets translated into Spanish, as omnibus tend to be picked over single books, IIRC.

I seem to remember someone was saying that standard bearers/musicians were going to be back to one per unit (a la Fantasy Battle). The "standard bearer (1/5)" on the Vindictors warscroll suggests otherwise.

Which pleases me. I like the visuals of having my units festooned with banners and icons! 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

No. I don't think it was mentioned here. The cover is ACE!

With a bit of luck it gets translated into Spanish, as omnibus tend to be picked over single books, IIRC.

I know I always go for omnibuses first(to the point I have to make sure they only contain one story I already own 😅)

I love the variety of getting to see so many fun snippets of different factions & places in the Realms through one read through. Easily AoS’ biggest strength that you can quickly hop between a Stormcast, Grot, Kharadron, Deepkin, Chaos Warlord to Sylvaneth and keep a fresh flavor each.

Here’s hoping it gets translated with the announcement! 🤞 

13 minutes ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

I seem to remember someone was saying that standard bearers/musicians were going to be back to one per unit (a la Fantasy Battle). The "standard bearer (1/5)" on the Vindictors warscroll suggests otherwise.

Which pleases me. I like the visuals of having my units festooned with banners and icons! 

Yeah, between units acting like walking life bars, with the important units removed last, and equipment being mostly cosmetic that seems to be easily done now you can go crazy with parade flag units instead.

I know with Libs now not caring if they go to battle armed with dual-shields I could also kitbash some flag units for fun to harken back to those Realmgate Wars flag bearers we never got.

Warhammer-Fantasy-fb-%25D0%25BF%25D0%25B

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

9 hours ago, Luperci said:

What is there to memorise? This chart is only important when assembling and putting your minis on trays or multibasing. During the game you can tell what the unit is by looking at it. Their footprints are different enough to make it impossible to mistake them for one another.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Starfyre said:

I played in a recent tournament with someone with these and he was fine until he needed to pile-in, whereby they became a total hindrance.

Depends on the magnets. If too strong, you will have some problems, but with proper magnets minis just slide on the tray and the tray itself is almost flat and doesn't get in the way. For small units (3-5-6) these trays are on overkill, but for big infantry blocks they speed up a game significantly.

That is, once you simply get the habit of putting the models base to base in ranks and thus stop concerning yourself with coherency rules and related positioning shenanigans.

15 minutes ago, Flippy said:

Depends on the magnets. If too strong, you will have some problems, but with proper magnets minis just slide on the tray and the tray itself is almost flat and doesn't get in the way. For small units (3-5-6) these trays are on overkill, but for big infantry blocks they speed up a game significantly.

That is, once you simply get the habit of putting the models base to base in ranks and thus stop concerning yourself with coherency rules and related positioning shenanigans.

I use them on for Steelhelms and they are a huge time saver. Since I magnetize for transport anyway, they are very convenient. Highly recommend them.

25 minutes ago, michu said:

What is there to memorise? This chart is only important when assembling and putting your minis on trays or multibasing. During the game you can tell what the unit is by looking at it. Their footprints are different enough to make it impossible to mistake them for one another.

Sure, if you ignore the fact that KoW is square-based, rank-and-file game, which is the opposite of what AoS is supposed to be, there's definitely no reason why GW shouldn't implement a similar design.

Oh, and aside from the fact that they only just released a different, square-based, rank-and-file game. 

But other than that, there's absolutely no reason.