AoS 2 - Spiderfang Grots Discussion

Chris Tomlin

17 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I think Skraggrott has to be General to generate his CPs, for sure to move Da Moon.  But 2 Fungoid Shaman are less points and generate CPs on a 4+ every hero phase.

ah its true. that might be worth it, this army feels like its gonna be very CP hungry

Used my Gitz with Spiderfang on Thursday night:

Skitterswarm/ Scuttleboss/3x10 riders

Arok Shaman

Webspinner Shaman

Fungoid Shaman

Troggoth Hag

Skraggrott

Mushroom

Scuttletide 

i played against a Khorne Tyrants of blood army and didn’t need my CPs because he butchered almost everything by end of turn 2!  

I foolishly charged his Halo of Blood RageThirster turn 1 forgetting  that relic lets him strike first in combat.  My bad.  I also forgot to cast the scuttletide and mushroom turn 1.  I think I just had an off night.

The Troggoth Hag I had failed to vomit enough on his blood warriors so got all tied up and apparently you can’t Hand of Gork a unit out of combat.   Not real sure if we need a scuttleboss either.   His command ability is a little meh I think; though his mortal wound output is very good sometimes.  

Many lessons learned. I’m thinking two Arok Shaman and more spider riders will be better than a scuttleboss, Troggoth hag and webspimmer shaman.   And also a reminder sheet of what to do each turn; that’s helpful.  Think I saw something on WHCommumity about that.  

Played a game vs Bonereapers yesterday on Focal Points. My opponent is putting together a competitive list for a tournament at the end of January. I won a major but it was his first time playing the army. My opponent made some pretty big mistakes, mainly not engaging my screen first turn and overextending on the opposite side of the board. 

My List:

Shaman on Arok - General, Totem, Gift of the Spider God 

Shaman on Arok - Gryph-Feather, Sneaky Distraction

Fungoid - Itchy Nuisance

Fungoid - Hand of Gork

Spider Riders x5

Spider Riders x10

Spider Riders x10

Stabbas x60

Arok w/Flinger

Skittermob

Scuttletide 

Opponent:

Katakros

Soulmason

Bonereaper

Guard x20, x20, x10

Crawler x2

Mortek Shield Guard

A spell or two 

Edited by Intrinsic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I’m looking at fielding a competitive spiderfang army using a lot of spiders. I’m looking for opinions on this list. The stabbas are there as a screen if needed, or to sit on objectives...and mainly just so the loonshrine I buy will have some actual impact on my army. 

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider (280)
- General
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm 
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Sneaky Distraction
- Artefact: Totem of the Spider God  
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Gift of da Spider God

Battleline
15 x Spider Riders (300)
15 x Spider Riders (300)
10 x Spider Riders (200)
40 x Stabbas (260)
- Stabbas & Moon Shields
- 6x Barbed Nets
- 2x Moonclan Flag Bearers
- 2x Badmoon Icon Bearers

Behemoths
Arachnarok Spider with Spiderfang Warparty (220)

Battalions
Spider Rider Skittermob (120)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Scuttletide (30)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 162

thank you you for your time 

• 4 months later...

I'm surprised so see such an emphasis on Spider Riders. My first thoughts was to maximise casting given the Webspinner on Arach' grants the +1 to cast aura and Webspinners on foot are a measly 80pts for what could be +2 casters under the bad moon. The spell lore is quite lacking, I guess. 
This is the list I'm currently working on painting up, but I'm not sure. I should probably drop a unit of riders for 20 Stabbas. 

Spoiler

Leaders
Wardokk (80)
- Allies
- General
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Venomous Spiderlings
Webspinner Shaman (80)
Webspinner Shaman (80)
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Curse of da Spider God
Webspinner Shaman (80)

Battleline
10 x Spider Riders (200)
10 x Spider Riders (200)
10 x Spider Riders (200)

Units
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
- Stikkas
- Allies

Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron (40)
Scuttletide (30)
Mork's Mighty Mushroom (90)
Purple Sun of Shyish (50)

Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 380 / 400
Wounds: 165

• 1 month later...
On 6/19/2020 at 6:01 AM, Floom said:

I'm surprised so see such an emphasis on Spider Riders. My first thoughts was to maximise casting given the Webspinner on Arach' grants the +1 to cast aura and Webspinners on foot are a measly 80pts for what could be +2 casters under the bad moon. The spell lore is quite lacking, I guess. 
This is the list I'm currently working on painting up, but I'm not sure. I should probably drop a unit of riders for 20 Stabbas. 

Reveal hidden contents

Leaders
Wardokk (80)
- Allies
- General
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Venomous Spiderlings
Webspinner Shaman (80)
Webspinner Shaman (80)
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Curse of da Spider God
Webspinner Shaman (80)

Battleline
10 x Spider Riders (200)
10 x Spider Riders (200)
10 x Spider Riders (200)

Units
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
- Stikkas
- Allies

Scuttletide (30)
Mork's Mighty Mushroom (90)
Purple Sun of Shyish (50)

Wounds: 165

My list is similar but without all the foot wizards. Like you said, the spiderfang lore is pretty limited and you can't cast the same spell twice. You can also no longer bring more than 3 endless spells. I find just the 4 spells from arachs are enough and I like to bring a fungoid with hand of gork. I really like the 30 savages, haven't seen that and will be trying it out. This army is really squishy without blobs of grots, so 60 wounds on a 4+ if you bring a wardokk sounds tasty. You could bring a big boss too if you wanted exploding six's to hit. Here's what I'm going to try next:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz

Leaders
- General
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork
Wardokk (80)
- Allies

Battleline
10 x Spider Riders (200)
10 x Spider Riders (200)
10 x Spider Riders (200)

Units
6 x Fellwater Troggoths (300)
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
- Stikkas & Shields
- Allies

Scuttletide (30)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 181

• 2 months later...

Am I correct in thinking that the Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider rule add 1 to cast and unbind from the Catchweb Spidershrine affects itself aswell as other Spiderfang Wizards within 12"? So if I had 2 of these models within 12" of each other they would both get +2 to cast and unbind rolls and then +3 if it was casting Scuttletide as its being cast by a Spiderfang Wizard?

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, Primo said:

Am I correct in thinking that the Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider rule add 1 to cast and unbind from the Catchweb Spidershrine affects itself aswell as other Spiderfang Wizards within 12"? So if I had 2 of these models within 12" of each other they would both get +2 to cast and unbind rolls and then +3 if it was casting Scuttletide as its being cast by a Spiderfang Wizard?

Thanks in advance.

The +1 to cast does affect itself, but it doesnt stack with itself since it specifies "within 12" of any friendly models with this ability"

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, Newtype_Zero said:

Apparently it's happening my Spider-bros!

125988807_10157334520510124_3090435545532799398_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=2&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=CibuyYV2GNwAX8ERU8K&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=35b9808b1a2b287d81106cdea8878e92&oe=5FDA60D3

I've been waiting for this!

I've got 2k points of spiderfang painted up and sitting on my shelf. Looking forward to this.

Hopefully this does something to make spider riders more consistent and deal with the arachnaroks movememt issues

3 hours ago, Fisher KIng said:

I can see that. I was really hoping for this before broken realms but Spider riders need a warscroll rewrite not just a halfway go battalion 

I wouldn't rule out warscroll rewrites, but i think spider riders are salvagable with point updates and good subfaction rules. Their damage is pretty good if we get both buffs (5+ venom and double mortals) and if the subfaction makes that easier to pull off, and we get a good point drop they could start looking pretty good.

I wouldn't be against a rewrite though.

I don’t think it’s likely to get warscroll or point update in the WD supplements though. Sub allegiance and loonshrine update is probably the stuff that  is going to help spiderfang in the content. Mount traits for araknorok may also be possible.

Edited by novakai
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Fisher KIng said:

I can see that. I was really hoping for this before broken realms but Spider riders need a warscroll rewrite not just a halfway go battalion 

I think you will have to just settle for all these essentially band-aid battalions where they attempt to implement “fixes” to cover the battletome’s design and power level issues. 

The loonshrine should have worked for everything from the beginning. There should have been some decent battalions from the beginning.

Fingers crossed they have some meaningful changes planned in the long run that actually buff the army rather than fixing.

Edited by C0deb1ue

I will say that without warscroll changes it would be hard since that what really hurts the spider right now

Their is stuff they can do on the top of my head through allegiance abilities.

MW trigger on bow shot either hits or wounds of unmodified roll of 6

CA to improve venom Bites by +1 (basically the old ability)

Maybe might makes right on big spiders for better objective securing

mount traits

of course I feel like with WD supplements they tend to be more safer and thematic rules then on the competitive side (with the sole exception of maybe the one for Slaanesh) 

I was going to say, instead of doubling down on the venomous bites, I would have preferred to see a CA that lets you apply spider venom to weapons, for 6+ to hit does 1 MW. I think that'd make the Scuttleboss' CA relevant if you so wanted, but also means you remember to bother to roll the spears.