The Rumour Thread

Yeah after a few years of teaching people to paint their first model, big flat areas are a lot easier for them, we arent talking at aiming for great results here, or using the whole range, just getting a solid result the absolute beginner is happy with and at the time, the Space marines got much better results than the Empire spearmen. 

Though id agree as a fairly experienced painter id pick the Empire soldier every time :D

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

If the starter includes SCE, I would be nice that they redo the liberators and such with thunderstrike armour. So replacing the AoS 1 and 2nd edition SCE. A redoing of the older SCE combined with a couple of new units and characters would be the best way to avoide a to bloathed battletome.

I am hoping for that, too. I think it's kind of likely, as well. It's kind of weird: Most of the WHFb 8th edition stuff still looks really good, but some of the early AoS models are weirdly kind of weak. Thinking of first wave Fatcast and Fyreslayers here, for example. The Celestant Prime definitely deserves a new model (and a name), for example.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

If the starter includes SCE, It would be nice that they redo the liberators and such with thunderstrike armour. So replacing the AoS 1 and 2nd edition SCE. A redoing of the older SCE combined with a couple of new units and characters would be the best way to avoide a to bloathed battletome.

Since the AoS's start, all edition launch boxes have offered new units/entries for SE.

I doubt it will be any different for 4th (GW don't care about having a bloated BT, they're minis sellers before anything else).. I imagine that for GW, if someone has bought a starter box from previous editions, it would be a hindrance to offer the same unit redone rather than a new one. There's also the "woah" effect with pure novelty. 

For Skavens, it will be a bit different I think, as their range is in such need of a refresh. Probably a mix of updates and new concepts.

1 minute ago, Draznak said:

Since the AoS's start, all edition launch boxes have offered new units/entries for SE.

I doubt it will be any different for 4th (GW don't care about having a bloated BT, they're minis sellers before anything else).. I imagine that for GW, if someone has bought a starter box from previous editions, it would be a hindrance to offer the same unit redone rather than a new one. There's also the "woah" effect with pure novelty. 

For Skavens, it will be a bit different I think, as their range is in such need of a refresh. Probably a mix of updates and new concepts.

Does anyone know how GW handles unit updates in 40k? Do the 40k launch boxes always contain new Space Marine kits or are they sometimes new versions of old models?

This is really off topic, and everyone here has probably read it, but just wanted to shout out how bloody amazing Godeater's Son has been. I saw a Reddit post stating Noah Van Nguyen is Age of Sigmar's Dan Abnett, and I couldn't agree more.

I'm a few hours in through the audiobook, who Timothy Watson also makes for beautiful listening, and the world building is just phenomenal in my opinion. The history and cultures Aqshy has been given, I am absolutely loving this book. You really get a sense of how this portion of Aqshy has changed its inhabitants over the course of history, and how it's inhabitants have changed Aqshy. 

And there's little mentions of Kurnothi, Hashut and even Djinns so far and even more mysterious sounding things.

Definitely recommend this book if people haven't read it yet. Timothy Watson is a spectacular narrator for this one. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

12 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Does anyone know how GW handles unit updates in 40k? Do the 40k launch boxes always contain new Space Marine kits or are they sometimes new versions of old models?

Post-8th (Primaris) they've mostly been new, with a couple of exceptions.

Dark Imperium was all new.

Indomitus was all new, except the Ancient.

Leviathan it depends on if you view the Terminators, Sternguard and HQs as 'new versions' because with 10th they've largely stopped the Primaris distinction, but they're very obviously meant to be the new Primaris versions (if that makes sense). I think most people still view them as new units, since previously they had Firstborn statlines.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Post-8th (Primaris) they've mostly been new, with a couple of exceptions.

Dark Imperium was all new.

Indomitus was all new, except the Ancient.

Leviathan it depends on if you view the Terminators, Sternguard and HQs as 'new versions' because they cut the Primaris distinction, but they're very obviously meant to be Primaris versions (if that makes sense). 

If it's like that, then I would say something like "Liberators in Thunderstrike Armour" is not off the table for AoS, even if it means bloating the warscroll count of Stormcast even more.

16 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

40k is a little different because Space Marines are literally GW's gold mine. So they have absolutely every right to any army in any GW universe.

Up until 6th edition, from memory, each new edition could offer units that already existed in the boxes.
Since the launch of primaris, there has been a reset of the SM range and each new box brings a new part of primaris set:
7th (Dark Imperium): the basic section: generic intercessors (and inceptors)
8th (Indomitus): the gothic section: veteran vanguards and characters loaded with skulls, trinkets, etc (and new outriders).
9th (Leviathan): the nostalgic section: here GW recycles a tried and tested concept: the return of glorious terminators.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Black_Templar_Lad said:

This is really off topic, and everyone here has probably read it, but just wanted to shout out how bloody amazing Godeater's Son has been. I saw a Reddit post stating Noah Van Nguyen is Age of Sigmar's Dan Abnett, and I couldn't agree more.

I'm a few hours in through the audiobook, who Timothy Watson also makes for beautiful listening, and the world building is just phenomenal in my opinion. The history and cultures Aqshy has been given, I am absolutely loving this book. You really get a sense of how this portion of Aqshy has changed its inhabitants over the course of history, and how it's inhabitants have changed Aqshy. 

And there's little mentions of Kurnothi, Hashut and even Djinns so far and even more mysterious sounding things.

Definitely recommend this book if people haven't read it yet. Timothy Watson is a spectacular narrator for this one. 

What's the kurnothi mentions in regards to? 

50 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

If the starter includes SCE, It would be nice that they redo the liberators and such with thunderstrike armour. So replacing the AoS 1 and 2nd edition SCE. A redoing of the older SCE combined with a couple of new units and characters would be the best way to avoide a to bloathed battletome.

Would be interesting, specially for the Castigators. As far as I know you cannot purchase them anymore, right? Which is pretty odd.

21 minutes ago, Black_Templar_Lad said:

Noah is absolutely a must read AOS author!!

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

31 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Mixed from new and refreshes, I would say. This time for example they included the Terminators and Termagaunts refresh.

• Like 3

Is it possible FEC aren’t the next battletome, and it’s a new new army instead? Maybe FEC are in the starter set for 4th

im just thinking GW love patterns and just before 9th they dropped both Votann and World eaters (which were both delayed) so could amount to a new army? 

The hefty stormcast tome already feels like various units are at risk of stepping on one another's toes, further adding yet another new battleline choice and potential additional mini range for them would really be difficult to not just do the same as another unit already does. I would love to see a refresh of some of the units from the original stormcast wave / starter set. It could be a great chance to redo liberators et al to look a bit more dynamic and have some female sculpts in there too. Whilst I know big new units for a popular faction will help sell boxes a big drive for starter sets is for new players rather than people who already have large stormcast collections, so I definitely feel like going back and redoing older models or having a mix of different stormcast in push fit design would work well (previously 40k used to release standard space marine tac squads in push fit with each starter set rather than having to make an entire new line of marines but with Prada armour instead of Gucci)

3 minutes ago, Deakz28 said:

Is it possible FEC aren’t the next battletome, and it’s a new new army instead? Maybe FEC are in the starter set for 4th

im just thinking GW love patterns and just before 9th they dropped both Votann and World eaters (which were both delayed) so could amount to a new army? 

Time to reset the Silent People/Vampirates clocks ;)

Edited by Lightbox
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, TreelordRecent said:

As someone who follows 40K as well, Valrak’s rumours tend to be very accurate. I can’t remember the last thing he predicted that has not come to pass. The odd thing changes over time but that may also be GW changing their schedule, which is a known fact by now.

Exodites haven’t come out yet

that and anytime he uses a Faeit212 rumor which are just clickbait rumors and often not true to begin with

3 hours ago, Halandaar said:

They're the most popular pretty much by default though, it didn't happen organically. They're the most popular because GW has made them available in introductory products in every edition of the game, which is something that other factions only get for a single edition, if at all.

3 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I'll echo those who still reckon it'll be Stormcast vs X in the starter. It's been said before, but Stormcast - even post-Thunderstrike - are still designed to be pretty simple for Lil Timmy to learn to build and paint and put a good looking army on the table relatively quickly.

We need to remember that "poster faction" is generally a term for a faction that is not only marketed more than others, but is explicitly designed as an entry for new players. you need this part too.

Even if Stormcast are not in launch boxes or starter sets, they would still nominally be the Poster Faction of AOS because no one else in Order is as easy to build or paint. Hell, the fact that default Stormcast are on 40mm bases by default means they're easier to paint details on.

I'm fine with Stormcast not being in the 4.0 boxes but it wouldn't stop them from being a poster faction. Whoever else is in the box needs to have smooth building and painting phases.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Baz said:

What's the kurnothi mentions in regards to? 

I don't want to spoil anything, it's not important to the story of course and is just a passing observation by the main character.

Sorry I don't know how to hide spoilers, so I'll keep the context vague:

The MC is making an observation of the people around him, and he sees some Aelves who have some notable features that I interpreted as being Kurnothi, unless they were something else entirely, it definitely seemed that way to me.

Loads of little nods to different cultures and races throughout the book though. It's nice to see them solidified in the context of the world.

• Thanks 1

Skaven could work in a starter box as the antagonists because just like Tyranids now, they can be made super easy to paint. You only need 3 colours : brown for fur/wood, grey metal (so leadbelcher) and a colour for the clothes (red/blue/green/white whatever). Bonus for red or white because you can re-use those for the teeth/eyes. Throw a bunch of Agrax Earthshade at all of that (maybe a quick drybrush or layer if you're feeling fancy) and boom you have a battle ready clanrat.

And a sloppy beginner colour scheme is actually benefitial to Skavens, because they're meant to be dirty and ramshackle looking.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Draznak said:

Yeah, indeed since AoS this is the case. But for the game it seems better to redo some of the older sculpts. Instead of adding another battleline unit, another character class and etc. How will they make them different compared with the other SCE units? Adding again different special rules. 

Those liberators were designed somewhere early-mid Warhammer 8th edition. These can be done much better now. The newest SCE miniatures will be the Blacktalons. Those are incredible. Give me liberators, vanguards, evocaters in that style and I will be blown away. 😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

Skaven could work in a starter box as the antagonists because just like Tyranids now, they can be made super easy to paint. You only need 3 colours : brown for fur/wood, grey metal (so leadbelcher) and a colour for the clothes (red/blue/green/white whatever). Bonus for red or white because you can re-use those for the teeth/eyes. Throw a bunch of Agrax Earthshade at all of that (maybe a quick drybrush or layer if you're feeling fancy) and boom you have a battle ready clanrat.

And a sloppy beginner colour scheme is actually benefitial to Skavens, because they're meant to be dirty and ramshackle looking.

Lots of AoS units can be painted easly. It all depends what you want to achieve. It's nonsense that SCE are easier to paint than Seraphon, Soulblight, OBR or any other AoS army. Building wise I agree that the basic stormcast are easier than i.e the CoS Cavaliers, but that has nothing to do with painting. I am starting to doubt that people who are claiming that SCE and SM are easier to paint, have ever painted one.

The skaven example is bizar, as there is no difference in difficulty in painting a clanrat or a saurus warrior. As the technique you describe would work for both the same. The only difference is that you need more clanrats than saurus warriors to make an army. A lot more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Souleater said:

My main army is Stormcast. The design and sculpting of them has come on leaps and bounds since my OG Liberators, etc.

I would gladly replace those models with new, shiny versions.

Maybe not gladly :D but as another Stormcast main, I'd rather have updated units where I have the option of buying them or keep using my old ones, than new units which I will need to buy for competitive play / access to cool new rules

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Marcvs said:

Maybe not gladly :D but as another Stormcast main, I'd rather have updated units where I have the option of buying them or keep using my old ones, than new units which I will need to buy for competitive play / access to cool new rules

I wouldn't be amazed that GW wants a battleline SCE unit with halberds. As SCE has no battleline unit with a 4+/3+. All the other variants they already have. 🤣

7 hours ago, Beliman said:

Elves vs Elves will not "blow people out of the water". I mean, Order has 50% of Aelven armies and even two of them already had a second wave (Lumineth and Sylvaneth).

If you want to blow peoples mind, just use Duardins vs anything that needs new models: Skavens, Ogors, Grottbag Skuttlers, etc...).

Basically anything that is outdated (ogors, Skaven, chaos demons) or something still missing (dark Aelves, Tyrion) or brand new (silent people, kurnothi, chaos dwarfs) is a great choice. Another dozen of Stormcasts is not, no matter how good the models are.

And yes I am aware of this "Stormcasts are newbie friendly" argument. It's just this solution is standard, expected, simple and far, far away from blowing minds. Unless they put Sigmar model himself in the box...

Edit: If starter boxes are about being noob painting friendly why only 1/2 of the box are Stormcasts? Neither Khorne nor Orkz are easy to paint and Nighthaunt are easy only if you have an airbrush.

Edited by Aeryenn
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1