The Rumour Thread

2 hours ago, Lich King said:

image.jpeg.ebe81479e41051691e2b427f17b949c3.jpeg

anyone notice the different skin tones on this piece and the social implications of it?

Well, to be honest, not until you pointed it out. But now I think about it, this is a rather unfortunate, though surely unintended, representation of the old 1899 racist trope of "The White Man's Burden". All the more unfortunate that the theme for this faction is to march out into the rude lands beyond the walls with the intention of civilizing the savages beyond. I am sure Richard Kipling himself would heartily approve of the message conveyed by this miniature.

The funnest thing about it is those posters here who have called out your post but clearly have no knowledge of history. To these simple souls, the model is just a representation of a non European in a position of power.

Anyway, let us not bring too much real world politics into AoS. Our community is for everyone and everyone who is in it should be represented in the modelling and artwork. I thin we can agree that GW is put some effort into doing this. I propose that we give the GW design team the most charitable interpretation of this model and we assume it is merely that they were trying to show an inclusive model.

Therefore, the important thing for us to find out is whether or not it has 9 wounds or 10. If the latter, I shall enjoy blowing it of the table with the Khorne Skull Cannon I am currently working on.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

So, a few things after reading the warscrolls:

Devoted to Sigmar, Ironweld, Collegiate Arcana, Darkling Covens and Dispossessed are still in. A new Castelite Keyword on the canon.

Pointifex has 9 wounds and Ward 4+, perfect for Look Out Sir.

Battlemages can take spells from the Collegiate Arcana, but Battlemage on foot lost the option to come from another Realm (warscroll spells), btw, this one can be equiped with a pseudo-artifact for each bit in his box (grimoire, hourglass, blade, etc...). Nice touch!

Longbears are really good. 2 attack at 3+/3+ with -2 rend with their two handed weapons or 3+save with shields and 2 attacks each! They lost their Old Grumblers for a battleshock buff but IMO, they have strong profiles.

Edite: A lot of new Heroes. I wonder if 4.0 will let us attach Heroes to units to give them another role. 

3 hours ago, Mutton said:

I saw some of the leaked warscrolls, and WHY are they once again writing these racist abilities that only affect specific KEYWORDED species? Why can't everyone just work together?

Cities of Sigmar is the melting pot of AoS, and they continue to segregate the army into racial subsections.

Completely agree.

I want to add that nobody likes to removes models without any interaction. For whatever reason, Pontifex has 3+ Prayer that if you roll a dice for each Priest/Wizard on the battlefield, on a 2+, they take 1D3mw. It's not about how strong it is, is about the interaction between players. You can't dispell it, you can't make a save roll, you can't hide your models, you can outrange it. Navigator has similar ability and it's not fun at all.

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Beliman said:

Longbears are really good. 2 attack at 3+/3+ (that can be buffed with -2 rend with their two handed weapons or 3+save with shields and 2 attacks each! They lost their Old Grumblers for a battleshock buff but IMO, they have strong profiles.

The duardin stats are like: why did they need to forge the Stormcast at all 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Just seems like a repeat of the Kruleboyz; an overwhelming amount of characters and/or monsters but the actual core of the faction is looking very barebones.

Not that I'm too bothered by it; definitely not a fan of the new CoS stuff although I find it hard to pinpoint exactly what it is that makes them look so off to me.

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

Well, to be honest, not until you pointed it out. But now I think about it, this is a rather unfortunate, though surely unintended, representation of the old 1899 racist trope of "The White Man's Burden". All the more unfortunate that the theme for this faction is to march out into the rude lands beyond the walls with the intention of civilizing the savages beyond. I am sure Richard Kipling himself would heartily approve of the message conveyed by this miniature.

Never heard of it so I had to google it. Yet it's still rather far fetched. All visual representations I could find were about carrying people in a barrel (it's also about the Philippines, not about the African Continent). So no red flags seen on my part.

Especially since this is a religious piece on a palanquin.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grungnisson said:

Having had a look at hose scrolls now, at the moment I'm thinking some stuff better be real cheap here. Both Luminark and Hurricanum have become less versatile and man, this Cannon better be at least 20% cheaper than taking an allied Gunhauler.

do you have a link (pm) to the warscrolls?) :)

1 minute ago, Grungnisson said:

Having had a look at hose scrolls now, at the moment I'm thinking some stuff better be real cheap here. Both Luminark and Hurricanum have become less versatile and man, this Cannon better be at least 20% cheaper than taking an allied Gunhauler.

Synergy within the army will probably uplift them qutie a bit. I'm almost certain that I already saw an order on that one preview image that lets castellite units like the cannon shoot twice.

Here's a potentially interesting observation: The Hurricanum is no longer a "Celestial Hurricanum with Battlemage", but rather a "Battlemage on Celestial Hurricanum". Could this mean that we are treating them and the Luminark only as mounts now and losing the Mage-less versions?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Synergy within the army will probably uplift them qutie a bit. I'm almost certain that I already saw an order on that one preview image that lets castellite units like the cannon shoot twice.

Here's a potentially interesting observation: The Hurricanum is no longer a "Celestial Hurricanum with Battlemage", but rather a "Battlemage on Celestial Hurricanum". Could this mean that we are treating them and the Luminark only as mounts now and losing the Mage-less versions?

That was my conclusion as well. That's why we have room for more reveals as Whitefang confirmed!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

They definitely lost the bracketing on stats, so I'm wondering whether they'll lose the Behemoth role as well.

2 minutes ago, Grungnisson said:

They definitely lost the bracketing on stats, so I'm wondering whether they'll lose the Behemoth role as well.

I know this is barely related to what you said, but I am SO INCREDIBLY CURIOUS about the new Steam Tank warscroll.

Will it finally be good? Will it have d3+3 damage? Will it have a 2+ save? Will it have non-random movement? Or at least not bracket as hard? Will it have, like, two weapon profiles instead of 6 like right now?

So many other cannon weapons have become good this edition. I just want the meme tank to finally become a real unit.

• Like 1

Just now, Grungnisson said:

To be honest, just take the brackets off and give it 10" Move and we're cookin'.

Giving it just one of good offense, good defense or good movement would honestly be enough.

I am hoping for good movement and simplified weapon profiles. Also remove all the minor abilities. Steam Tank commander just gives +1 to hit for nearby steam tanks and that's it.

Ok, why did this have to be the one leak I sleep through?

Everything looks so good!!! I just hope that the Pontifex has a generic build option, and that we get a elite infantry unit either now or a later wave.

Also, I'm thinking those minis on top of the image (Arch-Knight, Surgeon, etc.) could be one kit like 40k Command Squads. Would be an insta-buy for me.

• Like 1