AoS 2 - Spiderfang Grots Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Morning all,

Arachnophobes; this is not the place for you! This is the new thread for discussing Spiderfang Grots. With the imminent release of AoS 2 (and a lot of the info already being out there), now is the time for us to start afresh on TGA.

Moving forward, this will be the main thread to chat about and discuss Spiderfang Grots in the new edition. I still wholly encourage people to keep their own threads/army blogs within this sub forum and I also think those are a great place to share some photos as I know not everyone frequents the Painting & Modelling section (like me!). But this thread is purely for discussion around the faction, things such as (but not limited to) tactics and list building etc. You all know the drill, we've been doing it on this forum since inception!

I'm also hoping we can tempt in @Paul Buckler to make a separate topic within this sub forum as he has recently finished an absolutely lovely Spiderfang army and will be taking it to a tournament in the first month of the new edition!

For newer players, I would say the older thread could still be worth perusal and whilst it is now locked for further replies, you can find it here - http://www.tga.community/forums/topic/11930-lets-chat-spiderfang/

Really excited to see what we can come up with as a community and I look forward to reading all your ideas and thoughts.

Chris

• Like 3

Hello all, I have the spider fang grot venom clan box and another 10 spider riders and I want to do a mainly spiderfang army, but I have a bit of all the old whfb orcs and goblins and ogors, but I only have some converted black orruks and megaboss for ironjawz and nothing for bonesplitterz and beastclaw. I was thinking of converting one spider rider into a big boss on spider as I don't like the finecast kit anyway and don't want to spend £15 on a crappy kit. For 800 points semi competitive games, would this be a viable combination of models? How can I bring this list of models into a fully functioning and semi competitive list?

Btw the armies I play against the most are dark elves, mixed death without sacraments, non allied slaves to darkness and im about to face the old starter set with stormcast and bloodbound.

• Like 1

Well ill say your a little over half way there, a 2nd Venom box and you should be set well over 1k. Arok Shamans are fantastic casters with the 2 spell cast and a big scary platform to pew pew from. Uniquely in our alliance they dont worry as much about being up front slinging spells at danger close range. It makes them a great candidate for some of the new Endless Spells if you wanted to try them out. If you can get the boss on giant spider rocking you have a quite deadly force on your hands there. Now if you wanted to start leaning into allies from there you cant really go wrong with some grot artillery. I always suggest getting them in pairs for the added benefit.

Now specifically at 800 1 Arock shaman, a boss on giant spider and 2 x 10 riders isnt terrible, just protect that boss bc his command ability is clutch. Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I don’t have any gitmob but I have moonclan. Also I have a single troll which came in the old battle for skull pass set (I’m old ok) but I don’t know if I can actually use this as the trolls seem to come in units of 3 or more? Can I use the one and say it is 60 points (river trolls are 180 points for 3 so 180/3=60 I think). Thanks for the responses it’s very helpful.

also how do allies work and where can I find a list of who allies with who. Is that in the new handbook or in the core book. I’m getting both in the next week btw

And the answer to the other question is that for Matched Play the list of allies will be located in the Pitched Battle Profiles section of the General's  Handbook (in Open or Narrative, obviously, those restrictions are more like guidelines than rules).

Edited by amysrevenge

13 minutes ago, fanatical-mushroom-addict said:

Damn. So even if I buy another set of trolls that one is useless. Oh well I don’t like trolls much anyway. Much prefer giants or ogres.

The troll you have is a sourbreadth troll iirc.

GW used to sell those indiviually, although I think they are still cast in metal. In fact, they make 2 versions of sourbreadth, meaning you can have three different types. 2 of the metal ones and one plastic.

I usually run Gitmob Spear Chukkas as my Spiderfang allies but last weekend I tried out the Colossal Squig and I liked it a lot. He’s less reliable, but it’s so easy for your opponent to harass or pick off artillery. The Squig can lead the charge rather than have to be babysitted.

I haven't seen what point changes there are (if any) but with all the additional spells the Arachnarok Spider seems like it got a boost and with the Look Out Sir rule and being able to use command abilities on models other than the general seem like a good boost to the Grot Big Boss on Gigantic Spider.

I've got two Arachnaroks, two Grot Big Bosses on Gigantic Spiders and twenty spider riders. I think if I pick up another Venom Clan box that will make for a decent Spiderfang army.

What do you folks think about a Rogue Idol as an ally? It boosts spellcasting and bravery, which seems like would be a good fit for a Spiderfang army (plus the model is just cool).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fanatical-mushroom-addict said:

Damn. So even if I buy another set of trolls that one is useless. Oh well I don’t like trolls much anyway. Much prefer giants or ogres.

GW still sells non-river trolls individually on their web store.  So you can pick up 2 more if you want.  You can also find lots of troll models on eBay pretty easily.  Or, you can sell the one you have without too much issue.

1 hour ago, sorokyl said:

Is anyone using grot scuttlings for anything?  They are amazing and fit the army so well. Do you think they'll be released as a stand alone kit for spiderfang in the future? 

Chances are good-ish since They did release separate boxes for the Tzaangor and Acolytes in SIlver Tower with the DoT release later on. though I am not entirely sure they are specifically Spiderfang Grots since they have Moonclan hoods on but are half spider-half grot.

their current warscroll isn't that impressive like all grot warscroll.

6 hours ago, sorokyl said:

Is anyone using grot scuttlings for anything?  They are amazing and fit the army so well. Do you think they'll be released as a stand alone kit for spiderfang in the future? 

I've just bought 40 of these to use as basic Gitmob Grots to essentially hold objectives.

I'm going through the Warscroll Builder on Warhammer Community and I came across some interesting interactions that caused me to look at GHB17 and GHB18.

If I take an Arachnarok without a shaman riding on his back, Warscroll Builder says that its not a behemoth.

I thought this was a bug and looked at the GHB and the entry says "Leader, Behemoth if carrying a Spiderfang Grot Shaman" although it says "Behemoth" in battlefield role.

Does this mean that the Warscroll Builder is correct or is 4 the absolute maximum one could take in a list? 

If anyone else has looked at this in more detail than me I would love to know as I'm only just starting out in Spiderfang and would love to somehow shoehorn 5 of these things into a list (I am really creeped out by the model and thats cool as heck to me to get a visceral reaction to a model midgame)

Cheers!

Double+ Big boss on spider finally makes sense to have his command ability available where it is needed most - everywhere!

In addition picking a Fungoid Caveshaman as allied General to enable run and charge, so spiders could potentially alpha-strike :D

Come on AoS2, can't get here soon enough.  I played Sylvaneth yesterday at 1500 points, old rules. 

2 big spider shamans, 2 boss spiders, 35 small spiders.

It did not go well.  Both shooty and fighty Kurnoths tore my stuff up.  To be fair, I missed on critical priority roll that might have let me choose where some of the fights were going to happen rather than having them thrust upon me.

So as @Chris Tomlin mentioned I have been building a Spiderfang army for 6 months now.  Some of you may have seen my progress over on twitter (#fromembertoinferno if you want to see more).   It's a hobby project, rather than a gaming one, so teh army is not effective at all (in fact I am hoping to grab the wooden sppon at the upcoming BLACKOUT event in Cardiff).

Anyways here are few pictures of what I have done with my army

IMG_8134.JPG.7ff4aaf2be19107a0e5c81258e37b5d9.JPGIMG_8135.JPG.7b46bfad0babf407466c2a5decd2b07e.JPG

IMG_8136.JPG.da84cbf0caf654d680f0d24779759b99.JPGIMG_8137.JPG.aef6d390b079c97a6e799bc83dd80011.JPG

IMG_8138.JPG.d7361b82eb96a3cc84be764904a2c2fa.JPGIMG_8139.JPG.699d20afee58c98f9b51a74be8499e02.JPG

IMG_8140.JPG.ce4f3d66b3c23579cab7c6d6bbafee16.JPGIMG_8141.JPG.c118341279004a790160e8f1573c627c.JPG

IMG_8142.JPG.bb3a6ecf198dd6a36b0e3ce1386c0bbe.JPGIMG_8143.JPG.507018e26b9d711d9d85ee2fc243f3a3.JPG

IMG_8144.JPG.741f373c52d8f5382cee17684c05935f.JPG

• Like 12