The Rumour Thread

If they were to be a subfaction (like say, Fireslayers or Sylvaneth) they may not need to be complete, but I think GW's aim with them is to get them on a par with the old school armies: Light and heavy troops, light and heavy ranged, light and heavy cavalry, a form of large monster, a kind of artillery.

I think there has been no artilery release since the beginning of AoS. None of the new armies have something like that. All the armies are close combat so far(with few exceptions of archers;) )
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

Well I hope this means we'll get an updated Bloodbound tome as well (and a Khorgorath set).

Funnily enough that was my immediate hope when they said keep an eye out tomorrow.  Quite like the idea of seeing different styles of Stormcast on the table, especially if we're going to see different traits appearing :)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

It will be interesting to see if the new SCE units break their ability to deepstrike, or otherwise be exempt from the formations that do. It doesn't make sense for units that have been on the ground for quite some time.

I always thought that (bar vanguard wing) SC deployment as lightning was the 'hurled from Sigmar' start to the campaign. So, for me, I'd love these 'survivors' - those that haven't been reforged anew and hurled back - to be savvy, open to adjusting tactics and fast. I think that's maybe what we'll see.

If it's a regular scout like deployment it might feel too similar to lightning strikes. Maybe just a 'snap march' in the first hero phase or movement phase. Even better, better speed during the whole game. SC are pretty slow post deployment!

7 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

I'm not particularly concerned about rules bloat (in fact, I think there are a few more rules that should be added to the base rules or at very least matched play rules), and I love the new gryphs.

That said, I think that this is a really bad decision by GW. As most of you surely know, GW has a long history of providing heavier support for factions that are more popular (sometimes to an egregious extent). While this no doubt makes good business sense in the short term, in the long run I think there is a real risk that it will be very bad for the game. I think there are two main reasons for this:

• Seeing other factions get multiple releases before your faction gets updates really pisses players off. I know I shouldn't speak for others here, but this is why I quit WHFB just before 8th edition. I was a Wood Elf player, and I knew I wasn't going to get a lot of support. I fully expected my army book to be among the last to get redone. When 8th edition was announced though, it became clear that I wasn't going to get an update for 7th at all, and in fact many armies that had already been updated in 7th were getting 8th edition books soon after release. I felt this was such a slap in the face and it really turned me off the game. Dwarf, Aelf, and to a lesser extent Death players are no doubt looking at this announcement and slumping in their chairs a bit.
  • These sorts of releases strongly encourage power creep. If a faction is well fleshed out in the current system, then current players probably already have fully functional armies built. In order to sell the new models, they have to either look amazing or function better than existing options (preferably both). This impetus is less prevalent for unupdated factions because those factions are already likely to be underperforming (and thus they don't need to be pushed beyond the current level of "competitive") and they are dealing with older sculpts. Players are much more likely to replace old sculpts for purely aesthetic rather than power reasons. 

As many people other than me have noted, this strategy very quickly becomes a vicious cycle. If only popular factions get updated regularly, then of course those factions are going to get an increasingly large share of the playerbase. People cite the predominance of space marines in 40k all the time, and frankly it's a terrible look for that game. How much of a turnoff is it for new players to come in to a game and see one faction at nearly every table, getting so much attention? This appearance sends so many bad messages.

Well

You may see Stormcast as Spacemarines that get all the love from the dev but you miss several points :

-Stormcast start from Zero (0) If they are going to be the posterboys they need a lot of releases to be the allaround force everybody expect from them.

-There is a love for subfactions that became major factions. An army of slayer? an army of Dryads and treemens? An army of giant beasts from the old ogre range? Nowhere would you see that before. Elfs and dwarfs are nice to have in your gallery but there are plenty of retailer that do elfs and if you have to do elfs, you have to do them better Or make something never seen before.

-If you have asked me when the beastmen armybook whent out, i could have sweat that tzaangor and Slaangor where never going to see their models. Now i am not sure of anything anymore.

-GW is making a very big step away from "classical" heroic fantasy, expect to never see a wanderer battetome coming out. The same for Duardins, if there is a dwarf battletome it is gonna be some crazy ****** you would never have thought about.

-Following the rule of "GW armies are specials" the DEATH faction has to rethink a big thunk of its range. Skeletons, Vampires and ghouls? ok but they are going to be VERY différent that what was made before. I think that is something we saw with the sylvaneth who took something from the wood elfs.

• Like 6

I always thought that (bar vanguard wing) SC deployment as lightning was the 'hurled from Sigmar' start to the campaign. So, for me, I'd love these 'survivors' - those that haven't been reforged anew and hurled back - to be savvy, open to adjusting tactics and fast. I think that's maybe what we'll see.
If it's a regular scout like deployment it might feel too similar to lightning strikes. Maybe just a 'snap march' in the first hero phase or movement phase. Even better, better speed during the whole game. SC are pretty slow post deployment!

True. I feel that some kind of battalion ability would be fine. It's important the factions have their flavour and strengths and weaknesses. For example, ironjawz are also slow but can counter it with allegiance and taking the ironfist.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

These new rangers should make quite appropriate allies for the mortal races, the Stormcasts we've seen so far have felt a bit distant/detached from regular Joes with their ride-the-lightning ways.

Looking forward to seeing how the fluff opens up in that regard.

• Like 1

Ooh. There are two different size of the image, if anyone's poring over them, with slightly differing coverage. One in the article, one on the main WHC page.

Looks like the Lord Castelant, Loremaster, Black Ark Fleetmaster and Cogsmith are down as heroes. They look to be fighting a blightking on the left but you can also see the head of a chaos sorceror lord's staff on the far right. Not sure who the guy just to right of the fleetmaster is... red armour and a two-handed axe might mean a slaughterpriest.

7 hours ago, scrubyandwells said:

Personally, I tend to view AoS as really kicking off ~6 months ago with the release of GHB and the Sylvaneth BT. In that regard, the game is ~6 months old. In that time, it hasn't released anything (except the Lord Veritant) for its main faction. The main faction has lacked a BT reflective of the (new) game for a half-year. So on that level, I can appreciate this up-to-date SCE BT release. And if they're going to do it, I can see the interest in releasing it with a new chamber / new models. 

That's certainly a fair point. The newer tomes are very different from the old ones and I will readily admit that SCE did need to get an update relatively sooner because of that. 

• Like 2

I spy with my poxed eye... a nurgle boy I will buy.

How long after the Silver Tower release did they make the individual guys available? I doubt I could convince anyone to play a Warhammer quest game (given we got Imperial Assault at Christmas and it still sits boxed up) but if we get some new Nurgle/Chaos stuff I'd jump at a chance to buy it.

Is Silver Tower a good purchase for a casual game night? I've been eyeing it lately and have a group of friends who like the more complicated board games but are also into TRPGs like D&D, but I don't know if this is the sort of game you can just play once in a while or if it's more for a dedicated group to play through the story.

Just now, Soulsmith said:

The dwarf looks near identical to the current cogsmith. Slightly worried they will throw in current hero models.

They're all pretty much identical to current heroes... The nurgle guy looks like he's based off of the foremost blightking here, right down to the spikes on his pauldron. We only get a glimpse of the guy just above him fighting the fleetmaster but based on the naked back and the curved shield, looks like he may be a Kairic acolyte.