The Rumour Thread

2 hours ago, MitGas said:

What people say or claim or roleplay in regards to their fiction (e.g. saying the empire is right) says nothing about what they'd be like in real life when it comes down to it though. You don't see collectors of anti-establishment fighters (let's say they're fighting a fascist regime) cause havoc on the streets either, do you? And the collectors or fans might agree with their ideals. But as soon as you (or one - not talking about you in particular) think that you are right in limiting what can be seen as art because you think it propagates idea(l)s you don't like, YOU ARE THE FASCIST. Let people think for themselves. I'm absolutely of the opinion that most people are idiots and I know better what they and society needs but guess what - that is pure fascism, even if I mean it well! It doesn't matter who's thinking it - so it's good and VERY important noone (neither person or group) can decide. 

We got a nice building with an even nicer slogan on it here: "To every age its art, to every art its freedom." As long as the allegiation can't be 100% made that something is a true danger to society, I see more danger for our society from us forbidding said content.

I should have clarified a little better. I think there is nothing wrong with liking bad guys and I do not think it makes someone automatically agree with the ideology of the villainous characters or organizations. I have spent enough money on Boba Fett and Vader merchandise to prove that I can enjoy the villains in these works. I also think that typically the villains are often more compelling as characters. Heck, my favourite book is probably Blood Meridian simply because I find it to be such a chilling look at humanity's dark side.  Rather I was mentioning that many people who share the views of the bad guys often overlook the inherent critique within the works. 

I am personally not a fan of fiction that is overly didactic but then again as I mentioned in my previous post I am a huge fan of Chaos in our shared little narrative world. This was not intended as a warning against people in Stormtrooper cosplay or people playing with Spacemarines... simply it was acknowledging that there are fans that have a hard time separating their ideologies from the works they consume. This goes far beyond geek culture and is often seen in sports and business as well. 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 7

“‘THO’. The lands of Ghur are so vast and varied, that this cryptic location remains a mystery to me. As for the image itself, I can only hazard a guess as to what dangers we may yet face. For now, I shall continue my studies of both this machine and the temporal anomaly that always occupies my thoughts.“

Looks like Thondia is almost certainly it.

• Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, King Under the Mountain said:

Arguably I think the easiest to market IP would be their Old World Fantasy.  Its easy to sit general audience down and say "These are the High Elves, Dwarfs and German-lite Humans, they are the good guys and these Orcs, Evil Elves and Spiky Humans are the bad guys".  And honestly I have been dreaming of a Gotrek tv series since I first read Trollslayer way too many years ago.  

Age of Sigmar on the other hand, while i've grown to love the setting and factions, seems almost too abstract and full of backstory that it would be hard to market (at first at least). 

As fantasy is a game dead today (in terms of range) I don’t think it would be a good idea. And from someone who only tie with WFB is the Total war Warhammer series, while the game are super cool, the universe is not distinctive at first sight as AoS is.

Concerning AoS, as it is based on Norse mythology, I don’t think it is that much abstract for people to jump in.

51 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

I mean there are an absolutely terrifying number of Star Wars fans that ideologically support the Empire and First Order. Star Wars is extremely upfront about the fact that these organizations are blatantly and objectively evil. 

Warhammer fans in particular get into a strange territory of identifying with the politics of their armies. Which is really uncomfortable in a setting in which everyone is meant to be seen as the villain to everyone else. There are some fun and interesting transgressive politics at play dating back to their roots in British counterculture, steeped in a heavy dose of irony... but those parodic elements have begun to erode as more and more people have become invested in the world and characters. Now there is an uncomfortable tension that exists within the narrative between the satirical take on Sci-fi/fantasy tropes and the audience that earnestly identifies with the things being satirized. The Imperium was clearly a satire of real world imperialism taken to an intergalactic scale. AOS is less outwardly problematic or one dimensional but it still makes me a touch uncomfortable that people really want to identify with their plastic army.

I will often joke that Chaos are a progressive and inclusive faction but I know they are also a uniformed army dedicated to the worship of Evil Gods wishing to undo the fabric of reality. The narrative I developed for my army is that they were religious crusaders of Sigmar who entered the Eightpoints and upon seeing the might of Chaos determined they were following the wrong God. Now they return to the mortal realms to convert the forces of order to their new faith. The army does not remotely match my politics but it does function as a critique of they way religion is often used to justify war. 

I think the people that "identify with" the darker parts of the universes (that aren't just being contrarian edgelords who enjoy getting a rise out of people) are a miniscule minority that is over-reported on because outrage and fearmongering drives traffic. But internet discussions and social media have a way of taking things out of context and destroying nuanced discussions, plus headlines like "0.01% of x are unhinged" aren't exactly going to drive clicks.

Something to keep in mind is that this is a hobby for anyone, and while some fans may genuinely identify with the worst ideologies in the settings, others may just be trying to make a joke or playing along with the parody. I have friends on the spectrum and it can be hard for them to understand the boundaries of what's acceptable or understand it's just a joke.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pseudonyme said:

As fantasy is a game dead today (in terms of range) I don’t think it would be a good idea. And from someone who only tie with WFB is the Total war Warhammer series, while the game are super cool, the universe is not distinctive at first sight as AoS is.

Concerning AoS, as it is based on Norse mythology, I don’t think it is that much abstract for people to jump in.

I agree that they probably won't, which I think is a mistake.

(also won't be dead in a few years with the Old World)

I am speaking of getting the wide audience to consume the GW IP's.  Which is obviously the long term goal that they have with their streaming service.   As someone who has worked in marketing in the past, you have to "dumb" things down for the general audience.  Things like good vs evil is easy to sell for example.  Age of Sigmar with its backstory of the Old World, its crazy magic rules, dozen or so gods and vast realms would be a tough pill for people who's "highest" amount of fantasy they have watched is the Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones.   

Now I would absolutely love to be proven wrong honestly.  If in a few years I find myself watching a series about a Kharadron Crew sailing the skys of Chamon or one about a group of Witch Hunters fighting the undead in Shyish, I will be the happiest long beard this side of the End Times. 

Edited by King Under the Mountain

Well Thondia it is!! Which means the runes for NDIA are still to go, bringing us up to Thursday, then perhaps a break on Friday or the article states the machine malfunctions or gives the user visions then breaks leading to the full reveal on Saturday!!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, EnumaEilish said:

“‘THO’. The lands of Ghur are so vast and varied, that this cryptic location remains a mystery to me. As for the image itself, I can only hazard a guess as to what dangers we may yet face. For now, I shall continue my studies of both this machine and the temporal anomaly that always occupies my thoughts.“

Looks like Thondia is almost certainly it.

can anybody explain to my dense skul lwhat thondia is? 

4 minutes ago, Feii said:

can anybody explain to my dense skul lwhat thondia is? 

A continent* in Ghur.

Region damn.

You can also see the Morruk Hills in Thondia close to Excelsis.

And lots and lots of Mawpaths.

Edited by KingBrodd

1 hour ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Considering the animations that've been pulled down have both posted very similar statements and how much the Astartes creator was making off Patreon EUR 23,291.02 ((£20,000 )monthly) with the creative freedom that brings (GW isn't exactly known for it's high salaries), it's not unreasonable to assume GW aren't just 'trying to nurture talent' and especially when their being taken down should coincide with a Warhammer-only streaming service. 

It's not as if GW don't have a history of sending lawyers after people now is it?

It's funny you should call me priggish considering you were pulling the usual condescending attitude towards people who don't gobble up The New Thing, but given how pervasive that attitude is here I can't be too surprised to see it.

them taking doown everybody's patreons is such a d*ck move. It just shows your hand how you are scared of people being able to not be 100% chained to you lol. 

39 minutes ago, Aeryenn said:

It might be the time that we need to jump between those services. You know, May with netflix, cancel, June with Hbo Max, cancel, July with Warhammer+...

That's what I do, can't watch everything at once. 

Best thing I did was ditch the TV licence, I don't miss live TV or the BBC at all. Streaming services are cheaper and have better content and YouTube has great content. 

2 hours ago, Nos said:

Thing is though, re the Sattire thing- I think this is likely to be the biggest issue. A license without clear goodies and baddies is unlikely to appeal on the aforementioned scale. A media empire based around fictions in which *all* protagonists are at best pretty much irredeemable and at worst existentially appaling and awful is not just going to be challenging, its likely to come across as boring.

The closest analogue to something like that which has succeeded is Game of Thrones. But while it was excessivley and expertly morally grey, the reality of life in Westeros would be a positive Nirvana for the subjects of the Imperium.

settings without a redeemable hero or faction will be extremely boring because there are zero stakes in it. let's take AOS for example-- COS have their own set of problems but are still a multiracial faction based on keeping each other safe against Chaos. If they were a fantasy Imperium, why would I care if Kragnos/Gordrakk break into Excelsis and kill everyone? I wouldn't, because they're both equally bad. Sure it'd suck some innocent civilians died, but overall those stakes do not come remotely close to how AOS actually is.

As for Game of Thrones, I know people hold it up as the pinnacle of "everyone is bad" but... the Starks are pretty clearly the honorable protagonists that you're drawn to rooting for. What is GOT without Sansa, Robb, Brann, and Arya? Heck even Jon doesn't let the Knight's Watch make him an irredeemable you-know-what

• Like 4

I'm feeling a bit rare about the "new orks" now, let me explain without asking...

Ironjawz and greenskinz are big, brutality, tough, big weapons, big armour and savage mounts.

Gloomspite are tiny and a lot, they are fast, they have spiders, grots, venoms, mushrooms, moon buff and debuff and big trolls for more resistance.

So this new guys I thought it would be more intelligent and go for an armored and technology army with crazy wagons or catapults and so. Perhaps ironjawz and gloomspite are not a ranged army. And when I read the "they commerce with chaos dwarfs" I thought that was a clue. But for the weapon on the rumour and the trailer I dont see that thing... 

Every army has to have lines of course, we will see, but if this new orks come without guns and it's only new skin with new armors and new melee weapons... meh.

Next week kragnos. No boxes

Edited by Hoseman
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

so here's the area Thondia seems to represent... I would hazard to say this is extremely good news for ogor fans t oo this year. Interestingly though, there are no clear signs of swampland?image.png.4f9234f9197ec5c8fea9ef6cf99c0d4c.png

Just to the lower right of this though are the Morruk Hills.

But yes hopefully Ogors get the lions share this Edition!!

Edited by KingBrodd
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

so here's the area Thondia seems to represent... I would hazard to say this is extremely good news for ogor fans t oo this year. Interestingly though, there are no clear signs of swampland?image.png.4f9234f9197ec5c8fea9ef6cf99c0d4c.png

„The Drench“ sounds rather damp.

• Like 3

The new rumor engines show a lot of angular shapes. The axe, the hook and the pommel of the club/grenade alle have this design cue. The great thing about new armies is they are designed so cohesively.

the Thondia also has the thunderscorn peaks. Maybe the dragon ogors will get expanded too. 

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2