AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Thanks to all the people who post leaks here.

I really like the slaughterborn. The ability is always useful and isn't conditionnal. You doesn't need to be wholly within X or Y, or in a precise situation (charging, targeting X or Y). You don't loose it when your hero is killed. Just a always useful ability that will always work. It's the best battallon for me.

So already just thinking of dumb alpha strike lists.

Reapers of vengeance

Skull master

Bloodthirster

Blood Thirster

Blood thirster

6 blood crushers

6 blood crushers

6 blood crushers

Blood thunder stampede

Tyrants of blood

its exactly 2k

So assuming your opponent doesn't have a brain and doesn't chaff wall and also moves up so hes within roughly 17 inches of you

You have 3 command points so you can move up, pretty much give everyone reroll charge with just one point Fly everyone in like a banshee

Your blood crushers if they can all get in do 6d3 mortal wounds pre combat

You attack with your blood thirster first then they all attack. Then you use your command ability to attack again with a blood thirster or whatever else. Whatever it is its probably dead. If youre still in combat and have killed 4 things you have enough blood tithe to attack with whatever again. So its very Bone splittas esq of just again again again. Then after if its by a blood crusher unit, d3 extra run rerolling 1s on battle shock and youre if all are touching you're on average guaranteed 12 mortals on impact. So if you're spaced out over a few units they may not have enough CP to immune all of em.

5 minutes ago, ledha said:

Thanks to all the people who post leaks here.

I really like the slaughterborn. The ability is always useful and isn't conditionnal. You doesn't need to be wholly within X or Y, or in a precise situation (charging, targeting X or Y). You don't loose it when your hero is killed. Just a always useful ability that will always work. It's the best battallon for me.

I like it too especially since all the units have a 4+ in that battalion.

So here’s a question, many of us use Slave or other non-khorne chaos units. Are there any potential winners or new combos to explore with the new book?

Three I can think of are

1 Warshrine gets reroll prayers near the alter

2 Daemon prince has the locus of fury reroll 1s

3 soulgrinder gets +1 range attack near wrath mongers, plus locus with a hero nearby

I am sure there are more though

Edited by Praecautus
Soulgrinder edit for clairty

2 hours ago, Bozly said:

I like it too especially since all the units have a 4+ in that battalion.

I feel like Slaughterborn and Bloodmad warband seem especially strong since they don’t have any reliance on a specific hero. Gore Pilgrims is still nasty thanks to the Mobile Bloodsecrator. I’m not really an expert on a Daemons, although Murderhost and Tyrants of blood are the standouts for me(Many of the others have situational buffs against heroes/monsters, and some require far too many units)

2 hours ago, Praecautus said:

So here’s a question, many of us use Slave or other non-khorne chaos units. Are there any potential winners or new combos to explore with the new book?

Three I can think of are

1 Warshrine gets reroll prayers near the alter

2 Daemon prince has the locus of fury reroll 1s

3 soulgrinder gets +1 range attack near wrath mongers, plus locus with a hero nearby

I am sure there are more though

The Lord on Daemonic Mount has access to artifacts, traits i’m I’m not mistaken. Plus our sheer attacks stacking can work well with charging Chaos Knights. Heck even a Chaos mammoth might just ruin someone’s day. 

I feel that Daemon Prince might just be really good with Mark of the slayer. It’s a solid buff to all Khorne models, and he’s got 2 weapons for all the Attack buffs. Devastating blow or immense power trait could turn him into a monster 

what are everyone’s thoughts on the new slaughterhosts? Personally, I feel that Goretide and Reapers of Vengeance will be really good, since their abilities are almost always good. 

2 hours ago, ledha said:

The warshrine. Unlike the others slaughterpriest, he can go with the first line without being instantly sniped, and will help a lot in this regard to maintain the endless spells.

YES PLEASE, FINALLY I HAVE MOTIVATION TO DEDICATE MY WARSHRINE TO KHORNE. He can get Blood Blessings, he’s got his own prayer, AND he can use Judgements. That’s actually a TON of utility. 

Still looking forward to the eventual darkoth/Slaves to Darkness update, especially if it gives Khorne new baller stuff! 

I missed the Bloodmad Warband, I feel there could be something there with running 3-5 10 man units of Blood Warriors. Overall playing some kind of pseudo MSU trying to win the war of attrition.

I like it.

My other idea was running 3 pairs for Skullcrushers + Wrathmongers, getting or taking the charge with the former and using Wrathmongers as hammers the turn after. Doesn't seem bad but I feel there is not a whole lot of synergies with this setup.

Either way, everything I come up with still has priests in it, the difference is that I feel 2 are enough now. Khorne seems really hungry for Command Points and Blood Sacrifice might help a ton in that regard (maybe there is some reason to field Archaon in Khorne now). One might even be enough, but I kinda like the buff prayers and as others already mentioned that +1 to save often helps. 

Bloodlords + Tyrant of Blood seem rather interesting to me.

Skarbrand

WoK

BT of choice (all of them seem reasonable)

Bloodsecrator

2x Priests (Sacrifice and Bronzed)

3x 5 Bloodhounds

There should be about 200+ points left for some screening units and/or sacrifice targets. Bloodsecrator might be useless in this list and could be swapped for something better.

Edited by Xasz

16 minutes ago, Xasz said:

Either way, everything I come up with still has priests in it, the difference is that I feel 2 are enough now. Khorne seems really hungry for Command Points and Blood Sacrifice might help a ton in that regard (maybe there is some reason to field Archaon in Khorne now). One might even be enough, but I kinda like the buff prayers and as others already mentioned that +1 to save often helps. 

16 minutes ago, Xasz said:

Archaon Command ability work only on heroes who can use theirs CA in HERO phase. Now look how many of the CA are in use on charge phase/combat phase (Bloodthirsters for example). 

Bloodlords + Tyrant of Blood seem solid with Skarbrand and even with Exalted as general.

• Thanks 1

Hi everybody,

this is my first post here and I´m relatively new to AoS. What I´d like to ask is do you think the new book and especially the new artefacts and locus of fury will change anything regarding the usefulness of any of the FW models like Mazarall or the exalted BT?

16 minutes ago, Well of Eternity said:

Archaon Command ability work only on heroes who can use theirs CA in HERO phase. Now look how many of the CA are in use on charge phase/combat phase (Bloodthirsters for example). 

That a good spot , GW may adjust this later. D3+1!! 

Ohand a Rend 2 sword;)

I have a question about Tyrant of Blood battalion ability -"after a model from this battalion has fought  [...] FOR THE FIRST TIME, you can pick another model from the same battalion [...] That model fights immediately, beore the opposing player picks a unit to fight in that combat phase. "

Does it mean that all thirsters from the battalion can attack one after another or just one after first activation?

24 minutes ago, Well of Eternity said:

I have a question about Tyrant of Blood battalion ability -"after a model from this battalion has fought  [...] FOR THE FIRST TIME, you can pick another model from the same battalion [...] That model fights immediately, beore the opposing player picks a unit to fight in that combat phase. "

Does it mean that all thirsters from the battalion can attack one after another or just one after first activation?

I think it refers to the model as entity and not the battalion setup, it's just there to prevent an endless attack loop.

Writing rules is hard and GW usually writes global limits for an ability at the start of the text (e.g. can only be used once).

6 minutes ago, Xasz said:

I think it refers to the model as entity and not the battalion setup, it's just there to prevent an endless attack loop.

Writing rules is hard and GW usually writes global limits for an ability at the start of the text (e.g. can only be used once).

It also stops you using the reapers command ability to fight twice with each bloodthirster and use the battalion out of sequence fighting as well.

If it wasn’t worded that way and you had the CP you could fight with all 4 bloodthirsters twice before your opponent went. With its wording you fight with 3 in a row first then use Skarbrand last and fight twice with him then pass it back to your opponent who no longer has an army. 

This seems to be one of the best new strats however as bloodthirsters have terrible defence for their points it straight loses to ranged armies. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Reuben Parker said:

It also stops you using the reapers command ability to fight twice with each bloodthirster and use the battalion out of sequence fighting as well.

If it wasn’t worded that way and you had the CP you could fight with all 4 bloodthirsters twice before your opponent went. With its wording you fight with 3 in a row first then use Skarbrand last and fight twice with him then pass it back to your opponent who no longer has an army. 

This seems to be one of the best new strats however as bloodthirsters have terrible defence for their points it straight loses to ranged armies. 

This was pretty much my plan, seeing as I now have 2 built thirsters, 2 unbuilt and a skarbrand ready to go

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Retro said:

This was pretty much my plan, seeing as I now have 2 built thirsters, 2 unbuilt and a skarbrand ready to go

I think it is still reasonable, even without abuse/loophole.

My only problem is, that such a setup makes no secret about what it does.

Things that stick out to me as interesting are definitely the Skullfiend Tribe and the Goretide. Battalions would be the Bloodforged, Skulltake, Slaughterborn and Bloodmad Warband. I also have SKARBRAND and 1 IR Bloodthirster but IDK if I can use them by themselves as I have no other demons. I have way too many mortals. 

Guess I'll just wait to get my book and comb through it and see what I can come up with. 

3 hours ago, Kaz said:

YES PLEASE, FINALLY I HAVE MOTIVATION TO DEDICATE MY WARSHRINE TO KHORNE. He can get Blood Blessings, he’s got his own prayer, AND he can use Judgements. That’s actually a TON of utility. 

Still looking forward to the eventual darkoth/Slaves to Darkness update, especially if it gives Khorne new baller stuff! 

After realizing this as well, my unbuilt Warshrine just went to the top of my building queue. Also consider that because it's a Priest, and can move around quite easily, it can help keep Judgments around!

2 hours ago, Fuchur said:

Hi everybody,

this is my first post here and I´m relatively new to AoS. What I´d like to ask is do you think the new book and especially the new artefacts and locus of fury will change anything regarding the usefulness of any of the FW models like Mazarall or the exalted BT?

We haven't seen any updates to the ForgeWorld models outside of Locus of Fury. Artifact wise I'm not too sure as I haven't been keeping in mind the Exalted Bloodthirster, mainly as I don't have one.

1 hour ago, mastercrafted said:

Not the only place i've seen this now - does the daemonic locus not apply to the daemon hero itself?

It does! Base rules say the model with the aura always counts itself as being in range. 

2 hours ago, mastercrafted said:

Looking at the Insensate rage bloodthirster warscroll, and isnt the rerolls 1s to hit when you charge pretty pointless with the new daemonic locus?

Makes me think its going to get FAQ'd pretty soon. Either they make the daemonic locus not effect characters or that reroll ones on the charge turns into reroll failed hits or +1 to hit.