The Rumour Thread

On 12/29/2019 at 9:02 PM, Aryann said:

Well, if "woods" are all that makes them connected to Sylvaneth then there are other examples of unnecessary armies. We don't need anything naval or airborne as those positions are already covered by Idoneth Deepkin and Kharadron Overlords. I think there are a lot of redundant undeads since Legions of Nagash... We can go with this list.

Kurnothi might be entirely different army both in terms of gameplay and design. Gameplay being fast and missile focused and as we saw from the Warband mix of animals and elves rather than trees and elves.

White dwarf said they were a type of sylvaneth. (could be a misinterpretation on their part) 

Kurnothi and some sylvaneth both worship kurnoth who is highly linked to all things sylvaneth. 

Orruk warclans, beasts of chaos, etc, show GW recombining many old world factions that were slipt up, thus wanderers and the highly related kurnothi have a good chance of being folded into sylvaneth (especially as they are closer in current lore then ironjaws were to binesplitters were pre warclans) 

Not saying they will be a sylvaneth subfaction but it's a very likely possibility especially with the shear number of order tomes compared to the other grand alliances. 

Edited by Turin Turambar
bad spelling

16 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

Frigates as battleline is interesting, but they are a bit on the spendy side (money and points wise) for battleline. I also don't think that suits the role of frigates that much. Gunhaulers would make more sense here.

False.  Frigates have always had the role of "ships of the line", and in the lore have been described as the ubiquitous workhorse of the KO fleet 

Gunhaulers are flying artillery pieces, hired out to support the main fleet.  Battle Line is completely inappropriate for them, aside from perhaps a few themed battalions or sky ports.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, HollowHills said:

Words meanings change based on context and common usage ...

In games something you have to include which restricts your choice is frequently referred to as a "tax". It communicates the meaning well enough as a cost you have to pay out of your points budget. 

I get the common usage part. 

But, two things.

1. Things only become common usage when we allow them to. Using my lunch line/commute example, people absolutely should work to prevent that from taking hold if it starts getting used. It's just plain inaccurate and should be nipped in the bud.

(Edit: A lot of people misuse "then" when they are trying to say "than." Should we not try to fix that just because it's common? (As in "I will do this then that" versus "I will do this rather than that.") Popularity does not dictate accuracy.)

2. Words do have inherent positivity or negativity in many cases. "Tax" is a negative word, almost universally. Ok, so, fine. People want to use a short cut to refer to the idea of "minimum number of battleline units." I'm not a fan of it, but ok. Can't we at least find a word that does not - the instant it is typed or spoken - create a negative starting point for the conversation? Many people, myself included, actually see the requirement of battleline units as a positive! It helps armies look like armies and look like they represent the narrative of their force. It's just a bad starting point to say, in effect, to all readers/listeners that we should assume battleline requirements are a negative, and when we refer to them as a tax, that's precisely what we are doing.

Make sense?

It's sort of about the annoyance of short cuts, but really, in thus case, it's mostly about using a flat out loaded (and wrong) word as the starting point of what should be an neutral, friendly, and measured conversation.

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 2

For many armies however, their battleline IS a tax. They are bad units you have to take a minimum of before you get to the good ones.

Its fine to have preferences  but youre tilting at windmills here. "Core tax" and "Troops tax" were a thing in 40k and WHFB parlance for a looooong time. Have heard them since i first started playing the game 15 years or so ago, and they werent new phrases then. This isnt so much a "dont let the language change!" thing as much as it is "the language changed a long time ago and im still grumpy about it."

Which is fine, being grumpy is a tradition among wargamers. But its a bit silly to expect the phrase will change now, particularly when its often quite accurate in what it describes.

5 minutes ago, Deepkin said:

For many armies however, their battleline IS a tax. They are bad units you have to take a minimum of before you get to the good ones.

... quite accurate in what it describes

That's not a tax, which is the point. It's not accurate and it starts the conversation from an arbitrarily negative position

You spend the points, you get the unit. You get something for what you pay.

Also, good is subjective and/or relative.

Here's a thought. If people want to use a cute or clever term that is evocative, not just "required battleline units" and has established usage in the culture beyond its original meaning, I'll suggest referring to units you must include that you, personally, don't want to include as "my specific army-build's albatross."

Edited by Sleboda

It's only Tuesday they might reveal that on Thursday. Don't forget there's a good chunk of the week still go to before they go up for pre-order and then a whole week before they actually go on sale. So there's plenty of time for GW to get a few articles on both out into the wilds. 

46 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

That's not a tax, which is the point. It's not accurate and it starts the conversation from an arbitrarily negative position

You spend the points, you get the unit. You get something for what you pay.

Also, good is subjective and/or relative.

Here's a thought. If people want to use a cute or clever term that is evocative, not just "required battleline units" and has established usage in the culture beyond its original meaning, I'll suggest referring to units you must include that you, personally, don't want to include as "my specific army-build's albatross."

You must be life of the party when you aren't on forums correcting people.

38 minutes ago, Deepkin said:

I'll keep calling them a tax, thanks

LOL as will the rest of the non neck beard world. Hopefully we will have some more Hysh Aelves soon as I can only play with my eels so much haha.  

• Haha 1

The sword scabbard looks beautiful.

I am happy if it belongs to:

• A humanesque knight.
  • A light Aelf.
  • A vampire (preferable something linked to Abhorash)

While I also have a small range of Blood Angels and other space marines, I really hope that it has nothing to do with 40K.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Overread said:

It's only Tuesday they might reveal that on Thursday. Don't forget there's a good chunk of the week still go to before they go up for pre-order and then a whole week before they actually go on sale. So there's plenty of time for GW to get a few articles on both out into the wilds. 

I mean, yeah, I didn't mean to imply that I think it wasn't going to come out at all if it wasn't out today.  Just normally they have the faction focus up the first two days, then dive into paint schemes/lore/spells and other stuff the rest of the week. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Laststand said:

Realistically wont this just be an extension of legends into a book with some narrative campaigns and things?

Nah it will have new models.  They wouldn't have hyped it as something that will take years otherwise. Plus not much money in a game that relies on old kits. There may be some overlap but I assume it will work like HH with lots of forge world units. It may even be a game that uses smaller scale minis like titanicus. 

15 minutes ago, Laststand said:

Realistically wont this just be an extension of legends into a book with some narrative campaigns and things?

I imagine it will be a Horus Heresy style game with different rules, possibly new kits from FW.

Personally, I hope for a Mordheim revival (but then again, Mordheim is basically perfect as-is with the fan mods available, so its perhaps unnecessary) but since they did the "square bases are back!" thing, I imagine it will be a revival of the rank-n-flank alongside the Old World. 

Considering the insane popularity of Total Warhammer, large-scale Old World game sounds most likely to me.

I doubt a Titanicus-scale game only because there are far fewer Titan-esque monsters in the Old World and the I doubt it would pull in the same numbers as a full-on WHFB revival parallel to AoS.