Hardest kit you've built?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, The Golem said:

That old metal gyrocopter. The rotor blades were a nightmare because they were always falling apart.

640?cb=20160708092517

oh don't get me started!!! I still field it without it's wings! It's impossible. I genuinly kept it in a cabinet and still some mornings they suddenly had fallen af. Let alone travel with it.... Glad they switched to balloon from that perspective :D  

16 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

The GW woods/trees are another terrain kit that is a pain to put together.  The bodies of the trees just don’t line up and leave big gaps.  Also the mold lines on that kit are terrible - I have a bunch and they are all awful.

That said, the models are trees - so you can get away with being lazy or fast with cleaning the mold lines and basic gap filling.  Trees are easy like that.

Amen to this, I was shocked how much of a pain that kit is, considering it's just three pretty simple trees. As you say I ended up just getting lazy with mine and ignoring half the mould lines/gaps 

2 hours ago, Kramer said:

oh don't get me started!!! I still field it without it's wings! It's impossible. I genuinly kept it in a cabinet and still some mornings they suddenly had fallen af. Let alone travel with it.... Glad they switched to balloon from that perspective :D  

I even heard some people attached the blades to their gyrocopter using a soldering iron because otherwise nothing works. o_O

My GW top 2 :

1. Ikit Klaw - Like others have said, just miserable. I love the model but holy cow it took a minor miracle to get mine together. They really need a plastic version for this kit. 

2. Spirt Hosts - Again I love the models but ugh they are fiddly.  

I tried both Malifaux and Infinity and liked the games but ended up quitting because of the models. I love some of the Malifaux sculpts but the pieces are sooooo small sometimes, I just gave up; and you have not known pain until you have struggled with some of Infinity's small metal sculpts. 

Honorable mention to Palladium Books' Robotech minis. An absolute nightmare neatly delivered in approximately 1 million small pieces.

Oh boy, that Zombie Dragon...

In general it is a really nice to build kit, but I had planned to combine the Terrorgheist's pose with the Zombiedragon's head, which in itself turned out to be quite a bit more difficult than expected, since each head and throat are made to fit together in different ways.

Anyway, after a bit of fiddling, trimming and applying procreate here and there, I managed to pull it off in a reasonable amount of time. 

Looking at the model, something seemed lacking and I finally realized that the dragon head had a seperate set of upper jaw teeth to go with it, so I tried to glue them on...

A good hour later I was done. It took me just as long to put these two small plastic pieces into that dragon's mouth than the rest of the kit. The right set of teeth just wouldn't fit in and there is very little space to maneuver and apply pressure once everything else is glued in place.  A veritable nightmare - but one that I could have avoided. So if you are ever going to put that thing together, glue the teeth on before the rest of the head ;)

The result is amazing though. The Zombie Dragon has to be one of the most beautiful kits I've ever built.

Also, the metal Bloodthirster deserves a mention. Those wings were massive and gravity soon taught me the value of pinning.

7 hours ago, The Golem said:

I even heard some people attached the blades to their gyrocopter using a soldering iron because otherwise nothing works. o_O

That is actually a pretty good idea. I might just give that a go ?

On 6/2/2018 at 2:07 AM, SuperHappyTime said:

Plastic GW: Sisters of the Thorn/Wild Riders Kit. Seekers of Slaanesh would be an honorable mention, because arms attach to bodies with non-interlocking and very tiny connections that fall off too easily. The SotT/WR kit has this special problem, but unlike the Seekers, who can sit on the Steeds without much issue, not a single rider sits on the elk mounts in a stable fashion. This is bad when you want to use the models before painting them, have to keep them separate to make painting easier, but want to chuck them in the garbage because they keep falling off.

Glad I'm not the only one who struggles with SotT. I like the models but they are frustrating: the arms, the dynamic riding positions, the little crossed javelins that seem to just sit in the middle of their backs, the mould lines on their deer, but maybe worst of all is that delicate unstable head/hair/neck joint. Don't know how many times I accidentally popped a head off.

Death models seem to be particularly bad in this respect. I've struggled to build the Terrorgeist, Mortarch, and Mortis Engine. Spirit hosts are fiddly, but I think i've got the hang of them now. I have one hexwraith who simply doesn't have hands, because after five attempts to assemble his scythe I gave up and decided he was the ghost of a thief who had his hands cut off for various offenses, before finally facing the gallows. I've had so much trouble building the army that I'm considering naming them "The Nightmares" as a result!

13 hours ago, Brightstar said:

Black knights for AOS. Posing them with those spindly arm joints was a nightmare. 

As much as people complain of about the lack of customization of monopose models, I'll take that trade off for multipart arms and weapons that are hard to tell where they go.

16 hours ago, TheWilddog said:

2. Spirt Hosts - Again I love the models but ugh they are fiddly.  

I love my Nighthaunt army, but these are the reason I stopped at 1600 points and added allies. Hopefully the new Nighthaunt stuff isn't as fiddly.

A fair amount of old lead is a contender here but I'll have to go for the last Dark Elf Hydra that came in metal. Assembling this model was responsible for me buying a Dremel. I pinned all the heads by hand and then I decided to never repeat that again.

Shared second place: pinning the swords on the metal Dark Elf Executioners by hand and assembling the Bretonnian Trebuchet.

Compared to that I've barely had trouble with plastic. The Seraphon Carnosaur was the most frustrating for me to assemble and getting everything to stick in the right place. I fear for the fiddly staffs of my Changeling and Gaunt Summoner though as they make a very easy snap.

dark-elf-hydra-1.png?w=1000&h=

dark-elf-executioners-3.png?w=1000&h=

On 6/2/2018 at 2:02 AM, Charles said:

You can see how much Games Workshop model quality has moved forward with new AoS models, I barely ever have to remove mould lines on my Khorne but these Sisters have line in almost every part of them (tiered armour, hair, fingers, staffs) and they are so delicate you have to be very careful.

Surprised to see that. I find I have to clean every piece of every kit I buy these days. The joy of assembly from when I was a kid is totally gone with the new releases. It's just work now. (Then again, as a kid, I didn't even know what mould lines were)

Ears on gore gruntas were a pain. I find the terrorgheist/zombie dragon pretty easy actually except when it comes to putting him on the base. If the feet didn't line up properly you have to play with it. Same problem with celestant prime. 

I'd love to like prosecutors but between assembling their wings and the horrible experience of painting them, I have sworn off those models. Every single wing I put together broke in some place.

The Forgeworld Keeper of Secrets is perhaps the most difficult and time consuming model I've ever built. At first it looked simple enough, and then I noticed a few things:

- The fingernails on its raised hand all sit on the fingers. Well, they're meant to sit on the fingers. In reality they fall off the fingers if you give them a sideways glance. Gods help you if you want to transport it. 

- The sword is perhaps the most flimsy piece of resin I've ever used, and I guarantee that any amount of pressure will snap it. It also has to be glued on by just placing it on the clenched fist and hoping it doesn't fall off or snap before the glue dries 

- The tendrils on the back of its used have to be trimmed down before they can fit into the holes provided, and you have to heat them up in water to shape them, which is just a massive faff on.

- Finally, the leg spikes. These are possibly the most frustrating thing ever conceptualized by man. The leg is smooth, apart from some pathetic excuses for dimples to glue the spikes on. The spikes are between one and two millimeters and have no point that makes them easy to connect. As you have to use superglue the spikes stick to your fingers or the tweezers rather than the leg. It's like performing keyhole surgery with GW clippers. Chaos gods help you if one of the spikes drop to the floor - that thing has gone to the warp. 

To illustrate how bad it is, I got so fed up of it that I offered to pay the manager of my GW to build it for me. He just laughed and said that no amount of money was worth touching that kit. 

Archived