The Rumour Thread

41 minutes ago, Kugane said:

I see thank you!

Indeed. Maybe they are changing stuff up and we wont need 3 battleline at 2k anymore.

Would open some room for armies with heavy battleline tax as well.

How would this change up 2k? This is all for 1k games, and even then assuming you still need two battleline, you will still be able to take duplicates of the battleline twice to meet battleline. 

11 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

Even if that is the case, would brake the ally points limitation, wouldnt it?

Yeah, I mean who knows, we'll have to wait and see, just messing around with options in my head for now. 

Also I have a really good workaround for this in that I'd pretty much only ever play this amongst mates anyway so...

2 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

40 Plague Monks and a Warpseer as a 500 point Spearhead would decimate. 

You can only take minimum sized units in the Spearhead. Only the Main Body can take bigger units (and then only Min. Size x2 for Battleline). 

You could at max. only take 2x10 Plague monks outside of a Pestilence army. 

Edit: the rearguard can also double other units

Edited by Gecktron
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

The size restrictions on units seems good also.  I hope there is also some restriction to prevent some of the more powerful/expensive heroes from being used in this game mode.

I'd say the fact that you have to divide the army into three parts with at least one unit in each severely limits how expensive a hero you can bring.

I dont know if it will be viable but who cares...

Allegiance: Soulblight

Leaders
Coven Throne (260)
Mannfred Mortarch of Night (420)

Battleline
5 x Blood Knights (240)

Total: 920 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 21
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 38

Vampire army!!!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, carnith said:

How would this change up 2k? This is all for 1k games, and even then assuming you still need two battleline, you will still be able to take duplicates of the battleline twice to meet battleline. 

I see. I completely missed the "must be 1000 points" part.  Thanks for clarifying :).

3 minutes ago, Hoseman said:

I dont know if it will be viable but who cares...

Allegiance: Soulblight

Leaders
Coven Throne (260)
Mannfred Mortarch of Night (420)

Battleline
5 x Blood Knights (240)

Total: 920 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 21
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 38

Vampire army!!!

Sounds like a cool army, only problem is, you have to split your army into three parts (as you need at least one unit per detachment). 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Not-not-kenny said:

I'd say the fact that you have to divide the army into three parts with at least one unit in each severely limits how expensive a hero you can bring.

You could easily fit in a 4-500pt model then a couple 200ish units.it helps that the behemoths are generally very fast so can get into the game

3 minutes ago, StokieRich said:

You could easily fit in a 4-500pt model then a couple 200ish units.it helps that the behemoths are generally very fast so can get into the game

I guess some armies could do this but for the majority I think the 500pt hero would mostly be a huge point sink for not that much tactical advantage. This isn't based on any deeper analysis but mostly gut feeling and I might be wrong of course.

9 minutes ago, Not-not-kenny said:

well turn 1 anvil battleline, turn 2 big scary monster, turn 3 cheap battleline.

so 3 gruntas,  gordrak, unit of 6 gruntas

or 2 dire wolf units, nagash, a chainrasp unit

would be legal with the shown rules baring any point increases. 

still i like how the rules encourage the lesser ran elite units rather that are usually overshadowed by the 30-40 man blob units so grave guard and the likes might see play

20 minutes ago, Not-not-kenny said:

This will depend upon the army.  The article implied that you only need a single unit in each detachment and only the Main Body has minimum unit requirements.  So I expect there are forces that could squeeze a big character in.  For instance, Ironjaws could take Gordrakk + 3 min Gore Grunta units and hit 1000 points exactly - assuming the points for those units does not increase in the upcoming GHB.  Given current points you could do the same thing with Nagash and some units of dire wolves, zombies, skeletons.  

Hopefully these build do not end up being effective due to the way scenarios are structured, but I would simply rather see these characters barred from this type of game at 1k points.  But that is simply my preference.

17 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

Sounds like a cool army, only problem is, you have to split your army into three parts (as you need at least one unit per detachment). 

In addition, the Main Body requires 1 leader and 1 unit of battleline minimum - so you need 2 units in that portion of the army and 1 in both of the others.

3 minutes ago, TheMuphinMan said:

well turn 1 anvil battleline, turn 2 big scary monster, turn 3 cheap battleline.

so 3 gruntas,  gordrak, unit of 6 gruntas

or 2 dire wolf units, nagash, a chainrasp unit

would be legal with the shown rules baring any point increases. 

still i like how the rules encourage the lesser ran elite units rather that are usually overshadowed by the 30-40 man blob units so grave guard and the likes might see play

Main Body requires 1 batteline.

12 minutes ago, Not-not-kenny said:

I guess some armies could do this but for the majority I think the 500pt hero would mostly be a huge point sink for not that much tactical advantage. This isn't based on any deeper analysis but mostly gut feeling and I might be wrong of course.

It depends on the hero.  Some of them, such as Gordrakk, are pretty capable of annihilating smaller units.  In the case of Gordrakk, it would not be surprising for his Wyvern to be able to crush a small unit with it's Destructive Bulk and trigger a charge into another.  Normally triggering this to happen multiple times in a row is rare in a game since units are too big and at most he can do only 8 wounds - but a game such as this where unit will tend to be minimum sized means there is much more opportunity for this.

I would hate to see a potentially fun game mode such as this that does not adequately prevent certain models from heavily skewing things.  Many large hero models could have the potential to do this.

11 minutes ago, Not-not-kenny said:

Main Body requires 1 batteline.

grunta, brutes gordrakk, ironskull boys or weirdnob

direwolves, nagash+chainrasp, direwolves.

wouldnt run either of these because its seems against the spirit of the rules though

Edited by TheMuphinMan
  • Haha 1

I know it’s because my interpretation of the initial announcement was wrong, but I’m disappointed with the rules. 

It initially seemed like a faster and easier way to play. But my assumption was that it would as a result also work for new players. Instead the list building fase needs a chart to explain it and requires you to make some hefty pre-game choices. Seems quite a lot to a newer player. 

Does look great as a alternative gaming system though. Always like scenarios where you are forced to split your forces up. 

• Like 6