AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

14 minutes ago, Orik Jarlson said:

So what do we think the go to arkanaut company load out is now?? I'm thinking volley gun & skyhook per 10 man 

I’m thinking the melee weapon is mandatory as well. You are only missing 2 pistol shots for a weapon that does way more damage, and with 9 inch effective range for pistols you will be charged the turn you shoot them.

In ships it also adds a dangerous weapon. And if our plus 1 to hit is in melee as well then it becomes 3up 4up rend 1 d3. With 2 attacks it’ll help a lot due to the two fight phases per round, and will pay its points back easily (and it’s free lmao)

and do not underestimate d3 damage. It does on average 1 damage a round for the enemy to save, but due to how swingy the weapon is (it has a potential to do 6 wounds) it’ll more likely do a ton every time it works and nothing 50 percent of the time. 

I know people tend to calculate averages but a 5 percent chance to kill 3 ardboys (I didn’t actually calculate the chance btw) will make the difference every once in awhile. And honestly I’m not so sure it’s worth giving up that threat for 2 pistol shots.

tldr: the melee weapon has a ton of potential damage, and that threat is worth the loss of 2 pistol shots

• Like 2

I have some questions.

1. Barak-zilfin command trait says 'general(must admiral) on the battlefield'. but admiral's command ability on warscroll only can be used in garrison except charge re-roll. So,  if my admiral is garrison, command trait is useless. isn't it?

2. Troops in garrison still can shooting, even if skyvessel ran?  

Thanks. 

8 minutes ago, sunderfire said:

I have some questions.

1. Barak-zilfin command trait says 'general(must admiral) on the battlefield'. but admiral's command ability on warscroll only can be used in garrison except charge re-roll. So,  if my admiral is garrison, command trait is useless. isn't it?

2. Troops in garrison still can shooting, even if skyvessel ran?  

Thanks. 

1. He is on the battlefield even when he is in a garrison. 

2. I dont think so. "Disengage" states they can shoot after retreating, but nothing about running.

24 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

1. He is on the battlefield even when he is in a garrison. 

2. I dont think so. "Disengage" states they can shoot after retreating, but nothing about running.

But  garrison part of core rule says like this: "Units that garrison a terrain feature are removed from the battlefield and are assumed to be ‘inside’ the terrain feature. Units must treat a terrain feature garrisoned by the enemy as if it were an enemy model." 

Core rule says "removed from the battlefield". What do you think of that?

Edited by sunderfire

So looking through the warscrolls some more in depth it seems our highest dmg output will be skywardens in Barak-Zon.

12 Skywardens on the charge all pikes buffed with a khemist then using their gold to re roll misses in melee.

Just over 12 at -1 from shooting

40 odd damage at -1 in melee

Which is pretty decent for a 400 point unit and 90 point hero buff.

-------------------

Just not sure if its worth dedicating to Barak-Zon and a deathstar unit for that one hit that also does need to be on the charge. Still it could be a useful counter punch to replace the old saw riggers unit (who arent terrible if you do the same double re rolls either and don't need the port as they will do 20 odd at -2)

1 hour ago, sunderfire said:

But  garrison part of core rule says like this: "Units that garrison a terrain feature are removed from the battlefield and are assumed to be ‘inside’ the terrain feature. Units must treat a terrain feature garrisoned by the enemy as if it were an enemy model." 

Core rule says "removed from the battlefield". What do you think of that?

I think this is a case of GW being GW.  The units are "on" the battlefield.  But the garrison rules about removing them from the battlefield are quite literal - as in, pick them up and take them off the table.

They still count as being on the battlefield, but inside the garrison.

1 hour ago, Gecktron said:

"Disengage" states they can shoot after retreating, but nothing about running.

Disengage is specifically for disengaging from combat.  Running is a different thing, so the disengage rule wouldn't address it.

If a model runs, it can't shoot.  So the ship can't shoot.  The units inside did not run, so there's nothing that says or implies that they can't shoot.

• Like 2

Was reading the warscroll for the Ironclad and Frigate and a question jumped out on me.

The Fly High states that you can retreat and disengage with the model etc etc, so if an enemy unit of flyers are within 3" when you fly high, you wouldn´t be able to shoot after the teleport?

if thats true, then the ability gets weaker, altho a free teleport is still awesome.

/Cheers Rangeltoft

3 minutes ago, Rangeltoft said:

The Fly High states that you can retreat and disengage with the model etc etc, so if an enemy unit of flyers are within 3" when you fly high, you wouldn´t be able to shoot after the teleport?

Funnily enough, I think the designers forgot that 'removing' and setting up again doesn't count as a retreat. 
image.png.d38f90395ed4f0c11c79b4d244271065.png

From my RAW understanding, you can shoot again if you 'Fly High' no matter what. From RAI standpoint, probably not. 

Quick Question on Barak Mhornar-

What is the point of the Command Trait?  First must be garrisoned so can't use with the new hero.  2nd, and more importantly, would you not be able to fly high to get to the same spot anyway?

I understand that it is before the the first turn but with no movement and no disembarking wouldn't it just be moving you into harms way for no real benefit?

I may be missing something because I am just coming back to the game but Barak Mhornar just seems really poor compared to the other options and I am glad I never made much progress painting the army with their color scheme previously.

1 hour ago, Fisdantilus said:

What is the point of the Command Trait?  First must be garrisoned so can't use with the new hero.  2nd, and more importantly, would you not be able to fly high to get to the same spot anyway?

I understand that it is before the the first turn but with no movement and no disembarking wouldn't it just be moving you into harms way for no real benefit?

I may be missing something because I am just coming back to the game but Barak Mhornar just seems really poor compared to the other options and I am glad I never made much progress painting the army with their color scheme previously.

What’s the wording on the command trait?

3 hours ago, Qaz said:

Funnily enough, I think the designers forgot that 'removing' and setting up again doesn't count as a retreat. 
image.png.d38f90395ed4f0c11c79b4d244271065.png

From my RAW understanding, you can shoot again if you 'Fly High' no matter what. From RAI standpoint, probably not. 

So our new, best ability is pretty easily neutered. It looks like NH, ID and anything that can charge us with flyers  will be pretty hard match up for us. 

Yeah, I agree with you. I don't get this this ability.

From what I can tell it gives you the same rules as fly high before round 1 starts but then you cant move round  turn one either. The only difference I see between this comand trait and fly high is that you don't need to be more than one inch away from a train feature. (Or at least that part is not stated in the rule, seems like an oversight to me however)

It would be one thing if you could exit the garrison turn one. But it spacificly sais you cant. 

Am I missing somthing on how powerful deploying on a train feature is? From what I remember are ships done benefit from cover because there huge...

Only advantage I'm seeing is being somwhere first if your gets first turn.

Barak Mhornar just seems really poor compared to the other options and I am glad I never made much progress painting the army with their color scheme previously.

Well I have 2500 points of painted Barak Mhornar. It's sad but this port  looks kinda bleak next to the other ones. I might try it out, but almost all Mhornar abilities can be used outside of the port and done better. Footnote and artifact seems to be interesting, but bravery debuff is pretty meh. 

2 hours ago, Fisdantilus said:

Honestly the color of your army doesnt matter. Play any skyport you want 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Borsuk said:

So our new, best ability is pretty easily neutered. It looks like NH, ID and anything that can charge us with flyers  will be pretty hard match up for us. 

If you're afraid of flyers, the Master of the Skies artycle let's you reroll hits of 1 against them with your ships.

The There's No Trading With Some People footnote would also allow you to over ride this restriction.

Adjusting your skyport based on your opponent has benefits.

Edited by plavski

Ok, that sounds better. Can we still take additional footnote? 

I am excited for the new battletome, but I still have this feeling that we need to make a lot of adjustments and there are bunch of  restrictions in using our abilities. Don't get me wrong, this makes game interesting, but I'm just wondering if our battletome isn't too restrictive. I guess we need some testing to know this. 

2 hours ago, Borsuk said:

Navigator yo, cut their movement in half from 36” away.

Edited by Nick907

1 minute ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Surely we can still shoot after Flying High? Haven’t seen anything concrete saying we can’t. Or am I missing something? It’s a pretty clutch ability to be gimped in that way. 

Yes we can. Unless there is flying enemy unit within 3 inches from the ship.

Navigator does make an interesting warlord. 

Wait here me out lol. All of his unique traits fix a weakness of the army.

our two greatest foes I would say are enemy casters and flyers. Of course allies can fix this but if you want to be pure KO then the navigator as a warlord gives you access to fairly powerful abilities when facing our weaknesses

buffing his ability to slow down enemy flyers, and adding plus 1 to his dispell and unbind are both amazing when facing our weakness. But of course weaker then taking an all comers warlord trait :(

also our frigates are pretty comparable with steam tanks in all honesty. Steam tanks are tougher and cheaper, but we have fly (very powerful) teleport (also quite strong) and the ability to retreat and shoot (I’m unsure if they have this ability lol maybe they do) and damage wise we are a teeny bit lower but not by that much I believe.

also the chemist has an interesting ability. At 90 points he’s a decent buff at least. I know he’s no where as good as his old self but at 90 pts and with his range s damage you’d struggle to find a character who can put out so much minus 2 rend shots. And his minus 1 to hit can be interesting in a lot of cases (useful for defending against monsters and powerful single models. Place him safely behind some arks with rerolls to saves on an objective to make an opponent fail miserably to kill 90 pts of infantry. That’ll make em cry)

of course against hordes or even mid sized elites he’s dumb as heck but at least the threat of minus 1 to a powerful model is there. Unless I misread it and it’s wholly within 3. Then he’s dumb. Go away Chemist :(