The Rumour Thread

10 minutes ago, Brian Damage said:

Spiderfang aside, I think Gitz are the least in need of new/updated models right now, at least within Destruction. It's a pretty big and eclectic mix of new and well-aged models. A plastic Scuttleboss along with the Battletome is probably the most I'd expect.

I'd hope for that at least. Perhaps some Sulphur Troggoths as they've been mentioned and perhaps even a Troggoth Hero.

If its is a single model release that would mean half of Destruction wouldve been a Tome and a model.*

*If Mawtribes Rumour holds true.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

I'd hope for that at least. Perhaps some Sulphur Troggoths as they've been mentioned and perhaps even a Troggoth Hero.

If its is a single model release that would mean half of Destruction wouldve been a Tome and a model.*

*If Mawtribes Rumour holds true.

I have seen the idea for a plastic version or replacement for the Troggoth Hag thrown around. Makes sense, given that Forgeworld does not exactly seem to want to continue supporting AoS.

Overall for Destruction, I would expect Gitz to be a single model tome and Sons to get nothing this edition. But I would also expect a new Destruction army at some point and a range refresh to Ogors. Probably not in the near future, though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

If I was working at GW I would definitely be keeping a close eye on the sales of Elathain's Soulraid to see whether the hype around the meme crab actually translated into sales. Because I actually kinda doubt it. I also doubt that a big crab behemoth or whatever would strike the same chord with people as Duinclaw did. The idea of a little crab friend scuttling along with a warband snipping at people is adorable and hilarious, but once you just put a bunch of crabs into the Idoneth Deepkin army proper that kinda loses it's charm.

I don' t know, I'm not convinced. I think if they were to release giant crabs and they looked cool as hell, people would buy them. Except if their rules were really bad and the vocal tournament scene would denounce them as trash, like they did with Kragnos and the dragon princes. However, I do think that meme-yness played definitely played a role with Duinclaw.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maogrim said:

I don' t know, I'm not convinced. I think if they were to release giant crabs and they looked cool as hell, people would buy them. Except if their rules were really bad and the vocal tournament scene would denounce them as trash, like they did with Kragnos and the dragon princes. However, I do think that meme-yness played definitely played a role with Duinclaw.

I'm not saying a crab behemoth would not be well received and sell well. Giant Enemy Crab has been a dependable meme since 2013 after all ;)

• Haha 4

I still think that Ogor sized crabs and some heavy armoured infantry using crustacean styled armour would be enough to lean into the meme without it becoming the dominate aesthetic of the army. I also think we need some more things like the deepmare where they take an existing species and modify in fantastical ways. That is why I think an Oarfish as a literal sea serpent would be a cool looking unit and something based on one of the most likely candidates for sea serpent myths. I think that we all want something cephalopod related but I feel like this typically is just boils down to us wanting a kraken and I hope we get something a little more creative but I am struggling to think of something more fantastical than a cephalopod... which are already so strange and alien to us hairless apes.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

I still think that Ogor sized crabs and some heavy armoured infantry using crustacean styled armour would be enough to lean into the meme without it becoming the dominate aesthetic of the army. I also think we need some more things like the deepmare where they take an existing species and modify in fantastical ways. That is why I think an Oarfish as a literal sea serpent would be a cool looking unit and something based on one of the most likely candidates for sea serpent myths. I think that we all want something cephalopod related but I feel like this typically is just boils down to us wanting a kraken and I hope we get something a little more creative but I am struggling to think of something more fantastical than a cephalopod... which are already so strange and alien to us hairless apes.

Did you forget about my main man Ochtar?

99120219006_IdonethLotann01.jpg

• LOVE IT! 2

16 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Did you forget about my main man Ochtar?

99120219006_IdonethLotann01.jpg

Hahaha, far from it. I think that it is a good example of how an Octopus is already a cool idea and hard to improve upon although I do think a unit of Ochtar with Cutlasses and flintlock pistols and the like would actually be much better than a giant kraken.

Although I do think that sharktopus would be pretty cool in aos!

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I have seen the idea for a plastic version or replacement for the Troggoth Hag thrown around. Makes sense, given that Forgeworld does not exactly seem to want to continue supporting AoS.

Overall for Destruction, I would expect Gitz to be a single model tome and Sons to get nothing this edition. But I would also expect a new Destruction army at some point and a range refresh to Ogors. Probably not in the near future, though.

If we get a new Army and Range Refresh for Ogors I'd be more than happy. I just want Era of the Beast to go well by Destruction fans because who knows when we will be in the spotlight again and most likely to get treatment.

Any new gloomspite troggoth model is my dream come true, a wizard or behemoth troggoth would be the icing on the cake, when they announced "Age of the Beasts" I was expecting a steady announcement of new monsters for every army month by month. My hopes might have been a little optimistic...

• Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 7:10 PM, Morglum StormBasha said:

I think they’ve reached a point where they are close to a point where they can’t realistically support all the books in a one edition cycle with 24 tomes now in play.

i still think it’s likely that in fullness of time we see chaos dwarfs, malerion elves and kurnothi but I could see all three of those as going into existing tomes (slaves, dok, sylvaneth)

You know I thought the same thing, then today I'm greeted with the news that GW is putting out separate supplements for Sororitas Orders (a la Marine Chapters) so............

26 minutes ago, Hawke said:

Any new gloomspite troggoth model is my dream come true, a wizard or behemoth troggoth would be the icing on the cake, when they announced "Age of the Beasts" I was expecting a steady announcement of new monsters for every army month by month. My hopes might have been a little optimistic...

A bit optimistic but still something to look forward to!! 

A Troggoth Behemoth would be awesome!! Bigger than a Dankhold but smaller than a Mega Gargant. Somewhere in-between a Mancrusher and Treelord.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

You know I thought the same thing, then today I'm greeted with the news that GW is putting out separate supplements for Sororitas Orders (a la Marine Chapters) so............

Well, why only charge people for three books (core rules, chapter approved and codex) when you can also charge for four?

Scattering the rules over more books is bad, but that's a detriment to the player for the benefit of allowing them to pay for more books.

• Haha 2

I think the crab thing is a bit of a meme for sure, but at the same time a lot of people really love my painted duinclaw even though he is a lot less impressive than some of the other models.

Same with the octopus. There are tons of people who love sea creatures and would be way more into Idoneth if GW leaned more into that and less into elves

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

If I was working at GW I would definitely be keeping a close eye on the sales of Elathain's Soulraid to see whether the hype around the meme crab actually translated into sales. Because I actually kinda doubt it. I also doubt that a big crab behemoth or whatever would strike the same chord with people as Duinclaw did. The idea of a little crab friend scuttling along with a warband snipping at people is adorable and hilarious, but once you just put a bunch of crabs into the Idoneth Deepkin army proper that kinda loses it's charm.

The Crab is AoS' equivalent of the Krieg shovels meme.

It was cute at first. Now I just want people to stop regurgitating it every time new models or Idoneth are brought up.

Yes, I'm fun at parties and all that.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 8
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Brian Damage said:

Spiderfang aside, I think Gitz are the least in need of new/updated models right now, at least within Destruction. It's a pretty big and eclectic mix of new and well-aged models. A plastic Scuttleboss along with the Battletome is probably the most I'd expect.

All spiderfang needs to be fully updated in my eyes is a stormdrake/blightlord style scuttleboss kit and updated spider riders.

That said ogors are the destruction faction most in need of an update, there's still quite a few resin kits in that line.

• Like 1

in a realistic view, Ogors and BoC really just need their Resin Hero to be made in Plastic as that the current big problem with their range (Ogors have the Tyrant which is the only one outside of the stonehorn kit and BoC has the bray shaman and the Tzaangor Shaman), they probably could do more with plastic hero release (though more than the standard one) since their core plastic range is serviceable and isn't egregiously old.

some of the Ogor stuff like Gorgers and Yhetees, feel like those random resin Drukhari units that GW keep around in the army but are questionable if we ever see a plastic version of them in the future

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, novakai said:

in a realistic view, Ogors and BoC really just need their Resin Hero to be made in Plastic as that the current big problem with their range (Ogors have the Tyrant which is the only one outside of the stonehorn kit and BoC has the bray shaman and the Tzaangor Shaman), they probably could do more with plastic hero release (though more than the standard one) since their core plastic range is serviceable and isn't egregiously old.

some of the Ogor stuff like Gorgers and Yhetees, feel like those random resin Drukhari units that GW keep around in the army but are questionable if we ever see a plastic version of them in the future

Not sure about a gorger kit, but I could definitely see plastic frost sabres, yhetees, and maneaters.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, novakai said:

I always felt GW wanted to pull those units off or waited to remake them in a new Aos way.
Gorgers seems a plausible start for a new faction or type of units,while yheetes mesh wells with the beastclaw so waited to perhaps create a new kit.
But now considering TOW returns who knows....Firebellies remains the one faction idea more plausible to expand or soup to the other mawtibes subfactions tbh(fire and ice).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Snorri Nelriksson said:

I always felt GW wanted to pull those units off or waited to remake them in a new Aos way.
Gorgers seems a plausible start for a new faction or type of units,while yheetes mesh wells with the beastclaw so waited to perhaps create a new kit.
But now considering TOW returns who knows....Firebellies remains the one faction idea more plausible to expand or soup to the other mawtibes subfactions tbh(fire and ice).

Eventually i feel like they will do something about them (pull them out or remake them) but in the context of this edition and maybe even the next, i can see GW just letting them just lavishing around until then because it doesn't seem like it would be a priority. 

i feel more hopeful for the Firebelly just because they bother making a spell lore for him and actually give you reason to use him, but is it going to happen IDK shrug.