SCE: Blanche vs reality

Immersturm

Compare the current SCE we have now to these Blanche sketches:

33c921e41fc733322c1df84d20a3d362.jpg

(you can google it, there are some more)

Why do the sketches look so amazing and fit perfectly into the Warhammer Fantasy setting, almost seemlessly blending with Sigmar, the Empire and their style, whereas the current SCE look so much more generic and out of place by comparison? What is this sorcery :D I'd love to recreate it, but I have no idea how :o

Cheers

I guess the reason is that the scetches and the basic concept of the Stormcast Eternals has also been made during the Warhammer Fantasy era. Without AoS they propably would have been a support faction for the empire. If you look at the design ideas.

The Scetch on the bottom right side looks female.

Though looking at the design, the base concept is the same. Yet they look very different. Is it the robes and empire-esque art that set it apart? As I said, i can not quite pin down what given the Blanche Eternals that distuigishing style, bordering on grimdark when compared to the actual ones.

Sketches are there to provide inspiration for the sculptors and art team to build off.

Most models, especially those concepted by Blanche, only have basic forms and ideas represented in the final product.

26 minutes ago, Immersturm said:

Why do the sketches look so amazing and fit perfectly into the Warhammer Fantasy setting, almost seemlessly blending with Sigmar, the Empire and their style

John Blanche is a major driving force behind the creative image of GW products, so it is not wonder why it matches the setting he has helped create.

27 minutes ago, Immersturm said:

whereas the current SCE look so much more generic and out of place by comparison?

Models have to be painted, and stormcast, as the marketed face of AoS, have to be accessible to new hobbyists. They are the creative parallel to Space marines, whom have the same blanche twist in his concept, but are modelled very cleanly.
As for the 'out of place', of course they look stylistically different to other models, as the majority of AoS models are directly imported from WHFB, wherein the style germinated over decades. Stormcast Eternals, Khadron Overlords, Idoneth Deepkin, and to a lesser extent Disciples of Khaine, look significantly alien to the old world, with only small design elements to tie them to the old world. 

1 minute ago, BarrowLord said:

The armor proportions in those sketches are more realistic (even if slightly exaggerated) and the frame of the wearer is leaner and less boxy than current SCEs.  The overall effect is something that looks more human.

YES! Thank you! That seems definitely to be one of the major points. You can not iamgine the relief I feel now that I see it to :D

I've heard than the Stormcast Eternals were indeed imagined for the Old World, as mechanic soldiers created by Balthazar Gelt( they have exactly the same mask after all) to compensate all the human losses of the Empire.

In the same way, the Fyreslayers actually appear in the End Time books, seen from afar, and were the followers of the Slayer King Ungrim Ironfist when he was the incarnate of Fire.

46 minutes ago, Shadowspite said:

Personally, I'm glad GW didn't go overboard on the Blanchitsu for the Stormcast models. I'd hate to think of Angharadh and Neave with the stupid conical boobplate and ridiculous fetish heels Blanche sticks on all his female characters...

Exactly. 

The boob plate of Neave and the Shadespire liberator are still too pronounced for my taste but GW is slowly getting there.

Because the GW versions were obviously designed to be as close to Space Marines as possible as a way to appeal to the 40k audience and it worked.

"Hey kids, you're finally fatigued of your 10,000pt Ultramarines or collecting your fifth chapter? Look, a another GW system with FANTASY Marines!"

I think Blanche's definitely look a lot closer to what you'd have expected from fantasy-something and could've been slotted into the Empire/Free Guilds without too much trouble.  I doubt the Stormcast would have quite so many detractors if they'd stuck to it as well.

On 28-3-2018 at 1:15 PM, Immersturm said:

Compare the current SCE we have now to these Blanche sketches:

33c921e41fc733322c1df84d20a3d362.jpg

(you can google it, there are some more)

Why do the sketches look so amazing and fit perfectly into the Warhammer Fantasy setting, almost seemlessly blending with Sigmar, the Empire and their style, whereas the current SCE look so much more generic and out of place by comparison? What is this sorcery :D I'd love to recreate it, but I have no idea how :o

Cheers

LOL you say it blends with WH fantasy .. which is about the most generic IP ever (which is why GW had problems on that front) and then say AoS is generic...  either you don't know the meaning of the word or you are just not very smart. 
Anyway... you like these sketches better... fine.. just don't use words you don't understand to back that up please.

Personally I find most of these sketches to look just about the same as my miniatures so I don't see where you get the difference anyway.

These look amazing. Then again, I like Blanche's style. 

I'd totally buy an huge bunch of SCE if they looked like this (less goofy and brick-like with better proportions). I never was a fan of the Warcraft-style that GW currently employs, which probably explains this.

LUV this guy:

03eaa1cc1d27d7aaa98c010dab312982.jpg

On 3/31/2018 at 6:32 PM, Aezeal said:

LOL you say it blends with WH fantasy .. which is about the most generic IP ever (which is why GW had problems on that front) and then say AoS is generic...  either you don't know the meaning of the word or you are just not very smart. 
Anyway... you like these sketches better... fine.. just don't use words you don't understand to back that up please.

Personally I find most of these sketches to look just about the same as my miniatures so I don't see where you get the difference anyway.

LOL you judge someone else... but you cant see the difference between this:image.png.a53bf8aa926e3c780e418d36fbcacd4c.png

and this: 

image.png.6ce76929ab5337199419944d84841a7f.png

You either can't see or need to put your glasses on! 
Anyway.. you can't see the difference... fine... just don't use your lack of vision to back that up please. 

Personally I think you must be trolling as otherwise you would be a quite rude, so I don't think you could miss which of the two i'm being anyway.

;), life is much more fun if you accept that other peoples opinion that aren't the same as yours aren't wrong. Just a different interpretation, especially regarding art. Have fun, it's a hobby.  

On 3/31/2018 at 5:32 PM, Aezeal said:

+++ Mod Hat On +++

When disagreeing with somebody, it's not a good move to say that they are stupid. It never ends well, especially on these forums as we want everybody to enjoy discussing their hobby. Don't do it again.

On 3/31/2018 at 6:32 PM, Aezeal said:

Or, you know, taste is subjective. Ever thought or that? No? Didn't think so ;)

1 hour ago, Immersturm said:

Or, you know, taste is subjective. Ever thought or that? No? Didn't think so ;)

Please read.. I didn't say you wheren't allowed another opinion.. I just said your arguments where false. I literally wrote "Anyway... you like these sketches better... fine."

It's same in many GW models, they exaggerate the heads and weapons for them to "pop out" from the tabletop. Partly for epicness, partly for easier to spot which has what and for heads the easiness in painting. Thus the proportions of the final models are usually off. For me, I was used to it and didn't mind it, until working with realistically scaled models for a while and after that, most models just look so exaggerated that it starts to nag. It was the same with marines. There it was also the scale creep of all other models that were supposed to be smaller than marines, but the models weren't that led to the Primaris.

Archived