The Rumour Thread

+++ Mod Hat On +++
Lets get back to Age of Sigmar Rumours.

Edit - I’ve just edited a couple of posts after the warning from @Enoby. This is because they ignored the warning and off topic. This is not the platform for such topics and let’s get back to talking about toy soldiers 😉

Edited by Gaz Taylor
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

3 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Not so much rumours as wild speculation:

The new Curseling is a nice tie in with Warhammer: TW3, do we think the Chaos Dwarves will tie in similarely? Or Valkia?

It's doubtful Valkia will since we know the next Chaos 'tome is going to be StD in Winter.

Chorfs are a possibility, but I wouldn't put money on it. Chances are the Fantasy and AoS designs will be pretty different.

• Like 1

Warhammer Plus launched on the 25th of August 2021, so it's 22 days left until year 2 of Warhammer Plus.

It would be nice if we could see some stuff for year 2, for example, a trailer for BlackTalon would be sweet.

Also some footage of Astartes 2 plz.

They show stuff about warhammer plus on wednesdays apparently, but maybe its too much to hope we'll get something today.

• Like 1

I do wonder how well Warhammer + is doing. I can't say either way, because it's not as if there's tons of AoS content to talk about on it so it'll seem quiet on our end, but it'd be interesting to know. 

Personally, I think they could be missing a trick by not allowing the subscription to make all rules available on the app. For many (especially AoS), the animations are nice but not a huge selling point (the Beareater one was good), but I think quite a few would be interested in getting all the rules "for free" because £5 for all of WH+ and every battletome (rules) sounds like a good deal. But most people only play one or two armies, so they'd only buy one or two battletomes anyway. So in the 2 years (or more) it'd take for them to get a new tome, they'd have spent £120 on those rules (+ some other perks). That's not to mention the fact that some people may buy the tome to have the physical book, or for the lore/art afterwards. And that some people may get interested in armies that they'd have otherwise ignored by learning their rules. 

I'm sure they've thought of this, but I think it's a very high perceived added value that would make a lot of people say "oh, £5 isn't too bad for all of that". The question would be how much of an impact it would have on battletome sales.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chikout said:

As much as some people are dying for spiderfang or Seraphon, I kind of hope that there are some new destruction warbands that are completely new in the way the chaos warbands were. Seeing the Unmade warband for the first time was a genuine WTF moment. I'd love to have that again. 

This is what I want for Underworlds and warcry. Explore areas of armies and cultures not touched upon in the main armies. 

What about a tribe that has been isolated since the age of myth and are the last worshippers of an ancient forgotten godbeast. 

Warcry would be perfect to release a box of grotbag scuttlers. Watch a box of 10-12 pirate goblins fly off the shelves! 

A slannesh warband that focuses on gluttony, grotesquely fat debt collectors who roam the mortal realms devouring souls to sustain slannesh. 

Dwarven alchemists with potions and bombs looking for the rarest of realm stones to fuel their experiments. 

A smaller known lumineth temple the focus on insects, would love to see some praying mantis poses. 

So many possibilities

• Like 7

2 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

Not so much rumours as wild speculation:

The new Curseling is a nice tie in with Warhammer: TW3, do we think the Chaos Dwarves will tie in similarely? Or Valkia?

I'm kind of expecting the Chaos Dwarf DLC release to herald the coming of Chaos Duardin kits. Feels like the perfect move to advertise 2 of your game systems alongside the other

The Warcry snippet is very good and I'm ready for more weirdness!!!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

More interesting related-news, GW made bank on gaming this year... mentions the Nexon game is expected 2022/23 and that leaves ~4 titles not announced yet. I am hoping 2 of them are AOS :/

https://www.pcgamer.com/games-workshop-made-pound25-million-from-videogames-last-year-and-a-dozen-more-titles-are-on-the-way/ 

Their total sold earnings went up, their actual profit margin went down slightly. Which means they sold a lot of product, but their material and manpower got more expensive for the product produced, and outstripped how much they could raise their prices. Unfortunately for us consumers, Games workshop is publicly owned, meaning they are beholden to their shareholders, and in my experience shareholders care about profit above all else. Which means GW will be pressured to raise their profit margins somehow, either by cutting costs at the expense of quality, or passing the costs onto the consumers. 

Now if GW started selling 3D sculpts of their models to the 3D printing crowd, that could be a very lucrative business. I heard Privateer Press (makers of Warmachine and Hordes) are looking into starting that next year for 4th edition. 

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Ogregut said:

This is what I want for Underworlds and warcry. Explore areas of armies and cultures not touched upon in the main armies. 

What about a tribe that has been isolated since the age of myth and are the last worshippers of an ancient forgotten godbeast. 

Warcry would be perfect to release a box of grotbag scuttlers. Watch a box of 10-12 pirate goblins fly off the shelves! 

A slannesh warband that focuses on gluttony, grotesquely fat debt collectors who roam the mortal realms devouring souls to sustain slannesh. 

Dwarven alchemists with potions and bombs looking for the rarest of realm stones to fuel their experiments. 

A smaller known lumineth temple the focus on insects, would love to see some praying mantis poses. 

So many possibilities

Id love this.

A trio of Jungle Troggoths who are covered in moss and vines and cant seem to find their way out.

A couple Ogor Maneaters who found the Starship and are decorated in Seraphon jewels and weapons.

Gits who ride around on large predatory birds that can move quickly through the dense jungle. Much like a Diatryma or Terror Bird.

77fd9a3e73ec99c9bd77fd7232550249.jpg

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 4

23 minutes ago, Gothmaug said:

Their total sold earnings went up, their actual profit margin went down slightly. Which means they sold a lot of product, but their material and manpower got more expensive for the product produced, and outstripped how much they could raise their prices. Unfortunately for us consumers, Games workshop is publicly owned, meaning they are beholden to their shareholders, and in my experience shareholders care about profit above all else. Which means GW will be pressured to raise their profit margins somehow, either by cutting costs at the expense of quality, or passing the costs onto the consumers. 

Now if GW started selling 3D sculpts of their models to the 3D printing crowd, that could be a very lucrative business. I heard Privateer Press (makers of Warmachine and Hordes) are looking into starting that next year for 4th edition. 

If PP are doing this I bet every other wargaming company will be watching closely. 

I don't know how they would get around people putting the files online for free because you know someone will as a way to stick it to the big bad company. 

There is a Facebook group that activaly encourages the sharing of files that directly copy GW models and I'm sure there are others for different companies as well. 

• Confused 1

I have not heard anything positive about Privateer Press new venture and Warmachine new edition though. It seem like it a desperation move and to reduce their market share, cut cost and layoff operation staff since they are really a shadow of their former self.

Let just say they have had a couple of very bad fiscal years and they just trying to downsize to survive.

Edited by novakai
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, novakai said:

I have not heard anything positive about Privateer Press new venture and Warmachine new edition though. It seem like it a desperation move and to reduce their market share, cut cost and layoff operation staff since they are really a shadow of their former self.

Let just say they have had a couple of very bad fiscal years and they just trying to downsize to survive.

You're right on the money, it is not some big and calculated move done to revolutionize the war gaming hobby, it is a last ditch effort to survive. In my city warmahordes died 5 Years ago and has never been brought back, 2 of the flgs i go around to don't stock it anymore and a third one i know can't sell their remaining inventory even with a 80% discount.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yep, PP will release a new edition MK IV. All old bands/characters in compendiums but the game will focus on new warbands completely designed and 3D printed. Warjacks are going to be deisgned with magnets in mind (there are some of them in each box) to change weapons and heads, let's see how this goes.

Hordes is going to be updated with new models/warbands next year, I'm really curious about them because I prefer beasts than robots.

01.png.753772f115004947cbccca7bd1da4f22.png

Btw, Sam Pearson said that there is a new "team" in GW focused on Warhammer Skirmish, it seems that they are the same people from Underworlds, Warcry and Cursed City. I'm really happy to hear that because I love this kind of stuff (<3 Malifuax). In an interview with IGN, they said something like that we are going to be surprised with the new Warcry warbands, let's cross fingers to see other non-Chaos warbands....

Btw, Wade Pryce has been promoted to lead Writter for Warhammer 40k!!! Congrats!

Edited by Beliman

25 minutes ago, novakai said:

I know it's off topic, so I'll ask if there's a video or article I can view to find out what the heck happened to Privateer and Warmahordes that it effectively killed the game (and company apparently)?

1 hour ago, Gothmaug said:

That privateer press mark 4 thing isn't them selling the STLs for people to print, they are just 3D printing them in house themselves instead of casting them in house. Even with saving on shipping costs by printing them in the country they are to be sold in they are still really expensive to produce on 3d printers however due to at scale engineering though. The cost of that means that their model pricing is pretty much the same as them casting. 

Also, STLs aren't lucrative. You can't support a big studio on that income. 

1 hour ago, Gothmaug said:

Games workshop is publicly owned, meaning they are beholden to their shareholders, and in my experience shareholders care about profit above all else.

It would be fine if GW werent a dividend company and reinvested their profits more. It's really frustrating seeing all that money that could have been spent on making an ARCANE style tv show for Warhammer instead going to shareholders. I'm seriously considering trying some social engineering and emailing the major shareholders to make a case that there is more money to be made by re-investing more of the profit back into the IP.

Edited by derpherp
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ogregut said:

If PP are doing this I bet every other wargaming company will be watching closely. 

I don't know how they would get around people putting the files online for free because you know someone will as a way to stick it to the big bad company. 

There are always people who will share and print the filed for free. They already exist, and GW won't ever get them back. BUT, there are a lot of people who own a 3D printer (myself included), that would happily support GW and pay $10-15 for the official GW Primaris marines model STL, and then be able to print them in any loadout I want. And then there are all the people who don't have access to printers, or don't want to bother with the setup, maintenance and hassle, who would rather buy standard plastic minis. I feel its three separate groups, and currently GW only caters to one of them. They're missing an entire potential revenue stream. 

With the advent of 3D printers, GW will have to do something eventually. Locally here they have become prevalent enough that a whole bunch of us now play Grimdark Futures, and its replacing 40K right now. We got sick of the rules bloat/army imbalances, so our local league shelved 40K for the time being (hopefully awaiting 10th edition) and we've been running Grimdark OnePageRules. Games are faster, seem more balanced, and we get to use our GW models and any other cool custom minis we want. So for a guy like me who likes to kitbash/customize all my minis, 3D printing has been a boon. I just wish i could print GW units as well. 

3 minutes ago, derpherp said:

That privateer press mark 4 thing isn't them selling the STLs for people to print, they are just 3D printing them in house themselves instead of casting them in house. Even with saving on shipping costs by printing them in the country they are to be sold in they are still really expensive to produce on 3d printers however due to at scale engineering. The cost of that means that their model pricing is pretty much the same as them casting. 

Aww darn, I was hoping to Print a few warjacks. I really enjoy the aesthetic, especially Khador. 

I don't know what the future for GW is. I love their products, but the price of late has pushed me away from buying much in the way of new stuff. That's been a boon for my pile of shame, I've gotten two 3000pt AoS armies painted in the last year. I'd really like to buy 40 more zombies for my Soulblight army, but at $120 for 230 points of zombies ...well ouch! AND when I compare it to my other options : $10 for 40 from my 3d Printer (8$ multi-pose STL file and $2 in resin), or buying a box of zombies from Mantic Games for $32, I just can't justify the GW price nowadays. If I played at a GW store that would be different, but our local league is all garages and local gaming stores, and 3d printed proxies have become dirt common. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

I know it's off topic, so I'll ask if there's a video or article I can view to find out what the heck happened to Privateer and Warmahordes that it effectively killed the game (and company apparently)?

Oh boy strap-in, my friend went from Warmahorde champion to “kick em while they’re down” about this:

”> At the core of it all, two assumptions were made by Privateer Press.
> -GW, the 800 lb gorilla of the tabletop hobby, would continue to make mistakes that any other company would find fatal.
> -Warmahordes players were loyal, honest, and sporting.

> Both assumptions were wrong, but combined in ways that led to the current state of affairs.

> -Mk3 playtesting was phoned in; too small and incestuous of a testing body, no attention paid to feedback, and no blind testing.
> -PP then lied about it. In print.
> -The toxic competitives, who had already been driving newcomers away with aggressive and smirking gatekeeping, turned on PP when it became apparent that Mk3 was all of the things >>78965477 mentioned.

> Then GW woke up from a decade of douchy slumber and started making less douchy decisions, announcements, and products. The comparisons were swift and sadly accurate: PP was actually worse wrt its players than GW.

> In case you haven't been paying attention, that's *remarkable*.

> There is a huge laundry list of what went wrong, and I was there from beginning to end.
> >end of Mk2 the game was just past it's peak, still insanely popular and slowing down only because of bloat and rumors of 40k rules
> >Newest edition mk3 released, instead of breathing new life into the game it made it riddled with dozens of broken rules interactions, bad new starter kits, some collections are made worthless overnight, and the broken meta lists just changed hands
> >after months most bugs are fixed and balance patches are put out, but irreparable damage has been done to the community's faith in PP and the game hemorrhages players fast to new 40k edition or just quitting tabletop full stop
> >game and community are seen as obnoxiously competitive and new players just aren't coming in to make up for the old guard leaving
> >theme forces are reimplemented into the game, but are only available for a few factions
> >mk3 was allegedly designed with theme lists being the de facto way to play, but the first theme lists didn't come out for months, and each faction only got one to start with
> >if you had a good theme list, you were suddenly one of the best factions in the game, if you didn't you were ****** out of luck

> >theme forces slowly roll out, closing the power gap between most factions
> >while factions became more balanced, players found that their old collections didn't fit the new standard and had to buy hundreds of dollars to be able to play in the restricted but mandatory theme lists
> >more players keep leaving instead of keeping up with a game that was starting to feel like a pay to win scheme
> >PP rolls out 'CID', a playtesting forums where all new rules are essentially thrown to the community to essentially do the devs job for them
> >LGS games become even more toxic as players are either playtesting a version of the game that doesn't exist yet or are only interested in games of 'practice' for the next tournament
> >CID is still seen as a massive success, despite killing the mystique and hype of future releases and making the game feel more unfinished than ever
> >certain theme forces are given makeovers in entire CIDs, and an entire minifaction was injected into your army overnight that was almost certainly too good not to spend hundreds of dollars on the day it released
> >even more players become disillusioned with the game, not interested in keeping up with the rat race of what is becoming one of the most expensive miniature games in the market if you even just want to not get curbstomped by the angry hive of waac players in their communities
> >said waacfags become more insular and more cliquey, certain strongholds pop up across NA where the game holds strong
> >what used to be a worldwide phenomenon had degraded to a handful of gangs vying to be the guys everyone talks to to figure out how to be good at the game

Privateer Press are a shining example of what Not to do as a hobby business. 

even this new edition is rocky as they’re making more wrong moves with cheap 3D printing that’ll cost newbies $200 to get in and another $175 for expansion while the PR marketing is atrocious by telling people not to Panic(which of course causes the opposite)

1 hour ago, novakai said:

Yep, recent announcements have swung between subtly saying “you guys better buy these or we’ll take your toys away.”

to outright stating if you don’t like the look of their $200 3D printed products then it’s not for you:

darthlythari:
"Please don't look too closely at the models; you might see how bad they are :( " is a hell of a press release, yo.

u/IcyShoes:
Wait where do they say that?

u/darthlythari:
"if you put a 3D printed model under a magnifying lens or photograph it and zoom in on that image, you’re going to see the individual build layers that make up the model. If you typically view your miniatures at 1000% magnification, then 3D printed models might not be for you."

Like, seriously? My photos were only 2x zoom so I could actually focus on the models. All of the lines are very visible to the naked eye. I was also able to spot them on both the arm released fresh out the bath they posted the next day after my album drop and on marg's stream by pausing at the right moments.

I strongly suggest people pop the boxes to look at the models before handing over payment. Use my photos as guides to see what you're looking for and judge if the quality is up to your own standards.”

GW should NOT be looking at anything they’re doing except as cautionary tales to avoid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 8
  • Sad 1