The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Don't get too excited. I have more faith in AoS' writing team to push the narrative forward in new and interesting directions, but Psychic Awakening hype was hilariously overblown (GW comparing it with the 13th Black Crusade and I think even the Heresy) when all we actually got were basically stretched out versions of those small 'timeline paragraphs' they include several pages of.

Very true. But we must believe!!

1 hour ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Don't get too excited. I have more faith in AoS' writing team to push the narrative forward in new and interesting directions, but Psychic Awakening hype was hilariously overblown (GW comparing it with the 13th Black Crusade and I think even the Heresy) when all we actually got were basically stretched out versions of those small 'timeline paragraphs' they include several pages of.

I (mostly) liked the Ork PA book. I think Ragnar beating Ghaz with a chainsword was pretty ham-fisted though. I expected Ghazghkull to lose (we Orks are made for fighting and losing), I just thought we would lose to someone with a narrative connection with Ghaz like Grimaldus, Helbrect, Dante, or someone who fought on Armageddon. Throwing Ragnar at him feels like they chose his opponent by spinning a roulette wheel of Space Marine captains.

All the other narrative events and the special upgrades were pretty nice and fluffy. I liked the Speedwaaagh of Leckides where the Waaagh energy was so oppressive that the Wolf Priests had their heads explode in their helmets or the battle of Brakhutos where the wolves fought Squigs and Franken-Orks. They had some good stuff there, but it seemed like they had to force Ragnar and Ghaz into the book (they barely get a mention despite being the focus of the book).

Luckily, judging by the index page it seems this book was written around Morathi instead of random lore snippets with Morathi thrown in at the end like Saga of the Beast.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2020 at 1:31 AM, Clan's Cynic said:

Pleasantly surprised the collector's edition cover actually looks different and isn't just a shinier version for double the price.

Bugman looks fantastic.

Speaking of. Except for the change of cover what does the collectors addition have that the normal don’t?

Removing Anvilgard would be a stupid decision, and that's why I trust the current GW not to do it (although the Mercenaries thing was iffy).

It would literally spook every player of a faction made up of models pre-2015 and kill much of the interest in CoS in general, as a "Who's next?" feeling would hang over the faction. A CoS army is often a huge commitment in terms of sourcing, converting and painting, and nobody wants that under such circumstances.

Anyway, Anvilgard seems potentially quite popular in terms of concept, with the rules generally putting people off. Conversely, The Phonicium thread on this forum is on Page 3, lol (although, I wouldn't want that city to get squatted either, for the reasons outlined above).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aelfric said:

The fall of Anvilguard doesn't have to be it's destruction.  It could simply mean that it falls to Morathi and becomes Her city rather than Sigmar's.  Goodbye 1 in 4 Stormcast - Hello 1 in 4 DOK.

Now that would be quite interesting!

Then switch out SC for Fyreslayers in Tempest's Eye next!

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

2 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Now that would be quite interesting!

Then switch out SC for Fyreslayers in Tempest's Eye next!

If they bring out Broken Realms: Grungni, He'll want a city of His own after all.  I think this series is going to shake up the Realms more than the Necroquake.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Kyriakin said:

Removing Anvilgard would be a stupid decision, and that's why I trust the current GW not to do it (although the Mercenaries thing was iffy).

It would literally spook every player of a faction made up of models pre-2015 and kill much of the interest in CoS in general, as a "Who's next?" feeling would hang over the faction. A CoS army is often a huge commitment in terms of sourcing, converting and painting, and nobody wants that under such circumstances.

Anyway, Anvilgard seems potentially quite popular in terms of concept, with the rules generally putting people off. Conversely, The Phonicium thread on this forum is on Page 3, lol (although, I wouldn't want that city to get squatted either, for the reasons outlined above).

I don’t think they’ll kill of the allegiance.

They’ll probably do the same thing with the cadian army , should the city really be destroyed.

5 minutes ago, Lord of the Isle said:

It would be a bit cheap if Misthavn rules replaced a destroyed Anvilgard, though at least they might play more effectively...

Anvilgard does have the trick of removing units from game without regard of the size or save of that unit with their spell and a trio of steamcopters.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Lord of the Isle said:

One trick doth not a characterful fun effective city make

EDIT: to be clear I love both Anvilgard and Misthavn background and would love both to continue to be playable, the more Tortugas the merrier

Oh, I do agree Anvilgard should have more options. A few more tricks with monsters or drakespawn would be nice.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Candlelight said:

Lack of BL novels and proper AoS novel series is not making me happy. Not sure if I want to spend that much money on 72 pages of lore. I hope BL will pick up with AoS novels in 2021

From what I can tell BL has been publishing AoS novels and short stories at a decent pace. Not as fast as 40K and there was a dead period earlier this year when everything nation wide shut down and broke down. They seem to be getting back up to speed and this month alone there's a new DoK book and Inferno in print and some Novellas and other stuff. 

Also BL is very keenly focusing on all factions with their AoS publications so that's a massive boon over 40K which for years was basically Imperial only with the very occasional xenos book. 

Really at this stage the only shortfall for BL is the lack of a unified dating system for AoS. Something I really hope GW introduces so that we can at the very least relate stories in time and also in place. Gives us a sense of what happens before and after other things since right now we are running on very sketchy things like "before and after necroquake" 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Overread said:

Really at this stage the only shortfall for BL is the lack of a unified dating system for AoS. Something I really hope GW introduces so that we can at the very least relate stories in time and also in place. Gives us a sense of what happens before and after other things since right now we are running on very sketchy things like "before and after necroquake" 

It's an interesting problem, because there are fixed time periods established in AoS: 300 years of the Age of Chaos, for example, and the Core of AoS takes places a few hundred years after the opening of the Realmgates and the Stormcast's arrival, marked by the establishment of the cities.

If you wanted to establish a year by year timeline, you could only do it from a certain perspective without creating correlating timelines for every race. SCE are not a dominant force in the narrative of AoS - Chaos is still very much the dominant power across the realms, so with a single timeline, you'd end up kinda forcing the setting into a similar vein to 40k - humans vs everyone else. The range of races in AoS means that that bias wouldn't be very useful.

A fixed timeline has the potential to generate chronology fluff problems like 40k has where hundreds of thousands of stories all take place in like the last 6 months in 999 m41, but all have galaxy wide implications.

So overall, I'd say a strict timeline would hurt the setting more than help it  and tying each race to events allows for a greater freedom. Saying "Between the Realmgate Wars and the Necroquake, X happened to the Gitz; between the Necroquake and the 'Morathi-Khaine Consplicing', X other things happened to the Gitz", gives authors and narrative people the option to fill in the blanks however they want without worrying they're stepping on anyone's toes.

It's certainly an interesting discussion point tho, and GW learned the hard way that not having maps really hurt people's integration with the lore. Maybe a strict timeline would help that; my own feeling as laid out above, is that it would hurt it instead. Loose borders are better than hard ones for narrative purposes.

Edited by plavski
  • Like 2

So as a Slaves to Darkness player, does purchasing this book make sense?

I am getting maybe 2 pages of content and it looks to be battalions? Also will this likely be the only update Slaves to darkness will see in this ongoing campaign series?

Sorry, I am a little lost as I have never picked up one of these campaign supplements. I know I should have gotten Wrath of the Everchosen, but since I mostly play Undivided and do not have Varanguard very little of the content seemed applicable to my army.

1 minute ago, Neverchosen said:

I am getting maybe 2 pages of content and it looks to be battalions? Also will this likely be the only update Slaves to darkness will see in this ongoing campaign series?

Sorry, I am a little lost as I have never picked up one of these campaign supplements. I know I should have gotten Wrath of the Everchosen, but since I mostly play Undivided and do not have Varanguard very little of the content seemed applicable to my army.

These books are primarily for the lore and battleplans and campaigns. I'm getting it as even though I have none of these armies, I'm excited to play the narrative story. If you're purely a competitive player, there's probably very little of value - I wouldn't expect the battalion to be game changing or anything. But for the fluff and the narrative aspects, it's gold.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

Not only Battallions. There are also Allegiance Abilities for Idolators.

• Thanks 1

Thank you @plavski and @michu

I will wait to see more about the content. I am actually really excited about this campaign and very interested in this book but considering that there are a number of other books to follow I am slightly more hesitant. I am interested in picking up that box of chariots as it seems like it can help me make a really fun alt build for my army. 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 1