AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

38 minutes ago, mystycalchemy said:

It seems like a lot of people got their hands on battletomes? Or is there a leak with a buncha pictures somewhere that everyone's referencing?

Games Workshop sends advance copies to youtube channels, podcasters, bloggers and similar content creators so they can cover the book in question as it enters preorder and release.  Also some stores get advance copies people can look at to get excited about what they might buy if it sparks a cool idea.

I'd recommend the review episode of the Facehammer Podcast.  It's very thorough.

http://facehammer.co.uk/2018/07/01/episode-58-stormcast-eternals-battletome-review/

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nin Win said:

Games Workshop sends advance copies to youtube channels, podcasters, bloggers and similar content creators so they can cover the book in question as it enters preorder and release.  Also some stores get advance copies people can look at to get excited about what they might buy if it sparks a cool idea.

I'd recommend the review episode of the Facehammer Podcast.  It's very thorough.

http://facehammer.co.uk/2018/07/01/episode-58-stormcast-eternals-battletome-review/

Thanks, I'll try and give it a listen if I get time :)

I for one am happy with some of the point movements elsewhere within order. An Archmage at 100 is going to make it in to a few lists.

At 100 the Relictor is probably still under costed IMO.

400 for 6 Palladors is now a pretty solid deal.

Does anyone know if their mortal wound  output is now on a natural roll like the Retributor? If so then there really is zero worth in bringing that Neave Blacktalon battalion that could buff it.

15 minutes ago, tamthethird said:

I for one am happy with some of the point movements elsewhere within order. An Archmage at 100 is going to make it in to a few lists.

At 100 the Relictor is probably still under costed IMO.

400 for 6 Palladors is now a pretty solid deal.

Does anyone know if their mortal wound  output is now on a natural roll like the Retributor? If so then there really is zero worth in bringing that Neave Blacktalon battalion that could buff it.

yeah, everything is on a natural roll :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks! Ah well, guess if there’s no point in the Battalion then that’s 160 points to spend elsewhere...

Regarding Retributors... I mean, I will buy some Evocators because I like the models and the Wizard capability; but I’ll still field my Retributers because I have the models and my magic money tree which allows me to replace everything I own with the most hard-edged, min-maxed new hotness has shrivelled up and died in the uncommonly warm summer weather. Whelp.

• Like 2

I think the greatest strength of Stormcast now is going to be forcing your opponent to deploy in a way that minimizes their losses on turn 1 rather than positioning for objectives.  

In addition to hammers of sigmar, astral Templars will also have a solid alpha with their 6" pregame move.  

A mortal wound bomb will also probably be competitive, but I think it will take some tweaking.  Maybe an endless spell heavy warbringers list with the wizard battalion, cel prime and drakesworn.  From what I've seen of the Geminids they are every bit as powerful as people thought they would be.  

I also wouldn't discount a 60 sequitor list with Castellants and Arcanums to buff them.

I really think there are just a ton of options out there now.  The buff to Knight Azyros is huge now that it includes melee and you are guaranteed to be able to drop him in range with scions.  I could go on and on, but needless to say I think we got buffed immensely.  

One last thing:

Shock and awe.

I just can't overstate how powerful this is.

11 minutes ago, Morovir said:

Has there been any change in how dual-wielding weapons is handled for Liberators, as with how they currently are, it seems like the Knights Excelsior rules essentially render them obsolete?

They now gets an extra attack on rolls of 6 instead of rerolls of 1.

8 minutes ago, PJetski said:

So the Warrior Brotherhood is still legal...

Setting up a unit with Lightning Strike is different than setting it up with Scions, so RAW you can do a 1 drop null deployment army

Same goes for the Skyborne Slayers. We still havn't seen our Battletomes FAQ yet tho, it might change that.

Just wanted to hear some thoughts about potential 4 balistae lists paired up with an overpriced ordinator and an allied Celestal Hurricanum with battlemage?

Suddenly those Balistae can snipe heroes at 36" on a 2+, ignoring the look out sir, or just pump out dice on a 3+ at 18" range. 

I can understand that this is a silly venture to begin with. But I do think the celestal hurricanum can prove to be a valid asset to any attempt of a gunline and it's a mage in addition!

50 minutes ago, DioRa said:

Just wanted to hear some thoughts about potential 4 balistae lists paired up with an overpriced ordinator and an allied Celestal Hurricanum with battlemage?

Suddenly those Balistae can snipe heroes at 36" on a 2+, ignoring the look out sir, or just pump out dice on a 3+ at 18" range. 

I can understand that this is a silly venture to begin with. But I do think the celestal hurricanum can prove to be a valid asset to any attempt of a gunline and it's a mage in addition!

I've used the hurricanum in a gunline before. Alongside an Ordinator and 2 Helstorms along with longstrikes and judicators and at one point 30 Handgunners in a mixed list. It's an absolute mortal wound machine in addition to its buffs. 

2 hours ago, GlanceOnASix said:

What do you guys feel is the better option with Sequitors, the 3 attack 3s/3s/-/1 dmg hammers.  Or 4 attack 3s/4s/-/1 dmg swords. 

Thinking if I should clip the maces off my boys or not.

Swords are strictly superior baseline, but I will add that if you start buffing the # of attacks, hammers pull ahead after +2 (and equal at +1). Not sure what the restriction on spamming CPs are, but it could make a small difference if you're dumping everything into one big combat phase. 

4 hammers at 3/3 =  1.78 dmg

5 swords at 3/4     =  1.67 dmg

Edited by Freejack02
  • Like 1

Guys 1 question. If you play hammers of sigmar stormhost and a redeemer unit dies. You use 1 cp and roll, on 5+ it comes back. Lets say the roll fails, can you use the command ability again for the same unit? So if you have 3 cp roll 3 times?

Edited by Erdemo86

The difference between swords and maces on sequitors is largely academic.  If the unit is large, odds are you won't get any in range to attack because they'll be behind all your great maces.  And if the unit is small?  The difference between 4 mace and 6 sword attacks is miniscule (0.1111 dmg average vs 4+ save).  My advice is build them the way that looks cool to you!

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Erdemo86 said:

Guys 1 question. If you play hammers of sigmar stormhost and a redeemer unit dies. You use 1 cp and roll, on 5+ it comes back. Lets say the roll fails, can you use the command ability again for the same unit? So if you have 3 cp roll 3 times?

An interesting question, I'll have to look at the exact wording once I get my copy of the battletome.