AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Sequitors with ward saves are great against the proc’ing mortals on 6 proliferation.  They are worse vs no rend, same vs -1 and better vs -2 than they were before, but don’t do as well as Liberators with All Out Defence.  I’m liking the bit of dichotomy there.

if cycle of the Storm stays, I’m happy.

Edited by Andalf

6 hours ago, PrimeElectrid said:

Obvious caveats about new battletome aside, Dracothian stonks are up. 3+ save reduce rend by 1, x2 for scoring, units of 4 don’t care for coherency, and you can make them fly.

Sequitors with a 5++ are 😘 just a shame about coherency in big units. A 10 might not be awful. Units of 5 are solid though and can threaten quite a lot.

Prosecutors and Libs don’t do as well out of the shield change but -1 rend is much better than rr1s imho.

Slight nerf to the stardrake but NBD.

Cant believe they left the Arcanums Prime Electrids nonfunctional though. Sloppy. 

Its a huge nerf to the Celestant on Stardrake becauaw rerolling 1s was the reason you picked him instead of the Drakesworn Templar.

Similarly this is a nerf to Dracoths. Rerolling 1 is much better than reducing rend by 1 on 3+ units. Also noticed they didnt add the ELITE tag like they did for some other units without champions.

I think Prime Electrids functions RAW its just not intuitive

Fun fact none of our units have KNIGHT or LORD keywords so our prayers are unusable right now. Thanks GW

Edited by PJetski
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I made a small game yesterday against some friends where we got to try and test the news rules and FAQ.

Sequitors are ok, on average they pretty much stay the same, still very good battlelines.
The "worsen" the rend by one is great, 5 of them got a bloodthirster tagged and destroyed it without help and only 2 of them died in the process.
Against these rend 2 attacks they are much better and i didn't even used a castellant in this game (which can significantly help them).

The 5+ ward they got helped me a lot against the volume of MW the DoK player had thrown to me during the combat phase.

I also played a small unit of 2 concussors, with a bit of buff they can be excellent.
Just using "celestial blades" on them combined with "all out attack" give their profile a much stable statline (hitting on 2+ wounding on 2+, MW on the shooting phase...etc).
You can throw them on rend 1 attacks pretty safely and use the "all out defense" to garantee their tankiness, this and the fact that they can prevent pile in with a 6 to hit make them really valuable for a small unit.

They are still very much weak to MW as always, also the fact that they don't have a champion is a bit of an annoyance since you have to keep a character close to be able to give these command abilities (so no solo missions for these dudes).

I played a lord arcanum on dracoline, the "cycle of the storm" still is a great ability, and with some regen/healing/resurect it can make our storms warriors really tough to kill (i'm thinking about the lord relictor here, also the banner of apotheosis or the healing spell from the lord arcanum on gryph charger).
I used the generic command trait to make this dude reroll one spell per hero phase and give him the arcane book to have a second spell available, really great.

I think this new version of age of sigmar will be fun, i can't wait to see how things will go.

To close this i'd say that even with 4+ save our sequitors/liberators will still be really great to play and that's the reason why i think they will not get the 3+ armor save.
you can give them a 3+ every turn anyway with the command ability and the fact that they ignore -1 rend makes them really durable.

• LOVE IT! 1

1 minute ago, jeanfluflu said:

I made a small game yesterday against some friends where we got to try and test the news rules and FAQ.

Sequitors are ok, on average they pretty much stay the same, still very good battlelines.
The "worsen" the rend by one is great, 5 of them got a bloodthirster tagged and destroyed it without help and only 2 of them died in the process.
Against these rend 2 attacks they are much better and i didn't even used a castellant in this game (which can significantly help them).

The 5+ ward they got helped me a lot against the volume of MW the DoK player had thrown to me during the combat phase.

I also played a small unit of 2 concussors, with a bit of buff they can be excellent.
Just using "celestial blades" on them combined with "all out attack" give their profile a much stable statline (hitting on 2+ wounding on 2+, MW on the shooting phase...etc).
You can throw them on rend 1 attacks pretty safely and use the "all out defense" to garantee their tankiness, this and the fact that they can prevent pile in with a 6 to hit make them really valuable for a small unit.

They are still very much weak to MW as always, also the fact that they don't have a champion is a bit of an annoyance since you have to keep a character close to be able to give these command abilities (so no solo missions for these dudes).

I played a lord arcanum on dracoline, the "cycle of the storm" still is a great ability, and with some regen/healing/resurect it can make our storms warriors really tough to kill (i'm thinking about the lord relictor here, also the banner of apotheosis or the healing spell from the lord arcanum on gryph charger).
I used the generic command trait to make this dude reroll one spell per hero phase and give him the arcane book to have a second spell available, really great.

I think this new version of age of sigmar will be fun, i can't wait to see how things will go.

To close this i'd say that even with 4+ save our sequitors/liberators will still be really great to play and that's the reason why i think they will not get the 3+ armor save.
you can give them a 3+ every turn anyway with the command ability and the fact that they ignore -1 rend makes them really durable.

Sequitors don’t get ignore rend 

11 minutes ago, PrimeElectrid said:

Sequitors don’t get ignore rend 

****** i played them all wrong.

I read the FAQ too fast and replaced all the "reroll 1 to save rolls" with "worsen the rend by 1".
Ignore what i said about sequitors then.

Edited by jeanfluflu

2 minutes ago, PrimeElectrid said:

Yeah they just straight up removed Soulshields (which is what gave rr1s) rather than replacing it with something else, which is a little strange. I guess they were worried about 3+/5++ ignore 1 rend, which feels tame but 🤷‍♂️

Well since it's how i played them i can tell you they feel really oppressive and solid in this configuration.
Let's say you have a castellant and get to make your 3+ reroll against rend 2 attacks, it means you have a 5+ reroll.

Here you have a 4+ ANd a 5+ ward wich is much better, if the goal was to make this unit less efficient it's a fail, i get why they decided to remove that.
This is still a nerf but in casual play such as i did sequitors are still pretty good so i'm not worried about them.

It gives sequitors a specific role too, i mean they can still carry 3 big maces that deals a lot of damages with a native reroll to hit (which can save you a command point to put a "all out attack" elsewhere).

Liberators are our chonky boyz (using them on a stormkeep for the native 3+ save ignoring rend is pretty good since you can boost them for a 2+ if needed).

Vindictors are the new boyz, stable, effectiv and with a better save but more expensive, it feels balanced this way so why not.

First game of 3rd edition tomorrow versus FEC. I don't have any of the new Dominion stuff, so I'm going to try the following Celestial Vindicators list to start:

Warlord Battalion

1 Knight-Zephyros 110 General, Single-Minded Fury, Stormrage Blade,
1 Knight-Incantor 130 Azyrite Halo, Arcane Bolt, Mystic Shield, Spirit Storm
1 Knight-Vexillor 120  
5 Decimators 185  

Battle Regiment      
1 Castellant 130 Amulet of Destiny (5+ Ward)
5 Sequitors 130  
5 Sequitors 130  
5 Judicators 150 Skybolt Bows, Shockbolt Bow

Hunters of the Heartlands

5 Retributors 205 2 Starsoul Maces
10 Phoenix Guard 175  

My opponent will have two blocks of 20 Ghouls so the Vexillor and Decimators will pair up in the sky, along with the Knight-Zephyros to target the Ghoul hero and arch-regent and make use of the ability to re-roll charges.

Phoenix Guard and Retributors are a hammer and anvil to tackle the Terrorgheist and/or Crypt Flayers, with the Judicators just sat off the Phoenix Guard for Unleash Hell and softening them up. The rest is there for objective scoring, dealing with summoned units and supporting should anything else go awry. I kept Sequitors for the 5+ ward against mortal wound damage from the Flayers/Terrorgheist.

With my former go-to of "try-not-to-die" Staunch Defender + Castellant + 10 Sequitors, this'll be bit more aggressive than I'd normally play!

27 minutes ago, jeanfluflu said:

Liberators are our chonky boyz (using them on a stormkeep for the native 3+ save ignoring rend is pretty good since you can boost them for a 2+ if needed)

Stormkeep gives +1 to save, so it's "native" 3+ and you can't stack other bonuses to get to 2+

2 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

Stormkeep gives +1 to save, so it's "native" 3+ and you can't stack other bonuses to get to 2+

Ok so to clarify whatever bonus you give to a unit (+1 to hit, to wound or to save) the bonus is always caped at +1 am i correct?

If you give +1 to save with a castellant for example and you then use your command ability to give another +1 to save you don't get the +2 to save because you can't stack more tahn one bonus is that it?

2 minutes ago, jeanfluflu said:

Ok so to clarify whatever bonus you give to a unit (+1 to hit, to wound or to save) the bonus is always caped at +1 am i correct?

If you give +1 to save with a castellant for example and you then use your command ability to give another +1 to save you don't get the +2 to save because you can't stack more tahn one bonus is that it?

correct, with one caveat: the +1 cap is the sum of all modifiers (rend included). So a few examples:

a unit with +1 save fighting vs 0 rend= +1 to save

a unit with +2 save fighting vs 0 rend= +1 to save

a unit with +2 save fighting vs 1 rend= +1 to save

• Thanks 1

So turns out I will be without kids till next Saturday and Dominion should arrive on Monday... Gonna challenge myself to paint the Stormcast part up in the 5 days of total freedom I will have.

But I will stick with the Gold/Magenta no time to waste on new color experiments :D

Edited by schwabbele