The Rumour Thread

2 minutes ago, Aussiemandias said:

I just woke up and checked the reveals. MANTICORE. Big Scorpion KITTY! If I hadn't committed to Sons of Behemat, I'd be a Cities of Sigmar convert. So excited for them to have such a cool centerpiece model and more than just drip-fed reveals at long last!

The underworlds pack doesn't interest me, but hoo boy, Skaven pestilens fans are going to have fun- new censer bearers? \o/

And the Kruleboyz warband has me interested in getting into the game, whole-heartedly. I just love me some Monster Hunter and monster hunters. Drum Orruk feels very 2am drunk karaoke, like he's belting out some Whitney Houston and I am here for it.

image.png.04c61d8789dee31640bd218fc6d06050.pngAND IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII WILL ALWAYS

Best model in the band.

• Like 1

Cities having 54 warscrolls is a bit of a shock to me and makes me think way more is saying than we’d thought.

1. New lady on manticore
2. Generic lord in manticore
3. Freeguild Marshall
4. Steelhelms
5. Alchemite warforger
6. Freeguild cavaliers
7. Fusil major on Ogor war hulk 
47 others units….

there are 62 units in the current cities range. If we assume that the cities range is say 17 new warscrolls (equal to Idoneth in scale) then we are keeping 37 of the existing warscrolls to get to the right number and therefore losing only 25.

if you lose every model that was part of the Empire army book in 8th then you lose 18 warscrolls.

so what are the other 7? Wanderers I think only have 6 warscrolls. So maybe we’re only getting 16 new kits.

so my assumption is all 8th ed wood elves and Empire models go 

all 8th ed Dwarf and Dark Elf and High Elf kits stay 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

I know GW is GW and has kept selling those WHFB minis for Cities because older players who have invested so much money and time into their minis would be dissapointed in not being able to use them and GW loves making money from new players and there wasnt a replacement Faction for those minis but I think they shouldve gradually been phased out long ago to avoid such a stark cutting.

Its on GW really for not releasing a Faction like Cities sooner.*

I dont want any WHFB minis in AOS at some point.

Out with the Old, in with the New.

*I know of production timelines and such but come on we've waited 8 years for Mortals!!

not-kidding.gif

They shouldn't be phased out until there is a proper alternative for that player base to play at a supported level. AoS was fundamentally built by WHFB factions, like demons are a fantasy faction should all those be gone, should nagash, teclis, slaves to darkness etc? probably not. 

Once, ToW is released and properly supported, then sure but up until that point, I would hard disagree. 

Anyways....the manticore and clan pestilence are absolutely fantastic and the Bretonnia mounted paladin is just chef's kiss. It's too bad that epic, out of nowhere, took up so much of the show. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tervindar said:

They shouldn't be phased out until there is a proper alternative for that player base to play at a supported level. AoS was fundamentally built by WHFB factions, like demons are a fantasy faction should all those be gone, should nagash, teclis, slaves to darkness etc? probably not. 

Once, ToW is released and properly supported, then sure but up until that point, I would hard disagree. 

Anyways....the manticore and clan pestilence are absolutely fantastic and the Bretonnia mounted paladin is just chef's kiss. It's too bad that epic, out of nowhere, took up so much of the show. 

I sympathise with @KingBrodd as it would nice to have all legacy minis updated or removed from AoS. But the logistics make it clear why GW has not done this. Their fantasy range is just too big.

Regarding epic taking up so much air time, it looks to be the next big launch, maybe for the Xmas period? So where does this leave the Old World launch? Must be 2025, since next year is AoS 4.0. 

• Thanks 1

I'm a bit drunk... anyways, ******, looks like I can finally own a truly cool manticore for my sorcerer lord. Damn, what am I gonna do with the old crappy model now? 

I love that the army box of the Cities looks so "normal". the models are full of lovely details but seeing that small force, they still just manage to look like regular Joes. They've really managed to pull that off. Loving it!

• Like 2

Ok, hear me out. Miniature Design I hear begins 4-5 years before the actual release. In 2019 Genndy Tartakovsky’s Primal Season 1 aired. I don’t believe for a second that the Warcry Design team has not been influenced by that Show after seeing the Offal Hounds and these new Orruk Baboons. Can’t blame them, the Ape Man concept is one longer overdue in Warhammer. 

2B979715-AA6C-4534-8B4E-6549E908145D.jpeg

FE9AE216-011E-48D4-A177-CDFD0954492D.png

Edited by Kronos
  • Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 2

10 minutes ago, Kronos said:

Ok, hear me out. Miniature Design I hear begins 4-5 years before the actual release. In 2019 Genndy Tartakovsky’s Primal Season 1 aired. I don’t believe for a second that the Warcry Design team has not been influenced by that Show after seeing the Offal Hounds and these new Orruk Baboons. Can’t blame them, the Ape Man concept is one longer overdue in Warhammer. 

I need some of these apes for my Lustria gaming board, but I was also thinking how cool an ape/Lustrian-themed Beastmen army would be. Planet of the Apes meets The Descent kind of vibe. But then I find apes absolutely terrifying so maybe that’s just me. 🙉 

• LOVE IT! 2

3 minutes ago, The Brotherhood of Necros said:

I need some of these apes for my Lustria gaming board, but I was also thinking how cool an ape/Lustrian-themed Beastmen army would be. Planet of the Apes meets The Descent kind of vibe. But then I find apes absolutely terrifying so maybe that’s just me. 🙉 

I’m currently doing a little Fan Lore rewrite for My Slann army (before these apemen came along) here the Slann (in those early years of arrival and conquest on the Warhammer World, used Apemen stock to create the Elves, Dwarfs and subsequently Humans, Halflings and Ogres (all from various breeds of Apemen). When the  Remaining and Stronger Apemen Rebelled in an uprising, The Slann tried to wipe them out with a Virus inadvertently creating the Greenskins Race. 

I got a lil spooked today when I saw the Babboons with the Orruks 😂

• LOVE IT! 1

23 minutes ago, Kronos said:

So what you're saying is that when we finally get to a Japanese style army in AOS/TOW it will be filled with FOOLISH SAMURAI WARRIORS! that can jump good? I am here for that

.Unknown.jpeg.4a457313b5b73cb9b0fc64ea745c029f.jpeg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Grungnisson said:

Just a quiet reminder that with the Cities of Sigmar book 35 warscrolls went away for good. There's a whole generation of players at this point, who'd never seen an Grand Alliance Order soup army on the table. The game moved on, we have moved on, it's fine.

If there's a non unique manticore marshall possible, I'll plonk my general on gryphon on a bigger base. That's also fine. Without change the game will stagnate and die.

And we'd have nothing to get excited about. 

This is why I feel it is the right time to rip the band off when it comes to Cities. Although I think 4th edition could be the edition of the "final transition" so to speak. I think Games Workshop should generally be far more cut-throat when it comes to maintaining ranges. Having "legends" and retiring/replacing/renewing units should be apart of most updates IMO. 

• Like 4

I have a feeling they just going to take the Firstborn Marine to Primaris marine approach where the old fantasy stuff in cities are bare minimum playable but not competitive or compelling choices compare to the new stuff (I only say this since an AoS playtester leaks that the free guild stuff are more cohesive and stronger competitively then any old stuff which I can see happening because GW has done this before )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tervindar said:

I understand where youre coming from and sympathise with those players. I just think GW needs to do better at updating old miniatures, Seraphon is a perfect update and BOC, Mawtribes and Skaven deserve the same.

Cities, too me at least, so far has been a Faction where GW threw all 'Good' WHFB armies that didnt fit into the Mortal Realms. Lorewise its excellent and I love it but visually on the tabletop, again to me, its a mess.

1 hour ago, MitGas said:

I'm a bit drunk... anyways, ******, looks like I can finally own a truly cool manticore for my sorcerer lord. Damn, what am I gonna do with the old crappy model now? 

I love that the army box of the Cities looks so "normal". the models are full of lovely details but seeing that small force, they still just manage to look like regular Joes. They've really managed to pull that off. Loving it!

Epic fans have been waiting 26 years for a new version of that game. I don't begrudge them their time in the sun. 

Rumours are saying that the new game is coming out at the end of summer. This was THE preview for that game. If the next preview is Nova at the end of August, the game will already be out. 

Obviously I'm disappointed about the lack of news about Dawnbringers 2 but it does kind of make sense. The roadmap suggests it isn't coming out until after Cities so it's probably more than 3 months away. 

My guess is that we will see three or four more units on Mondays and the full reveal at Nova with the army box on pre-order that weekend. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tervindar said:

Do we think that is it for the CoS reveals? I would have hoped that there would be more to make it feel like a full cohesive force. 

They said there will be more mini left to reveal, I assume they will finish everything before the battle box release since the early release new battletome is in it.

I am guessing the last miniature will be reveal at nova at the lastest.

Edited by novakai
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Tervindar said:

Do we think that is it for the CoS reveals? I would have hoped that there would be more to make it feel like a full cohesive force. 

We definitely aren't done. 

We haven't seen any of the bits in this picture yet. Screenshot_20230702-113652.png.152b7448e7471ae5a70284ee7f04ef6e.png

We haven't seen this big axe5MFKs7jyvlWKfMZi.jpg.ade07cbb0067306780e4d041196c8d31.jpg

Or this long gunvREsTMMo6dG4hTKI.jpg.32bad560179a4d2fa506449dc7b7c5a1.jpg

I'm expecting at least 7 more kits. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

I know GW is GW and has kept selling those WHFB minis for Cities because older players who have invested so much money and time into their minis would be dissapointed in not being able to use them and GW loves making money from new players and there wasnt a replacement Faction for those minis but I think they shouldve gradually been phased out long ago to avoid such a stark cutting.

Its on GW really for not releasing a Faction like Cities sooner.*

I dont want any WHFB minis in AOS at some point.

Out with the Old, in with the New.

*I know of production timelines and such but come on we've waited 8 years for Mortals!!

not-kidding.gif

Exactly.

It's already a shame that several factions still mostly consist of old fantasy models that don't quite well meet today's AoS standards. We all know which factions, no need to point them out, maybe except for one - Skaven. I really don't understand why did GW neglect so much one of their most iconic factions, which is like a Warhammer trademark. They need Seraphon and CoS treatment ASAP.

As for the show.

Last time when GW introduced Harbringers they mentioned more than once that some factions are getting updates and so did the rumors here on tga. None of that really happened at least during yesterday's show.

CoS look better than I expected. They are the underdogs of AoS, yet don't seem boring or too plain. AoSification done well. The manticore is ok. Just ok. I'm not all that crazy as most people seem to be about her. Good centerpiece though.

Clan Pestilence is ok as a warband but I wouldn't really purse this subject any more. Maggotkin of Nurgle cover the same theme and do it better in my opinion. Skaven should develop around Skryre being the only high tech faction apart from Kharadron Overlords. Or Moulder as this seem something interesting enough. I wouldn't go into horde direction though, even if it IS a Skaven thing. There are more than enough horde factions in the game right now.

Kruleboyz warband is cool, don't like the apes though and I don't understand why GW pushes them again.

The Old World once again is a joke. A single mini. Resin in fact. I don't get why would anyone in 2023 choose TOW over AoS. I'm talking new wargaming players. How are they going to advertise it? "Come buy our 20y old sculpts which sales were discontinued for more than a decade! We have ONE new mini for you!". Everything TOW does, CoS seem to do better.

Don't care about 30k stuff. This new scale game is aimed for a different audience in my opinion. More board game players rather than wargaming. The latter expect higher quality of the minis.

Edited by Aeryenn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Aeryenn said:

Snippy snip

Yep, and we've also been waiting for Malekith/Malerion's elves for a similar amount of time. Some factions might never see the light of day until even more years down the track. It's been what, since 2017-18 that we had mention of Grotbag Scuttlers? I'm indifferent on the rider for the manticore, I'm just keen for the manticore and that someone other than Chaos gets some dangerous and cool beasties.

I've tuned out of The Old World, especially after the upbasing article- I'm not, repeat, not rebasing all those orcs and goblins I have from whfb. I might get a few orc boy boxes if they're at least 20 to a box but as it stands, TOW is a no from me- I have the 6th ed whfb book so I'm good. At least the new Bret bannerman replaces the old, godawfully unbalanced SLAB of metal/resin they had. It feels too little, too late and all that. I used to be bitter about the end times, but grew to love AoS- the old world doesn't feel as 'genuine' as WHFB pre 8th did.

As for epic....While cool, the epic stuff really put a dampner on things for me. It might not be warhammer 40k in a literal sense, but it's still SPEHSS MEHRENS IN SPEHSS. Given how much attention 40k has gotten between 9th and 10th editions, it's just...I'm tired of 40k. AoS can put out a few minis here and there and still feel fresh. I get space marines sell, but it gets exhausting seeing new marine stuff almost every week.

At least Skaven are slated for 4th edition. Hopefully it's a full revamp and not just one specific clan getting the limelight.

• Like 2

We have 8 weekends left of summer releases, assuming everything shown yesterday (wihh the exception of the TOW) will be released in that timeframe along side the 40k box sets the summer schedule seems full

Next weekend Harbingers and GHB

Skaven Underworlds 

Kruleboyz Warcry

HH plastic knights

Epic

Cities launch box

A couple of weeks of 40k stuff like starter box sets, the Lion on his own etc. 

Guessing tonights announcement ill be 40k related as we had AoS last week. 

• Like 2