Beasts of Chaos proof that GHB Allegiance is not Kiss of Death?

kenshin620

With the leaks of Beasts of Chaos that no doubt includes Brayherds, a GHB Allegiance, is this proof that just because a faction is only present in the GHB that it is not the "kiss of death" in terms of having a proper battletome?

I don't know exactly where this came from, but it seems many people parrot a supposed GW or designer quote roughly equaling to "GHB Allegiances are here to stay".

Now I DON'T think it is likely many factions in the GHB will ever go beyond the GHB, like Dispossessed who have already been repackaged for AOS bases, but does this give hope that there could be more for at least one or two other factions like Darklings or dare I say it....Skaven?

I always took the philosophy behind GHB factions as: "we want to continue this faction into AoS, but are not doing so before the next GHB". Nighthaunt was the first GHB army to get a proper update at the same time as the next GHB, now Beastmen have theirs, and Slaanesh may well get something soon too. This suggests that GHB allegiances were more of a buffer to tide some factions over until they get around to them, so I wouldn't give up hope if you play a GHB army. 

I've always thought that ghb allegiance is the opposite of "kiss of death", in fact factions with no ghb allegiances (or any other tome) are the ones people should be concerned about. Obviously moonclan grots have been heavily hinted at and they have no allegiance prior to their up and coming btome but there are plenty of small meh factions that you just know are never gonna get their tome ever (looking at you greenskinz).

I love everything GW does that gives me excuses to buy those random stuff that I want and use them in a sensible way ingame.

With this I'll buy at last a box of Tzaangors (Even without playing Tzeentch) and one of Dragon Ogors to mix with my Minotaur army. More battletomes like this one, please GW.

Nighthaunt already proved that before though. 

It's actually a rather solid way to test the water for rules for an army. The battletome nighthaunt rules greatly improve the GHB version (the rather tame version in the end). 

I remember this time last year everyone was complaining about the lack of physical releases and how we didn't see many factions being supported. Today we can talk about potential future battletomes and an upcoming Beast of Chaos one. I think any fears of discontinuation for armies are being invalidated.

This is renewing hope for me that Ogors will get something similar. I'm going to go out on a limb and hope that they get rolled back in with a re-release of Beastclaw Raiders. Even if they don't ogors have enough units that they'd fill out a battletome well:

Heroes: Tyrant, Butcher, Firebelly, possibly Bruiser standard bearer gets a port from ogre kingdoms compendium?
Units: Ironguts, Leadbelchers, Maneaters, Ogors, Ironblaster, Scraplauncher, Grots (Gnoblars)

Most of the Ogor plastics hold up fairly well, so a plastic maneaters kit or even just a new unit or two is all they need to be a real decent faction!

1 hour ago, Sception said:

I doubt they'll roll splinter factions with existing battletomes back into their parent factions, but it would be nice to see (non-BCR) ogres or (non-pestilens) skaven combined back into coherent, LoN style faction books.

How can you say this, when this is what they have done twice now for underserved oldworld armies?

1 hour ago, Sception said:

I doubt they'll roll splinter factions with existing battletomes back into their parent factions, but it would be nice to see (non-BCR) ogres or (non-pestilens) skaven combined back into coherent, LoN style faction books.

i would prefer to see each clan in a battletome with new minis

36 minutes ago, Cerlin said:

How can you say this, when this is what they have done twice now for underserved oldworld armies?

Technically speaking, none of the existing factions were changed when Legions of Nagash was released. Were Deadwalkers rolled into Deathrattle? Or Deathmages rolled into Deathlords? No.

What Legions of Nagash, and presumably Beasts of Chaos are doing is fixing GW's problem where they use keywords both to restrict synergies and as your army building foundation. They basically gift a certain selection of warscrolls with a new keyword which is used exclusively for army building.

Basically, GW dug themselves into a hole when they released the first GHB. They made it super restrictive to build armies for factions that were split up into mini-factions because they doubled up on how keywords are used. GHB2017 alleviated this pain somewhat by allowing allies, but it's still super painful for armies that don't have a large variety of units (and in particular, perhaps more critical is they're reduced to using the lackluster grand alliance allegiance abilities).

Overall. GW is not merging sub-factions when they do Legions of Nagash style books. When GW get around to doing an Ogor book, I doubt we'll see Firebellies and Maneaters rolled into Gutbusters. They are their own thing, and synergies that affect Gutbusters may reasonably not affect Firebellies or Maneaters. Instead, just like Legions, most likely GW will just create a shared keyword for them all to be fielded under. It may even include Beastclaw Raiders, you never know.

1 hour ago, ledha said:

i would prefer to see each clan in a battletome with new minis

Bah.  IMO there should be enough overlap between clans to put them in the same book.  All the clans have giant rats, clanrats, warlords, stormvermin.  I'd rather see a single book covering the clans generally, with each clan having a separate set of allegiance rules plus a few unique units & characters within that book.  The current split is too much hassle.

On 8/26/2018 at 3:53 PM, kenshin620 said:

With the leaks of Beasts of Chaos that no doubt includes Brayherds, a GHB Allegiance, is this proof that just because a faction is only present in the GHB that it is not the "kiss of death" in terms of having a proper battletome?

I don't know exactly where this came from, but it seems many people parrot a supposed GW or designer quote roughly equaling to "GHB Allegiances are here to stay".

Now I DON'T think it is likely many factions in the GHB will ever go beyond the GHB, like Dispossessed who have already been repackaged for AOS bases, but does this give hope that there could be more for at least one or two other factions like Darklings or dare I say it....Skaven?

Well skaven seem to be definitely coming my friend.

250493EC-3D0E-47C7-AA4E-63DA959B0962.jpeg

2 hours ago, Sception said:

Bah.  IMO there should be enough overlap between clans to put them in the same book.  All the clans have giant rats, clanrats, warlords, stormvermin.  I'd rather see a single book covering the clans generally, with each clan having a separate set of allegiance rules plus a few unique units & characters within that book.  The current split is too much hassle.

Plus the problem with Skaven being in different books is that unless they actually get of their lazy butts, GW is probably going to still use all the current models whether you like it or not which is really going to look dated.

So Old 6th edition plastics and finecast will likely be used until the end of time. I don't wanna crack open a Skyre book and see finecast acolytes and weapon teams on every other page!

Plus they still need to fix the Masterclan issue....

Although yea technically they will have to invent new umbrella keywords since not all Skaven units have the Skaven keyword (like the Verminlords) and not all Ogor units have the Ogor keyword (like Yhetees)

18 hours ago, Ar-Pharazôn said:

I remember this time last year everyone was complaining about the lack of physical releases and how we didn't see many factions being supported. Today we can talk about potential future battletomes and an upcoming Beast of Chaos one. I think any fears of discontinuation for armies are being invalidated.

I didn't think they would discontinue any of the armies (Like TK and Brets), but rather that armies could be ignored for so long they never get the love.

I've also been complaining that there have been too many new releases this year. So I wasn't initially happy.

This release is a great mixing of old units and new love.  I love it. So I'm hoping they give everything older the 40K update treatment.

Archived