AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Morning all,

Here is the new thread for discussing Kharadron Overlords. With the imminent release of AoS 2 (and a lot of the info already being out there), now is the time for us to start afresh on TGA.

Moving forward, this will be the main thread to chat about and discuss Kharadron Overlords in the new edition. I still wholly encourage people to keep their own threads/army blogs within this sub forum and I also think those are a great place to share some photos as I know not everyone frequents the Painting & Modelling section (like me!). But this thread is purely for discussion around the faction, things such as (but not limited to) tactics and list building etc. You all know the drill, we've been doing it on this forum since inception!

For newer players, I would say the older thread could still be worth perusal and whilst it is now locked for further replies, you can find it here - http://www.tga.community/forums/topic/8925-lets-chat-kharadron-overlords/

Really excited to see what we can come up with as a community and I look forward to reading all your ideas and thoughts.

Chris

My 2 cents is this:

-At the cost of the lack of magic and the smaller range of models to choose from if you are the type of player whom prefers faction purity (working with Umgi? Never. Good for easy money of course), and the whole thing of the Overlords being about the boats, the boats really really need reworking on their statline. A higher than Average save would be a start.

As it stands, aside from the boats and the transportation shennanigans, the Overlords are comparatively very vanilla.

The points decreases were good, but by themselves it’s not enough.  The ships definitely need a boost in their saves.  They’re armour plated battleships for Grungni’s sake! :D

Also, has anyone noticed how...weak, our firearms actually are?  Compare a privateer pistol to a free guild or dispossessed issue firearm.  Yeah we have the range and extra shot and better accuracy but they don’t mean much.  Arkanauts are weak imo, when they need to be actual glass cannons.  1 wound and a weak save yes.  But guns that wound on a 3+ with -1 rend please!

Yeah our model range is so small. We need more anti-magic to stand out as well as dedicated melee and fully dedicated ranged troops. Too much of our units are suffering the multi purpose cost and suck at both things. Focused combat boats with no transport capacity would be greatly appreciated. Of all the bug brand new AoS armies ko have gotten the short end since launch. We need to give GW feedback that our army is in a terrible place. As a non-legacy army we should be a priority faction not taking second fiddle. 

Yeah, we need so much to make Kharadrons great again! Like new Battlelines, like "Battleline if", maybe make endrinrigger battleline if a endrinmaster is our general, skywardens as battleline would be a great reason to play them over riggers, and thunderes should be battleline to play a fluffy grundstock corp.

Also using the "new" garrison rules (althou they are old as aos itself, just beeing part of  scenery warscrolls instead of core rules) for airships and shoot the enemy from top of the deck and slay them in combat with our long spikey skypikes. Treat our ships as the mobile fortresses that they should be!

But all this is just "i wish we had..." and will probably never happen, sadly. Hope dies last, but instead of thinking of "what could be", maybe we should focus on what we have, and try to do the best of it.

Like, for example, our possibility to make all our heroes spellbinder +1, ally with the new stormcast mages and combine our firepower with endless spells, or using a lord ordinator to boost a horde of now cheap gunhauler; using the new realm abilitys and artefacts or just looking forward to play the new special skybattle battleplans.

I'm new here and this is one of my first posts, but i read the old Kharadron Thread for couple of days and just want to say: Stop thinking about things we don't have, stay focused, honour the Kodex. Look out for the possibilitys and always try to maximise the Profit! We are cloud riding sky pirate dwarfs with big ass guns, we will find a way to victory! Let's go fishing !

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Funstock Funhauler said:

Im very exited for the point decrease on the boats. Arriving with a fleet on the table will be awesome. I’m a bit sad they increased the points on the skywardens, though. Other than as a tax for using warscroll battallions, they most likely will not see any play.

I had a test run with my Kharadrons for the next edition with the leaked point costs last week at a 3000 points game. Sure, thats far removed from most games but I could make great use of the reduced point costs for our ships as I brought 5 of them (Ironclad/2 Frigats/2 Gunhaulers). I kept the Gunhaulers between my ships and the enemy horde and used them as glorified road block. 

The flagship ability of the Ironclad really shines with that number of ships, and the Lord-Ordinator buff is still great. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Gecktron said:

I had a test run with my Kharadrons for the next edition with the leaked point costs last week at a 3000 points game. Sure, thats far removed from most games but I could make great use of the reduced point costs for our ships as I brought 5 of them (Ironclad/2 Frigats/2 Gunhaulers). I kept the Gunhaulers between my ships and the enemy horde and used them as glorified road block. 

The flagship ability of the Ironclad really shines with that number of ships, and the Lord-Ordinator buff is still great. 

Lord ordinator is basically an autopick for us at this point right?

Are there any other "Order Warmachine" buffs that we have access to, from ironweald arsenal for example etc.

2 hours ago, Mohojoe said:

Lord ordinator is basically an autopick for us at this point right?

Are there any other "Order Warmachine" buffs that we have access to, from ironweald arsenal for example etc.

The Cogsmith can heal a single wound on a friendly warmachine within 4", making him a worse, much less synergistic Endrinmaster, but yeah it's really just the Lord-Ordinator.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

From AoS Facebook. I know they are not officially GW and just a community rep, but its at least a little reassuring. "Hey Bark - as we've said quite a few times now, there's updates coming across the length and breadth of Warhammer Age of Sigmar in anticipation of the new edition launching this weekend. We're sure there's plenty in store for the Kharadron Overlords and who knows what else the future may hold for them!"

All we can do is give them as much feedback from as much people as we can and hope they listen. 

Edited by Barkanaut
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Barkanaut said:

"Hey Bark - as we've said quite a few times now, there's updates coming across the length and breadth of Warhammer Age of Sigmar in anticipation of the new edition launching this weekend. We're sure there's plenty in store for the Kharadron Overlords and who knows what else the future may hold for them!"

Taking a bet nothing changes (in a revolunotionary way). 

• Like 1

I think the Malign Portents Errata is the most important one from this batch:

Page 80 – Including Harbingers of the Malign Portents Add:
‘The ‘Harbingers of the Malign Portents’ rule explains how to use Lord-Ordinators, Darkoath Warqueens, Knights of Shrouds and Fungoid Cave-Shamans in games of Warhammer Age of Sigmar which use the Malign Portents rules. The following rule can be used by players who wish to use these models in their armies in open, narrative or matched play games not using the Malign Portents rules.

Lord-Ordinators, Darkoath Warqueens, Knights of Shrouds and Fungoid Cave-Shamans can be included in any army that shares their Grand Alliance keyword. They are not treated as part of the player’s army for the purposes of defining its allegiance and what allegiance abilities it qualifies for.

Lord-Ordinators, Darkoath Warqueens, Knights of Shrouds and Fungoid Cave-Shamans can be given a command trait or artefact of power if they share the keyword of that army’s allegiance. However, a Lord- Ordinator, Darkoath Warqueen, Knight of Shrouds or Fungoid Cave-Shaman can be chosen as the army’s general even if they do not share the keyword of that army’s allegiance.

We can now make the Lord-Ordinator our warlord for that sweet, sweet command ability, even in normal games. 
Thank the ancestors, because I just finished my conversion for a count-as Lord-Ordinator :D 

129850643_WhatsAppImage2018-06-25at19_57_05.jpeg.33011c34bfe13f818c9b510fd12af0c1.jpeg

• Like 8

56 minutes ago, Luke.w said:

Grapnel launcher nerf? Did I read that right? Can no longer move within 3" of enemy units at any point during the move.

So the community team was indeed right and there was more to come to KO with AoS2 ?

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Luke.w said:

Grapnel launcher nerf? Did I read that right? Can no longer move within 3" of enemy units at any point during the move.

And can’t grapnel if they start within 3”. Bit like no shooting out of combat I suppose. I guess we could still do a normal retreat in the move phase and then grapnel as they haven’t banned that (yet ?)

20 minutes ago, Dez said:

So I've been Mr. Positive this whole time...but I think the new FAQ is telling. Telling me KO are fun to paint and convert off and on, and to think about a new tournament army.

I’m coming from ogors so I’m still positive haha! 

• Like 2