The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, Barimbino said:

The gems make me think aelves, but the clawed hand makes me think tzeentch.

Tzaangors have gems on their person.

Okay so clawed - not quiet human (but we haven't seen elves)

Eye symbol - Eldar (that shape - so loose Elf connection maybe again) and more often Tzeentch

9 spirals on the central design - Tzeentch sacred number (there's no reason the new Elves can't worship a Chaos God is there?)

I am leaning Tzeentch what with current releases. And gut.

There are a few daemons due for Thousand Sons but that skin tone doesn't match. Another Tzaangor?

They're all done for 40k no?

So, I'd have to hazard a guess that it's a new Tzeentchian caster for AoS.

Edited by Turragor

New news from the novel front. 

https://joshuamreynolds.wordpress.com/2016/11/23/wip-wednesday-eight-weapons/

WIP WEDNESDAY: EIGHT WEAPONS

One of the biggest obstacles to doing these weekly updates is because I can only rarely talk about certain projects openly. But, since I got to talk about Book #6 at Black Library Live! 2016, I figure I can discuss it some here as well.

As of today, I’m about 22,000 words into the first draft of Eight Lamentations: Spear of Shadows (AKA Book #6). The book, which is set in Games Workshop’s Age of Sigmar setting, is a high-octane, interdimensional adventure. A band of heroes (some more heroic than others) are sent on a desperate quest for a long-lost daemonic weapon, pursued by vampiric spies, shape-changing assassins, and a murderous champion of the dark gods. Sounds simple enough, right?

Part of the brief for this book was that it include some elements of the intellectual property not yet explored in any detail. To that end, it has so far had scenes with members of the Ironweld Arsenal (an alliance of duardin and human engineers), the Stormcast Eternals of the Sons of Mallus Stormhost (specifically Gaius Greel, last seen in The Realmgate Wars: Fury of Gork), the Bloodbound (cannibalistic Chaos warriors who worship the Blood God), Deathrattle skeletons, Soulblight vampires, the Skaven (nefarious rat-men with a penchant for mad science and treachery), various flavours of duardin (fantasy dwarfs, with a twist or three), shape-changing Arcanites (another type of Chaos warrior, worshippers of the Changer of Ways) and at least one ogor (an ogre). And that’s just in the first quarter of the book.

One of the common criticisms leveled at this particular setting has been its relative lack of depth. We know who the factions are, and why they’re fighting, but not what they’re fighting for. Who and what are the various factions seeking to protect, conquer or devour? Now, anyone who’s read the various tie-in novels, audios and short stories related to the setting probably already has some idea as to the answer to that question.

But with this book, I’m getting the opportunity to really dig into HOW the realms work, and how a city in the Age of Sigmar might function. You want to know what people (and Skaven) eat? Got you covered. Want to know how the sewers work? Weird, but okay. Who patrols the walls? How do they brew beer? What’s a slum like in the Age of Sigmar (short answer: awful)? Where do the rich folks live? What sort of temples do they have? Where do all these people come from, if the armies of the dark gods are constantly attacking? These are all questions I’m hoping to answer. Satisfactorily, if not in detail.

More than that, I’m getting to explore how the various cultures of the mortal realms might interact – can the scion of a noble house of the Celestial Realm get along with a hard-bitten sellsword from the Realm of Metal? What does a librarian in the Realm of Beasts look like? What about a demigryph knight from the Realm of Life?

But, strip all of that away, and its a book about people, and the reasons they do what they do. It’s a book about family and expectation, trust and loyalty.

That’s what I hope, at any rate. But if you want to concentrate on the aerial battles, the giant war machine powered by thousands upon thousands of rats, and the giant spider nesting inside the trunk of a giant tree-citadel, I won’t hold it against you.

Anyway, that’s what I’m working on this week.

This is JUST what the setting needs in my opinion I am quite excited. :D

Edited by shinros
  • Like 12

16 minutes ago, shinros said:

One of the biggest obstacles to doing these weekly updates is because I can only rarely talk about certain projects openly. But, since I got to talk about Book #6 at Black Library Live! 2016, I figure I can discuss it some here as well.

As of today, I’m about 22,000 words into the first draft of Eight Lamentations: Spear of Shadows (AKA Book #6). The book, which is set in Games Workshop’s Age of Sigmar setting, is a high-octane, interdimensional adventure. A band of heroes (some more heroic than others) are sent on a desperate quest for a long-lost daemonic weapon, pursued by vampiric spies, shape-changing assassins, and a murderous champion of the dark gods. Sounds simple enough, right?

Part of the brief for this book was that it include some elements of the intellectual property not yet explored in any detail. To that end, it has so far had scenes with members of the Ironweld Arsenal (an alliance of duardin and human engineers), the Stormcast Eternals of the Sons of Mallus Stormhost (specifically Gaius Greel, last seen in The Realmgate Wars: Fury of Gork), the Bloodbound (cannibalistic Chaos warriors who worship the Blood God), Deathrattle skeletons, Soulblight vampires, the Skaven (nefarious rat-men with a penchant for mad science and treachery), various flavours of duardin (fantasy dwarfs, with a twist or three), shape-changing Arcanites (another type of Chaos warrior, worshippers of the Changer of Ways) and at least one ogor (an ogre). And that’s just in the first quarter of the book.

One of the common criticisms leveled at this particular setting has been its relative lack of depth. We know who the factions are, and why they’re fighting, but not what they’re fighting for. Who and what are the various factions seeking to protect, conquer or devour? Now, anyone who’s read the various tie-in novels, audios and short stories related to the setting probably already has some idea as to the answer to that question.

But with this book, I’m getting the opportunity to really dig into HOW the realms work, and how a city in the Age of Sigmar might function. You want to know what people (and Skaven) eat? Got you covered. Want to know how the sewers work? Weird, but okay. Who patrols the walls? How do they brew beer? What’s a slum like in the Age of Sigmar (short answer: awful)? Where do the rich folks live? What sort of temples do they have? Where do all these people come from, if the armies of the dark gods are constantly attacking? These are all questions I’m hoping to answer. Satisfactorily, if not in detail.

More than that, I’m getting to explore how the various cultures of the mortal realms might interact – can the scion of a noble house of the Celestial Realm get along with a hard-bitten sellsword from the Realm of Metal? What does a librarian in the Realm of Beasts look like? What about a demigryph knight from the Realm of Life?

But, strip all of that away, and its a book about people, and the reasons they do what they do. It’s a book about family and expectation, trust and loyalty.

That’s what I hope, at any rate. But if you want to concentrate on the aerial battles, the giant war machine powered by thousands upon thousands of rats, and the giant spider nesting inside the trunk of a giant tree-citadel, I won’t hold it against you.

Horaay! :D

2 hours ago, shinros said:

This will be awesome. I am really looking forward to learning more about the deep background of the setting, it's something that has been slightly lacking over the past year.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, shinros said:

This sounds like everything I could want from AoS novel (ok, I would love to learn more about civilisations that inhabited Mortal Realms before Age of Sigmar but you can't have everything)!

10 hours ago, shinros said:

I remember the 8 Lamentations being mentioned in the Black Rift novel. Nice to see that's a thing that's getting expanded on, and with a group of heroes no less!!

• Like 1

Now I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but I've just been looking through the new white dwarf and noticed some artwork on page 75. In the background I saw something I'd classify as new.

It could be nothing, but it's been a long time since I've seen any GW imagery that draws on something that doesn't have a model. Looks to be some sort of character on a disc with a tail.

IMG_2119.JPG

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Changer said:

Now I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but I've just been looking through the new white dwarf and noticed some artwork on page 75. In the background I saw something I'd classify as new.

It could be nothing, but it's been a long time since I've seen any GW imagery that draws on something that doesn't have a model. Looks to be some sort of character on a disc with a tail.

IMG_2119.JPG

The Tzeentch release for 40K starts Saturday so I expect some of those kits going AoS & 40K.

3 hours ago, Baardah said:

I've seen guesses of that staff head being from a slaneesh worshiping aelf. And if that is true, that they have merged aelf and slaneesh and freakin rage quit all over again...

That doesn't mean Slaanesh daemons go away and people have been begging for the return of the cult for ages,  It makes sense especially if each god gets a more dedicated identity.  

15 minutes ago, Changer said:

IMG_2119.JPG

The regular Tzeench lord on disc has a halberd and shield. Not new, unfortunately. Good catch though.

7 minutes ago, Darth Alec said:

The regular Tzeench lord on disc has a halberd and shield. Not new, unfortunately. Good catch though.

He does, but he's also on fire and on a more mechanical disc. He's portrayed in some artwork in the GH I believe. The only disc with a tail I remember is the finecast Herald on disc. Could be nothing, but I'd be suprised is any potential arcanite release didn't include a leader on disc.

11 hours ago, Changer said:

He does, but he's also on fire and on a more mechanical disc. He's portrayed in some artwork in the GH I believe. The only disc with a tail I remember is the finecast Herald on disc. Could be nothing, but I'd be suprised is any potential arcanite release didn't include a leader on disc.

It's just a minor alteration on a theme, not really indicative of anything new coming.

There's plenty of images of Imperial Guard Commanders that don't have models, but are depicted differently from the norm because the artist thought it would look cool, and GW agreed.

• Like 1