AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

I started the game with Khorne towards the end of 2nd edition and shelved them shortly after the release of 3rd. The new book definitely feels like Khorne to me.

The playstyle is still about calling up your god's power to boost your units, smashing stuff in close combat, then getting bonuses for doing so. I don't think there's anything I really miss from the old book, and there are a number of units I'm interested in trying out that I had no interest in fielding before. Heck, even the Skullgrinder has his own unique niche.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Enoby said:

Just curious, as someone who played Blades of Khorne a long time ago, how is this new book? Does it finally feel like "Khorne"?

Reasons I think it feels "Khorney":

• much more priests and usefull prayers
  • almost no shooting, damage is based on melee and prayers

Although it´s a melee centric army that now hast some tools to close the desitance, Blades of Khorne still competes with Ironjawz and Sons of Behemat when it comes down to "good" melee armies.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2023 at 1:35 PM, Enoby said:

Just curious, as someone who played Blades of Khorne a long time ago, how is this new book? Does it finally feel like "Khorne"?

If you mean do they feel like the Chaos version of Iron Jawz or DoK then probably not by that metric. There more a focus on our melee infantry and Skullcrushers are really good too. Mortals are fairly tanky. Daemons probably do more damage. But it still a techy army that isn’t just run forward and smash. Overall a faster army too. 

Edited by Easytyger

What are people's thoughts on how well the Claws of Karnak can slot in? I love their models but I'm not yet familiar enough with the book to know how they might stack up against our other foot troop mortal options like bloodreavers or blood warriors (warriors obv will be far more tanky).

So I had my first game with the full demon list I posted on page 315. Was vs stormcast. Ended up tabling him at the top of turn 3. 

I was already ahead on vps, but I will admit, that my mortal wounds and battleshock tests for the deamons were red hot. Returning 2 skullcrushers and about 10 bloodletters to the field with a mix of the blood throne prayer, rolling 1s on battleshock tests and the command trait.

Bloodthirster with Arcane tome would have been much better with the 4+ ward vs mortals in hindsight, but he still did lots of work!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, medivouk said:

So I had my first game with the full demon list I posted on page 315. Was vs stormcast. Ended up tabling him at the top of turn 3. 

I was already ahead on vps, but I will admit, that my mortal wounds and battleshock tests for the deamons were red hot. Returning 2 skullcrushers and about 10 bloodletters to the field with a mix of the blood throne prayer, rolling 1s on battleshock tests and the command trait.

Bloodthirster with Arcane tome would have been much better with the 4+ ward vs mortals in hindsight, but he still did lots of work!

nice, what did your opponent run? was arcane tome feeling worth it? did you have flaming weapons or ghost mist?

Very nize. I had a similar Idea for my Son (10 jes he play AoS jes Khorne :D :D )

What do u think about this list:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Khorne
- Slaughterhost: The Bloodletters
- Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Grand Strategy: Take What's Theirs

Leaders
Skarbrand (380)*
Bloodmaster (110)*
-
 Prayer: Blood Sacrifice

- Artefact: Halo of Blood
Slaughterpriest (110)*

- Prayer: Unholy Flames
Herald of Khorne on Blood Throne (160)
-
 General
- Command Trait: Embodiement of Wrath
- Artefact: Mark oft he  Bloodreaver

- Prayer: Killer Instinct
Bloodstoker (90)

Battleline
6 x Bloodcrushers (360) *
-
 Reinforced x 1
20 x Bloodletters (360) *
-
 Reinforced x 1
10 x Bloodletters (180) *
10 x Bloodreavers (80) *
-
 Reaver Blades

Units
3 x Magore's Fiends (120) *
1 x Riptooth

Endless Spells & Invocations
Hexgorger Skulls (50)

Battelregiment *
Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 110
Drops: 3

We just need the Bloodthrone for this. Or what would u choose for a army with the folloing Models (pls he loves Skarbrand so it would be very cool if Skarbrand is in the list)

Spoiler

Leaders
Skarbrand (380)
Slaughterpriest (110)

Slaughterpriest (110)
Bloodsecrator (110)
Bloodstoker (90)
Karanak (140)
Mighty Lord of Khorne (130)

Bloodmaster (110)
Battleline
10 x Bloodletters (180)

10 x Bloodletters (180)
10 x Bloodletters (180)
10 x Blood Warriors (190)
-
 Goreaxes
10 x Bloodreavers (80)
-
 Reaver Blades
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
Units
1 x Khorgoraths (110)
1 x Khorgoraths (110)
3 x Magore's Fiends (0)
1 x Riptooth (120)
3 x Bloodcrushers (180)
3 x Bloodcrushers (180)

I was up against 

:List 
Lord relictor
Lord imperitant 
Knight zepheros
10 x vindictors 
10 x judicators
5 x sequitors
3 x rapters hurricane xbows
3 x annilators shield
3 x annilators shield
3 x annilators big hammers

1 hour ago, itgnightraven said:

nice, what did your opponent run? was arcane tome feeling worth it? did you have flaming weapons or ghost mist?

And I was running flaming weapon. But he'd taken about wounds before he hit combat. Mostly mortals, so shrugging 50% I think would be better. Especially as theres a number of kruelboys players on my area... so lots of mortal wounds flying about.

7 hours ago, Lightbox said:

What are people's thoughts on how well the Claws of Karnak can slot in? I love their models but I'm not yet familiar enough with the book to know how they might stack up against our other foot troop mortal options like bloodreavers or blood warriors (warriors obv will be far more tanky).

I've never looked at their warscroll before today, but they look kind of... ok I guess? They're sort of like slightly better bloodreavers but without a real role. They do slightly more damage than reavers (as if they have reaver blades with rend and reach and a special weapon), but they're still not doing much damage overall with a 4+/4+. They're slightly faster with the pre-game move, but they're not really tough enough to hold the points they get to and I don't think the army is hurting for alpha strikes thanks to the new movement shenanigans.

I haven't really had much experience but honestly on paper I'm not really sure I'd reach for them. If I wanted cheap bodies I'd go for reavers since neither unit is going to do much damage in combat anyway. If I wanted infantry to hold a point I'd go for bloodwarriors. If I wanted fast cheap units I'd go for flesh hounds as they're excellent screens. I could maybe see having one unit to go grab a flank objective or something to try to split up my opponents forces, but that's about all I can think of. 

4 hours ago, ibel said:

Very nize. I had a similar Idea for my Son (10 jes he play AoS jes Khorne :D :D )

What do u think about this list:

Hide contents

Allegiance: Khorne
- Slaughterhost: The Bloodletters
- Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Grand Strategy: Take What's Theirs

Leaders
Skarbrand (380)*
Bloodmaster (110)*
-
 Prayer: Blood Sacrifice

- Artefact: Halo of Blood
Slaughterpriest (110)*

- Prayer: Unholy Flames
Herald of Khorne on Blood Throne (160)
-
 General
- Command Trait: Embodiement of Wrath
- Artefact: Mark oft he  Bloodreaver

- Prayer: Killer Instinct
Bloodstoker (90)

Battleline
6 x Bloodcrushers (360) *
-
 Reinforced x 1
20 x Bloodletters (360) *
-
 Reinforced x 1
10 x Bloodletters (180) *
10 x Bloodreavers (80) *
-
 Reaver Blades

Units
3 x Magore's Fiends (120) *
1 x Riptooth

Endless Spells & Invocations
Hexgorger Skulls (50)

Battelregiment *
Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 110
Drops: 3

We just need the Bloodthrone for this. Or what would u choose for a army with the folloing Models (pls he loves Skarbrand so it would be very cool if Skarbrand is in the list)

Hide contents

Leaders
Skarbrand (380)
Slaughterpriest (110)

Slaughterpriest (110)
Bloodsecrator (110)
Bloodstoker (90)
Karanak (140)
Mighty Lord of Khorne (130)

Bloodmaster (110)
Battleline
10 x Bloodletters (180)

10 x Bloodletters (180)
10 x Bloodletters (180)
10 x Blood Warriors (190)
-
 Goreaxes
10 x Bloodreavers (80)
-
 Reaver Blades
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
Units
1 x Khorgoraths (110)
1 x Khorgoraths (110)
3 x Magore's Fiends (0)
1 x Riptooth (120)
3 x Bloodcrushers (180)
3 x Bloodcrushers (180)

I really like the look of the first list, but I don't think the bloodstoker would be very helpful since you don't have many mortal units. If you swapped him out for another unit of reavers I think it would be better. Also I would try to find a way to get the Killer Instinct prayer in there, it's an incredibly good prayer for helping our army get up the field faster.

It's harder to tell with the second list as I've never played a game that big before. I think it looks ok though and it seems to have all the important components. It would definitely be a very bloody game which is always fun. 

Edited by Grimrock
  • Thanks 1

Now that a handful of our heroes have -2 rend on the warscroll, Gorecleaver and a Skullgrinder's ability can get them to -4 rend. -5 for a turn if you throw in a prayer. Probably not an optimal tournament build, but I think it could certainly be a fun surprise to really sharpen up a Juggernaut Lord and let him wade through an opponent's tankiest unit.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The_Tallest_Ork said:

Now that a handful of our heroes have -2 rend on the warscroll, Gorecleaver and a Skullgrinder's ability can get them to -4 rend. -5 for a turn if you throw in a prayer. Probably not an optimal tournament build, but I think it could certainly be a fun surprise to really sharpen up a Juggernaut Lord and let him wade through an opponent's tankiest unit.

I had a jugg lord tempered weapon and the item that gives +1 rend and mortals on 6s, had the prayer for -1 rend and he was my MVP. Nigh on unkillable with 2+ and 5++ vs spells, and shreds now he has 6 attacks (he was also rend 4 most of the time and I rolled a lot of 6s).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Grimrock said:

I really like the look of the first list, but I don't think the bloodstoker would be very helpful since you don't have many mortal units. If you swapped him out for another unit of reavers I think it would be better. Also I would try to find a way to get the Killer Instinct prayer in there, it's an incredibly good prayer for helping our army get up the field faster.

It's harder to tell with the second list as I've never played a game that big before. I think it looks ok though and it seems to have all the important components. It would definitely be a very bloody game which is always fun. 

ahh thats: i must miss read the bloodstoker and that he only can wip Bloodbound (mortal) Khorne Units. Okay he goes out and the Hex for another priest or maybe mhmm something other ?!?!

And no the 2second list is all we have, not a game. So maybe we can build a list out of this ;) 

• Like 1

So I really like the goofy looking skullgrinder and do like the idea of him (especially for only 90 points). How viable would it be to possibly take 2 of them to give each other +1 rend and get 2 gally vets for cheap or is it far better to use that +1 rend on a different combat hero? I know a lot of the gorechosen heroes in general probably aren't too useful outside of beatsticks but I do wanna consider using a few of them because I'm not used to being able to take beatstick foot heroes in my armies and it looks like fun!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ibel said:

ahh thats: i must miss read the bloodstoker and that he only can wip Bloodbound (mortal) Khorne Units. Okay he goes out and the Hex for another priest or maybe mhmm something other ?!?!

And no the 2second list is all we have, not a game. So maybe we can build a list out of this ;) 

Ah, I understand. Yeah it's tricky as he's cheaper than most priests. If it were me I think I'd drop him and the bloodreavers to try out the new realmgore ritualist and then put in the wrathaxe, but dropping him and the skulls for a mighty lord of khorne could work too. 

12 hours ago, Lightbox said:

So I really like the goofy looking skullgrinder and do like the idea of him (especially for only 90 points). How viable would it be to possibly take 2 of them to give each other +1 rend and get 2 gally vets for cheap or is it far better to use that +1 rend on a different combat hero? I know a lot of the gorechosen heroes in general probably aren't too useful outside of beatsticks but I do wanna consider using a few of them because I'm not used to being able to take beatstick foot heroes in my armies and it looks like fun!

I think someone mentioned using him and the Gorecleaver relic to completely overcharge a lord on juggernaught which sounded pretty fun. If you were to go with the pair buffing eachother then I'd be tempted to go all the way with a Gorechosen battalion and the command trait for +1 attacks on all gorechosen. Really lean into the beatstick.

• Like 1

Hi i try to run heavy cavalary list i live skullcrushers yesterday i run 18x in battleregiment they can alfa stricke but dont have enought DMG what do you thing:

- Army Faction: Blades of Khorne
     - Subfaction: The Flayed
LEADERS
Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut (170)
     - General
     - Artefacts of Power: Gorecleaver
Slaughterpriest (110)
     - Bloodbathed Axe
     - Prayers: Killer Instinct
Realmgore Ritualist (100)
     - Prayers: Bronzed Flesh
BATTLELINE
Mighty Skullcrushers (400)
     - Standard Bearer
     - Hornblower
     - Skullhunter
     - Bloodglaive
Mighty Skullcrushers (400)
     - Bloodglaive
Mighty Skullcrushers (200)
     - Bloodglaive
OTHER
Varanguard (290)
     - 3 x Fellspear
Varanguard (290)
     - 3 x Fellspear
ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS
1 x Bleeding Icon (40)
TOTAL POINTS: 2000/2000
Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

On 3/30/2023 at 10:41 PM, Grimrock said:

I think someone mentioned using him and the Gorecleaver relic to completely overcharge a lord on juggernaught which sounded pretty fun. If you were to go with the pair buffing eachother then I'd be tempted to go all the way with a Gorechosen battalion and the command trait for +1 attacks on all gorechosen. Really lean into the beatstick.

That sounds like a ton of fun. I might have to try that!

• Like 1

So in another case of "oops all spam" while list building I ended up contemplating this list.

Skullfiend tribe 

Bleeding icon

Skull altar

Skarbrand

Bloodsecrator with banner of blood

Bloodstoker

Realmgore ritualis general w/ high priest of khorne, killer instinct, blood sacrifice, & tunnel master

10 skullreapers ×3

5 wrathmongers

That's it. Just throw a ton of skullreapers that rally on a 4+ at the opponent. Their damage is respectable even with almost no buffs and weve got buffs. Tunnel master maybe should go on the bloodsecrator instead but the way it works so nicely with the ritualists desecrate ability (end of move phase after teleport) is just really nice.

2nd prayer is really up in the air, maybe take an extra artifact or even gallation champion ability for leadership of the alpha on the bloodsecrator to rally more? First summon is probably definitely going to be another priest though to grab another prayer and then dogs for bodies?

• Like 1

I love the army and the new rules are very cool but I'm not a big fan of the old mortal models. The new mortals on the other hand look extraordinary. Does anyone know of bitz/alternative heads/parts to convert an army with a kind of Aztec theme?

Edited by spenson

3 hours ago, acovarru91 said:

Can someone with the battletome verify if the Bloodsecrator has the Gorechosen keyword? It has it on Battlescribe but the official AoS app doesn't have it listed on the warscroll 

He is Gorechosen

• Thanks 2