The Rumour Thread

So the Warhammer Underworlds website has been updated with some Beastgrave stuff: https://warhammerunderworlds.com/

The rules changes are largely covered in this WHC article but the setting and warband sections are probably of interest for the background. The Beastgrave is essentially a giant carniverous mountain that acts like a psychic angler fish, planting dreams and visions of treasure in mortals' minds to lure them into its caves, where it will consume them. This also has the effect of warping its victims' minds into more bestial forms, more aggressive and compulsive about being predators or prey.

The mountain was then affected by the Necroquake, which has basically intermingled it with the city of Shadespire so they all but occupy the same physical space. Phil Kelly uses the analogy of a cracked mirror with this mountain behind it and the cracks being cracks in reality, hence those trapped in Shadespire accidentally slipping in and out of the Beastgrave. He also mentions the possibility that those warbands are somehow spreading the curse of Shadespire to those they fight, so the Kurnothi and beastmen are now just as much subject to the weird reality-mirroring/warping/resurrection nonsense that Nagash de-facto inflicted on those S1 warbands.

I would also note that Kelly did call the Kurnothi 'aelves', though given everything else I suspect we're talking about a pretty broad spectrum of what could roughly be considered an aelf, with your basic Azyrite dudes on one end and tree-revenants or whatever on the far end.

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

So the Warhammer Underworlds website has been updated with some Beastgrave stuff: https://warhammerunderworlds.com/

The rules changes are largely covered in this WHC article but the setting and warband sections are probably of interest for the background. The Beastgave is essentially a giant carniverous mountain that acts like a psychic angler fish, planting dreams and visions of treasure in mortals' minds to lure them into its caves, where it will consume them. This also has the effect of warping its victims' minds into more bestial forms, more aggressive and compulsive about being predators or prey.

The mountain was then affected by the Necroquake, which has basically intermingled it with the city Shadespire so they all but occupy the same physical space. Phil Kelly uses the analogy of a cracked mirror with this mountain behind it and the cracks being cracks in reality, hence those trapped in Shadespire accidentally slipping in and out of the Beastgrave. He also mentions the possibility that those warbands are somehow spreading the curse of Shadespire to those they fight, so the Kurnothi and beastmen are now just as much subject to the weird reality-mirroring/warping/resurrection nonsense that Nagash de-facto inflicted on those S1 warbands.

I would also note that Kelly did call the Kurnothi 'aelves', though given everything else I suspect we're talking about a pretty broad spectrum of what could roughly be considered an aelf, with your basic Azyrite dudes on one end and tree-revenants or whatever on the far end.

know this is  intresting as beastgrave and shadespire being single coexiting super dungeon with couple more locations and you got nice solid RPG adventure for nice camping with friends

• Like 2

@sandlemad thank you for mentioning this - yeah the Aelf part was odd to listen to, almost as if Phil Kelly did not want to call them "Aelves". In the Lore video the part about the Kurnothi is at the 3min mark. 
When he talks about Skaeth's Wild Hunt he mumbles a bit and says something like "(...) who are Aelves .... of the Kurnoth persuasion which means they are Hunters...(...)"
So I am not a native english speaker and a bit puzzled on what was exactly said. Does he really say "Kurnoth persuasion" ? Which would mean something like a spiritual following? Forgive my ignorance I am just intrigued about what Kurnothi really are. Spirits like Tree Revenants or something else. Would be glad if someone could help me out :)

Yes, he said roughly "They are Aelves...*mumble* Aelves of the Kurnoth persuasion".

In context I think he was just trying to say they are basically Aelves that worship Kurnoth, as opposed to those who worship Teclis or Malerion or Khaine or what have you.  Even in the old world Kurnous was a prominent part of the Elven pantheon, so there isn't anything particularly strange about that.

The Beastgrave website also provides this additional flavor text on the Kurnothi:

'Skaeth and his companions are worshippers of Kurnoth, the god of the hunt and fallen ally of Alarielle, the goddess of life. They are beings both wild and fey, spiritual avatars of nature in its most primal and aggressive state. Yet nobility tempers the savagery of the Kurnothi. They prey solely upon those bringers of ruin who desecrate the natural order, mercilessly hounding the footsteps of their foes and cutting them down to remove their taint from the Mortal Realms. Skaeth’s band seek to restore all that was ruined during the Age of Chaos, and are merciless in that goal. "

Which doesn't help much at all. I would just call them Ambiguously Aelven, Fey creatures, myself.  Not quite literal Aelves, not quite spirits.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

So I am not a native english speaker and a bit puzzled on what was exactly said. Does he really say "Kurnoth persuasion" ? Which would mean something like a spiritual following? Forgive my ignorance I am just intrigued about what Kurnothi really are. Spirits like Tree Revenants or something else. Would be glad if someone could help me out :)

That is what he said, yeah. Very generally 'of the X persuasion' just means of that kind or type. It's a casual way of referring to them so it's pretty broad and not specific: "Kurnoth type elves".

They definitely worship Kurnoth - " Skaeth and his companions are worshippers of Kurnoth, the god of the hunt and fallen ally of Alarielle, the goddess of life." - but then they're also referred to as "spiritual avatars of nature in its most primal and aggressive state". So I don't think we can safely say if they're spirits like Tree Reveants and other sylvaneth or more like the Scathborn of the Daughters of Khaine, elf souls which have been reincarnated into strange new forms.

I think the NDA on Beastgrave will be finished when it goes on preorder this weekend so we might get a bit more information from people who received review copies.

• Thanks 1

Just now, michu said:

Either Kurnothi will be just an Sylvaneth expansion or that warscroll ability is a temporary solution until Kurnothi will get an army.

It's more likely that Kurnothi might just be replacing what the old wood elves used to be. Ergo instead of being a full army they'll be the elf half of the tree/woods army. Curious if GW takes that direction when they've already split wanderers off and could have lore brought them back into the fold having had the Everqueen awaken from the hiding etc...

10 minutes ago, michu said:

Look's like Grashnak's might be the first ever Underworlds warband anyone would consider using outside of in a friendly or narrative game. 140 points for a Bray-Shaman with ablative wounds/Heardstone sacrifices, and an amazing +1 to hit debuff that affects any attacking units, they're a no-brainer for Beastmen, and something worth considering allying into most other Chaos armies.

WHUWNewWarbandsinAos-Sep20-Savagebolt3rd

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Look's like Grashnak's might be the first ever Underworlds warband anyone would consider using outside of in a friendly or narrative game. 140 points for a Bray-Shaman with ablative wounds/Heardstone sacrifices, and an amazing +1 to hit debuff that affects any attacking units, they're a no-brainer for Beastmen, and something worth considering allying into most other Chaos armies.

WHUWNewWarbandsinAos-Sep20-Savagebolt3rd

The age of the Blight Kings has come...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Seems pretty specific that these Kurnothi are just Oakenbrow-affiliated though. I suppose if we take the Moonclan example as precedent - where the keywords refelcted the upcoming release - the amount of Sylvaneth-connected stuff with them suggests that the Kurnothi aren't due for imminent release as a larger faction. Not the biggest surprise considering we know of at least four battletomes due before then.

EDIT: perhaps doubly weird considering Heartwood is supposed to be the glade that's all about Kurnoth.

Edited by sandlemad

That explains their lamentiri. But I think that Kurnothi being part of Sylvaneth is not a bad thing  - how much design space Tree-aelves have? Now we know what kind of direction Sylvaneth can take later. Tree-aelves branch out ( yep ) into Beast-aelves.

EDIT: But that means Wanderers players will be disappointed. They thought Kurnothi could merge with their army...

Edited by michu

39 minutes ago, michu said:

Either Kurnothi will be just an Sylvaneth expansion or that warscroll ability is a temporary solution until Kurnothi will get an army.

My money is on temporary solution, especially when even the community article sounds kinda hand wavy about it. They can't have the Wanderer keyword or they'll be part of Cities of Sigmar, and even Wanderers probably will have a different keyword anyway if they are included in a future Kurnothi tome.

I do expect they'll be allied closely with Sylvaneth when they come out, but not in the same battletome, for now.

Edited by madmac

I don't think Kurnothi are an army or ever will be. We already have a lot of aelves/aelves looking armies - Sylvaneth, DoK, Deepkin + Free Cities stuff and we know Light Aelves and Malerion Aelves are coming sooner or later. I don't think that every warband needs to expanded into full faction. 

• Like 3

GW has said from the first time Kurnothi were revealed that were a first look at a new race. Whether anyone personally likes or wants them to come, it is still going to happen and has a lot more likelihood at this point than Light or Dark Aelves that up to now exists in lore snippets only.  (And I fully expect we will get those also, but there is a lot more evidence for Kurnothi, as it stands.)

I'm not a big fan of Bone Reapers, but that doesn't mean they aren't coming up for Pre-order in October. I simply don't understand this mindset of "I don't like it so it's definitely not a thing."

Edit: Seriously though, in terms of speculation, with so many confirmed battletomes coming out plus the holiday crunch (Cities, Orruks, Bone Reapers, Mawtribes, Sisters, More Marines) Kurnothi could be the next big AoS release and still 5-6 months away at this point.

Edited by madmac

So for sylvaneth you can pick between:

180 points

Ylthari with Guardians: A plain d3 damage spell equivalent to the old arcane bolt, meh  ranged bow attack, squishy melee. Ylthari has 5 wounds.

120 points

Skaeth's Wild Hunt: Spell to buff any sylvaneth melee unit with +1 wound roll, 1 crappy bow attack, 1 ok 9 inch javelin attack, squishy melee, Skaeth has 2 wounds

Edited by Zanzou

27 minutes ago, madmac said:

GW has said from the first time Kurnothi were revealed that were a first look at a new race. Whether anyone personally likes or wants them to come, it is still going to happen and has a lot more likelihood at this point than Light or Dark Aelves that up to now exists in lore snippets only.  (And I fully expect we will get those also, but there is a lot more evidence for Kurnothi, as it stands.)

I'm not a big fan of Bone Reapers, but that doesn't mean they aren't coming up for Pre-order in October. I simply don't understand this mindset of "I don't like it so it's definitely not a thing."

Edit: Seriously though, in terms of speculation, with so many confirmed battletomes coming out plus the holiday crunch (Cities, Orruks, Bone Reapers, Mawtribes, Sisters, More Marines) Kurnothi could be the next big AoS release and still 5-6 months away at this point.

agree, I think Kurnothi is going to be a new army in the near future

also there where a lot rumor engine pics that look very wood elves not that long ago with the fur cloak and glade shield

optimistically they may be the AoS Christmas release for this year once GW finish up their current slate of battletome that haven't been release yet.