AoS 2 - Wanderers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

There is a little potential for a Wanderers  VS the Gits instead of Sylvaneth box in that trailer.  The loss of Glade Guard a few weeks ago might represent them taking sprues off the market to repackage into the VS box.  Grasping at straws here but what the hey... gives them an excuse to drop our battletome.

Edited by Cambot1231

Forget-me-knot question.

So from what I understand the forget-me-knot is used at the start of the fight phase, against a character within 3" of the character holding it, but I've had situations where they're have charges outside of 3" into my eternal guard screen. Then left me in a position where I can't get to within 3", because you can't end your move with 3" of an enemy unit, and unable to complete a charge because I couldn't get within 1/2" of the enemy (due to the eternal guard screen).

How do you guys deal with this, is it just a case of hope the opponent has forgotten about the forget-me-knot, or not screen off the hero with it? Have any of you had success with this, and if so how did you do it?

1 hour ago, GM_Monkey said:

Forget-me-knot question.

So from what I understand the forget-me-knot is used at the start of the fight phase, against a character within 3" of the character holding it, but I've had situations where they're have charges outside of 3" into my eternal guard screen. Then left me in a position where I can't get to within 3", because you can't end your move with 3" of an enemy unit, and unable to complete a charge because I couldn't get within 1/2" of the enemy (due to the eternal guard screen).

How do you guys deal with this, is it just a case of hope the opponent has forgotten about the forget-me-knot, or not screen off the hero with it? Have any of you had success with this, and if so how did you do it?

I think the only option is to think way ahead in the turn you got charged and make room for the character during pile in.

• Thanks 1

On 3/30/2019 at 4:13 AM, Cambot1231 said:

There is a little potential for a Wanderers  VS the Gits instead of Sylvaneth box in that trailer.  The loss of Glade Guard a few weeks ago might represent them taking sprues off the market to repackage into the VS box.  Grasping at straws here but what the hey... gives them an excuse to drop our battletome.

I think it's pretty much confirmed sylvanetg

@GM_Monkey I think Aezeal is right, proper placement and planning can be key here. When looking to use the Forget-me-knot defensively, try not to have three full 25mm bases in your way in any direction so that your opponent can't charge around the artifact's range. In this example, if an enemy Waywatcher is charging in to do some serious damage with his Waystalker Blade, the Prince can prevent it. Even if the opponent places his charging hero as far from the Prince as he can, he'll still be in combat with the Nomad Prince and the Forget-me-knot can be used:IMG_20190331_154902.jpg.d819971a9d2d4f2ab0a94d0d9b8c451e.jpg

When trying to charge a hero bearing the Forget-me-knot into combat, be sure to take full advantage of the 1" of distance that unit cohesion allows and it will leave enough of a gap for your charging hero to fit between your units' 25mm bases. Here these Eternal Guard are tied up in combat with the fearsome melee threat of an enemy Waywatcher hero, but with careful model positioning the Nomad Prince can still charge in to save the day:

IMG_20190331_154626.jpg.3d42359d5f8a3ba928ec8be178ec3114.jpgIMG_20190331_154705.jpg.15976a15ead241853da8a29c3b086b0e.jpg

• Like 3

It has been this way for a while now. I think they grouped it around christmas. Some people say did only did it so parents have an easier time finding stuff, other say it's an indicator that Aelves will get a combined Battletome. I don't know what to believe. :D

On 4/1/2019 at 7:58 AM, Aezeal said:

I think the only option is to think way ahead in the turn you got charged and make room for the character during pile in.

I think the forget-me-knot needs to be updated in GH2019 as its largely ineffective, currently any savvy opponent will charge your unit and stay outside of 3" so  as to not trigger it, then they pile in 3" plus the 1"-2" weapon reach depending on what they use/riding and smack your little elf ar*se back to the the forest so goodby Nomad Prince and protective volley in the next hero phase...unless they get a double turn...grrr i hate double turn

Edited by bernoodist

1 hour ago, bernoodist said:

I think the forget-me-knot needs to be updated in GH2019 as its largely ineffective, currently any savvy opponent will charge your unit and stay outside of 3" so  as to not trigger it, then they pile in 3" plus the 1"-2" weapon reach depending on what they use/riding and smack your little elf ar*se back to the the forest so goodby Nomad Prince and protective volley in the next hero phase...unless they get a double turn...grrr i hate double turn

How will they charge you and also stay outside 3"? When you charge, the first model you move must end within a half inch.. so a hero model would be forced to end within .5" if it charged.

9 hours ago, Frozenbeast said:

Is it an old change on GW's website or have they grouped up all the Aelves together only now? I went there to study some sculpts and I noticed the remaining of HE, DE and WE are all grouped under Aelves now.

As Martinwolf said, it's been awhile since they made the change but I'm with the crowd that doesn't believe it really meant anything. That said, Aelves will most likely get a combination tome or (what I think will happen) rolled into a "Firestorm 2.0" which would be a Free Peoples tome that includes the Human factions, Dispossessed and all\some of the Aelf factions.

Edited by Gwendar
  • Like 1

Prince Maesa there on the cover is an exiled prince so he may look different even than the rest of his kin.

As an aside he's not even in that book and it's rather upsetting. (Sorry he IS in there. Asking someone to tell a story that turns out to be the entire short story section Maesa is in. That's it.)

2 hours ago, The Red King said:

Prince Maesa there on the cover is an exiled prince so he may look different even than the rest of his kin.

As an aside he's not even in that book and it's rather upsetting. (Sorry he IS in there. Asking someone to tell a story that turns out to be the entire short story section Maesa is in. That's it.)

Yes, I bought the book assuming that, as he was on the cover, that Prince Maesa would feature fairly prominently inside as well; felt slightly conned in that respect. It was my first Black Library purchase.  It probably won't be my last, but I shall certainly not be judging their books by their covers.

12 minutes ago, Nick907 said:

Is he the character from the audiobook, the elf prince in Shadespire trying to convince Nagash to revive a human female he had loved? He has a sword that steals souls, and travels around with the spite buddy.

Yep. There is also a subsequent story, "The Sands of Grief", wherein he travels to the edges of Shyish to find his wife's soul.

I enjoyed that one a lot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of Wanderer lore, (of which there is depressingly little in BL), I've been posting some Wanderer centred writing on the Narrative section. 

The first is a narrative write up of the various battles in the Fate of Sigmar narrative tournament.

The second is the preview of the Realms at War tournament coming up. It also includes my first attempt at an audiobook (about 12 minutes) - would particularly like to hear people's thoughts on that. 

• LOVE IT! 1

9 hours ago, Gwendar said:

How will they charge you and also stay outside 3"? When you charge, the first model you move must end within a half inch.. so a hero model would be forced to end within .5" if it charged.

You can do this with oval shaped cav/monsters, charge in to .5" on the unit next to the Nomad Prince with Forget-me-knot, stay just out of 3" and when you pile in just turn the oval base 90 degrees and your just in range with a 2" reach with your Dragons bite/Lance/etc, does that sound legit/legal ? , when i get home will test this theory with models

1 hour ago, bernoodist said:

does that sound legit/legal ?

I mean, I guess? Regardless, the hero would still be within 3" for the Forget-Me-Knot to go off so I'm not sure what you're getting at, plus this is different than what you said in your original post where you mentioned they could charge you and still be outside of 3" which is impossible. Or maybe I'm missing what you're saying..?

Forget-Me-Knot works within 3" but you may be thinking it works within 1": "Once per battle, in any combat phase, pick an enemy HERO within 3" of this model."

Edited by Gwendar

@bernoodist Read well and pay attention how people pile their models. We have a lot of small base size units and that means big models, either with oval or round bases, won t be able to pile in much as they will have to "finish the pile in move at least as close to the nearest enemy model as they were at the beginning of the pile in". But a big model that charging into a lot of small bases will very easily get stuck between two bases therefore won t be able to pile in as much. Make sure whoever is using that big model knows how to pile in. 

@Gwendar what he is trying to say is that Forget-me-knot must be declared at the BEGINNING of the combat phase. Hence if the enemy model is outside 3" at the start and then it gets within 3" with the pile in, you won t be able to activate the artifact to prevent the enemy from attacking.

I guess yes, it is legit, what you have to do is just position your hero more aggressively or in such a way that is inevitable that your opponent will pull the hero in combat before the pile in. Still what I memtioned early remains valid, make sure your opponent knows how to pile in. 

Edited by Frozenbeast
  • Like 1

@Frozenbeast What I'm trying to say is unless the model you want to throw FmK on can pile in 6" (thus not have to charge) then it would most assuredly be within 3" or else it wouldn't be able to pile in in the first place.

Unless of course it charged the tail-end of a screen in front of the Nomad to be outside 3" and then piled in towards the Nomad during it's activation.. or if the Nomad was standing too close to said screen and got pulled into combat. Either way, I think there are better options for relics and I tend to opt out of using this one for various reasons.

Edited by Gwendar