AoS 2 - Daughters of Khaine Discussion

Chris Tomlin

2 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

One of our temples offers an additional -1 vs ranged attacks. So go for it :)

Yes, I mean, -2 to shooting (-3 with look out sir) would be fun, but I was more thinking of combining it with Hag Narr to also improve the FNP and cover magic damage a little more

6 hours ago, Marcvs said:

Hi all! after my first year and first army (SCE) in AoS I am starting to plan my second army and looking at DoK. For the moment I am just testing on TTS and waiting to see what November will bring before committing to purchases.

I order to not having to rediscover the wheel I was wondering whether someone has already thought of taking a unit of Tempestors as allies. Their warscroll is bad and I am aware that allies are quite inefficient in DoK, but I am thinking that the -1 to hit from shooting bubble within 12" might be useful in the shooting meta (tm). Considering how DoK buffs already encourage to stick close to the centre of the army, this might easily cover all units. Tempestors might become priority target, but with 10w on a 3+ rr1 (and -1 to hit from shooting) they should force the opponent to commit enough firepower to leave the rest of the army untouched for at least one turn. Then again, it would mean 190 wasted points vs non shooting armies.

So, do you think that there might be an interest in exploring this path?

I believe the tempestor warscroll says that enemies are -1 to hit with missile weapons while they (as in that enemy unit) are within 12 inches. So the -1 to hit wouldnt come into effect until you get the tempestors into range of the enemy. 

Nice thing is it wouldn't force you to try to fit everything into the effect range, but it makes the tempestor debuff useless if you don't get the chance to put them in range of enemy threats like if they have redeploys/teleports or if they turn 1 alpha strike.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Graywater said:

I believe the tempestor warscroll says that enemies are -1 to hit with missile weapons while they (as in that enemy unit) are within 12 inches. So the -1 to hit wouldnt come into effect until you get the tempestors into range of the enemy. 

Nice thing is it wouldn't force you to try to fit everything into the effect range, but it makes the tempestor debuff useless if you don't get the chance to put them in range of enemy threats like if they have redeploys/teleports or if they turn 1 alpha strike.

DAMN!
and that is why, ladies and gentlmen, we post stuff on the forum before committing

fade to black

closing titles

• Haha 1

On 10/25/2020 at 7:49 PM, Mirbeau said:

Does anyone know of a guide to getting that turn one Mortathi transform  & alpha-strike combo online? Googling just brings up total-war stuff. Want to make sure I properly get the wording etc. right so I can explain to my opponent pre-game and make sure she's surrounded by enough models etc in different situations.

The most reliable combo is to alpha strike Morathi.

Army Building

1. You need to use Khailebron Temple
  2. Pick a Battalion to lower your deployment count to seize the first turn
  3. Battalion will also give you an additional CP and Artefact
  4. Field a Medusa with Mirror Dance and Shadow Stone
  5. Field another Hero besides Morathi and the Medusa to allow for Mirror Dance

Realm

• Roll for the Realm of Beast
  • The Realm's Command Ability Feral Roar is the most potent for Morathi to keep her damage output at top tier. It will make a huge difference especially when she is at lower wound count.
  • The Realm spell Wildform also helps with charging +2" run and charge

Deployment

1. Deploy all your units before your opponent to seize the T1
  2. Deploy your Medusa more than 30" from any enemy Wizards (if you play against Seraphons this strategy will not work because they have Global Dispel)
  3. Deploy Morathi more than 8" away from ANY units  and within 24" of your Medusa - This will ensure her large base is more than 6" from any units for Mirror Dance to work

TURN 1A - Your turn

Start of Hero Phase

1. Khailebron teleport a hero forward but still within 24" of your Medusa with Mirror Dance
  2. Bankai Morathi - she should be more than 6" from any units

Hero Phase

1. Use Morathi to cast Wildform on herself for +2" to charge (chances are she is more than 30" away from enemy, cast value of 5 is pretty easy)
  2. Use Medusa with Shadow Stone to cast Mirror Dance (this will almost always work unless you are extremely unlucky or playing against Seraphons)
  3. Swap Morathi and Hero using Mirror Dance
  4. Spend 1 CP to activate Feral Roar on Morathi - This is also an insurance against double turn, I'll explain later

Movement Phase

1. Since you didn't teleport Morathi, she technically still can move
  2. Fly her  within 3" of your enemy

Shooting Phase

• If your opponent is careless with positioning, Morathi can snipe off enemy Heros with 5 wounds and below
  • Otherwise, ask if your opponent has any special buff giving model in his units - i.e sniping off an Icon Bearer in a Pink Horror unit makes a HUGE difference as he cannot bring back models w/o his Icon Bearer

Charging Phase

• If you got Wildform off for the +2" charge, she cannot fail charge unless your opponent has some special rule
  • IMPORTANT: Morathi MUST engage a MINIMUM of 3 enemy units to make her a valuable tarpit
  • When I mean engage, I mean to use her thicc base to be within 3" of as many unique enemy units as possible to force them into combat with her

Fight Phase

• Attack priority - (High) Units w Low Saves > Units w High Saves >  Heros w Low Saves > Heros w High Saves > Anything that Ignores Rend (Low)
  • If an enemy unit has poor leadership and is more than 6" from a friendly Hero or 12" from the General, they make excellent target as well!
  • Try not to split attacks, pump all attacks into a unit or hero to achieve as much damage as possible
  • Overkilling a unit/hero or taking out as many models as possible is important

Morale Phase

• Since you went first, if your opponent didn't bring a battalion or buy a CP,  he will not have any CP to activate inspiring presence
  • If you killed enough models, you can potentially wipe units from battleshock alone!

TURN 1B - Opponent

This is where it gets tricky for the opponent. Since Morathi is always at top tier, her damage output can be frightening and they will be tempted to fall back. But they also know if they fall back everything (i.e disengage combat from Morathi), if they lose the initiative for T2, Morathi will practically just have free reign in their backyard!

Smarter opponents will disengage hard hitters/squishes and feed Morathi a sacrificial tarpit.

Opponent Double Turn

Feral Roar makes taking a Double Turn not so attractive for your opponent because Morathi will remain at her top tier despite doing more damage to her. The ability last until your next Hero Phase. You can always remind your opponent about Feral Roar and ask them to think twice before taking the double turn :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

So we've been told explicitly that we are getting new Allegiance abilities and battalions pertaining to a new temple. Here's hoping it's a decent alternative to hagg nar. I am quite interested in the ability to run both forms of morathi at once, as itd be quite handy to have both the target bully of monster morathi, as well as the casting bonuses of little morathi at the same time.

Also, id love a new stalker warscroll, but im not holding my breath. 

On 10/27/2020 at 3:01 PM, InSaint said:

The most reliable combo is to alpha strike Morathi.

Army Building

1. You need to use Khailebron Temple
  2. Pick a Battalion to lower your deployment count to seize the first turn
  3. Battalion will also give you an additional CP and Artefact
  4. Field a Medusa with Mirror Dance and Shadow Stone
  5. Field another Hero besides Morathi and the Medusa to allow for Mirror Dance

Realm

• Roll for the Realm of Beast
  • The Realm's Command Ability Feral Roar is the most potent for Morathi to keep her damage output at top tier. It will make a huge difference especially when she is at lower wound count.
  • The Realm spell Wildform also helps with charging +2" run and charge

Deployment

1. Deploy all your units before your opponent to seize the T1
  2. Deploy your Medusa more than 30" from any enemy Wizards (if you play against Seraphons this strategy will not work because they have Global Dispel)
  3. Deploy Morathi more than 8" away from ANY units  and within 24" of your Medusa - This will ensure her large base is more than 6" from any units for Mirror Dance to work

TURN 1A - Your turn

Start of Hero Phase

1. Khailebron teleport a hero forward but still within 24" of your Medusa with Mirror Dance
  2. Bankai Morathi - she should be more than 6" from any units

Hero Phase

1. Use Morathi to cast Wildform on herself for +2" to charge (chances are she is more than 30" away from enemy, cast value of 5 is pretty easy)
  2. Use Medusa with Shadow Stone to cast Mirror Dance (this will almost always work unless you are extremely unlucky or playing against Seraphons)
  3. Swap Morathi and Hero using Mirror Dance
  4. Spend 1 CP to activate Feral Roar on Morathi - This is also an insurance against double turn, I'll explain later

Movement Phase

1. Since you didn't teleport Morathi, she technically still can move
  2. Fly her  within 3" of your enemy

Shooting Phase

• If your opponent is careless with positioning, Morathi can snipe off enemy Heros with 5 wounds and below
  • Otherwise, ask if your opponent has any special buff giving model in his units - i.e sniping off an Icon Bearer in a Pink Horror unit makes a HUGE difference as he cannot bring back models w/o his Icon Bearer

Charging Phase

• If you got Wildform off for the +2" charge, she cannot fail charge unless your opponent has some special rule
  • IMPORTANT: Morathi MUST engage a MINIMUM of 3 enemy units to make her a valuable tarpit
  • When I mean engage, I mean to use her thicc base to be within 3" of as many unique enemy units as possible to force them into combat with her

Fight Phase

• Attack priority - (High) Units w Low Saves > Units w High Saves >  Heros w Low Saves > Heros w High Saves > Anything that Ignores Rend (Low)
  • If an enemy unit has poor leadership and is more than 6" from a friendly Hero or 12" from the General, they make excellent target as well!
  • Try not to split attacks, pump all attacks into a unit or hero to achieve as much damage as possible
  • Overkilling a unit/hero or taking out as many models as possible is important

Morale Phase

• Since you went first, if your opponent didn't bring a battalion or buy a CP,  he will not have any CP to activate inspiring presence
  • If you killed enough models, you can potentially wipe units from battleshock alone!

TURN 1B - Opponent

This is where it gets tricky for the opponent. Since Morathi is always at top tier, her damage output can be frightening and they will be tempted to fall back. But they also know if they fall back everything (i.e disengage combat from Morathi), if they lose the initiative for T2, Morathi will practically just have free reign in their backyard!

Smarter opponents will disengage hard hitters/squishes and feed Morathi a sacrificial tarpit.

Opponent Double Turn

Feral Roar makes taking a Double Turn not so attractive for your opponent because Morathi will remain at her top tier despite doing more damage to her. The ability last until your next Hero Phase. You can always remind your opponent about Feral Roar and ask them to think twice before taking the double turn :) 

Awesome, incredible detail - thanks for this!

2 hours ago, Graywater said:

So we've been told explicitly that we are getting new Allegiance abilities and battalions pertaining to a new temple. Here's hoping it's a decent alternative to hagg nar. I am quite interested in the ability to run both forms of morathi at once, as itd be quite handy to have both the target bully of monster morathi, as well as the casting bonuses of little morathi at the same time.

Also, id love a new stalker warscroll, but im not holding my breath. 

New allegiance ability... Hmm...

Do you think our Fanatical Table will be changed or removed? 

1 minute ago, Xil said:

New allegiance ability... Hmm...

Do you think our Fanatical Table will be changed or removed? 

I highly doubt it. I think theyre referring to the extra sub-faction rules like draichi ganeth's +1 to hit on the charge or hagg nar rerolling all hits instead of just 1s on turn 3. The table is pretty integral to the army and any change would have wide reaching effects. I dont think theyre going to put changes to the core rules of the army in a supplemental book. 

I had a theory months ago and it still stands.

Morathi becomes the new Slaanesh. She wants to be a god and doesnt give a ****** how

Slaanesh is still imprisoned or MIA. Morathi was in WFB the original Cult of Slaanesh person.

Morathi escaped from Slaanesh, and has been biding her time to find a way to absorb Slaanesh.

Morathi breaks her allies to basically eat Slaanesh, and becomes the new chaos god and reforms the Cult of Slaanesh (hence which box set is DOK vs Slaanesh. Slaanesh side are tryin to stop her, fail and become her minions so you get to use both parts of the box set if you want as an army)

New temple is Zainthar Kai (or Cobra Kai ;) ) which is a snake temple

• Like 3

Morathi can't become the new Slaanesh - her own cult would have to stab her many many many times and then we'd not get to use that awesome model. More likely it sounds like she's going to try and steal power from Sigmar; or perhaps her plan is to fully steal the souls from Slaanesh in one big burst. A huge glut of souls that will pour into the vast blood cauldron which she can then use in an epic feat of magic to unleash a huge tide of khinerai and melusai upon the realms. Perhaps driving back Slaanesh's mortal and demonic forces and then entering into a major war with her son to steal significant chunks of land. We should not forget that just as she's weaker as a demi-god she's also weaker in terms of military might and armed forces. 

• Like 1

I really cannot wait to get my hands on the Broken Realms Morathi book, this is truly one of the most exciting releases for Age of Sigmar for a long time in my opinion, really looking forward to seeing the new rules for the Daughters (and the other factions of course!) as well as the expansion of the narrative, I really do love Morathi, she is certainly the most interesting character in the lore, cant wait to see what she’s got planned for the mortal realms!

14 hours ago, Gordrakk said:

I really cannot wait to get my hands on the Broken Realms Morathi book, this is truly one of the most exciting releases for Age of Sigmar for a long time in my opinion, really looking forward to seeing the new rules for the Daughters (and the other factions of course!) as well as the expansion of the narrative, I really do love Morathi, she is certainly the most interesting character in the lore, cant wait to see what she’s got planned for the mortal realms!

+1

I second this. 

There is so far no other Character as interesting and dynamic as Morathi. 

Only Nagash is another one I consider interesting. 

Sigmar and the rest is bland. Even my second favorite, Allariell, doesn't have much going. 

Anyone else see the wonderful artwork of a Blood Stalker in the background of the Broken Realms website?

Maybe I'm just grasping at straws but the artwork of this snake lady sure looks like a similar style to the art on each Temple page in the battletome.  And considering there are only Scathborn in the Shadow and Pain box, I really hope the Zainthar Kai Temple is an all Melusai/Khinerai temple.

The hype is real though.  I literally started collecting Daughters of Khaine because of the Blood Stalkers and it's such a shame they are so inefficient as a unit.  Here's to hoping they (at least) have an updated warscroll with an unmodified 6 to mortal wound.  That's the minimum needed to make me actually field them again.

Blood Stalker.png

Edited by DJMoose

1 hour ago, Chumphammer said:

New warhammer community preview up for Broken realms

This was interesting:

"The Melusai Ironscale is an elite warrior of the Daughters of Khaine who can ignore the effects of spells and inspire nearby Melusai to greater deeds by murdering enemies in Khaine’s name."

IMG-20201101-WA0000.jpg

XbfGChsfhSOnen1F.jpg

Very excited to see it so early in the month. 

I too found the blurb on the ironscale interesting. Sounds like she'll have an ignore spells effect and/or bonus to unbinding. Hoping its like the fyreslayer nullsidian icon and gives a bubble. Also wonder how she's gonna "inspire nearby melusai"...🤔

• Like 1