The Rumour Thread

As a person who thinks that those duel releases one of the factions always get screwed I am a bit scared for my LRL now lol. Know the picture is blurry as hell, but the swordsmen look the same. And a lot of people thought they were the weakest LRL and I thought they would at least get Sunmetal Weapons?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RyantheFett said:

As a person who thinks that those duel releases one of the factions always get screwed I am a bit scared for my LRL now lol. Know the picture is blurry as hell, but the swordsmen look the same. And a lot of people thought they were the weakest LRL and I thought they would at least get Sunmetal Weapons?

Never look too much on the warscrolls that come with those boxes, most end having a couple of changes from the ones you see at the battletome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, Loyal Son of Khemri said:

I love this new sculpt! While I’m struggling to find a hint of Egypt/middle eastern designs typically tied with Tzeentch, that sword and staff combo is amazing. The best part is the armor, it’s clear that it is slowly merging with the champion, but is still a separate piece.

The Egyptian look used to be something entirely Thousand Sons-specific, it never really was Tzeentch-specific as the older Tzeentch sculpts had none of it before Jes Goodwin's first Rubric Marine. Tzeentch usually had huge horns (often irregular, like much of the armor albeit the first Tzeentch marines were truly weird anyways, looked a lot more random than what came later) and bunny ears like Khorne (more curved and slender though and mostly in the artwork). I was surprised that the adept from the Silver Tower Kairic Acolytes or the Cypher Lords went a bit into the 1k Sons territory/design language to be honest. Not even the curved details were there from the start on Tzeentch armor (e.g. Egrimm Van Horstmann). I think it very slowly grew in that direction when they repurposed the dark elf champion to become Aekold Helbrass, who I think was the first "Tzeentch" sculpt with very curved trim.

The Tzeentch designs mostly lost the fish details, scales/scale-mail were a big part, although there are still remnants (e.g. the loincloth). 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Enoby said:

Regardless of what people think of a new Lumineth tome, I think the worst thing about it is that the tome itself won't bring a lot of new stuff for Lumineth players because the designers won't have had the time for any proper re-thinks of the faction. Warscrolls and allegiance abilities are likely to be very similar to before and just neatened up. 

I think one of the worst omen for a new book is that it had a previous book come out only a year before - it means the writer of the new book wouldn't have known the likes and dislikes of the players when writing the book, and some 'obvious' changes won't have been made. 

While waiting longer is a pain, I'd rather have a Sylvaneth 2 to Sylvaneth 3 glow up, than a Slaanesh 1 to Slaanesh 2 mish-mash book. I'm hoping this Lumineth book isn't just a plain copy and paste deal.

Yep imagine the salt if sentinels, total eclipse, and foxes all stay relatively the same in the next book. Lol

kind of like how Morathi kept her CA to attack/shoot in the hero phase 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Arzalyn said:

Never look too much on the warscrolls that come with those boxes, most end having a couple of changes from the ones you see at the battletome.

I can't actually remember a single time that's happened in the last few years, to be honest with you. Everyone says this everytime and then the book comes out and the warscrolls are exactly the same. And why wouldn't they be? We're talking about a months gap in release time between the boxset and the books most of the time, if not simultaneous release.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, novakai said:

Yep imagine the salt if sentinels, total eclipse, and foxes all stay relatively the same in the next book. Lol

I imagine a world where no one wants to play against them and they can only get matches with Seraphon and other Lumineth.

Edited by Mutton
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, madmac said:

I can't actually remember a single time that's happened in the last few years, to be honest with you. Everyone says this everytime and then the book comes out and the warscrolls are exactly the same. And why wouldn't they be? We're talking about a months gap in release time between the boxset and the books most of the time, if not simultaneous release.

Just to give a recent example, the Kurnoth Hunters warscroll changed between the Echoes of Doom box and the Sylvaneth book - the Envoys of the Everqueen ability changed to something completely different along with I think a couple other changes to their special rules.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, madmac said:

The Idoneth rules for Sharks were changed from box to book. I’m pretty sure the reavers were too. 

Boring box to be honest. They could have chosen other Lumineth units, that weren't already in the starter box and battleforce. Was hoping for Alarith but even if not them, they could have put some Windcharges in the box instead of horses again. Tzeentch didn't have a second wave so that's a different story. As for the heroes, well the Lumineth one is boring. It's just a small hero on foot that doesn't stand out in any way from other Lumineth heroes. So far Lady of Vines is the star of this year dual boxes.

Edited by Aeryenn
  • Like 1

I was told the duel boxes were supposed to release way ahead of these Battletomes. Previous intention was to drop these boxes after 3.0 initial release then the corresponding books after few months. Then the vanguard boxes a while after the books. However, global situation has messed it all up. So now they trying to get back on track by pushing everything together. 

Gitz and ogors are next up. However, I couldn’t get confirmation that this one was going to be a duel box. Butcher is definitely coming and I just got the word spider….. so I don’t know if that mean one hero or hopefully few kits to replace old spider kits. Only problem is they are already plastic, so we’ll see. 

In another conversation though on gloomspite now that the army has a heavy dose of squigg riders, would they want to stick with the spider theme as well? I’m sure they would be interested in maybe allowing some other army the ability to ride some spiders…….

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Aeryenn said:

Boring box to be honest. They could have chosen other Lumineth units, that weren't already in the starter box and battleforce. Was hoping for Alarith but even if not them, they could have put some Windcharges in the box instead of horses again. Tzeentch didn't have a second wave so that's a different story. As for the heroes, well the Lumineth one is boring. It's just a small hero on foot that doesn't stand out in any way from other Lumineth heroes. So far Lady of Vines is the star of this year dual boxes.

I like the Lumineth hero, sure it's not some shocking design or anything but it's a really nice, comfy looking model I look forward to painting. Probably just gonna ebay her though because for sure the rest of the box doesn't seem interesting for either army. I guess if you missed the first Lumineth box and the battleforce and have now decided it's time to start an LRL army it's fine....

Also worth pointing out that LRL should be getting a Vanguard box and that's a little more exciting since they've never even had a SC.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MitGas said:

The Egyptian look used to be something entirely Thousand Sons-specific, it never really was Tzeentch-specific as the older Tzeentch sculpts had none of it before Jes Goodwin's first Rubric Marine. Tzeentch usually had huge horns (often irregular, like much of the armor albeit the first Tzeentch marines were truly weird anyways, looked a lot more random than what came later) and bunny ears like Khorne (more curved and slender though and mostly in the artwork). I was surprised that the adept from the Silver Tower Kairic Acolytes or the Cypher Lords went a bit into the 1k Sons territory/design language to be honest. Not even the curved details were there from the start on Tzeentch armor (e.g. Egrimm Van Horstmann). I think it very slowly grew in that direction when they repurposed the dark elf champion to become Aekold Helbrass, who I think was the first "Tzeentch" sculpt with very curved trim.

The Tzeentch designs mostly lost the fish details, scales/scale-mail were a big part, although there are still remnants (e.g. the loincloth). 

While it’s a shame that Tzeentch lost the heavy scale mail theme, I think it’ll make a comeback thanks to the Old World and the fact that Tzeentch is big in Cathay (dragon scales, fish scales, what’s the difference?). While I love the Egyptian feel for reasons I’ve stated before, I understand that it’s not for everyone. Personally I don’t like the cypher lords that much, but I do love how Warcry is mixing aesthetics throughout the range.

The new Lumineth model is a bit meh, it seems like they have quite a lot of these small heroes, which apart from the Cathallar, dont really seem to see the table at all. There's also something throwing me off about the model, I don't know why, something about it looks odd. Maybe its the head on perspective making her look like she is leaning backwards a bit? Can't exactly put my finger on what it is.

The Cureseling on the other hand is a lovely model and a great resculpt of the existing model. The rest of the box is a strong meh.

I'm actually quite excited to see what they come up with for a new Lumineth tome. I actually think its one of the books most in need of a rethink. If it was me I'd start by binning off like 1/2 their allegiance abilities.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Loyal Son of Khemri said:

While it’s a shame that Tzeentch lost the heavy scale mail theme, I think it’ll make a comeback thanks to the Old World and the fact that Tzeentch is big in Cathay (dragon scales, fish scales, what’s the difference?). While I love the Egyptian feel for reasons I’ve stated before, I understand that it’s not for everyone. Personally I don’t like the cypher lords that much, but I do love how Warcry is mixing aesthetics throughout the range.

Well, the Egyptian look is definitely cool, don't get me wrong, I got an army of Thousand Sons after all and the first rubric Marine made me fall for Tzeentch - I'm just saying that it was never really a part of Fantasy's Tzeentch look (or Tzeentch in general, the only Tzeentch worshippers in 40k to be Egyptian-influenced were 1k Sons). I do like how they keep mixing all these various influences over the years together though, although I guess the overtly Persian/ME design cues got snatched up by Slaanesh now.

I really hope we'll get a mortal elite unit in the style of the Curseling. i know that cool Chosen are coming for STD but seeing how all other Gods got their own variant of Mortal elites, I hope we'll follow as that is frankly the only thing that's really missing from our army. The Old World will definitely bring forth some cool stuff, I hope some new Tomb Kings for you as well.

1 hour ago, Enoby said:

Regardless of what people think of a new Lumineth tome, I think the worst thing about it is that the tome itself won't bring a lot of new stuff for Lumineth players because the designers won't have had the time for any proper re-thinks of the faction. Warscrolls and allegiance abilities are likely to be very similar to before and just neatened up. 

I think one of the worst omen for a new book is that it had a previous book come out only a year before - it means the writer of the new book wouldn't have known the likes and dislikes of the players when writing the book, and some 'obvious' changes won't have been made. 

While waiting longer is a pain, I'd rather have a Sylvaneth 2 to Sylvaneth 3 glow up, than a Slaanesh 1 to Slaanesh 2 mish-mash book. I'm hoping this Lumineth book isn't just a plain copy and paste deal.

This is 100% not true haha, id expect like all 3.0 tomes there will be a complete overhaul of the subfactions, which is a very big deal for LRL.  Because it is a big range with very specific units (Alarith, Hurakan) the 3.0 will have a lot of consequences for LRL.  That’s why right not you basically only see Teclis/Sentinels or Fox lists.  

This box set will be good for Tzeentch. The Curseling should help unlock more playable versions of Tzeentch mortals. I know pepole have been waiting years for the Acolytes to be playable. I’ll assume the Battletome will have ways to buff all that stuff to offer a change to the hordes of daemons and spell meta. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rhetoric said:

This is 100% not true haha, id expect like all 3.0 tomes there will be a complete overhaul of the subfactions, which is a very big deal for LRL.  Because it is a big range with very specific units (Alarith, Hurakan) the 3.0 will have a lot of consequences for LRL.  That’s why right not you basically only see Teclis/Sentinels or Fox lists.  

Unfortunately, I think overhauling the subfactions will likely only hurt the less used units, just as removing battalions did, because it was the fluffy stuff like the Temple Units that was leaning more on those bonus rules, the Vanari side of the range doesn't need anything but the core allegiance rules to shine.

That said, I'm not expecting a big shakeup in general, I'm expecting a DoK level revision, but we'll see.

• Like 2

swordmasters are really cool sculps but were totally useless ruleswise like 80% of the book. and they didnt got any change.....

so new book will keep same bad units and nerf the playable units( not good, only okish) for haters. not a good omen for lumis, i hoped a total rework of book getting ride of mortals but like doubling the damage in some units etc.

btw new hero is really nice. would have love to see a female with fringe instead a big forefront but at least finally a female with nice long hair!!

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Jetlife said:

I was told the duel boxes were supposed to release way ahead of these Battletomes. Previous intention was to drop these boxes after 3.0 initial release then the corresponding books after few months. Then the vanguard boxes a while after the books. However, global situation has messed it all up. So now they trying to get back on track by pushing everything together. 

Gitz and ogors are next up. However, I couldn’t get confirmation that this one was going to be a duel box. Butcher is definitely coming and I just got the word spider….. so I don’t know if that mean one hero or hopefully few kits to replace old spider kits. Only problem is they are already plastic, so we’ll see. 

In another conversation though on gloomspite now that the army has a heavy dose of squigg riders, would they want to stick with the spider theme as well? I’m sure they would be interested in maybe allowing some other army the ability to ride some spiders…….

I am still of the mind that one of the destruction tome is Sons (given some of the rumors, the rumor engine curfuffle a few month back with the existing bits, and they and Ogors got no changes in the Battlescroll) 

I assume that they only release one battleboxes of per quarter and the next two are just singular like Nurgle.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, madmac said:

Unfortunately, I think overhauling the subfactions will likely only hurt the less used units, just as removing battalions did, because it was the fluffy stuff like the Temple Units that was leaning more on those bonus rules, the Vanari side of the range doesn't need anything but the core allegiance rules to shine.

That said, I'm not expecting a big shakeup in general, I'm expecting a DoK level revision, but we'll see.

Exactly, ever since the battalions were removed from matched play Alarith/Hurakan in general suffered.  But if the temple subfactions become playable again there will be a lot of new lists.  

7 minutes ago, Kitsumy said:

swordmasters are really cool sculps but were totally useless ruleswise like 80% of the book. and they didnt got any change.....

As soon as GW hinted that Swordmasters were going to have bodyguard I expected them to be useless, and the full rules did not disappoint.

Making elite infantry bodyguards is just bad design, from a fluff level sure it's fine, but in game it's a huge point-tax that makes sure your cool elite unit will never really earn it's points back as a fighter. Plus the last thing you want soaking wounds for your cheap foot heroes is your most expensive guys!

It works somewhat for Fyreslayers, but mostly only because of ward save recycling to make those lost wounds not so expensive, and the Hearthguards mutual desperate need to keep a hero alive so they don't crumble to dust.

In any case yes, I do worry that LRL being seemingly a copy paste job is not going to help their many many weak options see play.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, novakai said:

I am still of the mind that one of the destruction tome is Sons (given some of the rumors, the rumor engine curfuffle a few month back with the existing bits, and they and Ogors got no changes in the Battlescroll) 

I assume that they only release one battleboxes of per quarter and the next two are just singular like Nurgle.

We will see. Gits getting a notable rules update in the GHB certainly doesn't make them seem like they're next up to bat, but OTOH we have what looks like a RE for Gits and nothing for Ogors, and while SoB are definitely getting at least one model they also are in the TC club unlike Ogors and Gits and how would that work for a battlebox anyway? One Giant vs a small army of Ogors?

For me this one is too close to call unless firmer evidence reveals itself.