The Rumour Thread

39 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

Dark Harvest is really good. A very solid read, that gets extremely creepy and perfectly expresses how dangerous sylvaneth can be. I listened to the audio book, and while I enjoyed it I wasn't massively keen on the performance. The chap who read it didn't do as good a job as some of the voice actors BL have used.

I'd second this — it's one of the best things I've read from BL, really enjoyed it!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/07/27/the-aelven-pantheon/

Nothing new but they point out to Malerion doing no-good and the Khainite warband: “We’ll have to wait and see to find out – but, perhaps, not for long. 

Perhaps, not for long. So maybe the Khainite Warband will arrive in August/September with the Lumineth?

32 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/07/27/the-aelven-pantheon/

Nothing new but they point out to Malerion doing no-good and the Khainite warband: “We’ll have to wait and see to find out – but, perhaps, not for long. 

I am loving the lore and development of the Aelven pantheon. I really hope it is building to something huge. Personally I would like Malerion to be seduced/manipulated by Slaanesh but I also like the idea of them developing their own Grand Alliance.

I hope that one day they will better develop the other Gods outside of the Aelves, Sigmar and Nagash.

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, PraetorDragoon said:

Is this foreshadowing that Tyrion will get Widowmaker back and leads some Khanites? Khanite Realmlords?

I think was more a pun, they do often recall back to the old world, with no real double meaning 

Edited by alghero81
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Neverchosen said:

I am loving the lore and development of the Aelven pantheon. I really hope it is building to something huge. Personally I would like Malerion to be seduced/manipulated by Slaanesh but I also like the idea of them developing their own Grand Alliance.

I hope that one day they will better develop the other Gods outside of the Aelves, Sigmar and Nagash.

I'd love to see the Duardin gods and Gorkamorka to get more developed.

Edited by KingBrodd
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mutton said:

I'd like to see Morathi and Malerion join an uneasy alliance to form a single (more complete) faction.

I have speculated on this a fair number of times, but it feels like the various Aelf factions have been designed in such a way as to allow the armies to be combined into soup armies. Lumineth and Idoneth have an uneasy relationship as both were created by Teclis, admittedly this is the hardest to combine from a lore perspective but would lead to truly awesome reimagining of High Elves. Next the Kurnothi and Sylvaneth would make perfect sense together and could be the basis of a reimagined Wood Elf faction. Finally Malerion and Morathi can of course be brought together as you pointed out and create a new version of Dark Elves. I also love that within each of these possible alliances there is a high degree of strain and tension.

I think releasing them as separate armies with their own unique lore was a really great way to develop the factions and see if they could stand alone but I also think that the ability to combine them in the future was a great insurance policy so that they could support the army and player with new rules but not have to commit to the faction if sales were not great. But I am a huge fan of how soup factions have been handled this edition, as they allow you to use the models that you like but promote synergies that make focusing on subfactions more rewarding. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KingBrodd said:

How would you like to see these Gods develop?

Personally I think it would be cool if Grimnir returned and left Order in favour of Destruction and worked towards overthrowing Gorkamorka. Two rival Gods of destruction battling eternally alongside their followers only caring for battle. I think it would be suitably epic and very interesting. It would also help to better define these two Gods in an interesting way. There is a lot of animosity between Fyreslayers and Greenskins, so it would make Ogors and Gargants the middle-ground between the two factions and give them a more distinct place amongst the destruction factions. Also because Fyreslayers are mercenaries switching their grand allegiance would hopefully not directly impact any order armies using them as allies.

I would like Grungni to remain in an alliance with Sigmar. I feel like Sigmar currently has very few remaining friends.

Edited by Neverchosen

talking of how the Aelven factions mesh together I kind of mentioned this before but I've been thinking about how all the factions play together and what I'd love to see next edition (or whenever) is essentially a refinement of that multi-player matrix in the new GHB adapted for normal games.

and instead of just a list of allies that you can take 20% of whatever there's a sliding scale, of 3 or 4 tiers, tied to how "friendly" the factions are.

so for example...

Daughters of Khaine and Malerion's faction or Lumineth and Idoneth are ranked best friends forever and you could take say something like 30- 40% of them as allies and they synergise better.

Keep it pretty tight and thematic and it would really act as a boost to those factions with smaller model counts. 

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 1

12 minutes ago, JPjr said:

talking of how the Aelven factions mesh together I kind of mentioned this before but I've been thinking about how all the factions play together and what I'd love to see next edition (or whenever) is essentially a refinement of that multi-player matrix in the new GHB adapted for normal games.

and instead of just a list of allies that you can take 20% of whatever there's a sliding scale, of 3 or 4 tiers, tied to how "friendly" the factions are.

so for example...

Daughters of Khaine and Malerion's faction or Lumineth and Idoneth are ranked best friends forever and you could take say something like 30- 40% of them as allies and they synergise better.

Keep it pretty tight and thematic and it would really act as a boost to those factions with smaller model counts. 

I have really enjoyed the manner in which Cities of Sigmar can take certain allies (Stormcast, Sylvaneth and KO) as a portion of their army as I find it clearer than point percentages. But I think that this sliding scale effect applied to that would make that rule much more attractive and fun. So for example: Slaves to Darkness can ally in maybe 1:1 for which ever mark they choose allowing an even split between their units and a God specific faction and vice versa. But conversely if you tried to include Blades of Khorne and Hedonists of Slaanesh it might result in like a 1:10?

I chose this specific example as it would alter the relationship of bringing Slaves to Darkness into God Specific factions by making them maximum 50 percent of the army thus giving players more incentive to play them in Slaves to Darkness.

Edited by Neverchosen

I lowkey (highkey) wish Malerion comes out with his dark elves and they happen to be Chaos, rather than the "we were bad but now we're good" meme-style of Morathi and daughters. You don't even need to make them allies per se to the Chaos God armies, just like how Skaven really isn't allied with them. A darker mirror to the Lumineth, and perhaps a more interesting take than "more elves for Order, but this time edgier."

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

25 minutes ago, Jymmy said:

Taking into account that Teclis considers the Deepkin to be a failed experiment and would prefer to see them destroyed I would say that an alliance between them and the Lumineth would be a bit complicated.

Yet they are the only faction that can ally lumineth.

On malerion and the other gods. Part of me wants to see the evil side of order more delved into. Yet I also think that its somewhat more fleshing the world if some factions arent represented on the board via an army as there are more ways to power then military might, but I recognize that the IP is mostly limited to the wargame and some might not be happy(both designers and fans) being relegated to background. Warcry and underworld give them some space for that but the ambiguity and size of the wider setting can make factions in that game seem like a specific time and place rather then a part of a wider background. which I personally feel is a good thing as I've seen WAAAY more creativity in this community then I've seen in the last 20 years of 40k and WHFB

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Jymmy said:

Taking into account that Teclis considers the Deepkin to be a failed experiment and would prefer to see them destroyed I would say that an alliance between them and the Lumineth would be a bit complicated.

As @Evangelist of Cinders points out the Idoneth are strangely the Lumineth's only ally in game. I agree that it would be a hard one to describe in lore. However, I think that Teclis himself seems to be the biggest hinderance. I think it would be interesting if his inclusion in a list closed off using Idoneth from being used in the army.

1 hour ago, Neverchosen said:

As @Evangelist of Cinders points out the Idoneth are strangely the Lumineth's only ally in game. I agree that it would be a hard one to describe in lore. However, I think that Teclis himself seems to be the biggest hinderance. I think it would be interesting if his inclusion in a list closed off using Idoneth from being used in the army.

It makes kind of sense, Lumineth are open to ally with the Idoneth, Teclis might feel remorse (and he is still their creator) and there is not bad blood between them and Tyrion at all. The Idoneth on the other hand won't generally ally with the Lumineth (Idoneth can't take Lumenth as allies right now). So generally you could say the Idoneth still refuse to take help from the Lumineth, but are some enclaves which are open to help out Lumineth if invited by the Lumineth to do so under certain circumstances. That would fit also with the "lore friendly" multiplayer ally table they just released in the GHB2020 where Lumineth and Idoneth can only ally as a "desperate coalition". 

@Gistradagis I really doubt the Malerion's faction will turn out to be Chaos aligned. It wouldn't make much sense with the history of his character. It looks like he used his share of Aelven souls though to make Shadow Demons out of them, so they might look similar to a Chaos faction. 

I find the DoK as they are more interesting than if they just would make another Chaos faction out of them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

One of the things I love about the Order factions and the direction that they're taking them is that you could tell a complete story - heroes, villains, neutral parties, the works - without ever leaving the Grand Alliance. Imagine a narrative campaign taking place in and around one city filled with and surrounded by all the different members of Order, each with their own agendas and goals. The intrigue, infighting, backstabbing, dealing, double-dealing, and compromising going on behind the scenes, all while trying to avid the watchful eyes of the Shadowblades and Stormcast.  You can't really do that with any of the other Grand Alliances (maybe Death, but everything is so Nagash-focused that it limits a lot of the nuance.)

It would be exciting to see how Malerion's faction further complicates the growing jumble of divergent goals within Order. But what's his angle? What's he trying to accomplish?  Morathi seems to have the "become more/most powerful deity" shtick covered. Is it possible that he wants to subjugate all of the aelves? It would certainly be an ambitious goal, and might explain why he's been pulling shenanigans with Teclis's boys.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

That would be great.

If they did that through a massive campaign, that not only told the story and give new rules to ork and duardin players, but also include a huge ton of information about the skaven (like for example certain clans in the greater clans that are on the top of the foodchain), I think we’d have ourself one of the greatest campaign books ever.

• LOVE IT! 1

3 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

That would be great.

If they did that through a massive campaign, that not only told the story and give new rules to ork and duardin players, but also include a huge ton of information about the skaven (like for example certain clans in the greater clans that are on the top of the foodchain), I think we’d have ourself one of the greatest campaign books ever.

Perhaps a Classic Campaign book introducing Grungnis Duardin taking back their Mountain Holds from the Skaven. A great way to introduce a new Faction and a way to update some Skaven models. Would also serve as Skavens 3.0 Battletome debut.

37 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

Perhaps a Classic Campaign book introducing Grungnis Duardin taking back their Mountain Holds from the Skaven. A great way to introduce a new Faction and a way to update some Skaven models. Would also serve as Skavens 3.0 Battletome debut.

Anything that updates the skaven model range, is a welcome chance.

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Anything that updates the skaven model range, is a welcome chance.

Well hopefully a new Warcry Warband and Underworlds team may be on the way, other than that I would be absolutely shocked if in 3.0 they didnt get updates or new models at the least.