AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Here's my Warherd army (not showing my 2 Mindstealer Sphiranxes and Khorne DP allies).  I was gonna buy a Skryre army but now I might need to get some more Dragon Ogors or Shaggoth or Ghorgons and Cygors, etc.

Still, be aware a deepstriking Magmadroth or bumrushing Gatebreaker can crumble the Herdstone!

IMG_20220123_222533.jpg

Edited by Lord Krungharr
forgot picture
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Still, be aware a deepstriking Magmadroth or bumrushing Gatebreaker can crumble the Herdstone!

Haha, there’s a nice poetic irony here of the destroyers of civilization/buildings needing to safeguard a structure in the first place. xD 

I really like this though and hope more factions have to be more concerned about their terrain as a keystone of their strategies to balance out that it’s free. That also gives the rampaging monsters more value and fits the current narrative theme of settlers & invaders huddling around their places of safety in new lands outside the innerlands teeming with stampeding giant horrors and wild forces of nature wiping out everything in their path.

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 1

Yeah, Dragon Ogres seem very fun. Decent access to heals, buffs from Shaggots and they can grind out with (eventual) access to Rend -3 and 2" range.

Someone will need to do the math on all the weapon options, but getting 6 attacks at rend 1/2 will no doubt be pretty good.

Thunderscorn have a spell to buff an extra pip of rend if need be too...! Also a spell to heal and grant full wound re-rolls, which is pretty gnarly.

2 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

I imagine 2x30 Bestigors (can they be Battleline) running around with rend -3. well that’s scary.

Not sure about that. I dont think they are as viable option as before, when put next to Bullgors and Dragon Ogors. Those two on the other hand have gotten pretty great with their current price tag. Though I still wish Drag Ogs would become a proper 180/200 tanky, scary elite unit their fluff makes them out to be.

Kinda sucks for me personally, since they were my favorite "elite" unit and I loved using bunch of them (and I have only 9 bulls and 6 drag ogs build so yeah :D ).

Edit: But I might be completely wrong here, since Brayherd units are really fast, and that extra rend does lend quite a power spike against certain targets. I think MSU bestigors with this will be even scarier since they essentially become possible character/elite/monster assassins. The big blobs though I still think wont stand up next to the other two options.

Edited by Myrdin

So I will be playing a game of aos tonight.

With the new updated rules for the beasts o’ chaos, I’m very much likely going to dust of my collection and get it ready for tonight.

My list will have a number of units able to use the newest rules.

Allegiance: Beasts of Chaos
- Greatfray: Gavespawn
- Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Grand Strategy: None Chosen - Triumphs: Inspired
LEADERS
Beastlord (95)***
- General
- Command Trait: Unravelling Aura - Artefact: Mutating Gnarlblade
Dragon Ogor Shaggoth (155)*
- Lore of Dark Storms: Sundering Blades
Great Bray-Shaman (100)*
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Vicious Stranglethorns
Tzaangor Shaman of Beasts of Chaos (135)*
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Wild Rampage
UNITS
1 x Chaos Spawn (55)*
- Mark of Chaos: Tzeentch
10 x Bestigors (135)*** 10 x Bestigors (135)*** 10 x Bestigors (135)***
3 x Dragon Ogors (125)
- 01 x Paired Ancient Weapons - 02 x Draconic War glaives
3 x Dragon Ogors (125)
- 03 x Draconic Crushers
3 x Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc of Beasts of Chaos (180) 10 x Gors (75)
  - Gor-Blades & Beastshields
BEHEMOTHS
Ghorgon (155)** Jabberslythe (165)** Chimera (220)** CORE BATTALIONS *Warlord **Alpha-Beast Pack ***Vanguard
   TOTAL: 1990/2000
LEADERS: 4/6
ARTEFACTS: 1/1 ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS: 0/3
BATTLELINES: 4 (3+)
BEHEMOTHS: 3/4
ARTILLERY: 0/4 ALLIES: 0/400

Sadly I do not own a cygor, so one monster will be missed 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

So I will be playing a game of aos tonight.

With the new updated rules for the beasts o’ chaos, I’m very much likely going to dust of my collection and get it ready for tonight.

My list will have a number of units able to use the newest rules.

Allegiance: Beasts of Chaos
- Greatfray: Gavespawn
- Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Grand Strategy: None Chosen - Triumphs: Inspired
LEADERS
Beastlord (95)***
- General
- Command Trait: Unravelling Aura - Artefact: Mutating Gnarlblade
Dragon Ogor Shaggoth (155)*
- Lore of Dark Storms: Sundering Blades
Great Bray-Shaman (100)*
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Vicious Stranglethorns
Tzaangor Shaman of Beasts of Chaos (135)*
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Wild Rampage
UNITS
1 x Chaos Spawn (55)*
- Mark of Chaos: Tzeentch
10 x Bestigors (135)*** 10 x Bestigors (135)*** 10 x Bestigors (135)***
3 x Dragon Ogors (125)
- 01 x Paired Ancient Weapons - 02 x Draconic War glaives
3 x Dragon Ogors (125)
- 03 x Draconic Crushers
3 x Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc of Beasts of Chaos (180) 10 x Gors (75)
  - Gor-Blades & Beastshields
BEHEMOTHS
Ghorgon (155)** Jabberslythe (165)** Chimera (220)** CORE BATTALIONS *Warlord **Alpha-Beast Pack ***Vanguard
   TOTAL: 1990/2000
LEADERS: 4/6
ARTEFACTS: 1/1 ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS: 0/3
BATTLELINES: 4 (3+)
BEHEMOTHS: 3/4
ARTILLERY: 0/4 ALLIES: 0/400

Sadly I do not own a cygor, so one monster will be missed 

Why go Gavespawn?

3 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Because they are a lot of fun.

and well the ca the chaos spawn gets is an amazing trait, the same could be said about the the mutating blades.

But your lists is almost entirely hammers with only one spawn. Doesnt seem a good choice to take a sub-faction based around a single 5w model. Now if you had more spawns to possibly spread around the CA then I can see that working.

20 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

But your lists is almost entirely hammers with only one spawn. Doesnt seem a good choice to take a sub-faction based around a single 5w model. Now if you had more spawns to possibly spread around the CA then I can see that working.

Well officially, I would have 6 chaos spawns, should my heroes die, sadly and the truth is currently I only own 2.

• Like 1

This update is pretty big honestly. 

First thoughts on everything 

I think bringing 2 Monsters is fine (not counting Shaggoth) so Cockatrices, Chimera, or Ghorgons are all fine. Cygor only if you need to remove Endless spells.

1. Bullgors has 2 weapons are are good now, Paired and Great. I feel Paired might be the better pick now. 
  2. Bestigors still are meh to bring but 1 unit should be ok to bring now with -2/3 rend. 
  3. Beastlord is slightly more optional now with -2/3 rend as a support hero. Gavespawn got a boost over all now too. 
  4. +1PCP every player turn is very good!
  5. Allherd might be crazy good with +1PCP every turn, given CP that is 1 summoning every turn no matter what. 
  6. Enlighten are just better and always were great. 
  7. All Chaff got batter, DO's, Centigors, Hounds, etc.. bc -1 rend, still be careful bc many armies has ignore -1 rend units. Turn 3 this skyrockets making summoning turn 3 a lot more interesting. Heck this helps Cockatrice spam too lol.
  8. Ghorgons seem a lot stronger now, still glass cannons but high rend and healing, for sure an support bruiser.
  9. Herdstone can be placed almost anywhere and not care now. 
  10. TEoF got a huge boost (any unit going from -1 to -2 rend did, but being so cheap already this is very important)
  11. Rally can be clutch good for us, but at the cost of no Immune Bravery, 3-6 mans might be the sweet spot now and 10man units less so.

New White Dwarf rules to remember for list building 

1. BoC Monstrous Rampages (some) can work against Hunters of the Heartland battalion bc they do not pick those units. 
  2. Monstrous Rampages can work not in combat, Primal Road can give 1 PCP turn 1.
  3. Thunderscorn can heal while not in combat, so can sac to stone without worry about bravery
  4. Herdstone starts at 12" but table wide bonus to rend in melee, can hide it easier now and still be useful. 
  5. Sevireth Scour doesn't smash terrain for purpose of Smash and Grand Strat

Overall we got a good power boost, with 1-2 more summons a game, getting to the -2 rend so much easier now. The Herdstone not needing to be up front is also a good boost. We still are a glass army though and that is fine. 

• Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Well officially, I would have 6 chaos spawns, should my heroes die, sadly and the truth is currently I only own 2.

Fair fair. Though I dont think I like the idea of my heroes dying to provide that bonus either lol but im sure your no stranger to leaders dying for various reasons, rat-beast

19 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Fair fair. Though I dont think I like the idea of my heroes dying to provide that bonus either lol but im sure your no stranger to leaders dying for various reasons, rat-beast

There hasn’t been a single game were one of my heroes hasn’t died.

Heroes of the beasts o’ chaos are extremely easy to kill-kill,

and well my skaven heroes usually just blow themselves up, nothing I haven’t seen yet

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Salyx
Did the math on the Dragon Ogors.
image.png.90b0aeb1dbde8efbe7d39026ce04a809.png

Glaives are the worst option, period, they match the paired and 2HW vs a 2+ save.
The paired weapons and great weapons are the exact same, although the paired weapons are probably better because they're less swingy (6 damage 1 vs 3 damage 2) and they aren't hurt by damage reduction effects. This math is for 3 of them.

Its important to remember that crushers have an advantage to paired when it comes to bonus attacks. It you prefer to play Gavespawn it might be better to have crushers in that case.

Glaives by far are the worse option currently. Though I wouldn't rule them out completely. While I would never take a full unit of them I find having one for every 3 be a Glaive to be useful. I always found the extra rend and reach to be helpful.

6 hours ago, Maddpainting said:

This update is pretty big honestly. 

First thoughts on everything 

I think bringing 2 Monsters is fine (not counting Shaggoth) so Cockatrices, Chimera, or Ghorgons are all fine. Cygor only if you need to remove Endless spells.

But aren't Cygors useful cuz they're super cheap monsters and can chuck boulders from the back at weakling heroes?  Figured with the stomp and Warherd charge they can do some MW easily enough.

3 hours ago, Ganigumo said:

@Salyx
Did the math on the Dragon Ogors.
image.png.90b0aeb1dbde8efbe7d39026ce04a809.png

Glaives are the worst option, period, they match the paired and 2HW vs a 2+ save.
The paired weapons and great weapons are the exact same, although the paired weapons are probably better because they're less swingy (6 damage 1 vs 3 damage 2) and they aren't hurt by damage reduction effects. This math is for 3 of them.

You only take Glaives when you have 6mans and you need the Reach. 

Paired and Crushers will be the same always but Paired will have more granularity to them which IMO makes them better, they will also be better in niche situations of -1D. 

9 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

But aren't Cygors useful cuz they're super cheap monsters and can chuck boulders from the back at weakling heroes?  Figured with the stomp and Warherd charge they can do some MW easily enough.

Cygor have actually been pretty ok in my last games. Especially with Teclis becoming less dominant in our meta. Meaning he can still snipe wizards and if he doesn't it's because my opponent has an unreasonable fear of him.

Hi i whant to start Warherd but i'm new on herd 😍 some ideas ? I really love bulls and Ghorghons i whatn to mame some Khorne themed army

- Army Faction: Beasts of Chaos
     - Subfaction: Gavespawn
LEADERS
Doombull (115)
     - General
     - Command Traits: Unravelling Aura
     - Artefacts of Power: Mutating Gnarlblade
Great Bray-Shaman (100)
     - Artefacts of Power: The Knowing Eye
     - Spells: Wild Rampage
Great Bray-Shaman (100)
Dragon Ogor Shaggoth (155)
     - Artefacts of Power: Amulet of Destiny
     - Spells: Thunderwave
BATTLELINE
6 x Bullgors (260)
6 x Bullgors (260)
6 x Bullgors (260)
10 x Gors (75)
BEHEMOTH
1 x Ghorgon (155)
1 x Ghorgon (155)
1 x Ghorgon (155)
1 x Ghorgon (155)
OTHER
1 x Chaos Spawn (55)
TERRAIN
1 x Herdstone (0)
CORE BATTALIONS
 -  *Warlord
 -  **Warlord
 -  ***Alpha-Beast Pack
TOTAL POINTS: 2000/2000
Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

Edited by Skarband

Cygors might not be so bad rn actually. Their shooting is unreliable at best with hitting on 4*, but the fact they can help you generate extra summoning points while also chugging boulders, and scaring of small chaff with that -1 rend in cc as well, they seems like decent option. 2 of them dont cost so much to become to big of a liability I think.