AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness / Darkoath Discussion

Gaz Taylor

10 hours ago, Battlefury said:

That's what we thought with BoK too ;D

The difference is, that StD and to be honest Everchosen do not really have a book to begin with. On top of their poorly aged Warscrolls.

Regarding Khorne, that the new book was't going to be good news (however one might interpret this) was pretty much expected from the start. Now you either deal with it or shelve the army for now, the choice is yours.

Either way, this is the Slaves to Darkness topic.

Edited by Xasz
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2019 at 8:19 AM, Charlo said:

I think keeping StD/ Darkoath as "unmarked" in general but adding very flexible battalions (ala Beasts of Chaos) to gain marks would be an excellent way of doing it.

It means you can write a more focused ruleset with internal synergy, as opposed to having to worry about every unit having a unique interaction with 5 different marks across four other main allegience abilities.

Are you serious?

Marking Chaos warriors to serve the god of your liking is the main reason to play them. The other Battletomes are extremely demon heavy. The Slaves of Darkness only reason of existence is to fill those armies with heavy armored mortals.

The problem is their outdated rules, not the way how to play them.

If we change the way to play them, how they look and their names, it's not StD anymore you know.

• Like 2

On 7/25/2019 at 3:17 PM, Battlefury said:

That's what we thought with BoK too ;D

There is no way to make BoK a good army. Doesn't matter how many books you get.

It's just in their nature of not taking part in 2/3 of the game and being average in 1/3 of the game.

They are just made to be a punching bag for new players who will most likely play Stormcast.

Deal with it

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Kurrilino said:

Yes i did, they are one of the weakest in the game. What is to see here?

Weakest in the game... I'm not sure how you play AoS but furies have an extremely powerful rule.

Iron Golems might be the best chaff/blocker units in the game.

Untamed Beast are ok, useful if you live in a meta with a lot of alternative deployment tricks.

If you just want more infantry hammers, the sure they are "weak".

On 7/24/2019 at 6:43 AM, Xasz said:

To be honest, the moment Warcry was announced for summer there was no way that a battletome would drop around the same time frame, at least for me ("rival" product that might take sales away from the boxed game, now chaos enthusiasts have to buy Warcry to get their fix). End of 2019 is now a pretty good guess I would assume. Some build up with a couple of "good" armies and then Archaon starts his campaign.

Concerning squatting, I think StD and Everchosen stuff is rather save thanks to Warcry, art and books, at least the non-resin part.

I can't see that. we still have the new undead army from the tithe and the ogres to contend with, in addition to orruks and cities of sigmar.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kurrilino said:

There is no way to make BoK a good army. Doesn't matter how many books you get.

It's just in their nature of not taking part in 2/3 of the game and being average in 1/3 of the game.

They are just made to be a punching bag for new players who will most likely play Stormcast.

Deal with it

where the hell are you getting at. 

My mate at the FLGS regularly wins with BoK, although generally it is majority BoK mixed with khorne demons.

buffing with bloodsecrators and slaughterpriests are off the chain.

1 hour ago, Lord marcus said:

where the hell are you getting at. 

My mate at the FLGS regularly wins with BoK, although generally it is majority BoK mixed with khorne demons.

buffing with bloodsecrators and slaughterpriests are off the chain.

Well then you must have an extreme low skill group you are playing in.  Like getting injured while tying shoes low skill.

I don't know any gaming group or any mayor or minor tournament where BoK are even remotely relevant.

Just because someone wins games in your local store doesn't mean an army is functional or not.

Again, you have magic/shootin/fighting phases. Khorne skips  2 of those phases and are mediocre at fighting. It's just natural baby seal clubbing against those helpless dudes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kurrilino said:

Well then you must have an extreme low skill group you are playing in.  Like getting injured while tying shoes low skill.

I don't know any gaming group or any mayor or minor tournament where BoK are even remotely relevant.

Just because someone wins games in your local store doesn't mean an army is functional or not.

Again, you have magic/shootin/fighting phases. Khorne skips  2 of those phases and are mediocre at fighting. It's just natural baby seal clubbing against those helpless dudes.

How is a bloodthirstier mediocre at fighting?

1 hour ago, Kurrilino said:

Maybe take a look at the GT rankings before making these claims. You must be blind, like walking into bright neon signs blind, not to see Khorne lists consistently place top 10. Looking at AoS shorts and bad dice rankings they are not broken but they do compete every time. So the big talk ‘you must have an extreme(ly) low skill group’ is a bit misplaced imo. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Lord marcus said:

How is a bloodthirstier mediocre at fighting?

He is not, it's the army as a whole that doesn't work well.

If the Bloodthirster can't hit, he is useless. I usually play a Nurgle army with -3 to hit and reroll 6's to hit.

Any Khorne Army who plays against this is doomed from the beginning.

Anyways, back to StD topic

2 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

@Charleston last point if I may...

@Kurrilino look up CanCon... largest AOS tournament in the Southern Hemisphere (192 players)... won by Khorne... 

Yeah great, i knew you guys will pick this one.

Problem here is that there are painting, secondaris, sportman and stuff scores.  If you take those out he isn't even top 10 anymore.

And if you even care to take a real look you can see that the people who really scored high got low sportsmanship scores.

And of course you forgot to mention that beside this tournament the best scores BoK got in tournaments were 10th and 32nd.

Beside that they are not relevant at all. I wouldn't call this competitive.

• Thanks 1

Your direct quote: "I don't know any gaming group or any major or minor tournament where BoK are even remotely relevant." 

Your ignorant comment has been called out but the results are not relevant because you say so? You are starting to embarrass yourself now champ... He won 5 out of 5 games at Cancon. Cant do any better then that. He also won a highly competitive follow up 60 player tournament. Also 10th place at a tournament is not a terrible finish. Plenty of  better players/armies finish lower.

Point is Khorne functions fine as an army for many players. If it doesnt work for you thats fine, dont play them. But dont jump on here talking shite and turning new players off because of your own bias (or worse, condescending the level of another player's local meta that you know nothing about- that was just about one of the lowest comments I've seen someone make anywhere on this forum), then talking even more ****** when you get called out. 

I suggest using your salt for the chip on your shoulder and not for poor comments on this forum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

Speaking of warcry warscrolls (for our Warhammer wargame) I definitely like the look of iron golems for holding objectives, cheaper than my chaos warriors and with that nice rerollable save, I can definitely see myself gravitating toward them. I'll admit I'm disappointed with the cypher lord warscrolls as they just don't seem all that useful, the 4+ chance for a -1 to hit is a bit disappointing but as I want them for warcry I'm sure I'll give them a go in AoS and see if they can support some of my other units well. I'm interested to see what the warscrolls for the new bands will be like as all the warcry units seem to be based around some kind of ability to add to your army as opposed to just being beatsticks.

2 hours ago, PainfullyMediocre said:

So new Warscrolls are up, i'm interested in The Unmade, they've got a small bravery debuff and stop retreats, but the unit leader has 1"/3/4+/3+/-1/2 which is quite nice for what is essentially a chaff unit.

Call me insane but the Warcry models (The Unmade especially) and the love of the new and old mortal models made me buy the warband box before it gets discontinued (maybe not at full price if you catch my drift). 

I look forward to testing out normal StD list jamming some Unmade in there 🤣

I'm torn over grabbing cheap split box Untamed beasts or getting a slaves battlebox - I think GW is making the warbands very easy to use in AoS - they are priced about the same as regular troops (if a bit overpriced compared to some but about in line with what they charge now for troops); but their rules are simple and elegant and easy to use with any warband you build.  Plus they've so much character to them

A wild group of Untamed Beasts with several large cats charging forward; a unit of Unmade charging forth bringing the horrors of Chaos; the sepentine stealth; gladiators etc.. 

Edited by Overread
  • LOVE IT! 1