AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Got my first 3.0 battle on Monday. Not sure what I am up against, possibly stormcast including stuff from dominion. So the first group of models sent to die will be

Blood secrator, general, bezerker lord, banner of wrath

Chaos lord on manticore, gorecleaver on lance

daemon prince, Mark of the slayer

slaughterpriest, curse

blood stoker Skarr bloodwrath

Fleshhounds 5

flesh hounds 5

blood reavers 10

chaos warriors 10

skull reapers 5

skull reapers 5

wrathmongers 5

chaos spawn

using vanguard, command entourage and vanguard battalions

I am treating this one as a learning experience

pics of the slaughter to follow 

• Like 2

I agree, it's good to try out the smorgasboard to see who can do what successfully.  You have a good variety pack of units.  I'm curious to see how Wrathmongers and Skullreapers fare; the Wrathmongers are looking good at units of 10 I think these days with their 2" reach but those models always get all tangled up on me with the chains.  Never tried swinging around a sledgehammer head welded to a chain before.  That might be cool to try!

• Like 1

More of a S2D question but I have a khorne calv. list with some knights, and interested in marauder horsemen. Their speed, feign ability and 2"/12"  javelins seem like an impressive utility unit.

Ive read about lots of movement and hold shenanigans in the wider game (lumineth) and curious if horsemen can punch above their weight, and act as effective screen for knights/skullcrushers, or should get some furies or so.

Edited by CrimsonKing
jav/range edit

1 hour ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I agree, it's good to try out the smorgasboard to see who can do what successfully.  You have a good variety pack of units.  I'm curious to see how Wrathmongers and Skullreapers fare; the Wrathmongers are looking good at units of 10 I think these days with their 2" reach but those models always get all tangled up on me with the chains.  Never tried swinging around a sledgehammer head welded to a chain before.  That might be cool to try!

I think skull reapers will still be ok, just expensive. I am planning to replace with slave knights to free up 35 points a unit.

The wrathmongers should be fun w curse an skarr. Curse the target and attack, plus pile in w Skarr to benefit from curse again.

Daekon prince will allow them to reroll hits of 1.

Blood secrator will be a danger thing with the wrath banner, people will need to hack through the chaos warrior body guard and then his 3+ with a ward of 5+. I can stick him in the alter too. Every combat round he will pump out MW 

everything else just needs to die

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

More of a S2D question but I have a khorne calv. list with some knights, and interested in marauder horsemen. Their speed, feign ability and 2"/9" spears seem like an impressive utility unit.

Ive read about lots of movement and hold shenanigans in the wider game (lumineth) and curious if horsemen can punch above their weight, and act as effective screen for knights/skullcrushers, or should get some furies or so.

There is good value in Khorne slaves. The horses bring a fair few benefits we don’t normally have.

I would def also add in a lord on krakadrak for the knights of chaos ability and some of our attack buffs to get more from them.

they also give us unleash hell which is useful

8 minutes ago, Praecautus said:

There is good value in Khorne slaves. The horses bring a fair few benefits we don’t normally have.

I would def also add in a lord on krakadrak for the knights of chaos ability and some of our attack buffs to get more from them.

they also give us unleash hell which is useful

Totally agree and plan to run krakadrak and 5-10 knights in all my lists.

Agree on unleash hell, that plus 2" reach of javelins (better thrown anyways) possibly makes a 10 model unit worth the large footprint, though could make them too unwieldy to properly disengage for feign ability.

I want to hear how Curse fares as a useful tactic, especially with Wrathmongers. I’m looking to use my Slaughterpriests more aggressively this edition and have them in the action with Curse to get units with lots of attacks the chance to pour out mortal wounds.

34 minutes ago, Zamik said:

I want to hear how Curse fares as a useful tactic, especially with Wrathmongers. 

Me too. Curse has got me very interested in slaughter priests again. I don't have wrathmongers, but I run lots of flesh hounds, and they have lots of attacks to proc curse with...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BeerBoar said:

I run lots of flesh hounds, and they have lots of attacks to proc curse with...

Yeah, I really dig this combo. It makes them something to be concerned about, and they are such good value otherwise. Chaos Knights are my main beneficiaries for Curse, but if a unit of doggies can do another 3-4MWs, that's gold.

4 hours ago, Roark said:

Yeah, I really dig this combo. It makes them something to be concerned about, and they are such good value otherwise. Chaos Knights are my main beneficiaries for Curse, but if a unit of doggies can do another 3-4MWs, that's gold.

I just ordered 10 knights to add in to my list with the intention they combine with curse. I am contemplating a warshrine too, either as a vehicle for curse or for the reroll hits to go fishing for 6s. Essentially turning them into faster cheaper skullreapers.

I think I’ll be arming them with lances

13 minutes ago, Praecautus said:

I just ordered 10 knights to add in to my list with the intention they combine with curse. I am contemplating a warshrine too, either as a vehicle for curse or for the reroll hits to go fishing for 6s. Essentially turning them into faster cheaper skullreapers.

I think I’ll be arming them with lances

Get the shrine - I think knights with ensorcelled weapons might be ok as an anvil without much support(not tried it) but to make lances work (in my, albeit limited, experience) you need the mounted Lord (for CA) and warshrine, plus something to stop them getting charged first (I.e. chaff or Daemon Prince CA).  Plus the shrine gives a ward save, is ok in combat, has totem keyword, and has a big base to help with board control….

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LordDave said:

Get the shrine - I think knights with ensorcelled weapons might be ok as an anvil without much support(not tried it) but to make lances work (in my, albeit limited, experience) you need the mounted Lord (for CA) and warshrine, plus something to stop them getting charged first (I.e. chaff or Daemon Prince CA).  Plus the shrine gives a ward save, is ok in combat, has totem keyword, and has a big base to help with board control….

I have the shrine already along with a lot of other Khorne slaves, and keen to het it back to the table. I do have a kitbashed lord on daemon mount but do need to get the krakadrak lord as he is the business

• LOVE IT! 1

Hey everyone! 

Im building a norsca themed army and thinking of making a list like this. I still gotta read more about battalions and tactics etc. to know how they actually work, so i didnt include any for now. Any comments about what works and what doesn`t are welcome!

Leaders
Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut (155)
Khorghos Khul (165)
- General
Bloodsecrator (125)
- Banner of Khorne (Artefact): Banner of Wrath
Bloodstoker (85)
Doombull (115)

Battleline
10 x Bloodreavers (80)
- Meatripper Axes
10 x Bloodreavers (80)
- Meatripper Axes
5 x Flesh Hounds (105)

Units
5 x Wrathmongers (155)
10 x Chaos Warriors (200)
- Halberd & Shield
- Mark of Chaos: Khorne
5 x Chaos Knights (170)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
5 x Chaos Knights (170)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
3 x Bullgors (155)
- Great Axes

Behemoths
Chimera (220)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 151

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Praecautus said:

I have the shrine already along with a lot of other Khorne slaves, and keen to het it back to the table. I do have a kitbashed lord on daemon mount but do need to get the krakadrak lord as he is the business

I’ve got a KB Lord on DM too, works quite well as also has daemon keyword so gets value from that.  Got a Karka Lord but not built yet…

Edited by LordDave

What's your thoughts/verdict on Mighty Skullcrushers? 

I know coherency causes issues but running 3 units of 3 as solid mobile anvils seems pretty legit to me.  170 points gets you 15 wounds on a 3+ save. Decent output ... still a fan of ensorcelled axes even in 3.0, makes rolling the dice easier lol.

I think they still have their place, as they count as two models and are hard to remove. You can take a unit of them for hold the line. Just put a unit of 9 on an Objective and they will score. Objective + hold the line. Coherency rules are annoying, however, you may still Charge them wide for impact Hits and pile in to re-establish coherency. 

Their 5 wounds 3+ save is pretty unique and hard to Bypass. 

26 minutes ago, Salyx said:

I think they still have their place, as they count as two models and are hard to remove. You can take a unit of them for hold the line. Just put a unit of 9 on an Objective and they will score. Objective + hold the line. Coherency rules are annoying, however, you may still Charge them wide for impact Hits and pile in to re-establish coherency. 

Their 5 wounds 3+ save is pretty unique and hard to Bypass. 

The rest of your post is still valid but you can't intentionally break coherency with a move. 

Screenshot_20210725-160915_Kindle.jpg

The issue with curse is the 9” range. I doubt there will be a lot of opportunities to be charging a cursed unit. If this is possible I guess flesh hounds would be best with Leave none alive and reroll ones.

The best use I can think of is Mighty Skullcrushers. Sit 6-9 on an objective with a priest behind them and give them bronzed flesh and or all out def depending on what sort of rend is coming your way. Take the hit then curse them in our turn and buff +2-3 to attacks as required. 

Hi i need help i whant to make some Alpha stricke army with hyper aggresion this is some idea but i need help with core battalion and artefact

Allegiance: Khorne
- Slaughterhost: The Goretide
- Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut (155)
- General
Bloodstoker (85)
Slaughterpriest (110)

Battleline
6 x Mighty Skullcrushers (340)
- Ensorcelled Axes
- Reinforced x 1
6 x Mighty Skullcrushers (340)
- Ensorcelled Axes
- Reinforced x 1
30 x Blood Warriors (630)
- Goreaxes
- Reinforced x 2
3 x Mighty Skullcrushers (170)
- Ensorcelled Axes
3 x Mighty Skullcrushers (170)
- Ensorcelled Axes

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 4 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 169

Is there a good way to ensure Skarbrand makes it into combat at the right time?  All I can see is a reroll charge ability from a bannered Bloodsecrator or whichever other Thirster does it, and then an Unfettered Thirster for 6" pilein.  Bloodstoker doesn't intimidate Skarbrand enough anymore.

Maybe the Slaughterpriest with Bloodbind?  I've never tried that one.