Age of Sigmar: Second Edition

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CaptainNippon said:

Because not every player is primarily concerned with better results.

Also, they might want to use BCR-specific allegiance abilities .

Exactly this. If a player was only concerned with better results, they wouldn't be bothered by allies, nor would they likely be playing Destruction given the way folks seem to rail on their efficacy. 

13 minutes ago, heywoah_twitch said:

Quite right, but I'm some kind of hopeful idealist who thinks that every army should have a fair shake at competitiveness if they build and play well.

Nothing suggests that this isn't the goal. 

3 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Agreed. The game, the current game, is designed with them in mind.

Left over Warhammer mental stuff creates the stigma.

I thought it was mostly because allies kinda suck? Like, cool ya get a firebelly, or a big unit of grots or w/e but like...they don't get any of your allegiance abilities or relics or anything so an opponent's mage that get like super + whatever to whatever and some fancy relic of doinsumstuff is going to be worth way more for probably the same points, and a big brick of witchelves is gonna rip through those gobbos no issue for 90pts cheaper. 

If your opponent rolls up with the real good stuff in the magic phase, he can totally shut out pretty much any allied caster. I mean, if you roll up with a firebelly and the dude across from you got a LoC, you basically threw those points away 'cause you don't have anything to pump the firebelly up with.

19 minutes ago, Bellfree said:

I thought it was mostly because allies kinda suck? Like, cool ya get a firebelly, or a big unit of grots or w/e but like...they don't get any of your allegiance abilities or relics or anything so an opponent's mage that get like super + whatever to whatever and some fancy relic of doinsumstuff is going to be worth way more for probably the same points, and a big brick of witchelves is gonna rip through those gobbos no issue for 90pts cheaper. 

If your opponent rolls up with the real good stuff in the magic phase, he can totally shut out pretty much any allied caster. I mean, if you roll up with a firebelly and the dude across from you got a LoC, you basically threw those points away 'cause you don't have anything to pump the firebelly up with.

Then don't bring Firebellies against enemies who field Nagash or LoCs if you feel like their other abilities are not worth the points - These guys will and should dominate the magic phase. Against any other army with "normal" wizards  they will serve just fine for unbinding and support casting and they are also fairly competent in close combat and at short range.

53 minutes ago, Infernalslayer said:

Owning a Brayherd army, i did cringe a little when i read comments on BCR getting a non-satisfying Warhammer Community faction focus and being the worst faction in the game ?

Come on! What about ungors? Did you forget about ungors!? Best unit in the game. ??

2 hours ago, Lemondish said:

I don't think I'll ever understand the issue with allies. Whatever it is, I think it's way too early to state anything definitively, so I'm personally going to remain positive. I'm sorry that you don't feel that way, unfortunately. I hope you give the edition and the changes a fair shake and look for positives in the relics, spells, and other new things that may make you less inclined to feel so much doom and gloom. 

As a KO player, I don't want to ally with stormcast to have access to magic or be gud, and I suspect BCR armies feel similar. If I have to take allies, I want them to work thematically.

35 minutes ago, CaptainNippon said:

Then don't bring Firebellies against enemies who field Nagash or LoCs if you feel like their other abilities are not worth the points - These guys will and should dominate the magic phase. Against any other army with "normal" wizards  they will serve just fine for unbinding and support casting and they are also fairly competent in close combat and at short range.

tzeentch dominate everything and it isn't good. I am wondering how they are going to nerf them this go around, and if it will work this time.

18 minutes ago, stratigo said:

As a KO player, I don't want to ally with stormcast to have access to magic or be gud, and I suspect BCR armies feel similar. If I have to take allies, I want them to work thematically.

Forgive me, but isn't it thematic that KO does not have access to magic? What is gud? Not familiar with that acronym. 

17 minutes ago, Lemondish said:

Forgive me, but isn't it thematic that KO does not have access to magic? What is gud? Not familiar with that acronym. 

It may be, though it takes a modicum of creativity to give KO ability to do magic stuff since their tech is all magitech. Aether gold is literally magic infused.  And I want my army playable without violating to theme of the army.

it's the good part of the common comment of "git gud".

12 minutes ago, stratigo said:

It may be, though it takes a modicum of creativity to give KO ability to do magic stuff since their tech is all magitech. Aether gold is literally magic infused.  And I want my army playable without violating to theme of the army.

it's the good part of the common comment of "git gud".

Well, that seems like a silly comment for a game like AoS haha

Couldn't you just ally in a mage but convert a KO model to represent it and match the visual theme?

10 minutes ago, Lemondish said:

Well, that seems like a silly comment for a game like AoS haha

Couldn't you just ally in a mage but convert a KO model to represent it and match the visual theme?

I'd be fine if I could ally in any mage except the stormcast one. I'm running a bunch of dirty sky pirates, stormcast don't quite... work with that idea right? Just some random mercenary human mage, sure.

51 minutes ago, stratigo said:

I'd be fine if I could ally in any mage except the stormcast one. I'm running a bunch of dirty sky pirates, stormcast don't quite... work with that idea right? Just some random mercenary human mage, sure.

It's all about what works for your story of course, but it seems to me that the Knight-Incantor (the lady with the Spirit Flasks) might find a need to trade/explore with the Overlords. Scoundrels and Laser Knights often end up adventuring together.

23 minutes ago, Envyus said:

Honestly I kind of want to just say ****** Ironweld Arsenal and merge them into the Disspossed and Free People Armies. 

Got that backwards son. The dispossessed and free people's need to embrace the wonders of SCIENCE! and accept the arsonal as their one true master (aside from nagash, blessed be his name)

11 hours ago, oscisi said:

I think the "clock thing", the Chronomantic Cogs, are inherent to Chamon, the realm of Metal. Tried to get it organised to get a better idea. This is what I came up with. Some of it is pure guessing though, and the drawings are just for fun.20180602_200524.jpg.4efde37692c7fedac07cc297a8078e55.jpg

I love your purple sun :D

3 hours ago, stratigo said:

Why not convert yourself a mercenary human mage and use the rules for a knight-incantor for them? Just need to make sure they've got some armour, a staff, and a flask. 

3 hours ago, stratigo said:

You can just use the Warscroll and build a fitting model. Thats what I did with the Lord-Ordinator for my Kharadron Overlords army. I took a admiral, gave him two hammers and some azyr-looking bits. 
Works for me. 

5 hours ago, Infernalslayer said:

Owning a Brayherd army, i did cringe a little when i read comments on BCR getting a non-satisfying Warhammer Community faction focus and being the worst faction in the game ?

I really want to start a beastmen army but I hope they bring all the beasts together again instead of brayherds and warherds. I think then beasts would not be too bad with a slight update to the warscrolls

7 hours ago, Bellfree said:

You're not the worst faction in the game. I'm pretty sure you're not even the worst battle-tome army in the game. You'd have to fight it out with Ironjawz and FEC players to know that one though.

Oh really? Hmm how strange I have seen reports about ironjaws placing high in rather few GT, and somehow I have missed all those BCR doing the same. The last time BCR did good, it was pre General hand book, and those weren't even actual BCR lists, but stuff like 2 stonehorns and Rukk etc

7 hours ago, Lemondish said:

I don't think I'll ever understand the issue with allies. Whatever it is, I think it's way too early to state anything definitively, so I'm personally going to remain positive. I'm sorry that you don't feel that way, unfortunately.

Oh that is easy to explain. Let me guess, you play an army that does ok on its own, so ally are considered a minor buff or a change of playstyle. It is very different when your army is bad, because then with each ally unit added, your asking yourself why do you actually play with your army at all. Because if you just started with the stuff you allied in, you would have had more fun. Sadly GW does not have a return policy, as far as not working armies goes.

6 hours ago, Sleboda said:

Agreed. The game, the current game, is designed with them in mind.

Left over Warhammer mental stuff creates the stigma.

I never played Warhammer, before I started BCR. It looks more like people with good armies, and good alies, want to have more options, and when someone with a bad army says, that he would like his army to be good, he is faced with the stuff like you do.  Let me guess you play a good faction right?

5 hours ago, CaptainNippon said:

yeah, the thing is 2.0 seems to be all about magic. But then again am not suprised, before when BCR players said that they struggle with the objective game, and we were told the same. Fixs are coming in the GH, though only nerfs happened. You should have struggle with objectives or just take ally. At the same time those peoples armies were doing great in caping objectives, killing stuff, not getting nerfed in the GH and working just great without ally.

Also as my expiriance with the use of  wizards  is rather limited. how does taking a firebelly help against an army who runs 3-4 wizards, out of which one is always something like a LoS or a Nagash etc. Because, and I maybe wrong here, it seems to me that the firebelly is not going to help a lot with all those spells being cast around. At the same time, he is not going to cast spells of his own, and as he is kind of a bad in melee and slower then the rest of the BCR army, he is kind of a wasted points. Or am I missing something here?

7 hours ago, CaptainNippon said:

Because not every player is primarily concerned with better results.

Also, they might want to use BCR-specific allegiance abilities .

The fact that masochists exist, does not mean, opening the days with a whiping session is a good idea for people.  I would partly agree with you, if BCR were mid of the pack army, maybe a bit lower, but they are not. They horrible, specially for an army with a tome. Also while it is true that some one may want to pick up any model for painting, it is has zero transferance to gaming. A painter could be painting anything, it could even be a non AoS model, but it does not mean that because infinity gets new models BCR players should be happy.

24 minutes ago, blueshirtman said:

The fact that masochists exist, does not mean, opening the days with a whiping session is a good idea for people.  I would partly agree with you, if BCR were mid of the pack army, maybe a bit lower, but they are not. They horrible, specially for an army with a tome. Also while it is true that some one may want to pick up any model for painting, it is has zero transferance to gaming. A painter could be painting anything, it could even be a non AoS model, but it does not mean that because infinity gets new models BCR players should be happy.

They really aren’t that bad. They might not be tournament level as of yet, but they’re great fun to play at the store or in gaming groups and I win a bunch. 

Like, if in your experience they don’t win a game, that’s just your personal experience. I win all the time when I use them, and I’m excited for the changes and rumoured changes that are coming for them. 

57 minutes ago, blueshirtman said:

New edition drops real soon, mate. I honestly think they, and my beloved Ironjawz, are going to be better this time round. I would always take an allied caster in either army to fire some things off in the magic phase. Your own Endless Spells, or even the realm spells!

BCR are a bit of tricky proposition to balance really. As a pure faction they struggle in most of the Matched Play scenarios as they lack the numbers for those sort of objectives. Their units are very powerful however and can be incredibly useful  as allies or as part of a mixed Destrcution force (as seen in GHB16). It presents a bit of a situation trying to get both sides of it right. 

I think I may also be the only Destruction player who thinks the Stone Skeleton rule as it’s described now is how it should have always been interpreted 

Really don’t see the issue of taking allies to strengthen a force for competitive play. If one is going for a particular narrative in their list it’s likely it will not be quite a powerful as one tailored for competitive play

2 hours ago, pseudonyme said:

I love your purple sun :D

Hehe it does seem ready to hiss out "Koffing! Koffing!"

I'll blame it on the fact that I wasn't looking at the models but only drawing based on my memory of how they look.

Any ideas of which the last Endless spells might be? We already know from the Stormcast podcast that there will be 13 of them in the box (and that the Balewind Vortex will be considered the 14th one).

Archived