AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

To have only one bad battalion is nothing to  complain about. I actually think the bullgor battalion is the weakest one. Extra piling  distance is a marginal benefit for bullgors, and is pretty close to irrelevant for doombulls and the monsters. 

The book has 5-6 battalions that are somewhere between pretty good and really good that allow for easy 1-3 drop armies. 

The book's biggest flaws in terms of battalions: 

• no monster focused battalion
  • no spawn, hounds, or non-ghorgon/cygor monsters in any battalion

----------

By the way, since nobody has talked about the most important part of this release.....what's up with the herdstone box? Its a two-part high quality box (lid and base) as opposed to the cheap cardboard that is usually used for GW packaging. I'm thinking of keeping the box for storing my cards (they fit perfectly in half of the box), dice and cards. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, decker_cky said:

By the way, since nobody has talked about the most important part of this release.....what's up with the herdstone box? Its a two-part high quality box (lid and base) as opposed to the cheap cardboard that is usually used for GW packaging. I'm thinking of keeping the box for storing my cards (they fit perfectly in half of the box), dice and cards. 

I noticed the same thing when I opened mine. I think I might take some time to make a few dividers for it so I can make it a long term carry case for all my 'extras'. 

33 minutes ago, decker_cky said:

To have only one bad battalion is nothing to  complain about. I actually think the bullgor battalion is the weakest one. Extra piling  distance is a marginal benefit for bullgors, and is pretty close to irrelevant for doombulls and the monsters. 

The book has 5-6 battalions that are somewhere between pretty good and really good that allow for easy 1-3 drop armies. 

The book's biggest flaws in terms of battalions: 

----------

I think the Warherd battalion is playable, the ability is pretty mediocre but it still reduces your drop count, gives you an artifact, and a command point. Most importantly, your not forced into taking brayherd units to get a battalion if thats something you want to avoid. In general though most people will favor of other battalions such as Desolating Herd. 

2 hours ago, decker_cky said:

Yea it's so weird that a few books have units that have no place in battalions.

Maybe it'll seem "forced" but I think every unit in a battletome should be in at least one battalion . I think seraphon did this no problem.

LoN also greatly suffers from this. Funny that their most popular battleline is 1. not repacked and 2. in 0 battalions.

even something "generic" like this could solve some of the missing in action problem (don't take this battalion seriously, I made it up in the past 10 minutes)

Spoiler

Warbeast Stampede

Xpts

Organization

1-4 BEASTS OF CHAOS MONSTERS that are Behemoths

4-10 units of Chaos Warhounds and/or Razorgors

Abilities

Pack Leaders: Increase the Bravery of the Battalion’s Chaos Warhounds and Razorgors by +2 if they are within 3” any of the Battalion’s MONSTERS.

Edited by kenshin620

2 hours ago, Pangu said:

I think the Warherd battalion is playable, the ability is pretty mediocre but it still reduces your drop count, gives you an artifact, and a command point. Most importantly, your not forced into taking brayherd units to get a battalion if thats something you want to avoid. In general though most people will favor of other battalions such as Desolating Herd. 

I’ll be running my warherd as the khorne battalion. Can still be all warherd, but much better bonuses. Not to reopen the debate, but my one concern is that even if we get a FAQ  that allows me to take the battalion in a khorne army, I won’t be able to run a full warherd with a Bloodsecrator, as I think Bullgor are only battleline with a Doombull in a BoC army. Oh well, have bought a herdstone anyway, might as well use it!

8 hours ago, Baron Wastelands said:

I’ll be running my warherd as the khorne battalion. Can still be all warherd, but much better bonuses. Not to reopen the debate, but my one concern is that even if we get a FAQ  that allows me to take the battalion in a khorne army, I won’t be able to run a full warherd with a Bloodsecrator, as I think Bullgor are only battleline with a Doombull in a BoC army. Oh well, have bought a herdstone anyway, might as well use it!

Hopefully with the faq you will be able to ally khorne units into beasts of chaos.  A bloodsecrator would be an awesome addition to that battalion.  Ghorgons would be beastly with all the extra attacks you can pile on them.

1 hour ago, Kevlar1972 said:

Hopefully with the faq you will be able to ally khorne units into beasts of chaos.  A bloodsecrator would be an awesome addition to that battalion.  Ghorgons would be beastly with all the extra attacks you can pile on them.

The FAQ wont change the allies list. Its StD or bust.

The only the the FAQ might do is give Brass Despoilers the Khorne keyword, so that you can bring that battalion and its units as part of a Blades of Khorne army.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Baron Wastelands said:

Actually it should be possible to bring the battalion into a Khorne army. When we look at the FAQ point with Battalions and allies, it says that you have to use the Faction that is listet over the Titel or grand Allegiance or all units are allies.

Q: The rules say that a warscroll battalion can include allies
and that they don’t count against the number of allies in the
army. Does this rule only apply to battalions that share the
same allegiance as the army, but that have units from two
different factions (a battalion in a Daughters of Khaine army
that has Daughters of Khaine and Stormcast Eternals units,
for example)?
A: Yes. The faction a warscroll battalion belongs to is
shown on its warscroll, above the title of the battalion.

In addition, the battalion is assumed to belong to the
Grand Alliance that its faction is a part of. Warscroll
battalions that share the same allegiance as an army
can always be taken as part of the army, and if they
include any allied units, these units do not count against
the limits on the number of allies the army can have
(or against the points limit that can be spent on allies
in a Pitched Battle). An army can include a warscroll
battalion of a different allegiance to the rest of the
army, but if it does so the units in it do count against the
limits on the number of allies the army can have (and
the points for the battalion and the units in it count
against the points limit that can be spent on allies in a
Pitched Battle).

Did anyone noticed something when comparing a 2.0 Warscroll Battalion with the older ones?

fNu28ZiqM3WDQIo_4bd5Vx2_laskakjTvmLqcnWG

The new Battalions don't have a faction shown above the Warscroll title. The new warscrolls bypass the FAQ because they don't have the requirement that would make them allies outside of beasts of chaos.

If they get a godkeyword through a battalion, they can be part of a god army, like Slaves of Darkness can.

Edited by EMMachine

What you think about this list?.

Allegiance: Beasts Of Chaos
- Greatfray: Gavespawn
Beastlord (90)
- General
Dragon Ogor Shaggoth (180)
Great Bray Shaman (100)
Great Bray Shaman (100)
30 x Bestigors (300)
10 x Bestigors (120)
30 x Gors (210)
- Gor-Blades & Beastshields
10 x Ungors (60)
- Shortspears & Half-Shields
1 x Tuskgor Chariots (60)
1 x Chaos Spawn (50)
Desolating Beastherd (150)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 1480 / 1500
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 116

1 hour ago, Entombet said:

What you think about this list?.

Allegiance: Beasts Of Chaos
- Greatfray: Gavespawn
Beastlord (90)
- General
Dragon Ogor Shaggoth (180)
Great Bray Shaman (100)
Great Bray Shaman (100)
30 x Bestigors (300)
10 x Bestigors (120)
30 x Gors (210)
- Gor-Blades & Beastshields
10 x Ungors (60)
- Shortspears & Half-Shields
1 x Tuskgor Chariots (60)
1 x Chaos Spawn (50)
Desolating Beastherd (150)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 1480 / 1500
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 116

why 30 Bestigors ? Isnt it better to split them because you than can target them better at enemy units . In the Block of 30 mybe 15 will be in combat at best and its harder to micromanage the unit ? is there something iam missing here ?

1 hour ago, EMMachine said:

The new Battalions don't have a faction shown above the Warscroll title. The new warscrolls bypass the FAQ because they don't have the requirement that would make them allies outside of beasts of chaos.

Q: Some warscroll battalions included in battletomes do not have a faction listed above their title. How do I determine which faction they belong to for the purposes of allegiance abilities?

A: The battalion belongs to the battletome’s faction. For example, the warscroll battalions in Battletome: Stormcast Eternals are part of the Stormcast Eternals faction.

The "bypass" you are speaking of is most likely only an oversight about the previous FAQ-wording.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Congratz said:

So guys which "Alligence" do you think is best?
Allherd , Gavespawn or Darkwalkers.

I Believe It Mostly depends, The gretfrays give You Some Specialization, You Want to ambush? Darkwalkers; Summon? Allherd; gavespawn, I think, gives Your army More attacks to Your Units (Command ability) and a Awesome Fighting Hero (beastlord+artifact) 

2 hours ago, Congratz said:

So guys which "Alligence" do you think is best?
Allherd , Gavespawn or Darkwalkers.

Dark walkers are great for ambushing units like Bullgors.

the other greatfrays are also a great option in their own.

as for my own oppinion I would have to say, that I find the  Gavespawn very enjoyable.

not only is the fluff really great, but even the idea of a greatfray who worship the chaos spawn, a lowly mutated, usually unwanted chaos warrior who didn’t do what the chaos god wanted from him, beeing supported into the rules are great.

Edited by Skreech Verminking

7 hours ago, EMMachine said:

Did anyone noticed something when comparing a 2.0 Warscroll Battalion with the older ones?

5 hours ago, Xasz said:

The "bypass" you are speaking of is most likely only an oversight about the previous FAQ-wording.

Not to mention Nighthaunt Players tried to do that.

GW shut them down. They specifically FAQ'd Nighthaunt Battalions in Legions of Nagash being allies. And yes, NH players tried to make the same argument "they didn't have allegiance on the battalion".

2 hours ago, Saiken said:

From what I understand it depends on your playstyle quite a bit.

Allherd being probably the least interesting on this regard. 

Darkwalkers if you're planning to ambush a lot. And Gavespawn for the annoyance it is for your opponent to make a target choice.

I think Allherd has a very interesting application, making Chaos Gargants more reliable if they hug the general!

Edited by kenshin620
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

Not to mention Nighthaunt Players tried to do that.

GW shut them down. They specifically FAQ'd Nighthaunt Battalions in Legions of Nagash being allies. And yes, NH players tried to make the same argument "they didn't have allegiance on the battalion".

I think Allherd has a very interesting application, making Chaos Gargants more reliable if they hug the general!

I'm not sure how effective that whipping is though.  They lose quite a bit of power down a couple wounds. 

34 minutes ago, Kevlar1972 said:

I'm not sure how effective that whipping is though.  They lose quite a bit of power down a couple wounds. 

Even if you don't want to whip them, you can use a GBS to boost them. Not saying Gargants are the end all monster, but Allherd can help their "banana peel slip" problem!

I think the best independent monster might be the Ghorgon. He doesn't benefit too much from GBS vs the Gargant or Chimera so you don't have to baby sit him, can heal himself if lucky, and can eat important people from a unit like unit champions!