AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

After seeing a couple of reviews I am feeling pretty positive.

my Daemon prince w blade of judgement is going to like this edition, 6 attacks, reroll 1s, exploding 6 D6 MW still for the bargain price of 160 pts and no need for gorepilgrims to make the blessing s go off. ( depending on changes to killing frenzy)

Warshrine is going to love the terrain piece

Able to explore new battalions outside pilgrims

Some new combos to explore with the heros - Valkia and Skarr become interesting now.

• Like 1

I'm going to warm up to this, I know we'll discover the good stuff. I like the Exalted Deathbringer's new Impaling Spear (doing d3 mortals in addition on a wound roll of 6) not just to enemy heroes. Put him near the general to give him 7 attacks and stoke him to reroll those wounds....

Edited by Zamik

9 minutes ago, Zamik said:

I'm going to warm up to this, I know we'll discover the good stuff. I like the Exalted Deathbringer's new Impaling Spear (doing d3 mortals in addition on a wound roll of 6) not just to enemy heroes. Put him near the general to give him 7 attacks and stoke him to reroll those wounds....

they'll both be dead from shooting and magic before you get to do anything LEL

7 minutes ago, kcmerc said:

they'll both be dead from shooting and magic before you get to do anything LEL

Well that's always the deal; I'm hoping the judgements can help with moving the enemy into a more advantageous disarray for me. There are always artifacts too.

So I noticed something fun. The blood Lords give you an artefact that lets you fight first in the combat phase. The tyrants of blood battalion includes 3 to 8 bloodthirsters. Their ability is that if you fight with one bloodthirster you can immediately pick another nearby bloodthirster to fight. 

So you could have 4 bloodthirsters all fighting in the combat phase before anyone else.  

Also according to the gmg review skull take is melee weapons not shooting.

Edited by Chikout
  • Like 1

Battalions and interaction between several elements might be the saving grace of this book.

I expected that the Bloodsecrator would lose one of its rules but I really hoped it would be the anti magic bubble.  Not to mention all the little but impact-full warscroll changes, for better or worse. 

Considering what we know now, it all seems rather uninspiring. I'll surely get the book and scan it for something I can have fun with but there is a good chance it will end up as booklet to read when I take a dumb.

Overall, I might be back on my "waiting for Slaves to Darkness update" plan again.

Just now, Xasz said:

Battalions and interaction between several elements might be the saving grace of this book.

I expected that the Bloodsecrator would lose one of its rules but I really hoped it would be the anti magic bubble.  Not to mention all the little but impact-full warscroll changes, for better or worse. 

Considering what we know now, it all seems rather uninspiring. I'll surely get the book and scan it for something I can have fun with but there is a good chance it will end up as booklet to read when I take a dumb.

Overall, I might be back on my "waiting for Slaves to Darkness update" plan again.

the whole book has been leaked. BoK have been gutted. It's old news at this point.

• Sad 1

Just now, andysonic1 said:

I'm watching a full book review and marking the changes down. I'm only through the command abilities and artifacts but the changes here are all really good. Gorcleaver lost mortals but on a Juggerlord it's devastating. 

Link to book review please 

3 minutes ago, kcmerc said:

the whole book has been leaked. BoK have been gutted. It's old news at this point.

Bululu did not write a whole lot about artifacts, command abilities and battalions.

I've read everything in here and read the new warscrolls via app, if I missed something on like 4chan feel free to pm me.

36 minutes ago, Chikout said:

So I noticed something fun. The blood Lords give you an artefact that lets you fight first in the combat phase. The tyrants of blood battalion includes 3 to 8 bloodthirsters. Their ability is that if you fight with one bloodthirster you can immediately pick another nearby bloodthirster to fight. 

So you could have 4 bloodthirsters all fighting in the combat phase before anyone else.  

Also according to the gmg review skull take is melee weapons not shooting.

I am pretty new to khorne but this seems amazing.   Being able to fight with 3 or four bloodthirsters before anyone else seems great. 

1 minute ago, jimbrewersbro said:

I am pretty new to khorne but this seems amazing.   Being able to fight with 3 or four bloodthirsters before anyone else seems great. 

Yeah, that sounds great, but the people that have an issue with this book view it in the light of the previous book. The bonuses that you get are nothing new.

There are some better rules, like Bloodstokers giving a full re-roll to wound (but not stacking anymore), Bloodsecrator doesn't have to plant the flag to use it, the healing from Blood Tithe being continous, etc.

Hey there, I'm a completely new face here (I've actually been lurking here a LONG time), a longtime Khorne fan here, returning to AOS. Just asking, does the Bloodsecrator, Aspiring Deathbringer, Wrathmonger attack buffs work on Skullcrusher mounts or Mighty Lord of Khorne Flesh Hound, since they aren't command abilities or artifacts? Also, would the Locus of Fury work on Bloodcrusher mounts?

To be seriously honest, I'm still relatively new to AOS, (Been mostly 40K Khorne), although I do like the new stuff quite a fair bit.

Still seems to me that Skulltake had a mistype on GW's part. Maybe an FAQ might solve it? But thanks Bululu for the info!

Perhaps we have to view the (perceived) "nerfs" in light of other new books - from what I've understood, the new Night Goblins aren't terribly OP for example. Perhaps they're trying to tone armies down a bit. I think it'll be wise to wait until GH19 before we can see the longterm ambitions with the book(s).

11 minutes ago, Bjornas said:

Perhaps we have to view the (perceived) "nerfs" in light of other new books - from what I've understood, the new Night Goblins aren't terribly OP for example. Perhaps they're trying to tone armies down a bit. I think it'll be wise to wait until GH19 before we can see the longterm ambitions with the book(s).

Yeah, I heard that the Gloomspite Gitz are actually surprisingly ok, and their Allegiance ability is even considered a small bonus unless you have Skragrott, it might not be so bad with the Blades of Khorne. Also, why is it that everywhere I go, (Rumor Thread, AOS reddit, dakkadakka), I saw a LOT of negativity regarding the Khorne release? Like there seems to be a LOT of hate for the Blades of Khorne, which I felt was slightly surprising, never really saw that back in 40K.

Just now, andysonic1 said:

Battalions got a huge decrease in points across the board. Gore Pilgrims 200 -> 140, Dark Feast 200 -> 110. BARBARIAN HORDES ARE GO!

Well to be fair AoS 2.0 battalions are very rules light, almost always 1 additional rule.

Not 2 additional rules like from old books.

14 minutes ago, Kaz said:

Yeah, I heard that the Gloomspite Gitz are actually surprisingly ok, and their Allegiance ability is even considered a small bonus unless you have Skragrott, it might not be so bad with the Blades of Khorne. Also, why is it that everywhere I go, (Rumor Thread, AOS reddit, dakkadakka), I saw a LOT of negativity regarding the Khorne release? Like there seems to be a LOT of hate for the Blades of Khorne, which I felt was slightly surprising, never really saw that back in 40K.

Khorne was more or less in need of a new book, due to outdated rules and an errata several pages long because of this.

Adding to this issue, Khorne was not really relevant in the meta (for a long time). DoK (Daughters of Khaine) and some other army setups pretty much do what Khorne does but with more bodies (and usually more efficient and saver).

As it stands, pretty much all of the book is known at this point and it seems like a strict downgrade. What GW seemingly did, is redistribute power away from a handful of models to the whole range. This means several small nerfs to a lot of models, so a lot of the range feels 'meh' or like one big 'soup' now. The big problem with this approach is, that while the power is not reeeeeeaaaallllly gone but just distributed differently (at least for the most part, some things are just strictly worse), that not all combinations of units make up for a meaningful setup. This will ultimately lead to setups that will lack something they usually had which feels somewhat bad from a player perspective, especially if your army is somewhat niche.

EDIT: Khorne was and is probably not "bad" but was pretty much locked in a tier 2 to 3 loop for a long time. The new book is not gonna change that and the GHB19 is pretty far away. Hence, the frustration.

Edited by Xasz
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

I think regarding battalions we have to remember that they contain a CP (50 points value), an artefact  (which I usually price at 30-50 points - ask yourself what you would give for a specific artefact) and a drop reduction (which can be huge). So all in all the new Gorepilgrim for me comes at 40 points. And Dark Feast at 10! Of course values can change depending on the particular list. But if you see it that way, they are very valuable. 

Edit: Remember the value of multiple artefacts in Khorne lists - some missions require you to have an artefact or a Wizard! I hope none of you considers taking wizards...

Edited by Surtur