The Rumour Thread

I kinda like how they are leaning into armies of literally one model repeated half a dozen times for FS, very on brand for them :D:P

Tried TTS a few times in lockdown but it really was a lot of work for the payoff unfortunately, still, it meant my buddy gave me a much better mic which was a great help over the rest of lockdown! 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, angrycontra said:

Well the profile is up now. 9", 2+ 3+ rend 1 dam 1. Pretty solid, generally more powerful and reliable than the awkward original rule. (especially with rend buffed to -3)

It's more straightforward than the old rule, for sure. Holding breath is going to rarely come up in practice, no reason to do it unless there's no good target that turn. Damage at the top profile is...ok, obviously falls off pretty quick as damage comes in, like most monsters. Also do Magmadroths have base more than 14 wounds now? Currently they have 14, Lofnir pushes that to 16, but the damage chart goes to 14+?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, angrycontra said:

Well the profile is up now. 9", 2+ 3+ rend 1 dam 1. Pretty solid, generally more powerful and reliable than the awkward original rule. (especially with rend buffed to -3)

With that profile, the breath attack is really only any good against hordes. Even a 5 man unit will take less than two damage on a 4+ save on average. Still, not bad by any means, but the attack is quite weak against single models and elite units, which mostly make up the meta right now.

• Like 2

Just now, Voltek said:

I'm surprised that against single target units the breath doesn't do more damage to them.

Magmadroths are a weird monster with a weird legacy warscroll even in their 2nd edition incarnation. They've always had a breath weapon that only works against hordes, and a tail attacks that...only works against hordes alongside other strange rules and an overall blah warscroll. It wasn't battleline status holding Magmadroths back until now, they've just never been very good, even for their quite low pricing for a hero monster.

2 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

With that profile, the breath attack is really only any good against hordes. Even a 5 man unit will take less than two damage on a 4+ save on average. Still, not bad by any means, but the attack is quite weak against single models and elite units, which mostly make up the meta right now.

That's always been a big problem with Droths, unfortunately. Under their old rules it was all but impossible to do any damage at all with their breath and tail attacks against single models and not much better against elites. Now the breath has a very low chance of doing...one damage, which is not really an improvement.

Again other unit nerfed in fyreslayers.

Lofnir of every magmadroth to only 3.

Roaring nerfed from 12" to 9" 

Roaring nerfed from auto hit and wound to must hit and wound

Roaring nerfed from mortals to only rend1 

Rosring damage nerfed against less than 10 models

So again as happened with every scroll at tye battlebox we have another fyreslayer unit nerfed,as also was nerfed the both slayers heros in broken realms.

At this point every hope for fyreslayers is lost because we havent more units that can save the day

14 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

9" range is a strange number to settle on. 

Sometimes the designers seem to change things simply for the sake of being different. Apparently the designer of the FS book likes the number 9 (HGB ward becoming wholly within 9" too). I am sure Tzeentch appreciates the gesture though. 🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Doko said:

Again other unit nerfed in fyreslayers.

Lofnir of every magmadroth to only 3.

Roaring nerfed from 12" to 9" 

Roaring nerfed from auto hit and wound to must hit and wound

Roaring nerfed from mortals to only rend1 

Rosring damage nerfed against less than 10 models

So again as happened with every scroll at tye battlebox we have another fyreslayer unit nerfed,as also was nerfed the both slayers heros in broken realms.

At this point every hope for fyreslayers is lost because we havent more units that can save the day

I wouldn't call the change to Roaring Fyrestream a nerf. It is now significantly better against its intended target, which is hordes. ~5 wounds or so on average against them instead of the ~3 mortals of before, and more consistent because you no longer need to hope for the d6 damage roll to work out.

Plus, I would be very surprised if Magmadroths don't get their melee profiles seriously buffed in the next book. Their current ones are not at all in line with more recent monster warscrolls.

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Since this is more of a general discussion thread most of the time:

I've been playing A LOT of TTS AoS lately. It has drained the fun out of the game for me personally. The Miniatures are mostly irrelevant, games take way longer and it has a much bigger focus on the game mechanics since all of the rest fades into the background. At this point it became painfully aware to me that the AoS game mechanics for most factions and the core rules simply aren't fun or good.

In contrast: When playing with real miniatures the game mechanics are one of many parts of the whole package, so they don't feel as dominant.

This is just my experience. How do you feel about TTS games? Did you have(ish) same experiences or adifferent one all together?

Aos is a wonderful 'beer & bretzels' game, with a range of miniatures just amazing, every army has deep leit motivs and are pretty different. On the other hand the rules are a disaster.

That's why playing TTS, or playing AoS competitively is a frustrating and boring way.

Is there a "salt rub thread" where posters can go and complain about incomplete rules shown by GW? The frequency of it in the rumor thread really is becoming exhausting at this point.

Back to the partial rules reveal .... I think this could be the change that gets me on board to start a Fyreslayers army. I have found the Lofnir magmadroth artwork to be quite evocative in the previous Battletomes. Now that they can become battle line I am certainly tempted. The little snippet for their breath weapon seems pretty cool and on point for the purpose of clearing large units. Looking forward to what the rest of their attack profiles do. As a narrative driven gamer I am enjoying a lot of these 3rd Edition changes towards more thematic army builds in each faction.

Edited by Lavieth
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Lavieth said:

Is there a "salt rub thread" where posters can go and complain about incomplete rules shown by GW? The frequency of it in the rumor thread really is becoming exhausting at this point.

Back to the partial rules reveal .... I think this could be the change that gets me on board to start a Fyrelayers army. I have found the Lofnir magmadroth artwork to be quite evocative in the previous Battletomes. Now that they can become battle line I am certainly tempted. The little snippet for their breath weapon seems pretty cool and on point for the purpose of clearing large units. Looking forward to what the rest of their attack profiles do. As a narrative driven gamer I am enjoying a lot of these 3rd Edition changes towards more thematic army builds in each faction.

As a Fyreslayers player and overall a big AOS fan I gotta say we have to be able to discuss pros and cons and not just say everything is good or everything is trash.

I think overall what we have seen makes it seem as though Fyreslayers will be weaker however we don't have all the details so that CAN change.

I am excited to see what happens

• Like 3

New magmadroth stats from one guy with the tome:

-Big increase in cost.

-+1 hit in claws

-+2 attacks in maw

-ryder a sligth buff

-now have 16 wounds(old had 14) but have only save 4 when every actual monster have save3

So in total old magma had a damage of 5 in melle and new have 8'8(ignoring ryder in both old and new as we dont know new stats) but a big increase in cost

These changes could be good without a increase in points,but if the increase is big maybe be more nerf than buff

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Doko said:

-now have 16 wounds(old had 14) but have only save 4 when every actual monster have save3

ok, to provide further clarification in light of the "confused face" reaction. Monters with 4+ or worse save characteristic out of the top of my head (mostly I know order stuff): drakesworn templar, freeguild general and battlemage on griffon, dreadlord or sorceress on black dragon, skink and saurus heroes on monster mounts, Morathi, all the gargants, and the list probably goes on and on

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Marcvs said:

ok, to provide further clarification in light of the "confused face" reaction. Monters with 4+ or worse save characteristic out of the top of my head (mostly I know order stuff): drakesworn templar, freeguild general and battlemage on griffon, dreadlord or sorceress on black dragon, skink and saurus heroes on monster mounts, Morathi, all the gargants, and the list probably goes on and on

Terrorgheists.

That Magmadroth breath attack is bad. You have to wait a full turn of not shooting for it to gain any kind of killing power. It's max attacks is 10 for some reason, and adds up per model--so useless against heroes or small units, which is most of the game right now. 3+ to wound is going to suck, and that degrading to-hit is brutal.

Just so everyone realizes, at maximum power and potential (rend -3, 2+/3+, 10 attacks) the fire breath will do on average 5 damage to 4+ saves. That's pitiful for how much you have to work for it and hope you don't get bracketed. I'd rather have the D6 mortals every turn.

Edited by Mutton
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

Ok to provide actual data(btw freeguild general have save 4+1 that is 3)

Idk:turtles save2,eidolons save 3 and 5++

Ironjawz:maw krushas save 3

Vampires:vengolorian lords and vampire on zombie dragon save 3 and 6++

Stormcast: celestant in stardrake,new dragons and new twin dragons save 3

City of sigmar:black dragon and gryfons with shield save 3

Kharadron:ironclad save 3

I could continue but is easy see how almost every non mague monster have save 3 or save 4 with special save or ward after. It is almost imposible find one melle monsterheroe with a save of 4 and nothing extra(i think only trex of seraphons but they reduce damage in 1 so.....)

• Confused 3