The Rumour Thread

While my favorite trolls are still the old stone trolls, this new guy isn't so bad, though still a bit busy for my taste, but that seems to be a way GW is going now. At least he's better than the river trolls. I've never been a huge fan of those, and especially am even less a fan of their current plastic kit. I'll probably almost certainly grab this guy and what ever war band he came with. Part of me was hoping that the Moonclan rumors wouldn't pan out as I'm about to get knee deep in the Middle Earth stuff and my Moonclan army is "complete" for now. But of course if new stuff comes out, I'll have to get it. Between, Nurgle, LoN, Nighthaunts, and now goblins this year, I feel like GW is specifically targeting my wallet and knows exactly how to hurt me. At least they know I don't care about elves and game me a bit of a break in the spring.

• Haha 1

On 8/24/2018 at 5:34 AM, Enoby said:

I'm not so sure about that. The KoS bull head is very elongated and has many jewels and other daemonic additives, whereas the endless spell is very bestial and looks more like a normal bull (sans the big teeth). 

Screenshot_20180824-123141_Chrome.jpg

Go check out the older ones from the 90s when they stood on 40mm bases.  They had a couple with standard Minotaur heads.  Given how much of Age of Sigmar had been inspired from old old Fantasy I would not rule it out.

2 hours ago, Enoby said:

Moon symbol? Fungus? Coincidence? 

20180825_184931.jpg

Nope, it is not a coincidence.  While all of the rumors and leaks for the last year have pointed to grots, this is the first obvious Aelf image leak.  This is most undoubtedly from the new celestial elves that have been hinted at in the background.  It’s a shame too as I am a bit tired of Aelf releases and I was hoping to see something different...

• Like 3
  • Haha 10

23 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

Go check out the older ones from the 90s when they stood on 40mm bases.  They had a couple with standard Minotaur heads.  Given how much of Age of Sigmar had been inspired from old old Fantasy I would not rule it out.

Yeah, the oldest KoS did have a more standard bull head, but my main point was how similar the endless spell looked to the Gorgon - even down to the tendons. Even though the old KoS was more bovine, it still doesn't have that level of similarity. 

5 minutes ago, Enoby said:

Yeah, the oldest KoS did have a more standard bull head, but my main point was how similar the endless spell looked to the Gorgon - even down to the tendons. Even though the old KoS was more bovine, it still doesn't have that level of similarity. 

Yup, I agree with you on that point.  I think I said the same thing when that picture first leaked.  It is pretty much a dead-ringer for most of the Warherd models.

Edited by Skabnoze

2 hours ago, LLV said:

Here we go.... first of many! 

For the comment above, yes all underworld stuff is ETB, but not all moonclan stuff coming will be ETB 

Also here’s a bone for some... see how similar the spore stuff is on the club to the rumour engine pic....Similar but not the same! 

An goes for his arm pits 

2 hours ago, Mr. White said:

Also....Nightvault drops in October?!

I'm 4 warbands behind in Shadespire....

Underworlds is my first GW game ... ever ... where I've kept my commitment to have all models painted before the next release hits.

I'm ready for more!

18 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

There is a cool funny

and

there is a childish funny suited for children toons.

this Troggoth is sadly the latter.

a mix of the Hobbit Goblin King and Stitch from Lilo & Stitch

????

GW has earned a lot of trust in their vision for "rawr over the top turn it up to 11" in the new AoS versions of World That Was armies.

It would just be a bummer if, with many clamoring for squigs, they warped the traditional look of squigs so much that they really don't capture the things that make squigs so appealing - a ball with teeth and a touch of humor.

I am nervous now, having seen the cave shaman and this ... whatever it is.

Edited by Sleboda
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Sleboda said:

GW has earned a lot of trust in their vision for "rawr over the top turn it up to 11" in the new AoS versions of World That Was armies.

It would just be a bummer if, with many clamoring for squigs, they warped the traditional look of squigs so much that they really don't capture the things that make squigs so appealing - a ball with teeth and a touch of humor.

Well the new Soul Wars Box felt really mature so I hoped they‘d rather do Soul War-esque Designs ?

18 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

I am ok with Squigs evolving to have more fungus visual elements.  They have always been meant to be fungus-animal hybrids.  The older squig models often had mushrooms sprouting from their heads.   I think that we can still expect them to be balls of teeth with humor.  That is the iconic look and I can't see them straying too far off a decades-long proven concept.  But, I do think they are going to heavily embrace the fungoid theme Night Goblins have always had and dial it up to 11 as they usually do.

The Fungoid Shaman was not something completely alien.  Old Night Goblin fluff going back from 8th to 4th edition has generally referenced that Shaman often eventually mutated into giant mushrooms over time due to consuming too much exotic fungus.  The theme of Age of Sigmar so far has been to mine ideas from very old-school Warhammer Fantasy and then go crazy with them.  I expect that GW is probably going to take the ideas of cave-dwelling critters and fungus and just go nuts with it for a full Moonclan book.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Skabnoze said:

I am ok with Squigs evolving to have more fungus visual elements.  They have always been meant to be fungus-animal hybrids.  The older squig models often had mushrooms sprouting from their heads.   I think that we can still expect them to be balls of teeth with humor.  That is the iconic look and I can't see them straying too far off a decades-long proven concept.  But, I do think they are going to heavily embrace the fungoid theme Night Goblins have always had and dial it up to 11 as they usually do.

The Fungoid Shaman was not something completely alien.  Old Night Goblin fluff going back from 8th to 4th edition has generally referenced that Shaman often eventually mutated into giant mushrooms over time due to consuming too much exotic fungus.  The theme of Age of Sigmar so far has been to mine ideas from very old-school Warhammer Fantasy and then go crazy with them.  I expect that GW is probably going to take the ideas of cave-dwelling critters and fungus and just go nuts with it for a full Moonclan book.

Give it to me!!!! MY BODY IS READY! 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

There is a cool funny

and

there is a childish funny suited for children’s cartoons.

this Troggoth is sadly the latter.

a mix of the Hobbit Goblin King and Stitch from Lilo & Stitch

????

You have not really looked at what GW has done with Goblins throughout the entire tenure of Warhammer Fantasy have you?  Childrens Cartoons have firmly been the domain for Goblins as far as I can remember. 

Personally, that is what I love about them.  Not every army is going to appeal to everyone.  There are lots of armies in Warhammer Fantasy and Age of Sigmar that I love and plenty that I don't.  However, even when it comes to armies that don't visually or thematically appeal to me I do appreciate that GW tries to satisfy a broad range of tastes with their game.  I appreciate that the game has armies for those who are more serious and armies that appeal to those who like the more goofy stuff.

I have been worried that when GW gets around to doing Grots for Age of Sigmar that they would lose their heavy comic cartoonyness.  As someone who has collected all things goblin (along with other armies) since the mid-90s I really want to see them retain their core sillyness but transfer into Age of Sigmar.  Ironjawz are a more serious take on orcs and an evolution of the serious & highly-martial theme of Black Orcs from Warhammer Fantasy and I appreciated how GW handled that.

In the end, I think we should simply be glad that GW is catering to a lot of different tastes while accepting that something is bound to not appeal to everyone.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1

Also don't forget that how you paint something has a huge impact on how comical or serious it can appear. Nurgle is another faction that has some comic grotesqueness to it. Paint it with very "real" colours and it can appear very sinister and twisted; whilst if you use a brighter more vibrant colour pallet it can appeal more toward that jovial edge. 

And yeah GW has had some comic stuff in it for years - Halfling Hotpot Thrower!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, LLV said:

Cmon guys, think labyrinth and dark crystal and many other Henson creations of the vein, this embodies that whimsy and AoSifies it. I think it’s great! A nice break from the grim nighthaunt!

Could not have put it better myself! This thing just oozes character and is beautifully designed. I think it is outstanding. Brilliant work and I am so excited to see the new Moonclan. :D

P.S. I think the spores on the staff are one of the rumour pictures posted on Warhammer Community.

Edited by Greyshadow
  • Like 1

Dark Crystal is most certainly having some influence - I bet I know where Tzeentch came from as  visual concept of chaos and evil. It was all born around that wonderful time of the 80s when fantasy and magic just oozed with creativity in so many areas. A testament to time that so much of what we get today is derivative or a remake! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

It really looks cartoonesque to me. Like the orticulus before the new nurgle reveal. The horticulus was the only one  so cartoonesque. lets hope this one will do so.

BTW, I have for more than 20 years the old trolls (all of them, in metal) and they look far better in my taste.

Those are some of the best GW models ever produced, assuming you're talking about the Stone trolls? They're perfect

• Like 1