The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, Chikout said:

You are way too pessimistic. We know there's something coming for mainline AoS. The worst case scenario is that there's one more Dawnbringers 4 hero and that's all we see. 

Personally I think we've seen all there is for book 4 and we'll see book 5 which is a minimum of the Darkoath cavalry and a chaos hero. 

My guess is that we'll see that plus Darkoath on foot, Callis and Toll and a DoK hero too. 

Then we'll see Nighthaunt Vs Lumineth for warcry, Soulblight for Underworlds, solar Auxilithingy for 30k, ork box, custodes box and Kroot box for 40k and the mandrakes for Kill team. 

That would be a massive show though. 

They could keep some of the book 5 stuff and one of the 40k boxes back to show later. I do think we'll see everything that was in the new year videos. 

This is what they previewed last year Las Vegas Open 2023 – Tune In to the Warhammer Preview Online Here - Warhammer Community (warhammer-community.com)

I think We have done with Dawbringers 4 models too

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cyrus said:

This is what they previewed last year Las Vegas Open 2023 – Tune In to the Warhammer Preview Online Here - Warhammer Community (warhammer-community.com)

I think We have done with Dawbringers 4 models too

it wasn't a lot tbh, but I think it's fair to asume that, if GW repeats the cycle, then we'll have just one new rerange reveal, which in this case seems very likely to be solar auxilia

My little amount of copium is still set on new kroots, but the lack of teasers makes me grab less and less every time I think about it

Edited by Garrac

42 minutes ago, Garrac said:

Cool, thanks!

For anyone else wondering about 40k for winter-spring, if we follow Valrak rumours and the roadmap, we're having:

-Dark angels (already shown)

-Orks (just a new mechboi)

-Custodes, I think Valrak said coming with just an HWW character?

-Tau, with a new big rerange for kroots

-CSM with new Chaos Lord in termie and retro options

For Kill Team he has said a lot of things (swooping hawks, GSC, kroot?...) but not in what order

Will see his new video and filter it here

I believe there's rumoured new Vespids for for the Tau via Kill Team.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EntMan said:

I believe there's rumoured new Vespids for for the Tau via Kill Team.

I think he talked about vespids last year, can't find the video tho. But on his latest video states that after NL vs mandrakes will come Votann vs genestealers

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Garrac said:

Because as I told Ejecutor earlier I dont want named plague monks, gutter runner or clanrat spetial character warbands, I want new plague monks, new gutter runners or new clanrats that could have been made instead of units that work like a specific knive and are harder to get on non AoS/UW games because of the diferent base sizes.

Also, cool that Warcry has taken notes then. I think it's the best for both games.

I get your negativity towards Underworlds for these stated reasons, I really do. However, I think you should see the skaven underworlds releases just like the developers do apparently: these are prototypes for the main release, the effort was always going to be spent creating them anyway, but by releasing them before the main release, it allows you to get a cool  couple of models to tide you over and practice your new painting recipes on, and for them to test out the design and molding process for different details, and potentially to get feedback on what works or doesn't.

For instance, Slaanesh daemonettes never really grabbed my fancy, but as soon as I saw the first slaanesh underworlds warband I was hooked. You can see they were still experimenting with those models, and you can see how the full release is better for it.

1 hour ago, Ejecutor said:

Yeah, after seeing all the guesses that everyone made and the lack of countdown images seems it is going to be a quick and quiet preview.

The only notable addition to me is that it seems we would get roadmaps, which is fuel for the Rumour Thread.

I think it'll be a quiet preview for the mainline games, it'll be the Skirmish and HH games that get the big stuff imo

1 hour ago, Garrac said:

Really Im not that familiarised with AoS setting and all, but one thing I find weird is, if the AoS 4th is coming in summer, GW will just do 2 dawnbringer books for 5-6 months? Is there anything else rumoured for AoS during that time?

I'd rather they don't release any big armybook updates in that timeslot, a lot of Astra Militarum and World Eater players felt really burnt by having to buy a new expensive codex which was then invalidated barely 4 months later

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

I now want an AoS dating sim. If there is a dating sim for KFC, birds and weapons, why not explore the forbidden lore between a kroxigor and a dryad? Fyreslayers, Darkoath, Bonesplotters and Daughters of Khaine are already dressed for the coverart.

All my Slaanesh boys and girls (and everyone in between...or neither...) would be all over like this like a nasty purple rash. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

In general I think it is fair to say that recent Warcry warbands have also been proper AoS units, while Underworlds warbands have not. That seems to be how GW views it.

In the new FEC BT, the grymwatch is no longer in warscrolls... Which seems to be the first time ever that an Underworld warband has disappeared from its AoS army.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Garrac said:

Really Im not that familiarised with AoS setting and all, but one thing I find weird is, if the AoS 4th is coming in summer, GW will just do 2 dawnbringer books for 5-6 months? Is there anything else rumoured for AoS during that time?

It is weird. In the  5 months before second edition we got 25 AoS kits and 5 books. Before 3rd edition we got 7 books and 35 kits. We also got Warhammer quest that year. 

If we got Dawnbringers 5 with 5 kits, that will take us up to 3 books and 15  kits including the FeC from last year's box. Even if we add in 4 warcry kits we're still well short of the last two new edition years. It really does feel like there should be one more thing to fill the gap. 

• Like 4

I don't really see the issue with underworlds tbh, the pestilens warband for example, you don't have to use it as that unit. If I was a skaven player I'd just take the plague priest and use it as a generic character since the sculpt is nicer than the current one imo.

• Like 8

40 minutes ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

All my Slaanesh boys and girls (and everyone in between...or neither...) would be all over like this like a nasty purple rash. 

And that is precisely why you guys never get invited to our Chaos parties! 

I do believe to have read that GW designers have a certain freedom when it comes to pitching/creating things, so many releases aren‘t what‘s needed but what they want to work on, which explains some of the less „tactical“ releases. I mean, they are very likely aware what‘s lacking and what an optimal release schedule would look like but I figure around 30% of releases are basically whatever they want them to be….

And regarding the plastic Daemonettes: While they aren‘t terrible at all, they are still unfortunate children of their time, much like Pink Horrors or Bloodletters. I think Plaguebearers aged the best out of those (and looked like an actual upgrade to the ones before them, something that can‘t be claimed for the pink horrors and daemonettes). The Bloodletters‘ new/old design was an upgrade as well but the way they‘ve handled the head was unfortunate. It‘s nice to see better versions via Underworlds but new kits would be even better still. So yeah, WarCry and WH:U present us with a window to cool upgrades but the window isn‘t big enough to act as a doorway which makes it frustrating. The figures are rarely special enough to be great stand-ins for heroes and just alternative, cool alternative unit champions which is a bit of a shame. There are thankfully notable exceptions like the Wurmspat of that one Slaaneshi champion but it‘s safe to say that many warbands should‘ve just been turned into proper AoS kits and be usable in both instead of being „teases“. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

I feel like Underworlds is a way for GW to test out the waters. Like Rippas and later Snarlfang Riders. Some dont make it (yet) like the Bonesplitterz.

GW has said as much themselves. From the beginning Underworlds was conceived as a way to monetize the test sculpts that the design team is constantly making anyways.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DoctorPerils said:

I'd rather they don't release any big armybook updates in that timeslot, a lot of Astra Militarum and World Eater players felt really burnt by having to buy a new expensive codex which was then invalidated barely 4 months later

But that was because 40k got indexhammered.

Is aos going to get an index aswell like 10th? Or 4th is going to be a revised and polished version of the 3rd edition game?

I'm not sure about that and I can’t decide if i prefer indexes (the game got a massive powercreep in the form of 2023 books) or I prefer a continuation of 3rd (base core is pretty good in almost everything but scenery rules and ghbs helped to cover the flaws)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chikout said:

You are way too pessimistic. We know there's something coming for mainline AoS. The worst case scenario is that there's one more Dawnbringers 4 hero and that's all we see. 

Personally I think we've seen all there is for book 4 and we'll see book 5 which is a minimum of the Darkoath cavalry and a chaos hero. 

My guess is that we'll see that plus Darkoath on foot, Callis and Toll and a DoK hero too. 

Then we'll see Nighthaunt Vs Lumineth for warcry, Soulblight for Underworlds, solar Auxilithingy for 30k, ork box, custodes box and Kroot box for 40k and the mandrakes for Kill team. 

That would be a massive show though. 

They could keep some of the book 5 stuff and one of the 40k boxes back to show later. I do think we'll see everything that was in the new year videos. 

I dont think its pessimistic per se Im just keeping my expectations low. I would love love love more!!

41 minutes ago, Ragest said:

But that was because 40k got indexhammered.

Is aos going to get an index aswell like 10th? Or 4th is going to be a revised and polished version of the 3rd edition game?

I'm not sure about that and I can’t decide if i prefer indexes (the game got a massive powercreep in the form of 2023 books) or I prefer a continuation of 3rd (base core is pretty good in almost everything but scenery rules and ghbs helped to cover the flaws)

Hero phase needs a revamp. The magic in a unique phase after three editions is showing that it is restrective.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nezzhil said:

Hero phase needs a revamp. The magic in a unique phase after three editions is showing that it is restrective.

And the tactics/Strategies system too, I think.

But 3rd edition core rules are thaaaaaat good, that I feel fear about big changes

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

I dont think its pessimistic per se Im just keeping my expectations low. I would love love love more!!

Not expecting anything for AoS, when gw themselves have said there's something for AoS, would get your picture next to the dictionary definition of pessimism. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

I hope they will keep magic in only one phase, imo it will be way more difficult to remember when and what spell can be casted and how long does it last if we have magic in every phase. 

Lots of complications for not a lot of added value to me 

1 hour ago, MitGas said:

I do believe to have read that GW designers have a certain freedom when it comes to pitching/creating things, so many releases aren‘t what‘s needed but what they want to work on, which explains some of the less „tactical“ releases. I mean, they are very likely aware what‘s lacking and what an optimal release schedule would look like but I figure around 30% of releases are basically whatever they want them to be….

Whilst this can be a bit frustrating as a customer, when there are things that clearly need TLC and are left to wither on the vine. As an individual who works in a creative industry, I do think it is pretty admirable that GW has a pretty clear line between it's designers/creatives and the bean counters.

Of course there will be projects that "need" to be done, but the best work from creatives always comes from allowing them freedom to explore and work on stuff that grabs their attention and gets their creative juices flowing.

It's a delicate balancing act, which is very difficult to get right, I actually think that GW doesn't get enough credit for this, as many people (understandably) just want what they want and don't see why GW just doesn't make it, now! 

Edited by Hollow
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Chikout said:

Ok. Here's a question for you all. What to you makes for a meaningful update? Assuming we see a Nighthaunt warband tomorrow, that would make for 5 kits this edition. A special character, a regular character, two units and an Underworlds warband. If you got that for your faction of choice next edition, would you be satisfied? 

A lot of people were happy with the Dok update in first edition but it was only actually three kits. Personally, I think dual kits go a long way. The Ironjawz also got five kits this edition but with the dual build kit and the triple build big pig, it feels a like  lot more. I would have loved to see a spear option for the steelhelms and a lance option for the cavaliers. I think it would have made the cities release feel more like an army. 

The HH article just reminded me of this:

image.png.ce4ff909b29a1786049661ad44afe30b.png

Those spears could easily fit the CoS range. I like their aesthetic.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, DoctorPerils said:

I get your negativity towards Underworlds for these stated reasons, I really do. However, I think you should see the skaven underworlds releases just like the developers do apparently: these are prototypes for the main release, the effort was always going to be spent creating them anyway, but by releasing them before the main release, it allows you to get a cool  couple of models to tide you over and practice your new painting recipes on, and for them to test out the design and molding process for different details, and potentially to get feedback on what works or doesn't.

For instance, Slaanesh daemonettes never really grabbed my fancy, but as soon as I saw the first slaanesh underworlds warband I was hooked. You can see they were still experimenting with those models, and you can see how the full release is better for it.

I think it'll be a quiet preview for the mainline games, it'll be the Skirmish and HH games that get the big stuff imo

Tbf that's only because 10th was a hard restart.  Normally your codex follows into the next edition until that editions codex drops.  Sometimes this hurts.  Like the bonei boys in the begining of 3rd on a 2e battletome.  Although I feel for we players because they need 2 codexs to play one army