The Rumour Thread

Honestly, I can't tell you how happy these make me. 

These sculpts are perfect, absolutely perfect, the paintjobs as well.

Looking at the old Clanrats I really didn't know what to expect as I thought they were decent anyway, but seeing the facial features, the sculpting on the cloth and the character moulded into these guys. The poses, the little details that we never had before. They've understood what makes their aesthetic shine. The mix of chainmail, hoods, weapons.

They look like a proper representation of their artwork.

Honestly, these are perfect. I want a full army immediately. Skaven were the first army I collected when I was given my first White Dwarf because they reminded me of the Red wall books, pretty much the only literature I was interested in. 

Perfect, perfect, perfect.

• Like 3

Love how they kept them simple yet detailed. These are minis you will paint in the dozens and you won't spend hours on a single clanrat, but hopefully the models look quite simple to paint. You have your fur, your tail/ears/muzzle, the clothes and the metal. The details are mostly on the fur. You can easily paint them with slapchop and contrast paints, or paint them the old way with base paints, generous amounts of Agrax Earthshade and drybrush over it and you'll have good looking clanrats quickly.

And it doesn't matter if they're not painted to studio levels, because Skaven are meant to look like ******. Just like Nurgle you can get away with getting sloppy in your paint job. 

Edited by The Lost Sigmarite
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Black_Templar_Lad said:

Honestly, these are perfect. I want a full army immediately. Skaven were the first army I collected when I was given my first White Dwarf because they reminded me of the Red wall books, pretty much the only literature I was interested in. 

Yeah they are great. I've always wanted a Skaven army since reading the 4th edition Skaven army book and attempted it around 6th or 7th edition and cried a lot from painting slaves. I think I'm ready to attempt it again :D 

• LOVE IT! 1

3 minutes ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

Love how they kept them simple yet detailed. These are minis you will paint in the dozens and you won't spend hours on a single clanrat, but hopefully the models look quite simple to paint. You have your fur, your tail/ears/muzzle, the clothes and the metal. The details are mostly on the fur. You can easily paint slapchop them with contrast paints, or paint them the old way with base paints, generous amounts of Agrax Earthshade and drybrush over it and you'll have good looking clanrats quickly.

And it doesn't matter if they're not painted to studio levels, because Skaven are meant to look like ******. Just like Nurgle you can get away with getting sloppy in your paint job. 

If people haven't already, I highly recommend watching Vince Venturella's videos on speedpainting and Skaven.. although given how much he loves Skaven, I'm fairly certain he'll have new ones coming for the new edition anyway.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 4

They’re good. The gaunts comparison is apt, a glow up on the old ones which I’d maintain was not vital but works. The sculpting technology (or just the technique of sculpting and/or painting) appears to have come on in how sharply they distinguish between fur and skin.

They’re really made for contrast paints. Everything is a bit more textured and mangy, the better to get that shading. Fur, flesh, metal, maybe two shades of fabric and you’re set for about a hundred on them.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Btw, is this a new Skaven icon?

image.png.75275da504f033dc7b7c1fd860d3c817.png

Yep, Ratnos, a giant beast that definitively does not look like a rat but a hyppo, but who is somehow tied to skaven lorewise, and who has been awakened on Aqshy but will do nothing.

• Haha 1

Just now, Still-young said:

Almost certainly 20. 

Especially since we've seen 13 minis already and I can't notice a common bit between them. Unless they now come in units of 13?!!?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

Think these come in units of 20 or 10 ? I hope 20 just like the zombies/skeletons/hobgrots...

Are Clanrats the worst infantry unit in Skaven? If so, 20s, considering the changed reinforcement system. Since double unit size is the max now, I think any faction that can be characterized as a horde (Zombies, Skaven, Gitz) needs a 20 base size unit to make that workable.

• Like 1

Praise the rats!!! These are really gorgeous. I like the old kit so I wasn't sure what to expect, but these are perfect. They are a clear improvement but I feel like they don't make the old ones look completely out of place.