The Rumour Thread

50 minutes ago, Overread said:

I think the resins will hang around if GW only updates 1 model for the range. The resins would vanish fast if they are updating more.

That said never take lore as a protection from removal. Typically whoever writes the lore isn't in manufacture/product departments and the two can be very separate with lore and writing often being behind the game at times and yet at other times ahead of the game. So its a bit of a mish mash really. 

It's a neat bit of writing though and nice to see the Ogor displaying some sense of intelligence and not just total mindless destruction. Even in the Old World ogors were seen as not the brightest, but at the same time not mindbreakingly stupid - at least for the leaders. 

Very true about departments not communicating. Suppose I hadn't considered that, even if I wasn't really hedging on the resin sticking around regardless. More in the opposite camp. Would prefer to rip the finecast off like a bandaid. If we combine the BCR plastic and gutbusters, and the rules still support Winter themed monstermash, then  I'm sold.

Also agreed on the intelligence. One of my biggest fears building up to Mawtribes, as I didn't want Ogors to just be fat orruks. Really happy for the distinction, and having the Ogors be smarter then other factions might give them credit.

3 hours ago, Shankelton said:

Very true about departments not communicating. Suppose I hadn't considered that, even if I wasn't really hedging on the resin sticking around regardless. More in the opposite camp. Would prefer to rip the finecast off like a bandaid. If we combine the BCR plastic and gutbusters, and the rules still support Winter themed monstermash, then  I'm sold.

Also agreed on the intelligence. One of my biggest fears building up to Mawtribes, as I didn't want Ogors to just be fat orruks. Really happy for the distinction, and having the Ogors be smarter then other factions might give them credit.

Give me the new Tyrant, a new Butcher, a Yhetee/Gorger dual build plastic kit, and a new Hunter w/ Sabertusks (possibly as a Beastgrave set?) and I'd be so happy and all Ogres would lose is the Maneaters and the Firebelly. I realise that list is pretty optimistic in light of GWs recent behaviour, but a man can dream right?

• Like 1

It’s exciting because once the two new destruction books are out, it’s going to be all new stuff from here on. Im praying that the next destruction faction we receive is something brand new and original, as the three big ticket races (Gitz, Orruks and Ogurs) from destruction will now be covered. I’d be very intrigued what new races or variations they could introduce to destruction. 

Just based on standard fantasy tropes, there’s a few that could work: 

- Werewolves: Fairly underrepresented in AoS (and WHFB), I think a savage werewolf faction would be awesome for destruction. Could be explained as humans who are morphed by Gorkamorka’s bestial nature. 

- Elementals: Easy to work into the faction, just have them be the savagery of the realms made manifest. 

- Insects: A huge based faction that mindlessly consumes life (think Tyranids). Probably the hardest to link into Gorkamorka, but his relationship with the spider god shows it can be done. 

4 minutes ago, AthlorianStoners said:

It’s exciting because once the two new destruction books are out, it’s going to be all new stuff from here on. Im praying that the next destruction faction we receive is something brand new and original, as the three big ticket races (Gitz, Orruks and Ogurs) from destruction will now be covered. I’d be very intrigued what new races or variations they could introduce to destruction. 

Just based on standard fantasy tropes, there’s a few that could work: 

- Werewolves: Fairly underrepresented in AoS (and WHFB), I think a savage werewolf faction would be awesome for destruction. Could be explained as humans who are morphed by Gorkamorka’s bestial nature. 

- Elementals: Easy to work into the faction, just have them be the savagery of the realms made manifest. 

- Insects: A huge based faction that mindlessly consumes life (think Tyranids). Probably the hardest to link into Gorkamorka, but his relationship with the spider god shows it can be done. 

Don't forget the Grotbag Scuttlers, I want my janky sky pirate goblins!

• Like 4

Caution about how much we can infer from the presence of Firebellies/Maneaters is definitely a good idea but I'd note that this isn't a throwaway line in a novel or short story, this is a case of those ogre units (and only those ogre units, in the context of their mercenary rules) appearing in a Forbidden Power release. Later in the week, possibly even today, we'll see a scenario built around them.

I think - and I could be wrong - this is an example of the rules/design/production guys putting out mainline expansion content, which suggests that it's more likely to be supported/part of a production schedule than not. Again, no guarantee. These mercenaries appeared in the GHB2019 but then so did the dwarf cannons and they were squatted about two months later so...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

Caution about how much we can infer from the presence of Firebellies/Maneaters is definitely a good idea but I'd note that this isn't a throwaway line in a novel or short story, this is a case of those ogre units (and only those ogre units, in the context of their mercenary rules) appearing in a Forbidden Power release. Later in the week, possibly even today, we'll see a scenario built around them.

I think - and I could be wrong - this is an example of the rules/design/production guys putting out mainline expansion content, which suggests that it's more likely to be supported/part of a production schedule than not. Again, no guarantee. These mercenaries appeared in the GHB2019 but then so did the dwarf cannons and they were squatted about two months later so...

Also, Skycutter had its own solo story in malign sorcery and it bought it just, what, a year of lifetime?

• Sad 3

I do wonder if the entire point of some of the mercenary companies was to provide a way for players to keep using those units in a variety of formats once they were discontinued.

We've actually got two examples which use of out production models: the Dwarf artillery battery, which and the mounted battalion which has to be led by a Freeguild General on Horse.

Given that there is reason to be concerned about resin Ogres, and there is every chance that regular Chaos marauders could be replaced at some point, I think that it isn't a good idea to treat any merc unit as being safe.

As has been discussed at length, the advent of Cities of Sigmar could potentially make it quite hard to use some of the discontinued models without proxying them. However anything in a merc company will still slot strait into that, and other, armies regardless of how they change the keywords.

• Like 1

The problem is if GW wants mercenaries to be mainstream then having models no one can buy is silly because how can you get a dwarf artillery gun for your mercenary force? Right now either second hand or 3rd party - ergo no profit to GW from something they are encouraging. Of course dwarves and artillery are very commonplace so we might well assume that GW will return such a model to the range "someday". 

As for lore, remember most authors will brows the GW store and previous writings for inspiration and ideas of units and models that will appear as warriors. So chances are unless they are writing a bit of work specifically commissioned about a future army; they could be a year or more behind the production curve when they write their story. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Overread said:

As for lore, remember most authors will brows the GW store and previous writings for inspiration and ideas of units and models that will appear as warriors. So chances are unless they are writing a bit of work specifically commissioned about a future army; they could be a year or more behind the production curve when they write their story. 

In this case it's not a novel or WD or similar though, it's part of the Forbidden Power release, meaning it would be synced up with the rules for the scenario that we'll see later in the week just as much as the text for battletome. It's entirely possible it was written by someone who also wears a development hat and who may have written the rules. This is one of the rare cases where it is more likely to be aligned with the production curve than not.

Doesn't mean it's a slam dunk on these kits being retained (e.g. Dekay's point about the skycutter in Malign Portents) but I think there's good reason to treat these WHC shorts/scenarios/posts as meaningfully different to other AoS stuff.

6 minutes ago, GutrotSpume said:

So Stormcast and Ogors working together. Guessing it’ll be those 2 armies in the feast of bones box

Not necessarily. If its for Forbidden Powers then chances are its purely highlighting the use of Mercenaries. Espeically since all of the 2 army boxes we've seen thus far have been armies competing against each other not working with each other. 

Just now, alghero81 said:

Any idea on the latest rumour engine? Could be anything...

To my eye it looks like the pointy end of a spear with tassles on it. Now just who would use a spear like that - elfish riders; centaurs; human cavalry etc... I'd not think anything from destruction nor chaos, perhaps something from death but not likely. So something from Order. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Overread said:

Not necessarily. If its for Forbidden Powers then chances are its purely highlighting the use of Mercenaries. Espeically since all of the 2 army boxes we've seen thus far have been armies competing against each other not working with each other. 

To my eye it looks like the pointy end of a spear with tassles on it. Now just who would use a spear like that - elfish riders; centaurs; human cavalry etc... I'd not think anything from destruction nor chaos, perhaps something from death but not likely. So something from Order. 

It could be Ogors vs Ironjawz although... of Bonesplitterz, hence the name Feast of Bones? Would also make sense considering it’s rare to see one new faction with an old faction duel box.

Yeah it looks like a spear but couldn’t ping to anything. It seems AoS but could also be Blackstone Fortress or anything else...

The other choice is GW could pair Ogres  against Bonereapers. The Tithe of bones is part of their lore so it could be a curious duelbox release. Perhaps using one old faction that isn't that popular coupled to one new faction to boost sales for both by generating casual interest in one army from the other. Of course that would likely mean more than one new ogre model otherwise it would be woefully unfair to have a whole side brand new whilst the other was just sporting one new model. 

It might also be that there is no duel box and that its simply a story connection GW is going for and nothing else. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Maybe the plastic Battlemages/Empire Wizards are being reboxed to slot into Order warbands...

That would be very dope warband. 5 wizards with different specialities running around freezing, burning, liquifying everything around them. Bolts of lightning flying through the air while one turns into a manticore. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Overread said:

It could also be a tassel for Astra Militarum Rough Riders spear.

I honestly doubt there will be this "Bone Tithe" bundle box I keep seeing brought up.

When, ever, has Games Workshop released a brand new faction directly into a discounted bundle? Looncurse came well after the grots were released, Sure, maybe we could say that such a box might come next year, but I still think its us assuming a trend will continue. Look at Terrain and endless spells. We all assumed every release would have them going forwards, but they confirmed the CoS wont have any kind of new endless spells. Why would they spoil and show off the new tyrant ages ago, when those new models were revealed generally just before the box. As they are one of the main selling points.

I staking my guess in the ground, that there will be no box set. The line about the Feast of Bones, and Pact of Bones, is just a marketing tie in as Ossiarch and the Mawtribes are releasing around the same time.

Also totally agree with @sandlemad, looks like the Ogors from the short story are just a tie in to Forbidden Power. Same thing happened with the cannons and we all thought that meant they were sticking around. I'd still wager on most, if not all Resin going Last Chance to Buy in ogors.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Shankelton said:

I honestly doubt there will be this "Bone Tithe" bundle box I keep seeing brought up.

When, ever, has Games Workshop released a brand new faction directly into a discounted bundle? Looncurse came well after the grots were released, Sure, maybe we could say that such a box might come next year, but I still think its us assuming a trend will continue. Look at Terrain and endless spells. We all assumed every release would have them going forwards, but they confirmed the CoS wont have any kind of new endless spells. Why would they spoil and show off the new tyrant ages ago, when those new models were revealed generally just before the box. As they are one of the main selling points.

I staking my guess in the ground, that there will be no box set. The line about the Feast of Bones, and Pact of Bones, is just a marketing tie in as Ossiarch and the Mawtribes are releasing around the same time.

Also totally agree with @sandlemad, looks like the Ogors from the short story are just a tie in to Forbidden Power. Same thing happened with the cannons and we all thought that meant they were sticking around. I'd still wager on most, if not all Resin going Last Chance to Buy in ogors.

They actually sometimes do, but it's more the exception than the rule. Usually they wait for a good long year before we even see a Start Collecting box. Gloomspite Gits in the Looncurse box was quite a surprise. That being said, there's also Soul Wars and Shadowspear with 100% new models in both boxes, and Nighthaunt was a brand new faction. So it's not technically impossible, but if it was to follow a similar trend, it would need a completely revamped or expanded faction. All new Ogors models, again, is not impossible, but pretty unlikely. I could also be another faction, like Seraphon or KO, who both need an update.

GW has a discount line right now with Warcry - the starting box has all discounted content in it and yet this weekend GW is going to release the models from the set on their own. Ebay is still chock full of cheaper models from split kits and likely will remain so until the core set goes off-sale. They've also still got Wrath and Rapture on sale despite releasing all the models from that onto individual sale. 

1 hour ago, Shankelton said:

When, ever, has Games Workshop released a brand new faction directly into a discounted bundle? 

They used to do what they're doing again with the new Sisters of Battle Army Box until about twelve or so years ago. Codex + the new models at a slightly discounted price and/or a limited edition model only from that box.

Edited by Clan's Cynic