AoS 2 - Wanderers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Morning all,

Here is the new thread for discussing Wanderers. With the imminent release of AoS 2 (and a lot of the info already being out there), now is the time for us to start afresh on TGA.

Moving forward, this will be the main thread to chat about and discuss Wanderers in the new edition. I still wholly encourage people to keep their own threads/army blogs within this sub forum and I also think those are a great place to share some photos as I know not everyone frequents the Painting & Modelling section (like me!). But this thread is purely for discussion around the faction, things such as (but not limited to) tactics and list building etc. You all know the drill, we've been doing it on this forum since inception!

For newer players, I would say the older thread could still be worth perusal and whilst it is now locked for further replies, you can find it here - http://www.tga.community/forums/topic/8798-lets-chat-wanderers-wood-elves-compendium/

Really excited to see what we can come up with as a community and I look forward to reading all your ideas and thoughts.

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Ha, first post.

I'm really looking forward to 2.0, got some ideas rolling around in the old brain, thinking of going with the waystone pathfinders for the extra command point it gives.

List would look like this

Waystone pathfinders

Nomad Prince

Spell weaver (staff)

Waywatcher (general, eagle eyes)

Waywatcher

Waystrider

20 glade guard (full command)

20 glade guard  (full command)

10 sisters of the watch (high sister)

10 sisters of the watch  (high sister)

5 wild riders (full command)

5 wild riders (full command)

5 swifthawk reavers

Emerald lifeswarm

• Like 2

I can see the shooting heavy comp and I might agree or not but this time wanna focus on something else. 

As @adreal brought it upi m gonna ask: endless spells. Which one, if any, might or surely will be beneficial to a Wanderers army?

I have been thinking about the quicksilver swords as they are the spell that travels the most and  could buy us a bit more time (a luky roll onthe 12 dice will make our life on oneshotting characters a lot easier, like 3-4 mw) against fast cc armies. 

But then others might be useful. Do you guys see them working for us? Is there one we can takw advantage of to empower our strong side or the one we need is one that fulfills a role Wanderers cannot fulfil? 

• Like 2

The quicksilver swords seem to be very cheap at 20 points, so could be really easy to squeeze in however 1 mortal wound on a 6+ is a little low even with 12 dice. Emerald lifeswarm is nice but very similar to the spell weavers native spell. 

I'm actually pretty interested to see what the realms spells are, I think we really need something to replace Arcane bolt and Mystic shield.

Edited by GM_Monkey
  • Like 1

The Soulsnare Shackles seems like a very strong option for almost any army at only 20 points. Wanderers can use their mobile wizards - the Sisters of the Thorn with their 12"+d6 move or a Spellweaver using the Realm Wanderers ability - to get down field and then throw the shackles in the midst of the opponents' army, slowing them down and keeping them away from our squishy archers. Its big downfall is that they shackles are relatively easy to dispel, but that means the opponent has 'wasted' a spell to do so or else have their army move at a snail's pace.  

11 hours ago, GM_Monkey said:

we really need something to replace Arcane bolt and Mystic shield

I get that it doesn't 'replace' it because we were already casting it, but Shield of Thorns is the same casting value as mystic shield and it rerolls all saves and it can also cause mortal wounds to boot. I think 'as is' mystic shield will still be quite useful at times. I think the endless spells will fill this void for the most part, as you'll likely be using some of your spell casting attempts to dispel your opponents endless spells as well as using some casting attempts to throw your own out there. Unfortunately most of the talk I've heard here locally is that many folk won't want to use the realm rules and spells - too 'unbalanced.' :(

1 hour ago, Aezeal said:

Emerald lifeswarm seems ok with high value 1 wound models... like sisters.

I really thought I was going to use the Lifeswarm, more for flavor reasons than almost anything else, but at 60 points I'm going to have trouble fitting it in my lists. I understand they wanted to price healing at a premium, but it just doesn't quite do enough to justify being one of the most expensive endless spells. The Aethervoid pendulum will perhaps prove to be the best endless spell - even if your opponent gets to move it they can't move it backwards towards you and it deals the big d6 wounds, all at 20 points less the the Lifeswarm. Sure, they perform very different functions but it's hard to overlook the disparity in point efficiency. 

I still think I will find a way to fit it in a list and field it, looks fun to paint and everything. Combine with the Spellweaver's Blessing of Life to bring back 2d3 slain Sisters of the Watch per turn, as you say, and laugh maniacally. 

Due to the liklyhood of wanderers never getting a battletome, and my desire for my battles to mean something, I have put together a rough reason for why wanderers fight the way they do in the mortal realms.

First off, what we know, they fled from the realm of life die to chaos, but, being aelves, they seem to retain thief connection with realm magics.

So they carry a deep shame, and have taken on the reliability of fighting chaos and relating the laylines of the realms that chaos destroyed.

Through travelling the realms they have encountered mankind, who they blame for bringing chaos to the mortal realms, but respect the fact that they will fight chaos, but they will not ally with men, as they know they will fall to the temptations of chaos.
They have encountered dwarves, and they think that they didn't fight in the age of chaos, just hide in the mines or the skies and looked for gold and gems. 
They have encountered godless aelves who either dominate (darkling covens, scourge privateers, order seepentus) the mortal realms or sell themselves to the humans (order draconis, swifthawk agents, eldritch council).

They have also encountered aelves they believe to be blessed by gods of old. Asurmen  (Phoenix temple) khaine (daughter's of khaine) and mathlann (idoneth deepkin), seeing them, spurred the wanderers into seeking kuronos, and returning him to the realm of life to be with allarielle.  I'm doing this, and repairing the laylines they believe will absolve them from their ancient shame.

After taking on the task of seeking kuronos, some male aelven children were born with a otherworldly apparience and greater affenitiy with beasts, the wanderers took this as a blessing from kuronos, and when they reached maturity they would form a fighting force known as wild riders. At the same time, some female aelven children were born with a naturally deeper understanding of life magic and a deep affinity with beasts, as they matured they formed a coven known as sisters of the thorn, the wanderers see this as a blessing from allarielle, and see seeking of kuronos as the right and just way forward.

While all wanderers are taught to fight and defend the realms with a bow, some seek to understand the pathways of the laylines and become known as the kindred of the watch, their bows are blessed by both the wild riders and the sisters of the thorn, and because of that they have a supernatural ability to fire so fast that lesser races can't even load a shot before a hail of arrows descend on them, and are said to have the force of a charging elk.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, awcamawn said:

The Aethervoid pendulum will perhaps prove to be the best endless spell - even if your opponent gets to move it they can't move it backwards towards you and it deals the big d6 wounds, all at 20 points less the the Lifeswarm. Sure, they perform very different functions but it's hard to overlook the disparity in point efficiency. 

I still think I will find a way to fit it in a list and field it, looks fun to paint and everything. Combine with the Spellweaver's Blessing of Life to bring back 2d3 slain Sisters of the Watch per turn, as you say, and laugh maniacally. 

I have been thinking the same about the Pendulum. As it is not predatory (or it is, I don't remember but still our opponent cannot move it toward us) it could be a sick combo having our spellweaver teleporting to one table edge and flank the opponent with the pendulum hitting a big number of the enemy units. Or the SotT moving up to the flank and casting it from there. Pendulum travel a lot and if our opponent does not want all his army hit by it he will have to move quickly. 

9 hours ago, awcamawn said:

Its big downfall is that they shackles are relatively easy to dispel, but that means the opponent has 'wasted' a spell to do so or else have their army move at a snail's pace.

And this was exactly my point with the Swords. it is a 20 pts spell that has the potential of allowing us to one-shot small characters or at least helping us to kill them in one turn and the enemy will HAVE to dispel it or risk to have more MW suffered. It is so random that can result in a faff or a big shot (while others cannot do more than, say, d3 or d6 MW the swords have the potential, very small chance is true but still, to do 12!!!!).  And it is another one that can be cast long distance (se-up wholly within 12", moved 8" (20") and one unit within 6" (26"!!) is affected) and it covers a big area.

8 hours ago, adreal said:

I hadn't even considered the shackles, but slowing down combat armies (who sometimes tend to lack in the wizard department) is a good idea, but getting them into range seems to be the hard part

I think there is the potential to have a big area covered still. You place the main one wholly within 12", then the other two within 6" of the first one and then every unit within 6" is affected  so potentially you cover a 18" area in a straight line or you can place them in V shape to keep less but more dangerous units slow for longer.

• Like 1

Are Command points now 50 points each? Is anyone thinking of leaving points space for extra command points? As it stands I was thinking I would not spend on the first round (as most likely all the units will be out of range) and bank the command point. I would only use the Waywatchers command ablility if I was facing a very shooty army.

With the banked command points I can see the re-rolling charges being useful. Could Stacker of the Hidden Path a unit of Wildwood Rangers to with 9" of a major threat monster then re-roll the charge if they fail to get in?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Popisdead said:

Is that true?  Paying 200+ for a formation, unless the benefit really outweighs is a poor management way to get a command point then.

I don't know if this is true or not but it's what I've heard in my local group. (Edit: The only thing I can find is this quote on Aosshorts.com : "You gain one command point for every 50 points of your army not spent on units.")

The Battalion for wanders is actual getting a lot better, you get an additional command point, an additional artefact and the ability to have anther shooting phase (although only on 1 unit with 12") plus with the nerfing of our battle trait the battalion develop trait sudden looks a lot better. I just wish we didn't have to pay so much unit tax for it.

Edited by GM_Monkey
  • Like 1

Hey guys (and gals),

With the new edition coming out and points changes, is there any thoughts on using Wild Riders?

Wild Riders have always been my favourite unit (aesthetically and in 8th edition functionally).

I'd like to ask for some advice on using them. I want to include them and would like some guidance on the role that they fulfil and any combos/ compliments etc?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

I feel like Wild Riders still aren't cheap enough for what they do, but I'll try to run them in the new edition nevertheless. They are an excellent target for the Spellweaver's Blessing of Life and have excellent bravery. I think you might want a unit of 10 to give them enough power to do want you want them to do - charge support heroes and ranged units. We're losing quite a bit of our mobility with the change to Realm Wanderers, and their ability to run and charge can offset that a bit. Having them in your Waystone Pathfinders battalion will let them start the game from any board edge - super useful for putting them in a flanking position.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bingo we got the FAQ we wanted:

Q: Some abilities allow you to remove a unit from the battlefield and set it up again, and say that this ‘counts as their move for the movement phase’ (or words to that effect). Do these units count as having made a move for the purposes of any other rules or abilities?

A: No, it simply restricts them from making a move later on.

Edit: Here's the URL https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/age_of_sigmar_core_rules_designers_commentary_base_sizes_en.pdf

page 3.

Edited by GM_Monkey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, MrZakalwe said:

Hmm those bases sizes are odd- Archmage on dragon, Dragon lord and Dreadlord on Black dragon all have different base sizes. 

Also why are all the hero bar the nomad prince on 25mm bases, I would have thought they would go on 32mm

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Phantajisto said:

Good news from the June 2018 FAQ

BFD97249-E2BA-4150-A6A4-A2D300A1AC58.jpeg

Awesomeness incarnate... well relatively speaking ofcourse, for wanderers it's a nice little bonus. This combined with the other changes will probably make sisters of the watch an autoinclude (though.. I'll still proxy them with my old waywatchers.) No reason not to make the waywatcher hero the general so they can be battleline too then.

1 hour ago, Origin said:

That FAQ... Bloody hell. They take with one hand and give with the other. The FAQ is great, it's what we all wanted, for one freaking unit a turn...! 

Even if it might seem obvious, let's not drawing conclusions before having read the change. The video that spoiled the ability did not specified other changes but this does not mean there won't be any. Maybe it is restricted to one unit but all table edge and not just the one yo came out of and then maybe Sothp specify that you can move all the units within x" from the bearer. Do not despair my friends, our time will come and it will be bloody painful then!!!!

@Frozenbeast Unfortunately I have seen the new abilities and there a few minor changes to abilities and artifacts but our Realm Wanderer ability is now limited to 1 unit per turn and the unit must be wholly within 6" of the board edge. It is a really sad change. 

I would post a picture but the admins would hit me with a stick I think... 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Yeah realm wanderers took a unneeded hit, but we gotta roll with it.

In light of the faq, stalker and a unit of sisters of the watch seem like a fun little hunter unit, take out those backfield characters easier and can look after themselves in a fight 

• Like 1