The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, Chikout said:

We've got the two remaining Underworlds warbands of this season which are probably witch Hunters and Khorne. If gw holds to their schedule we should see another starter set before the end of the year. I seem to remember Lumineth being rumoured. 

Damn I just want the new Warcry Warbands at this point.

Oh, that’s a fun rule to balance out all the resilient self-healing and extra saves effects with a big offense bonus. So now both a 40 unit blob “spear” or 20 unit blob “shield” if you want a focus on range swarm or regenerative little tarpits.

image.jpeg.028b653a84bb547ce3f3460cc3280296.jpeg

4 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

Of course, thanks mate I was exhausted yesterday when I made that post.

Haha, no problem! Been there countless times myself. Hope this week sees you better rested. :) (certainly deserve it for being such a great and energetic mod)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Baron Klatz said:

Oh, that’s a fun rule to balance out all the resilient self-healing and extra saves effects with a big offense bonus. So now both a 40 unit blob “spear” or 20 unit blob “shield” if you want a focus on range swarm or regenerative little tarpits.

image.jpeg.028b653a84bb547ce3f3460cc3280296.jpeg

Haha, no problem! Been there countless times myself. Hope this week sees you better rested. :) (certainly deserve it for being such a great and energetic mod)

Cheers mate!! Youre always such an enthusiastic person it helps!!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Before painting plastic models it's best to prime them using special paint that has a corrosive agent added, which causes the paint to adhere to the plastic better by making it more grippy. Regular paint in turn sticks better to this grippy primer. If you paint a plastic model with regular acrylic paint and no primer, the paint will rub off or peel over time.

People often refer to the layer of primer as the base coat, so if you use the term "base coat" this way, then it makes sense that GW could be working on special paint for it (coloured brush-on primer, essentially). But painting terminology is not unified, and some people call the first layer of primer the undercoat instead, and the first layer of paint on top of that the base coat.

Yeah I know what primer is, haha. I didn't know that's what some people considered a "base coat". I kind of always assumed people just meant it was the base layer you put down over primer. I guess it's a malleable term. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Mutton said:

Yeah I know what primer is, haha. I didn't know that's what some people considered a "base coat". I kind of always assumed people just meant it was the base layer you put down over primer. I guess it's a malleable term. 

Don't think it will be anything that would replace primer. Will either be additive to the existing painting method OR something that reduces painting process but thereby encourages more purchasing of models to add to your newly finished ones that otherwise woypd gave been languishing on the shelf or in a box etc. 

Its a bunch of new paints. Looks interesting https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/06/13/a-new-era-of-paints-new-contrast-colours-reformulated-shades-and-our-best-white-spray-ever/.

Also I love the new strength in numbers, that really feels like how Skaven warfare is described in the books Ive read. Just drown the enemy in bodies.

Edited by ÞórarinnSig
  • Like 1

At the bottom: "The four gloss shades – Nuln Oil Gloss, Agrax Earthshade Gloss, Reikland Fleshshade Gloss, and Cryptek Armourshade Gloss – are leaving the range."

So anyone who needs the gloss versions should stock up 

(Cryptek Armourshade is gone completely since it only had a gloss version)

• Sad 2

19 minutes ago, ÞórarinnSig said:

It is a bit sad that the "Briar Queen Chill" paint is released after the Briar Queen is no longer on the website.

I do like that the colours are brighter, but quite a few do not really look all that contrasty (especially the yellows).

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 3

Definitley pick some up to try. Been painting nighthaunt with a quite lot of contrast paints lately, if you have a model which dosent require fighting the contrast properties (ie can afford it to look very varied and non-uniform) it's a lot of fun.

20220608_231712.jpg

20220608_231549.jpg

• Like 15
  • LOVE IT! 8

As someone who uses a lot of contrast, there's some promising colors there that address some notable gaps. Major weaknesses of the existing contrast lineup, IMO:

Reds: You had two very good reds, and a decent orange, but that was it, just a real lack of variety in the end.

Blues: Akhelian Green and aethermatic blue are real nice paints, and Tall Blue was OK for what it was, but Ultramarine Blue was patchy and meh, Lev Blue was far too dark, there was no good solid blue-blue color, or good dark blue, or good light or icy blues. It was way too much work trying to get a blue similar to bog standard GW blues basically

Purples: Shyish Purple sucked, Volpus and Magus were ok but not having a real deep purple was a downer.

Yellows: The only good yellow was Iyandan, which is very good indeed but as mentioned quite orangey in the recesses and not a one-size fits all yellow.

Greens: There were a lot of greens, but I only ever seemed to end up using Ork Flesh, Plaguebearer Flesh and a dabbling of Militarum and Warp Lightning. The greens in general were pretty messy and had to be used carefully.

• Like 2

Nice to see them try some more varied contrasts rather than just light to dark transition of the same color. The Chill, Glacier, and Burgundy ones in particular look nice.

Also that Strength in Numbers rule is absolutely amazing. It offsets one of the main weaknesses of large hordes, while being very appropriately thematic. Skaven rework is looking pretty good so far on the rules side.

Edited by Vastus

Strength in numbers is the rule we could've used a year ago to fix the coherency problems for models on 32mm bases.

As far as the new paints go I like kroxigor scales, aeldari emerald stormfiend, leviathan purple, sigvald burgundy and briar queen chill.
Kroxigor scales, aeldari emeraly and stormfiend give us different scales of blue-green/teal which is something the line was lacking (I ended up mixing my own in the past).

The purples they had previously felt lacking as well.
Briar Queen chill is a nice alternative to Aethermatic blue. I just finished painting a sludgeraker where I felt like the aethermatic blue was too strong a colour, even after thinning it with medium. (I think it still turned out fine, but I would've liked a more muted blue)

286286123_1096023414456927_2841205389783568829_n.jpg

• Like 2

More colour choice is good but there's some weird disparities there. Did we really need three more yellows that don't look drastically different to what's there already? 

Corax White's relative chalkiness gets brought up a lot so it's nice to see they've, apparently, remedied that. 

Let the battle between Mortarion Grime and thinned Skeleton Horde begin.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Clan's Cynic said:

More colour choice is good but there's some weird disparities there. Did we really need three more yellows that don't look drastically different to what's there already?

I dunno, they look pretty different to me. I like Iyandan Yellow a lot, if only because it made painting yellow less of a nightmare, but it's a very specific shade of yellow still, at first glance these new yellows seem much better suited for painting things like bright yellow armor with subtle shading which Iyandan never really did that well.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Nos said:

Definitley pick some up to try. Been painting nighthaunt with a quite lot of contrast paints lately, if you have a model which dosent require fighting the contrast properties (ie can afford it to look very varied and non-uniform) it's a lot of fun.

20220608_231712.jpg

20220608_231549.jpg

Using contrast to supplement your traditional painting techniques like zenithals priming, drybrushing and washes also gets you very serviceable results very quickly. I painted this mortek crawler that way in a few hours and got reasonably close to the box art, I feel:

20220610_180711.jpg.9597c3b207b4650bec904e3fbbc74989.jpg

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, Plinketts Mawtribes said:

If the Ogors get something to fix their coherency, I'd be very happy. 1" reach on 40mm bases makes Gluttons all but useless when you pay for 6 of them at a time.

This is basically why I've stopped playing my Gutbusters until something big changes. That and they have no rend in a game of multitudinous save stacking.

5 minutes ago, Mnil said:

so much offtopic here, jes.

I think at this point everyone, willing or not, has to accept this is the general thread with some rumours sprinkled in. I for one like it that way, having one place to get rumours, speculation, hype, news, reactions and occasional hobby post.

Also, I like the new contrasts. I was pretty sure it would be something... else, judging by th trailer. As in, they made it seem like a new type of paint or something, but that is fine too. They do make me really consider moving into full on contrast painting now that we have more colours, but I think I'll keep using both contrasts and regular paints for now. I am also waiting for independant sources (as in regular hobbyists, youtubers, etc.) to see what these paints are really like.

• Like 8