The Rumour Thread

2 hours ago, Snarff said:

If there's a BL model it'll probably be Grombrindal or something though, which I don't really have strong feelings about.

Why do I share the same opinion ? I saw "Grombrindal : Chronicles of the Wanderer" on a meme, made me think a proper Grombrindal mini would be a great idea. And it could have really big implications for the development of the lore.

15 hours ago, Noserenda said:

I dont think you really need too much work to fix the FS, just ditch the helmets and bring back characterful faces with mohawks and you are halfway there, the runes are cool even the weird weapons arent totally awful, (though id love a good dwarven axe option) make em use the same neck join or something and you can reverse engineer the heads even.

Wouldnt say no to more drakes, golems or artillery if they looked good though. 

I just think they took one of the most distinctive units, armies even, from Warhammer and completely failed to grasp why they were popular.

They hated Noserenda because he told them the truth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

I’m so sold on Raptadons, love me some lovable murder chickens with tech-lizard riders.

Really nice bit of lore too they’re as smart as the riders, can really make for some fun dynamics down the road especially for Soulbound if you can send a Raptadon out as a scout with just enough speech comprehension to report to his seperated rider/partner.

”The Age of Sigmar is a vast setting full of incredible sights, unbelievable fauna, and most importantly, lizards riding even bigger lizards. In their infinite wisdom, the Old Ones planned for the renewed brutality of the Era of the Beast by preparing powerful spawnings aeons in advance.

When Ghur’s bellow of rage echoed across the Mortal Realms, clutches of inert eggs suddenly began to respond to sacred revivification technology, hatching plumed Raptadons. These curious creatures are associated with the great Tepok, one of the wisest of the Old Ones, and display a keen intellect roughly on par with the cunning Skinks who ride them into battle.

Both parties see this as a boon, though you have to wonder if the Raptadons ever wonder why they’re the ones being ridden.”

(also nice nod with the Aeons part when Kroak noted in Broken Realms that the destruction of the world-that-was had been seen & predicted long ago and so they could make plans around it)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

Really nice bit of lore too they’re as smart as the riders,

Read this and immediately started thinking of a way to just remove the rider and convert the raptadons with the weapons. 

Edited by Vasshpit

8 minutes ago, Copywolf said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but couldn't the javelin raptadons shoot twice with that new rule? Once normally and then a second at the end of the charge phase?

You are technically correct, the best kind of correct. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Copywolf said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but couldn't the javelin raptadons shoot twice with that new rule? Once normally and then a second at the end of the charge phase?

Correct and the - 2 rend will be nice as the enemy cannot all out defence as the attack comes in the charge phase. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

Read this and immediately started thinking of a way to just remove the rider any convert the raptodons with the weapons. 

Haha, just like people that remove the riders from Draconith and just put extra armor there since they’re fully sentient beings on their own capable of talking and taking orders. 😄

Time to kitbash some magi-tech robo backpacks for your battle ostriches.

ostrichbackpack1.gif?ssl=1

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

16 hours ago, Noserenda said:

I dont think you really need too much work to fix the FS, just ditch the helmets and bring back characterful faces with mohawks and you are halfway there, the runes are cool even the weird weapons arent totally awful, (though id love a good dwarven axe option) make em use the same neck join or something and you can reverse engineer the heads even.

Wouldnt say no to more drakes, golems or artillery if they looked good though. 

I just think they took one of the most distinctive units, armies even, from Warhammer and completely failed to grasp why they were popular.

Even if GW opened a warp portal, pulled every Fyreslayer model into it and they returned as revamped WHFB Slayer models, the issue would remain - everything looks the same, except some of the Heroes have staffs and some have axes. With the exception of their one centrepiece (the Magmadroth).

It's why the reaction to the Flamekeeper was so negative. As a model by itself? Great stuff. But none had a problem with the quality of the sculpt, it's that it was yet another nigh-identical foot Hero. 

GW could produce a new box of Fyreslayers which are universally agreed upon to be the best sculpts they've ever made, but if they're yet more naked infantry they'll still be at the bottom of the faction popularity polls. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

Haha, just like people that remove the riders from Draconith and just put extra armor there since they’re fully sentient beings on their own capable of talking and taking orders. 😄

Time to kitbash some magi-tech robo backpacks for your battle ostriches.

ostrichbackpack1.gif?ssl=1

Exactly!

Screenshot_20230418-130043_Sketchbook.jpg.18041dfa29db535fa7def16b393d1f87.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

9 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Even if GW opened a warp portal, pulled every Fyreslayer model into it and they returned as revamped WHFB Slayer models, the issue would remain - everything looks the same, except some of the Heroes have staffs and some have axes. With the exception of their one centrepiece (the Magmadroth).

It's why the reaction to the Flamekeeper was so negative. As a model by itself? Great stuff. But none had a problem with the quality of the sculpt, it's that it was yet another nigh-identical foot Hero. 

GW could produce a new box of Fyreslayers which are universally agreed upon to be the best sculpts they've ever made, but if they're yet more naked infantry they'll still be at the bottom of the faction popularity polls. 

I think a big part of the clone army is the heads though (Ad also argue the weapons dont help but arent a problem by themselves) as its such an enormous part of identifying a model and its the one part thats essentially identical on every FS. I mean look at the classic slayer range, they are all much more naked, but you can tell the various types apart and they are all armed with similar melee weapons (Though growing in fanciness on the heroes) with things like ornamentation and even scale. Identifying units by their level of beard (and rune) bling would be the most Dwarven thing possible :D

But you arent wrong, id always like to include so reverse compatibility for existing players but its the least popular army for a reason, a revamp is probably the best thing for them and the game.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

Now I've got kroot on the brain and starting thinking that we see similar markings like the spears -

Screenshot_20230418-094922_FreeAdblockerBrowser.jpg.f9892126647b8f6184aa34217e1747ce.jpg

- on some of their other gear. 

Screenshot_20230418-094857_FreeAdblockerBrowser.jpg.4236711e4ad2a3574ca8134ffbab462a.jpg

Screenshot_20230418-094313_FreeAdblockerBrowser.jpg.34363c3a7ff0e2c6a50fc44425b80a93.jpg

One can hope. 

With the new rules and new kroot I'd definitely try out 40k. 

Holy Sigmar you may have nailed that there mate!!

3 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

That art is epic.

• Like 2

On Fyreslayers I think their solution will just be use Grungni to cause a split in their societies like we already see with their sub-factions(some so anti-Grungni they won’t even recieve his messengers) so they can start diversifying models.

Pro-Grungni Fyreslayers get better armor with more ancestor-face masks, stomach armor(like the Flamekeeper has), pauldrons and razor-shields similar to how Grungni is putting faces all over the new Stormcast Eternals.

Pro-Vulcatrix Fyreslayers instead of armor pack on the drake-scale capes, kilts and even more vicious looking dragon-helms to empower their fire abilities.

very similar split between techy & clean Starborne Seraphon and scaled up and monstrous Coalesced.

Then they can add on more stuff like flame-spewing face chariots, fire elementals bound by Grungni to help give them solid form and demidroth cavalry of Vulcatrix’s summoned children for stuff that can add to a force as a whole or lean in on the faction feuds.

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 3

2 hours ago, Kitsumy said:

and how can u think those chikens are the best sculps??? they are the worst unit by far to me. could have been dilophosaurus or any other dino, those chickens arent really like any dinosaur, in contrast those new raptors/deynonichus? im in love with them

These look like dromeasaurs (eg, velociraptor, deinonychus, utahraptor). All feathered dinosaurs. They have the right pronation, and are magnificent. About the size of Achillobator.

The other ones look like their arms were broken, but they look a little like allosaurs or other small carnosauria, though with raptor claws added. They are too small not to be feathered though.

No sane scientist would depict any raptor (meaning the family of deinochus/velociraptor) without feathers. Even dilophosaurus likely had feathers (because both saurischian and ornithischian dinosaurs had feathers).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

I think a big part of the clone army is the heads though (Ad also argue the weapons dont help but arent a problem by themselves) as its such an enormous part of identifying a model and its the one part thats essentially identical on every FS. I mean look at the classic slayer range, they are all much more naked, but you can tell the various types apart and they are all armed with similar melee weapons (Though growing in fanciness on the heroes) with things like ornamentation and even scale. Identifying units by their level of beard (and rune) bling would be the most Dwarven thing possible :D

But you arent wrong, id always like to include so reverse compatibility for existing players but its the least popular army for a reason, a revamp is probably the best thing for them and the game.

One of the biggest issue is their faces. They have only one expression. And it's a rather neutral face.

Look at just the face, and tell me the difference.

99120205015_FyreslayersVulkiteBerzerkers01.jpg

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

These look like dromeasaurs (eg, velociraptor, deinonychus, utahraptor). All feathered dinosaurs. They have the right pronation, and are magnificent. About the size of Achillobator.

The other ones look like their arms were broken, but they look a little like allosaurs or other small carnosauria, though with raptor claws added. They are too small not to be feathered though.

No sane scientist would depict any raptor (meaning the family of deinochus/velociraptor) without feathers. Even dilophosaurus likely had feathers (because both saurischian and ornithischian dinosaurs had feathers).

my dino-person. I could not have said it better myself. While I think Aggradons look cool, they are most certainly no closer to actual dinosaurs than the rest of the Seraphon line. The raptadons are a breath of fresh air in a world where Jurrasic Park "dinosaurs" have severely impacted the public knowledge. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Baron Klatz said:

On Fyreslayers I think their solution will just be use Grungni to cause a split in their societies like we already see with their sub-factions(some so anti-Grungni they won’t even recieve his messengers) so they can start diversifying models.

Pro-Grungni Fyreslayers get better armor with more ancestor-face masks, stomach armor(like the Flamekeeper has), pauldrons and razor-shields similar to how Grungni is putting faces all over the new Stormcast Eternals.

Pro-Vulcatrix Fyreslayers instead of armor pack on the drake-scale capes, kilts and even more vicious looking dragon-helms to empower their fire abilities.

very similar split between techy & clean Starborne Seraphon and scaled up and monstrous Coalesced.

Then they can add on more stuff like flame-spewing face chariots, fire elementals bound by Grungni to help give them solid form and demidroth cavalry of Vulcatrix’s summoned children for stuff that can add to a force as a whole or lean in on the faction feuds.

Kilts! You've cracked it. Trousers on Slayers don't work (sorry Gotrek) but kilts would absolutely rock.

• Like 5

Love the lore! Not a huge fan strategically of the synergy, since it encourages doubling up on a unit that you might want an odd number of, but we'll see how it pans out. It's not like you're missing out on huge amounts of damage if you don't, and there might be other synergies you can take advantage of instead to make up for it, but at least the launch box has 2 sets of 5. 

Getting more and more excited! I can't wait to see the focus on the Saurus Warriors when I hope we finally see them with spears!

49 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

One of the biggest issue is their faces. They have only one expression. And it's a rather neutral face.

Look at just the face, and tell me the difference.

99120205015_FyreslayersVulkiteBerzerkers01.jpg

Not to be "woke" or "inclusive" for inclusive sake but I find that the faction could really use some ladies. 

I really think being one of the first armies from a brand new setting they could realllly use the stormcast overhaul. 

I may even collect them if it came to that. 

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

Not to be "woke" or "inclusive" for inclusive sake but I find that the faction could really use some ladies. 

I really think being one of the first armies from a brand new setting they could realllly use the stormcast overhaul. 

Their recent lore mentions how some of the more progressive among them have started to allow for fire fyre queens. It seems like a no brainer to add some female ones in. GW could even have thrown us a bone and given us a unit of them when this recent lore shift happened.

Theory: I suspect GW originally intended the patriarchal Fyreslayers to be the counterpart to the matriarchal DoK back at a time when AoS armies were very much based on broad concepts rather than having a lot of depth to them. (Slayers and Witch Elves had a lot of counterpart-like properties back in WHFB too: both were semi-barbaric, close combat oriented warrior cults who liked showing off skin for some reason.) But as AoS has developed, you would want to see more depth in both of these early armies, so both would expand from their early rather monolithic shapes.

Though of course showing that the Dawi are bright enough to open up for equality deep down while the Elgi would insist on keeping one gender oppressed does sound very appealing... ;)

Edited by Dawi not Duardin
  • Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

Amoung many other desires for Fyreslayers, I would also want some warriors that can fuse with the soul of Grimnir and become empowered by the flame and become Avatar's of fire. As Grimnir's soul is split into many shards this could be an elite unit type.

Would it look like a Duardin Flame Super Sayian? Absolutely!

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

1 hour ago, Vasshpit said:

i think most of us have been asking for female dwarves since we were old enough to understand it was weird we never saw any ;) LOTR and Warhammer have always had a very weird absence of lady dwarves.

I've seen some comparisons of the new Cities models to Pratchett's city guard. Hopefully GW also read his bits about lady dwarves too!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DinoJon said:

my dino-person. I could not have said it better myself. While I think Aggradons look cool, they are most certainly no closer to actual dinosaurs than the rest of the Seraphon line. The raptadons are a breath of fresh air in a world where Jurrasic Park "dinosaurs" have severely impacted the public knowledge. 

I do think there's something interesting about their faces, something not quite naturalistic. Still a living creature but the shape of the head is like a stylised Mesoamerican sculpture in flesh. Same with the head-crest and there's a glimmer of it in the carnosaur mini.

In-universe it's a cool subtle way to emphasise that these aren't entirely 'natural' evolved creatures but permeated with heavenly star-magic and the influence of the Slann. Out of universe, it's just cool design and makes them more than just a dinosaur stand-in, even with the nods towards accuracy and modern depictions of theropods.

• Like 6