The Rumour Thread

9 minutes ago, Bradipo322 said:

Seeing the trend I fully expect GW to develop Stormcast into Space Marines (something like different stormhosts as opposed to differet chapters). It will happen, it's not a matter of if but when.

That would make it very interesting.

although I’m hoping they’ll wait a bit longer this time before releasing something new for stormcast.

Honestly I'd rather GW focused on new human and race factions rather than sprawling Stormcast out into an endless number of releases. Also lets not forget that space Marines being the biggest seller is both a good and bad thing. It's good in terms of easier marketing; but its bad because it means GW often has to put more into other factions to help get their head up. There's also the risk that clubs can get dominated by "marines" which can turn people away from the game. Those marines need xenos and such to fight against. 

Also lets not forget not all Space Marine chapters are of equal value; some have come and gone over the years and with them many of the changes were just a paint job and a few heroes. AoS is currently more than just Liberators in different colours. 

Marines becoming dominant was more accident than intent and GW ran with it and it self perpetuated. I think with stormcast they've clearly copied the pattern, but I hope they don't try to make it run away and self perpetuate popularity; which honestly is where I think we are today. Some love Stormcast, others don't; but they don't appear to be heavily dominating to the same way marines do. That's a healthier game for us and GW.  It's much easier for them to work with a game where they've not front-loaded one faction as the core and it means more diversity and armies and factions for regular players.

SC I think just got a LOT of attention very fast and very early on which helped push them way forward. Right now my impression is GW is going to slow things down for them and use that slack to release stuff for the other factions. Moving forward we might not even see any new stormcast stuff for a good long while barring the odd hero. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

That would make it very interesting.

although I’m hoping they’ll wait a bit longer this time before releasing something new for stormcast.

God, I hope that I don't have to buy another batch of new Stormcast models for at least a couple of years.

I do love them but my pile of shame is already huge (of the ~3500 points of Stormcast that I own only ~1000 are painted).

17 minutes ago, xking said:

I don't think they're going to give different stormhost their own books. Why do you think that?

Just take a look at the last battletome, there are 8 stormhosts that are described as getting different from each other (e.g. Hammers of Sigmar channel lightning when they enter the fervour of battle while Celestial Vindicators enters a terrible rage when they fight).

Also the desing of Stormcast reflect a lot of the design of Space Marines as they are both super-soldier made by a powerful being, and you can see a lot of patterns between the two.

I predict that we are just some editions away from stormhost-specific books.

• Like 1

At the same time most factions now have sub-groups. In fact pretty much all of them do. Each with their own unique attributes. The way I see it GW gave sub-groups to all armies in AoS in some form or another but it doesn't mean that they are going to make a whole model line for each one. Most are just unique colour schemes.

Stormcast might get a bit more in getting heroes from specific ones as dedicated models, but otherwise I can't see them making two or three whole armies for them. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bradipo322 said:

I predict that we are just some editions away from stormhost-specific books.

I don't think so (but you are righ for the first part). It is just not doable in the fantasy world and tbh not with the design of stormcast.

In a selling point of view, AoS is far behind 40K. Stormcast are less iconic and sales are far behind SM. So, it isn't worth it. They'd much better do/redo new/old factions, adapt and make the whole AoS consistent to the 2.0 patern.

2 hours ago, Overread said:

Honestly I'd rather GW focused on new human and race factions rather than sprawling Stormcast out into an endless number of releases. Also lets not forget that space Marines being the biggest seller is both a good and bad thing. It's good in terms of easier marketing; but its bad because it means GW often has to put more into other factions to help get their head up. There's also the risk that clubs can get dominated by "marines" which can turn people away from the game. Those marines need xenos and such to fight against. 

I dont think anyone invested in the game (like people on this forum) would argue with you, but as you point out GW need/want a unique marketing focus and Stormcast are very good for that.  Im sure they are aware it might turn some people off, and it certainly sucks seeing friends put the game down whatever the reason, but it can be seen that the approach brings more in that it pushes away.  They will already have a plan (and models!) for the next few years, and it would be an odd bet that Stormcast dont feature strongly in that plan.

5 minutes ago, Ndabreaker said:

This is just a 1 week release. Alittle gap filler I was told. Numerous of these will take place over the year. 

Honestly if GW has a lot of battletome filler weeks that's good news! Certainly for updating older factions there's at least 6 or so factions with large model ranges who just need a rules update. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ndabreaker said:

So Rumour Time. 

Seraphon are coming as some of you have said. 

Seraphon battletome , endless spells and teterrain. Due end of March / early April . 

Terrain as predicticted is 3 spawning pools. 

Only seen one spell which appears to be an ethereal reptile/dino a spirit of something.

Thats all I got for now

I don't have Seraphon, but this is probably the battletome I want to see most that I'm not going to have an army for. I really want to see if/how they retcon their lore. I'm guessing that their summoning mechanic will be changed, at least somewhat to incorporate the spawning pools. Hopefully it they get some cool and unique rules. I have to say I'm a disappointing with the Loonshrine as far as what it adds, or rather doesn't add, to the army especially compared to the herdstone and gloomtide ship wreck.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Overread said:

Honestly if GW has a lot of battletome filler weeks that's good news! Certainly for updating older factions there's at least 6 or so factions with large model ranges who just need a rules update. 

I'd totally be okay with filler battletomes to get something out in the same way GW pushed out a lot of the "middle" codexes for 40k.

4 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

I don't have Seraphon, but this is probably the battletome I want to see most that I'm not going to have an army for. I really want to see if/how they retcon their lore. I'm guessing that their summoning mechanic will be changed, at least somewhat to incorporate the spawning pools. Hopefully it they get some cool and unique rules. I have to say I'm a disappointing with the Loonshrine as far as what it adds, or rather doesn't add, to the army especially compared to the herdstone and gloomtide ship wreck.

It doubt it will be a retcon, time is moving forward in the AoS universe (that was the point of AoS over Fantasy) so id guess any changes will be an 'evolution' (LOL) or progression of their story.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dirtnaps said:

Have they actually said or eluded to who the Celestant-Prime is/was yet?

@xking or for that matter a source that indicates/hints the Prime is not Karl Franz? Because the Nurgle vs. Sylvaneth story, plus some snippets here and there, does seem too tease that. 

2 hours ago, Ndabreaker said:

So Rumour Time. 

Seraphon are coming as some of you have said. 

Seraphon battletome , endless spells and teterrain. Due end of March / early April . 

Terrain as predicticted is 3 spawning pools. 

Only seen one spell which appears to be an ethereal reptile/dino a spirit of something.

Thats all I got for now

Any news on Tyrion and Malerion Elves? 

I feel the battle tome rumors might be getting contaminated  by wish listing at this point. Or I suppose we could just be looking at record AoS releases.  So far I've heard loose rumors for:

Fyreslayers (or combined duardin book)

Blades of Khorne

Seraphon

Ironjawz

"Light themed Elves"-these are rumored to be end of year/early next year though (Next year according to Ndabreaker)

Gutbusters

Based on recent releases/announcements there are strong rumors for

Slaanesh

Flesh Eater Courts

Skaven

Darkoath (coupled with Slaves to Darkness and Everchosen)

Finally we have already had GloomSpite Gitz release this year.

Last year we had Nurgle, Daughters of Khaine, Idoneth Deepkin, More Stormcasts, Nighthaunt, and Beasts of Chaos.  I'm hopeful but skeptical of AoS getting 9 to 10 releases even with lighter, Beasts of Chaos style releases. Not to mention that while I haven't heard any rumors I'm suspicious of any annual release schedule that doesn't feature Stormcast Eternals.

Edit:  Updated with Ndabreaker's comments.

Edited by Forrix
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Forrix said:

I feel the battle tome rumors might be getting contaminated  by wish listing at this point. Or I suppose we could just be looking at record AoS releases.  So far I've heard loose rumors for:

Fyreslayers

Blades of Khorne

Seraphon

Ironjawz

"Light themed Elves"-these are rumored to be end of year/early next year though

Based on recent releases/announcements there are strong rumors for

Slaanesh

Flesh Eater Courts

Skaven

Darkoath (coupled with Slaves to Darkness and Everchosen)

Finally we have already had GloomSpite Gitz release this year.

Last year we had Nurgle, Daughters of Khaine, Idoneth Deepkin, More Stormcasts, Nighthaunt, and Beasts of Chaos.  I'm hopeful but skeptical of AoS getting 9 to 10 releases even with lighter, Beasts of Chaos style releases. Not to mention that while I haven't heard any rumors I'm suspicious of any annual release schedule that doesn't feature Stormcast Eternals.

I’m super skeptical too. However in gw’s report just recently they mentioned work on expanding their factories and a few other things didn’t pay off last year but should this year. Maybe this is it?

• Like 1