The State of GHBs

I have GHB16, but not 17 and have found out that the points costs for my current army (FEC) have changed and there are allegiance abilities for specific armies. Ok, no biggie, but two questions:

1) I wonder if I ned to get GHB17 or at this point just wait for GHB18

2) More importantly, is all of this information going to be repeated every year? I mean, is GHB18 also going to have the allegience abilities in it...or is this going to be come a case where we use pts from GHB18, abilities from GHB17, scenario from GHB16, rule X from GHB19, and rule Y from GHB17? I'm guessing each GHB replaces the year before (besides maybe scenarios) otherwise...is this going to be a case of lugging around each of these annual books to play?

Not a rant, but a curiosity.

Thanks!

If you want to stay current and play in the tournament scene, you need to buy each General's Handbook to ensure you have the current rules for your army.

If you just play casually, make sure you have the same version as your opponent and you're sorted

7 minutes ago, Mr. White said:

I have GHB16, but not 17 and have found out that the points costs for my current army (FEC) have changed and there are allegiance abilities for specific armies. Ok, no biggie, but two questions:

1) I wonder if I ned to get GHB17 or at this point just wait for GHB18

2) More importantly, is all of this information going to be repeated every year? I mean, is GHB18 also going to have the allegience abilities in it...or is this going to be come a case where we use pts from GHB18, abilities from GHB17, scenario from GHB16, rule X from GHB19, and rule Y from GHB17? I'm guessing each GHB replaces the year before (besides maybe scenarios) otherwise...is this going to be a case of lugging around each of these annual books to play?

Not a rant, but a curiosity.

Thanks!

Honestly at this point we dont know. 17 replaced 16 easily and entirely, but 17 had all the allegiance stuff which could be seen as a waste to repeat?  We dont know what they will do though,

I think the short answer is that we don't quite know yet.  '17 updated everything in '16, with the only thing that could be used from '16 is the Battleplans.

'17 added in a handful of allegiance abilities for armies which we assume aren't getting a Battletome this year (and a few Battalions), but until we get '18 we're not entirely sure how GW are going to handle it - it's possible that Allegiance Abilities in '17 will be released as a PDF, alternatively they might just stay in the old book.

At this point we know that the Pitched Battle Profiles will be updated:

“UPDATED PROFILES AUGUST 2017
Whenever we publish a new edition of the General’s Handbook or a new battletome, we review, update and fine-tune the Pitched Battle profiles for all of the models. This means that the profiles printed here take precedence over any profiles with an earlier publication date, and also take precedence over profiles that have no publication date at all” GHB 2017 (p.86)

We don’t know what else will be updated.

Even if you don’t play Matched Play the other game types and battle plans were top notch. And would give many different ways to play.

At this point a digital copy (if you have a device with an ePub3 reader on it) is a solid value. 

Last year they removed PtG from the GHB.

I’m expecting that we will see new battleplans, new ways to play.

Allegiance Abilities may be brought forward, but that is an unknown as @RuneBrush pointed out.

If you play, it’s a solid value.

If you don’t play ... well ... I recommend taking time to put stuff on the table and rolling some dice with friends  :) 

The battleplans will almost certainly not be repeated. Nor are they likely to reprint the material for siege warfare, triumph and treachery campaigns, and the other cool Narrative and Open stuff in the book. I would hope that when it comes to allegiance abilities, they wouldn't reprint the ones in the GHB 2017 but rather add more for the factions that still haven't been covered.

2 hours ago, Barkanaut said:

Hoping for some ko buffs. 

At this point they just need an entirely new battletome to incorporate all the changes via various faqs which have invalidated several things in the battletome. As well as the make more than one build competitive. 

22 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

At this point they just need an entirely new battletome to incorporate all the changes via various faqs which have invalidated several things in the battletome. As well as the make more than one build competitive. 

Hoping for next year with new models as their range looks so small compared to the spoiled Deepkin and DoK players with their lavish ranges.

27 minutes ago, Barkanaut said:

Hoping for next year with new models as their range looks so small compared to the spoiled Deepkin and DoK players with their lavish ranges.

I find it somewhat funny that Fyreslayers and Kharadron Overlords have the opposite issue. Fyreslayers need more units that aren't just infantry blobs, whilst the Kharadrons need at least another Battleline infantry unit. 

22 minutes ago, LLV said:

New edition this summer will change a lot of this up I would imagine.

True but still GW gave us the tantalizing teaser of more to come for the ko. On one hand I want to see more quick, but on the other I want them to take their time to make some really cool stuff.  

1 minute ago, Barkanaut said:

True but still GW gave us the tantalizing teaser of more to come for the ko. On one hand I want to see more quick, but on the other I want them to take their time to make some really cool stuff.  

Wait, there was a Teaser for more Kharadron Overlords?
I heard the rumors that they are selling really well and will get new Stuff somewhere down the line but I haven't seen anything substantial.

We are unlikely to get another situation (like) where they redid the KO Thunderers Warscroll and put it into the GHB. That was done to address an issue where the Warscroll was out of alignment with the contents of the kit.

In any case, specific wishlisting and KO discussion probably would be best in the KO discussion thread:

I don't have the General's Handbook 2017 either - mainly because I am time poor at the moment and painting and playing Silver Tower has been keeping me busy. I'd read Tyler Mengel's excellent review of the handbook. There is a lot more cool stuff in it than just points for matched play. I really like the sound of the content for open play for example.

4 hours ago, Gecktron said:

Wait, there was a Teaser for more Kharadron Overlords?
I heard the rumors that they are selling really well and will get new Stuff somewhere down the line but I haven't seen anything substantial.

I swear I seen an image on Facebook a week or two after they came out that said we could expect more in the future. It also said they sold extremely well. 

I have both GH's. I think the first one was an overall better book, it introduced points, had better Battleplans and the Path to Glory rules. GH 2017 was still worth it for the updated points and necessary for the allegiance abilities and stuff for certain armies. I don't regret the purchase but I preferred AoS Skirmish, Path to Glory and Malign Portents over GH17 and if I hadn't bought it when it came out I would probably skip it at this point. 

I'm sure GW is going to update the point values (maybe make Battalions worth taking again), but I doubt they will repeat the rest of the stuff.

I'm already using Battleplans and Rules from several books but I don't usually carry more then two books when I go to the local shop to play. It'll be my armies Battletome and the most relevant book to what is going on; recently it's been Malign Portents, before that Path to Glory and Skirmish. I also tend to use the app and I keep my army roster in a printout from the Warscroll builder. 

6 hours ago, Wraith01 said:

I have both GH's. I think the first one was an overall better book, it introduced points, had better Battleplans and the Path to Glory rules. GH 2017 was still worth it for the updated points and necessary for the allegiance abilities and stuff for certain armies. I don't regret the purchase but I preferred AoS Skirmish, Path to Glory and Malign Portents over GH17 and if I hadn't bought it when it came out I would probably skip it at this point.

Wow im the exact opposite - i bought GH17 on release day and have used it in every game since, whereas Skirmish, PtG and MP i just read and moved on!

They will need a solution to keeping the Allegiance Abilities available, and most could stand to be expanded on with extra spell, prayer and artefact lists, at least to the equivalence of the Legion of Nagash allegiances.

Updated points and new scenarios makes it pretty much a must buy.

The only misfire for me was the expanded triumph and treachery rules, which i found completely unnecessary and over-complicated. The GH16 T&T rules are pretty much my ideal game of AoS, so just more scenarios would be worth it for me.

The Realm rules are a good concept, but too specific to be practical (we're in Ghur, oh look random monsters...) - i would like something more like the Shyishan Realmscape chart.

Overall i am very much in favour of how the GHs are being used to keep the game fresh each year!

Archived