The Rumour Thread

I remember someone mentioning there was a side panel in one of the rulebooks (or it was in a malign portents story, I'm not entirely sure) that was basically someone finding his shield but apart from that I don't think there's been anything.

Edited by Dirtnaps

36 minutes ago, Sharkbelly said:

I have one that is similar made from a 40K Slythh and a Dark Eldar Head. I wonder if Sigvald might make a comeback... has he been mentioned in the lore at all?

This was the last place he was mentioned, and even then, it was more alluding to him rather than outright stating he's back.

7b3b329.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, eciu said:

So the purpose of End Times was to re-release all old heroes once more ?;P

What a great marketing scheme ^^

Exactly. As I've mentioned before, there are even hints now that the realms will be reconnected to one singular 'old world'  realm.

I'm dumbfounded. They have spent two years telling everyone the old world is gone and AoS will be it's own thing.

Oh well. I happily ignored lore when it was WFB, I'll continue this trend into AoS now. I have a nice collection of old world and AoS books but I'll stop buying anything new and just collect the chronicle books. I'll go back to cherry picking the bits I do enjoy and ignoring the rest.

3 minutes ago, eciu said:

Lol, what ?

It's been alluded to in some of the lore with the realm gates possibly being built to bring the realms together and make them whole, Shyish becoming a nadir drawing in all the death magic of the realms (which they were saturated in when the necroquake occurred) could also help support this but it probably won't happen anytime soon if at all. Only time will tell.

1 hour ago, RexHavoc said:

Exactly. As I've mentioned before, there are even hints now that the realms will be reconnected to one singular 'old world'  realm.

I'm dumbfounded. They have spent two years telling everyone the old world is gone and AoS will be it's own thing.

Oh well. I happily ignored lore when it was WFB, I'll continue this trend into AoS now. I have a nice collection of old world and AoS books but I'll stop buying anything new and just collect the chronicle books. I'll go back to cherry picking the bits I do enjoy and ignoring the rest.

Eh, no? All characters that have returned were those whose ET stories were built as to make the transition: incarnates (+ mortarchs), Gotrek, Thanquol (skitterleaping at the end of his ET book to the realm of chaos), inmortal chaos daemons. The exception are the hints of old world human characters making it as Stormcasts. Balthasar Gelt is the most obvious hint. But it is just that: small connections to live up the idea that the realms were formed from and are the continuation of the WHFB world. Just listen to Realmslayer and you will see how well it can be made.

1 hour ago, Turgol said:

Eh, no? All characters that have returned were those whose ET stories were built as to make the transition: incarnates (+ mortarchs), Gotrek, Thanquol (skitterleaping at the end of his ET book to the realm of chaos), inmortal chaos daemons. The exception are the hints of old world human characters making it as Stormcasts. Balthasar Gelt is the most obvious hint. But it is just that: small connections to live up the idea that the realms were formed from and are the continuation of the WHFB world. Just listen to Realmslayer and you will see how well it can be made.

You might say no, and I kind of agree with you, but I do get where @RexHavoc is coming from. 

It’s not the clean cut I imagined either. I think mostly because of the lack of screentime for the new named characters. The big storieslines still feel as the same chaos gods vs the same (kind off) good guy with the undead third wheel.

Again I read a lot of the books so I get the new characters as well. But it’s not a clean a cut as promoted. The old world references are (close to) everywhere. 

17 hours ago, Enoby said:

Probably means absolutely nothing as it was just a short audiobook, but Dechala the Denied in in AoS now. For those who don't know, she was one of the first (if not the first) Slaanesh named characters so maybe there's a chance of a new model for her (but probably not).  

Screenshot_20181107-192212_Chrome.jpg

She-Who-Was-Denied :D

Great story, only downside was its length, too short :)

Dechala, 6 swords armed, knives for hair, fingers crossed for model reboot. Maybe she will be main opponent of Karanak in Wrath & Rapture? Fingers cossed she will!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kramer said:

You might say no, and I kind of agree with you, but I do get where @RexHavoc is coming from. 

It’s not the clean cut I imagined either. I think mostly because of the lack of screentime for the new named characters. The big storieslines still feel as the same chaos gods vs the same (kind off) good guy with the undead third wheel.

Again I read a lot of the books so I get the new characters as well. But it’s not a clean a cut as promoted. The old world references are (close to) everywhere. 

I do agree with you there. We do not have enough new characters and outside of Vandus, they normally feel irrelevant or unexploited. I do think GW has made an increasing effort to include new characters, but so far have failed to exploit it. This is not due to wanting to go back though! And bare in mind that from the start the survivors of the world that was were pictured as central, demigods and gods as they are. The heroic ordinary characters are those missing.

• Like 1

I think that GW still needs to settle the AoS lore and backstories a bit. They've got a bit stuck from trying to rush through 2 whole ages of the Realms in a very short space of time and then their current age sort of needed a lot of military and war heavy books to get it started so that every book wasn't "Chaos is winning I'm running/hiding/losing" stories. So we've had a lot of stormcast books focused on a lot of battles. I think that we are starting to see with things like the new Novella series and Inferno, a shift in the writing from GW and we can expect to see them starting to experiment starting new characters. I'd expect to see them test the waters and then see which ones work and which don't and run with that. Since that is basically how a lot of their other heroes grew over time. 

One bonus is that because of the Grand Alliance system they can do a party and have it cover quite a few different factions with named heroes. So that would help give different players different characters for their armies. 

Plus we already have their comic series and the brave and bold Archibald. 

Edited by Overread
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Turgol said:

I do agree with you there. We do not have enough new characters and outside of Vandus, they normally feel irrelevant or unexploited. I do think GW has made an increasing effort to include new characters, but so far have failed to exploit it. This is not due to wanting to go back though! And bare in mind that from the start the survivors of the world that was were pictured as central, demigods and gods as they are. The heroic ordinary characters are those missing.

Not sure I quite agree with this.  You've got a load of other characters out there - Callis & Toll, Gardus, Owain Volkner & Zana - and that's just "goodies" off the top of my head.

• Like 2

I think most intresting is actualy each  chaos god execpt horned rat kinda gaining their own valkrye as khorne has valkia and tzeench has the warqueen all leaves nurge and slaneesh to get their girls and we have archeons angels battalion with archeon valkia the new darkoath warqueen  with two new girls to compleate the pack.

49 minutes ago, michu said:

Yes we have plenty new characters - maybe people would notice them more if they had miniatures. I definitely would want to see Owain Volker as a named version of Gunmaster.

I don’t think they will go down the line of making models for loads of characters, just major ones. The purpose of AoS over Fantasy was to allow the timeline to advance. Having lots and lots of models for named characters (especially mortal ones) might start to drag at the opportunities AoS has.

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

Not sure I quite agree with this.  You've got a load of other characters out there - Callis & Toll, Gardus, Owain Volkner & Zana - and that's just "goodies" off the top of my head.

Im sorry but how can you forget Ser Roggen? The greatest knight in the service of our lady Alarielle :P 

I think one of the biggest problems right now is not the lack of characters but the disconnect between tabletop heroes and black library heroes. I can understand why. Author like to have characters that are completely there own but the tabletop heroes need a few stories outside of the rulebooks to really establish themselves. Hell, the most Ive read about Brokk Grungsson  was in a rant from another character about this guy in "curse of the iron dragon". 

• Like 1

Agree @Gecktron we need more stories with named characters from tabletop like king Volturnos, Lotann or Kurdoss Valentian, but GW probably sees the issue. They sell Neave Blacktalon together with dedicated book (I know, I know another Stormcast...).

Edited by michu
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Turgol said:

Balthasar Gelt is the most obvious hint.

Sorry a bit off topic but I did read it already a couple of times, who would have been reforged as Balthasar?

I personally think the idea of connecting the realms and also to add maps is because people couldn’t follow the plot in the new stories without something to relate to. Everyone from WHFB knew the Old World by memory, but what about the Great Parch? What was it? How did it fit with the rest? Creating connections I see it as a move forward not a return to WHFB

It's in the new SCE Battletome. A Lord Arcanum of (obviously) Chamon. I'll quote it (p. 30): "The Lord Arcanjm of the Grave Brethren - the foremost Anvils of the Heldenhammer Sacrosanct Chamber - hails from another era entirely. Though his history is shrouded, his ability to wield the transmutative magic of Chamon is such that he turned the gold stores of the rebel city of Agnostai to granite with a wave of his hand."