The Rumour Thread

29 minutes ago, novakai said:

well i saw a picture of the tome with the red binding on Discord but can't post it here because of obvious reason

If it was just the front of the tome it would be a somewhat easy photoshop job to take the old front pic and put it on a 3.0 tome. Although considering all the current leaks it would not be surprising if it was leaked.

There's just no rhyme nor reason to the new battle tome covers, is there? Let's try to find a pattern:

Stomcast Eternals: big new miniature range expansion; get a new cover that shows new unit.

Orruk Warclans: big new miniature range expansion; get a new cover that shows new unit.

Maggotkin of Nurgle: one infantry hero; get a new cover that shows new hero. 

Fyreslayers: one infantry hero; old cover.

Idoneth Deepkin: one infantry hero; new cover that shows old hero.

Nighthaunt: new hero; new named character; new unit; old cover.

Daughters of Khaine: one infantry hero; new cover that shows old female gigachad deity that always gets her way; bow down to the queen b**** of the Mortal Realms.

Skaven: one infantry hero; old cover.

Sylvaneth: new named character; three new units; no new infantry hero; old cover.

Lumineth: unknown additions to the army; old cover

Slaves to Darkness: big new miniature range expansion; new cover that shows a crest or a symbol of the faction. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, novakai said:

I tempt to play Stormcast in the old world and see how many Grognard scream “But My Immerzun” lol

Pop an ogre head on the the older (chunkiest) chapters, and say these ogres expanded their gutplates a bit.

Edited by zilberfrid

42 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

If the Lumineth Tome cover is reused Ill be very annoyed. We cabt kdep having recycled covers, there is no reason other than laziness.

I agree that it sucks, but I don't think it has anything to do with laziness. I would guess it's a cost cutting measure. BTW, what is the situation in 9E 40K in terms of recycled codex covers? Not sure they have any recycled covers ... 

Edited by Vicar in a tutu
Spelling
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Vicar in a tutu said:

I agree that it sucks, but I don't think it has anything to do with laziness. I would guess it's a cost cutting measure. BTW, what is the situation in 9E 40K in terms of recycled codex covers? Not sure they have any recycled covers ... 

GW's book prices and printing amounts do not really excuse recycling art. Cost cutting isn't a better excuse.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, KingBrodd said:

If the Lumineth Tome cover is reused Ill be very annoyed. We cabt kdep having recycled covers, there is no reason other than laziness.

There's so many cool images in the current battletome, just put another of them on the cover at the very least - it's utter laziness.

• Like 4

Lmao new Lumineth book, I told you all! 

And no Tyrion in the cover artwork either, Lumineth wave 5 confirmed.

DoK leaks:

Morathi up a mere 20 lmao

Morathi keeps shoot twice CA

Both snakes up 20

Witches down 5 🤣

Subfaction:

+1 to blood rites (stacks)

Witches and slaughter sisters +1 rend on charge 

Retreat and charge 

End of movement CA teleport 

Slaughter sisters fight twice on a 4+, target gets fight last

Melusai fight on death 

Morathi lost +1 cast/unbind/dispel but is now -2 rend on heartrender. Shadow Queen degrades slower (doesnt bracket until 7) but is functionally the same. Both cost 680 together.

Bow snakes have no changes.

Damn must be nice to be a play tester army.

Edited by PrimeElectrid

4 hours ago, Maogrim said:

There's just no rhyme nor reason to the new battle tome covers, is there? Let's try to find a pattern:

Stomcast Eternals: big new miniature range expansion; get a new cover that shows new unit.

Orruk Warclans: big new miniature range expansion; get a new cover that shows new unit.

Maggotkin of Nurgle: one infantry hero; get a new cover that shows new hero. 

Fyreslayers: one infantry hero; old cover.

Idoneth Deepkin: one infantry hero; new cover that shows old hero.

Nighthaunt: new hero; new named character; new unit; old cover.

Daughters of Khaine: one infantry hero; new cover that shows old female gigachad deity that always gets her way; bow down to the queen b**** of the Mortal Realms.

Skaven: one infantry hero; old cover.

Sylvaneth: new named character; three new units; no new infantry hero; old cover.

Lumineth: unknown additions to the army; old cover

Slaves to Darkness: big new miniature range expansion; new cover that shows a crest or a symbol of the faction. 

The Slaves to Darkness one is the limited edition cover from an army set by the looks of it. 

50 minutes ago, Vicar in a tutu said:

They dont have any, exactly, why does AOS? These new tomes have new art in them why not just slap that on the cover? GW is a multi million dollar company they can afford it. 

As someone who enjoys the Lore and Hobby more than rules the fact that my 'Lore Book' keeps getting the same cover is disheartening. 

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, PrimeElectrid said:

Lmao new Lumineth book, I told you all! 

And no Tyrion in the cover artwork either, Lumineth wave 5 confirmed.

DoK leaks:

Morathi up a mere 20 lmao

Morathi keeps shoot twice CA

Both snakes up 20

Witches down 5 🤣

Subfaction:

+1 to blood rites (stacks)

Witches and slaughter sisters +1 rend on charge 

Retreat and charge 

End of movement CA teleport 

Slaughter sisters fight twice on a 4+, target gets fight last

Melusai fight on death 

Morathi lost +1 cast/unbind/dispel but is now -2 rend on heartrender. Shadow Queen degrades slower (doesnt bracket until 7) but is functionally the same. Both cost 680 together.

Bow snakes have no changes.

Damn must be nice to be a play tester army.

So she keeps the 3 wound per turn rule?

Lol and i was thinking that the new tome was releasing to fix that, one, if not, the most stupid and plain unfun rule in the whole game

Then this tome has literall no reason to exist this close to the other

Stupid me

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

40K also went through at least one phase of recycled covers. 

GW might have a lot of resources, but the division of resources within them can often seem to be slightly random and strange. There are likely logical reasons and some of it is going to come down to how the budget gets spread out. Perhaps they put less of the budget into new art because they are putting it into more moulds for models; perhaps the artists are a limited resource and they are working on other projects. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Yondaime said:

So she keeps the 3 wound per turn rule?

Lol and i was thinking that the new tome was releasing to fix that, one, if not, the most stupid and plain unfun rule in the whole game

Then this tome has literall no reason to exist this close to the other

Stupid me

Morathi has had that since she first appeared. It simply means you can't "gang up" on her and wipe her out within a single turn. Instead you have to deal with her a bit like dealing with gotrek and a good few other big nasties in the game. You either ignore them because they are out in a flank so you focus on the rest of the game; or you distract and delay them. You accept that you'll take losses, but if you can tangle them up in close combat against some chaff or beefy units that also take damage slowly then you can hold them on the board and render them less useful. 

It's all about thinking outside of the kill box. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Overread said:

Morathi has had that since she first appeared. It simply means you can't "gang up" on her and wipe her out within a single turn. Instead you have to deal with her a bit like dealing with gotrek and a good few other big nasties in the game. You either ignore them because they are out in a flank so you focus on the rest of the game; or you distract and delay them. You accept that you'll take losses, but if you can tangle them up in close combat against some chaff or beefy units that also take damage slowly then you can hold them on the board and render them less useful. 

*removed for pre morning coffeee snark 

Edited by PrimeElectrid

8 minutes ago, Overread said:

I am not saying that is broken or op, i am saying its plain boring and unfun

Dok was tier S for a period and morathi was not the reason but surelly part of it, she can block whole armyes alone and hits like a truck

Gotrek is totally a different matter, hes slow like hell and does nothing other than being a beatstick

You cant ignore a flying teleporting monster that can charge everywhere and cant be killed in 2 round at best, and makes a unit shoot 2 times (and with DT this rules is broken as hell)

Edited by Yondaime
  • Like 6

47 minutes ago, Overread said:

GW might have a lot of resources, but the division of resources within them can often seem to be slightly random and strange. There are likely logical reasons and some of it is going to come down to how the budget gets spread out. Perhaps they put less of the budget into new art because they are putting it into more moulds for models; perhaps the artists are a limited resource and they are working on other projects. 

Fair point mate.

1 hour ago, Overread said:

40k’s was consistent with every book for the edition though, which made it seem more like an actual design decision and not just a random approach.